Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some site news...we're moving! [Update in Post #138 4/6/21]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,922 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There is a full range of emojis including a rolling eye one but no pacman :pac: :eek:

No! Save Pac-Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It should fix all of that and more :D

You will not be able to see who has viewed your profile and no, when the site is read-only no one will be able to post. If they did somehow manage to their posts would be lost in the changeover.
    Yes, I have only checked Vimeo so far which works but if there are any other sites you want checked just post them here and I'll take a look.
    Thanks. Not sure of a list of sites, No doubt others will have more. Mainly the ones often used in the funny pics and vids subs.

imgur.gifv example - https://i.imgur.com/i38fefZ.gifv
    imgur.mp4 - https://i.imgur.com/EV5Qdng.mp4
    itemfix.com - https://www.itemfix.com/v?t=egtjj4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

Is there any mention feature on new site? where one user can mention another user, like @Baggly and that user sees they got a mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭AllForIt

On other online forums I'm on that have upgraded their platform I find Badges and multiple versions of 'thanks' to be rather annoying and unnecessary. But maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Noooo save pac-man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Beagslife

Dark mode for me too. Most of my content is now viewed this way.

Let's see how it goes and good luck with the migration 😎

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Suckit wrote: »
    Thanks. Not sure of a list of sites, No doubt others will have more. Mainly the ones often used in the funny pics and vids subs.

imgur.gifv example - https://i.imgur.com/i38fefZ.gifv Inserts a still, you have to click on it to open a new tab and watch the gif
    imgur.mp4 - https://i.imgur.com/EV5Qdng.mp4 This one failed
    itemfix.com - https://www.itemfix.com/v?t=egtjj4 This one came up as a link with a thumbnail that you still have to click to access on a new tab.
    So they don't really work too well I'm afraid.

Neowise wrote: »
    Is there any mention feature on new site? where one user can mention another user, like @Baggly and that user sees they got a mention?

Yes you can tag other users and they can tag you. You can switch off notifications for people tagging you if it's not your cup of tea.

Shield wrote: »
    Will we be able to send images/videos as attachments or embeds via PM?

Thanks.

Yes you can do both (attached or embedded).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

will there be a way t get rid of that annoying banner at the top with the drop down menus. . the 2 middle ones arnt too bad but the talk to an adverts ones are really anoying . they are far to near the most used buttons and far to sensitive. they are always popind down in the way..
    i would be happy if you had to click on them at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can I get a notification if someone replies to one of my posts?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Inviere wrote: »
    Niamh, any changes to the ignore feature? I use a user made grease monkey script currently, which gracefully hides ignored posters which are quoted (the built in one doesnt do this).

You're not getting rid of me *that* easily. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I know it's a fairly run of the mill point at this stage, but I'd add my voice to the chorus asking for the return of dark mode post haste once the move occurs. Please.

Dark mode makes the site look so much better, to an extent that's unbelievable - I honestly don't know how people function without it - whenever I get a glimpse of how the "normal" colour scheme works it hurts my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Can I get a notification if someone replies to one of my posts?

I mentioned this previously also, and now wonder if the tagging...
    Yes you can tag other users and they can tag you. You can switch off notifications for people tagging you if it's not your cup of tea.
    ...could help - maybe a tag could be automatically added to the quote in a reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Will signup date be visible beside all posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Arghus wrote: »
    I know it's a fairly run of the mill point at this stage, but I'd add my voice to the chorus asking for the return of dark mode post haste once the move occurs. Please.

Dark mode makes the site look so much better, to an extent that's unbelievable - I honestly don't know how people function without it - whenever I get a glimpse of how the "normal" colour scheme works it hurts my eyes.

+1 on this. I always have the site in dark mode and really dislike it with the blue colours.

Have fun with the migration :eek:

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Will there be a "Back to top" button in threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I’m 50 next year, I’ve gone through many changes with boards over the years. Wonder will I get hot flushes this time. Probably not, off to buy a Ferrari then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,570 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Overheal wrote: »
    No! Save Pac-Man!

