Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink Launch

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Did it go ahead at 5 today? Can't see anything, very quiet recently.

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
    July 8Falcon 9 • Starlink 9/BlackSky Global
    Launch time: 1559 GMT (11:59 a.m. EDT)
    Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
    A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is expected to launch the tenth batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 9. Two Earth observation microsatellites for BlackSky Global, a Seattle-based company, will launch as rideshare payloads on this mission. Moved forward from June 24. Delayed from June 23, June 25 and June 26. [June 30]

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Hope it launches tomorrow as we have clear skies for thursday night/friday morning passes(thats if it is flying over ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

upupup wrote: »
    Hope it launches tomorrow as we have clear skies for thursday night/friday morning passes(thats if it is flying over ireland)

Scrubbed for to weather.

519233.PNG
    The last launch is passing over tomorrow night @22.40,magnitude 2.9.they are still close together so it may look like a train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Nothing last night, high cloud cover. Myself and my 8 year old lying on the road saw two token satellites. Nothing worth looking out for tonight going by that Heavens Above app, all mag 2.8 plus??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Amazon gets green-light to blow $10bn on 3,000+ internet satellites. All so Americans can shop more on Amazon
    The constellation will orbit between 590 and 630 kilometres above the surface of the Earth, and according the FCC will use the frequencies 17.7-18.6GHz for space-to-Earth, 18.8-20.2GHz also for space-to-Earth, and 27.5-30.0 GHz for Earth-to-space.

Higher than Starlink so 30? years for orbit to decay naturally rather than 1 year for Starlink

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Amazon gets green-light to blow $10bn on 3,000+ internet satellites. All so Americans can shop more on Amazon

Higher than Starlink so 30? years for orbit to decay naturally rather than 1 year for Starlink

I wonder was the current global situation an influencing factor for their approval. Not that it will make much of a difference in heavily light polluted areas anyway but more of them will be even more of a nuisance for astronomy and astro-imaging on Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What way are these satellites effecting astronomy and photography? Is it that the brightness of them is making other stuff invisible or something. And is the effect not just a for a moment as the satellite flys through at high speed?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What way are these satellites effecting astronomy and photography? Is it that the brightness of them is making other stuff invisible or something. And is the effect not just a for a moment as the satellite flys through at high speed?

The brightness wouldn't block out other stuff and if it did then there would be a bigger problem, anything that bright in the night sky would be causing the ground to light up also which would be a major environmental issue. Most but not all astrophotography requires you to stack many images together, if you have 3000 Amazon satellites to contend with (that number is just the start) and another 40,000 that SpaceX want to eventually send up then that is a lot of frames ruined and time wasted were you set out to capture a distant Galaxy, Nebula or Cluster.

They'll be orbiting in a grid which means that every x amount of seconds you will most likely capture/see one of these passing your field of view. When you are exposing for longer periods (say 5 minutes) you'll potentially have many of these things in those exposures. It will be kind of like going to a match where the stadium was built on train tracks and every 5 minutes a train passes through which interrupts play.

ah right thanks, hadnt realised astro photography means long exposures but that makes a lot of sense. Yeah I could see how that could be annoying running a five minute exposure and then you've satellites flying through the picture. I presume that when the image is stacked the satellites them come out as long streaks as they pass through the frame?

Also is Musks promise to paint them black going to make any difference to the problem or is it all just window dressing?

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ah right thanks, hadnt realised astro photography means long exposures but that makes a lot of sense. Yeah I could see how that could be annoying running a five minute exposure and then you've satellites flying through the picture. I presume that when the image is stacked the satellites them come out as long streaks as they pass through the frame?

Also is Musks promise to paint them black going to make any difference to the problem or is it all just window dressing?

There was only a few sent up with the last batch of starlinks that had anti reflective coating on them. Remains to be seen (pun intended) but at least it is being recognised an issue.

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/starlink-darksat

That's it exactly, usually when stacking images they are shorter exposures though so if any are in frame they'd look like dashed lines, stacking is also depended on the frame rate of video or in the case of taken images the pause between exposures. They would not be equally spread out dashes because the majority of the images taken could be discarded.

https://www.google.com/search?q=astro+images+with+starlinks+ruined&client=opera&hs=MLN&sxsrf=ALeKk02AGLvUF0Xz1kCQLzJoM_gKgQzZog:1596397465897&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjh2P_-o_3qAhWCZxUIHUefBPgQ_AUoAXoECGcQAw&biw=1537&bih=913

Thanks sounds very interesting. Ive always enjoyed the astro photography images that broadsheet.ie feature every few days, dont know much about whats in them but some great images get posted.

Starlink 9 launched this morning and it looks like clear skies for the pass tomorrow morning @4.All of the sats have visors now but may not be deployed straight away.https://www.heavens-above.com/StarlinkLaunchPasses.aspx?lat=52.4412&lng=-7.8748&loc=Unnamed&alt=0&tz=GMT

522343.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it still in view..in irish skies??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

fryup wrote: »

https://findstarlink.com/#744;3

Not your ornery onager

fryup wrote: »

Starlink is an amazing sight for the first week after launch but it needs to pass close to ireland at the correct time and we need clear skies.I'v been watching for over a year now and have only seen the after launch flyover twice.Its like a huge firework crossing the sky 24 hours after launch.
    Next launch is next week 28th so if all 3 conditions line up, it is well worth seeing.
    https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Its looking good if the launch goes ahead on wednesday morning.Its passing Ireland 80 mins after launch and thursday morning too,possibly passing all weekend
    https://www.heavens-above.com/StarlinkLaunchPasses.aspx?lat=52.4412&lng=-7.8748&loc=Unnamed&alt=0&tz=GMT

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Anyone know where I get detailed pass information for Starlink launch 28 later tonight?

Heavens Above and Stellarium don't seem to show up anything...

From a link I saw on twitter:
    https://twitter.com/RikyUnreal/status/1397458478982213634

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

https://findstarlink.com/

You can't really see these anymore I don't think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

Second stage should be flying above in around 10 minutes.
    As for the starlink the recent launches have been visable recently as they are tightly packed together so very noticeboard.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link.

I was able to clearly see the last lot a day after the previous launch on the 16th May as the typical train of lights in the sky. Think there was also a thread about it here at the time.

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/?special=starlink

This site I find very good.
    Tonight at 11.10 and 11.23 should be visible if you have a clear sky.

rameire wrote: »
    Second stage should be flying above in around 10 minutes.
    As for the starlink the recent launches have been visable recently as they are tightly packed together so very noticeboard.

I assume its not possible to see if its not dark outside yet?

I assume its not possible to see if its not dark outside yet?

Its difficult. Very.
    I think I have only ever seen one during daylight hours.

Its difficult. Very.
    It is unusually clear here at the moment and I went out just in case but saw nothing. I have only every seen a launch of a shuttle over Ireland at night many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Its difficult. Very.

ISS is amazing to see in summer evenings before it's totally dark. Too tired to stay up for this later :(

Nothing to see on that pass anyway

ISS looking well though. Something flew past (meteor) while i was waiting for it aswell

I didn't see them either, the Moon was far too bright and I could only make out the brightest stars/constellations.

• Advertisement

The new satellites have an anti reflective coating which is a good thing for astronomy.They are only half as bright now as they were and the best view is in the first few days after launch when they are still low.
    The pass last night was 2 weeks old so too late to see anything spectacular or anything at all

Advertisement