Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

poisonated wrote: »
    I am a spy. I don't get paid to do it and nobody asked me to do it, I'm just a nosey fecker.

Ah the Irish Secret Service, the greatest in the world

Never heard of it?

Exactly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

I weave dufflecoats of many sizes and colours using a top secret fibre. I haven't sold any yet but they're going to be the next big thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Lift Engineer.
    80k to 85k depending on overtime.
    company van
    Do you like it...or are there....lots of ups and downs....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Even more depressing, I'm sitting on a panel with about 1,000 people ahead of me , awaiting the opportunity to get a start as a clerical officer.
    Ah don't be too depressed, if you work hard go for opportunities etc you can rise up the ranks pretty quickly.
    I started as a CO and am now an AP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

IT Support. 36 basic + bonus that adds up to 12000

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Also remember salary isn't everything. You could have a high salary but very little disposable income if you have kids, high rent etc.

You could be on 35k with no kids, low enough mortgage etc and have far more disposable income.

I'd also prefer a low stress mid level job to a high stress well paid one. That's just me though.

That you P Flynn?

Everytime I see this thread pop up I always wonder if there really is a correlation between amount earned and no life outside of boards.ie

It seems to be the ones who claim they get paid shed loads are also the ones who spend all their life on this website.

Who needs money when you have boards it seems!

Hopefully this is good news for you, but as you progress to senior management roles it's likely you'll have key deadlines such as board meetings. The rest can be delegation, and ultimate responsibility. This comes from the benefit of yourself experiencing life in the trenches. It can avail a lot of free time.

My salary and perks, shur I'd only be lying/boasting :p

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭who what when

Any time the CSO release statistics on salary etc or when recruiters publish salary surveys i always have a look. And from this i know that my salary is in approx the top 40% and our household income is in the top 25% nationally.

So I'm doing more than a little head scratching reading this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

Self employed plasterer
    Salary can vary and this year been difficult but lot worse off than me as I’m at stage where kids are grown up and mortgage paid . I’ll say on average year 80k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Unbelievable the info people post in here. If you had any sense you would make it up who knows who's reading this. Crazy

So I'm doing more than a little head scratching reading this thread!

Why would you compare Boards.ie to the average given the demographic, and self reporting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭sheroman01

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    IT Support. 36 basic + bonus that adds up to 12000

Your bonus goes up to 1/3 of your salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

Unbelievable the info people post in here. If you had any sense you would make it up who knows who's reading this. Crazy

I don't follow? Who would you be afraid of seeing this and why?

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Your bonus goes up to 1/3 of your salary?

Yes. It’s how the company structures it’s pay. I guess if profits drop they are not on the hook for big basic salaries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭sheroman01

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Yes. It’s how the company structures it’s pay. I guess if profits drop they are not on the hook for big basic salaries

Fair point. That's sweet if it comes in!

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Fair point. That's sweet if it comes in!

It’s a monthly bonus and so far so good. I would prefer I higher basic and lower bonus though for added security.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I am an outsourced catering staff member in a pharmaceutical factory.

It's a sh1t job and I hate every minute of it!

Min wage. :(

Catering Assistant/Acting manager position.

(I am working on changing my career though and starting fresh!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

That you P Flynn?

Hopefully this is good news for you, but as you progress to senior management roles it's likely you'll have key deadlines such as board meetings. The rest can be delegation, and ultimate responsibility. This comes from the benefit of yourself experiencing life in the trenches. It can avail a lot of free time.

My salary and perks, shur I'd only be lying/boasting :p

I am a former TD & EU Commissioner
    Well I don't know how much exactly they get, but you are quite right that they do get the same salary, the starting salary as a TD at home & they get expenses for going over & back, as far as I am concerned I get give or take it works out at about with expenses a €140K a year & I pay 30.3% tax on that so its about a net €100K & out of that €100K I run a home in Dublin, Castlebar & Brussels, & I want to tell you something, try it sometime when you've got the cars the 3 houses and homes & the few housekeepers & I want to tell you everything, but remember its a well paid job. Please don't ask me about the Flood Tribunal:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭wassie

Self employed hairdresser.

Just had the best 12 months ever!

*cough*....I mean, struggling to pay bills and still on PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭Tork

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Exceltrup

Software Engineer with a huge American software company - 85k

I do contracting in the evenings, which generally amounts to 1400 per month. I'm very fortunate, though I work 12 hour days as norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

OnlyFans Account Executive.
    Only take home about 4k a month from it. Need to up my followers drastically.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I hate this thread

Don't worry too much, you know what they say....if its on the Internet it must be true.

Someone saying 50k isn't good...isn't bad with 3 years experience. err try saying that to the average person who is on less probably after a lot more time in the workforce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Jesus Christ I hate these kinds of threads so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,597 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Could knock off maybe 50 a month for tyres and servicing.
    Tolls and parking i expense.

Is your accountant a bit of a fool or something? He could lease you a decent brand new motor for substantially less than that?

554258.png

https://glqs.leaseplan.com/en_IE/vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

Don't worry too much, you know what they say....if its on the Internet it must be true.

Someone saying 50k isn't good...isn't bad with 3 years experience. err try saying that to the average person who is on less probably after a lot more time in the workforce

Well that poster said they were a software engineer in Dublin. 50k seems a bit on the low side for that role tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Well that poster said they were a software engineer in Dublin. 50k seems a bit on the low side for that role tbh.

Maybe but overall its still a good salary compared to the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

costacorta wrote: »
    Self employed plasterer
    Salary can vary and this year been difficult but lot worse off than me as I’m at stage where kids are grown up and mortgage paid . I’ll say on average year 80k

80K?? Seriously? What kind of prices are you getting to make that coin, very hard to clear that money as a self employed wet tradesman. Plumber or Sparks might make it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Exceltrup wrote: »
    Software Engineer with a huge American software company - 85k

I do contracting in the evenings, which generally amounts to 1400 per month. I'm very fortunate, though I work 12 hour days as norm.

Wow I don't know how you manage to do both - fair play to you. My previous job was in an American software company, great salary but always dragging me back online in the evening due to time zones. Current is another American company, but it's a slog and I'm wiped out in the evenings. Maybe I'm just too old for all this anymore? Perhaps I should start looking for something part time and ditch the full time altogether - you've sowed a seed in my mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

Doctor. 2 years from finishing training so my salary is online for all to see.

However I've taken a pay cut to do research so i earn

25k for a part time teaching job
    25k for a research bursary

I do have a third locum job where I cover hospital shifts at short notice. This brings in 40-60k per year depending on how hard I work at it.
    My wife has taken a career break to look after our child so the extra money is very welcome.

the entirety of my base salary goes on expenses e.g. mortgage etc, so the company locum income is for disposable spending

So, 25+25+40=90k per year? Not too shabby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I'm an artist, so my income is difficult to calculate.

In the plus column we have: the dole - 10,660/ yr

In the minus column we have some overheads involved with the profession, not including studio space as I use the kitchen table.
    Oil paint/primer: 800.00 per year
    Solvents/oil: 170.00 per year
    Canvas: (use to be 500 per year, now I fish wood out of skips to cut costs)
    Brushes: (have at least 100 in my collection that probably cost around 1.5k in total but sometimes need replacements) 200 per year
    Miscellaneous (paper towels, brush soap, rubber gloves, palettes, random tools): 200 per year.

That's a minimum just for making the work.

For applying to exhibitions which I send out about 1 application every 2 weeks they charge usually around 10 euro per piece (yes the curators charge applying artists a 10er to open up a jpg and glance at it for 30 seconds). This cost has gone down because of covid cancelling everything but we'll say about 260.00 per year before that.

Then, if your piece is accepted you pay to deliver it yourself by courier, in a very good year you might get into 5 exhibitions, most years 2 on average. These cost vary with size of work, for someone making small paintings we can say around 250 euros per year shipping.

You also get to pay for any travel costs and accommodation if you want to travel to the opening to see the exhibition you are in and 'network'. That can cost about min 150-300 per trip if it is just within Ireland. Say around 600.00 per year conservative estimate.

It's around 3k or so, only about a third of your income, that leaves you with about 7k a year to live on if you don't sell anything, which you probably won't, especially the last year.

That's about 130 per week.

It's not bad, you can probably houseshare in Leitrim on that. If you burn all your rubbish, never use the tumble dryer and find out the neighbors wifi code you might just make it.

The good news is that you can still get a job, albeit a minimum wage entry level job, in retail or hospitality, with that fine art degree. But you'll actually have better success finding work in those fields if you leave the qualification off your CV. The employers in those industries tend to frown on creative types. You might be nonconformist, unpredictable, away with the fairies or think you're too good for the job. You could take a notion and dye your hair a funny colour, who knows?

So you've taken the fine art degree you worked so hard for off the CV, so what? You still have it somewhere. You're still an artist. You can paint in your spare time.

Except those retail and service jobs are a lot more draining than you thought. You're on your feet all day. You're very tired when you come home and you need to make dinner and get your uniform ready for the next day. You think about the customer interactions that went badly that day and sink into the couch to watch TV, and try to avoid threads on boards about salaries because you can't stand hearing 'learn to cooooode' from another techbro.

I dunno if I answered the question but I think I'm getting off track.

Advertisement