A bigger deal needs to be made out of this, that little yellow dude is a cornerstone of boards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Slightly off topic, but if new features are easier to implement on the new platform and its something admins are placing a focus on, would you consider setting up something like uservoice? This would let people suggest new features, other users could vote for them etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,942 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Boooooo, save pac-man :pac:

And no, I'm not saying boo-urns.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Will "join date" still be under people's avatars?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What is the story with the 10,000 post limit per thread. Do threads that big cause issues on the new platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Zaph wrote: »
    Presumably if I add an admin to a PM conversation the other person will be immediately aware that I've "reported" it. This action in itself may prompt particularly major dicks to subject the other poster to increased abuse as they know there'll be a window between inviting the admin and action being taken, which the reporter may not want to open themselves up to. This could in turn result in fewer reported PMs as people choose to ignore the other poster instead. I know there's the option to submit screenshots, but will there be a proper Report PM function available at a future date? And if a poster sends a screenshot of a PM they have an issue with, will there be a specific "mailbox" they can send it to that will take over the function of the Reported PMs forum, or will it be a case of adding a bunch of admins/office staff to the PM? The reason I ask this is that quite a few people seem to be unsure of who the admins are these days. I still get semi-regular PMs asking me to delete posts, etc. :)

A lot of the issue with people not knowing who are admins etc is you all going for these super cool tag lines under your name instead of your forum function.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

What is the story with the 10,000 post limit per thread. Do threads that big cause issues on the new platform?

I asked this when they tried moving away from vBulletin the last time, dav said the limit would stay,

but davs not here any more....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I asked this when they tried moving away from vBulletin the last time, dav said the limit would stay,

but davs not here any more....

I don't remember them ever trying to move away from vBulletin. Was that for the responsive site? I can see why it would stay with that as it was still using the same back end which is where the issues are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They never moved fully away from vBulletin because the users didn't want change, the move from the old skin to the current style was too much for some

This is what dav was saying at the time
    Dav wrote: »
    95% of our tech team's time is being spent working on the feedback received on the beta test so far. But there are only 3 of them and they're not miracle workers. :)

I've tried explaining this before, but haven't done a good enough job obviously. So I'll do my best again to break down what's happening and why.

1) we need to be rid of VBulletin. It hasn't been fit for purpose for years. The Talk To forums and touch. no longer run on it thankfully. The rest of the site has to be moved away from it.

2) we have neither the time, money nor man-power to run 2 separate sites and dedicated apps. There are 3 developers and a sys admin in house to manage the technical needs of one of the biggest sites in this country.

3) responsive websites are the perfect solution to where the internet is right now - you have one site that figures out what kind of device you're using and serves you the appropriate layout. Mobile traffic is now more than half of Boards total - it was only about 30-35% this time last year.

4) not being tied to VBulletin means that changes take days instead of weeks to implement. Not having what currently amounts to 3 sites (plus apps) running in parallel means that the team's workload is DRASTICALLY reduced in terms of maintenance, changes and tweaks.

5) to the people who think we're just doing this for the craic - you are being big silly heads :D I really don't think I need to expand on this, do I?

The most difficult thing in the online world to do, it seems, is change a website. You get almost universal hatred and criticism from the existing community of members who never, ever want anything to change. You can't get accurate feedback from the people you're hoping to attract because they cannot figure out the current site as it is and don't know how to give feedback. I would like to think that Boards has always done its best to give people what they want - we've never shied away from criticism or feedback and when there's an overwhelming majority of people looking for something to be changed, we do it. Making this move means we're going to be able to do it a LOT sooner. To the multitudes saying "ain't broke - don't fix" have no idea what they're talking about I'm afraid. They have neither the statistics nor the thousands of emails a year nor the feedback from people we want to do business with about how difficult our site is to use. Like it or not, we want and need more members and making the site more friendly to new people is how we do that.

We've thankfully had a lot of useful and detailed over the last few months which is why things have gone quiet on the Responsive Site Testing forum, the stuff's been read, sorted and prioritised and is being worked on. When there's a major update pushed, there'll be news about it there and the change notes listed and the process will be repeated. It's an iterative process, it takes time and above all your help (which you all do, please don't think we don't appreciate that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

It just seems blindingly obvious to separate the technical/behind-the-scenes changes, from the UI/UX changes. This was the core lesson to be learned, from last time.

5 years have passed and the development of the new site has certainly improved a lot more than the last attempt - so stands a much better chance of a successful transition - but the risk is still there when it could be eliminated entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Will be changes to avatars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Is there something that can be done about posters who keep closing their accounts and then starting with new usernames? I know it's not a crime but it can be annoying, particularly if done for trolling purposes. Maybe, where admin can see it is coming from the same source, e.g. same email address, some kind of tick or icon is put beside the username.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement