Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I thought Rea and Timoney looked very good. Obviously there's a gap between them and the first choice Leinster backrow, but they acquitted themselves well.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Is there a chance that hendo will play 6 next season or does it seem more that nakarawaay tale that mantle on?

2 NIQ 2nd rows so I'd assume we want them starting as much as possible

I thought Nakarawa was actually coming in as a number eight? Obviously he's usually a second row, but I thought Petrie said he'd be playing at the base of the scrum.

Excited about these last two Bungle Cup games, hopefully seeing McCann, ReaJea, Reid and Doak again. Would like to see Doak start a game. (in fact, I'd like to see Lewis Finkayvget a crack off the bench.) Also Tom Stewart - we have a decent stable of hookers, but he showed serious potential for the U20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Scythica wrote: »
    Is there a chance that hendo will play 6 next season or does it seem more that nakarawaay tale that mantle on?

2 NIQ 2nd rows so I'd assume we want them starting as much as possible

Hendy is much better in the second row, he has never been as effective from 6 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You'd be mad to even entertain Henderson moving to the back row with the way he's been playing the last couple years, early days he was looking like it might be a better fit for him but it's been fairly clear now that the 5 shirt is where he excels.

Nakarawa will probably slot in at number 8 and compete with Timoney for that shirt, it's still questionable how fit he is so could see him take the 19 shirt and cover both from the bench for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭launish116

Can’t say I’ve noticed but does Carter scrummage behind the tight head much? Letting Henderson switch?

Will be interesting to see where Nakarawa fits in.

On Hookers, Bradley Roberts showed some good stats for a cameo, be damned if I can find them now though.

launish116 wrote: »
    Can’t say I’ve noticed but does Carter scrummage behind the tight head much? Letting Henderson switch?

Will be interesting to see where Nakarawa fits in.

On Hookers, Bradley Roberts showed some good stats for a cameo, be damned if I can find them now though.

Roberts is a proper bona fide unsung hero. We are very well stocked at hooker. Andrew has had the best season of his career, Herring is currently first choice for Ireland and Stewart at 18 looked an outstanding prospect at U20s level.

Hookers and Wingers are what we do in Ulster!

Indeed 17 minutes played.

2 tackles, 6 carries for 23 metres.

If him/Stewart, Reid & OToole really push on. That would some serious impact of the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Indeed 17 minutes played.

2 tackles, 6 carries for 23 metres.

If him/Stewart, Reid & OToole really push on. That would some serious impact of the bench.

Have you seen his highlight video on yt?

500 allowed in to the Scarlets game.

The road back to the good times behind here.

• Advertisement

500 allowed in to the Scarlets game.

The road back to the good times behind here.

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/1395442951862378499?s=19

Good stuff...I could have a moan and say they could probably be a bit braver and maybe let a few more in...but beggars can't be choosers...

bilston wrote: »
    Good stuff...I could have a moan and say they could probably be a bit braver and maybe let a few more in...but beggars can't be choosers...

Not up to them. Limit set by the Executive.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think our academy would have benefited from some new, fresh, outside influence, but I guess you have to trust these appointments.

I suppose Falloon is new.

One positive is that they should know the level of talent that exists in Ulster at age grade level. I'm still interested to know how they will decide upon next season's Academy intake and perhaps more significantly the sub Academy intake. I think Inter School sport is allowed again so are there going to be any School matches in June?

One positive is that they should know the level of talent that exists in Ulster at age grade level. I'm still interested to know how they will decide upon next season's Academy intake and perhaps more significantly the sub Academy intake. I think Inter School sport is allowed again so are there going to be any School matches in June?

There was talk all academy intakes were being frozen for the year?

awec wrote: »
    I think our academy would have benefited from some new, fresh, outside influence, but I guess you have to trust these appointments.

I suppose Falloon is new.

Faloon is an excellent coach.

There is chat of a few games but only Enniskillen and BA will play as others into summer sports etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭RuPi

There was talk all academy intakes were being frozen for the year?

AFAIK this is what is happening across all four provinces, due to the lack of rugby to assess players on, that means current players in the sub academy (National Talent Squad and Provincial Talent Squad) will remain there. Probably saves some money but won’t change much else.

Ulster have been lucky that all those players have been able to continue to train since November due to being classed as ‘elite’. Ulster 19’s due to play Ballymena Academy next Friday.

Malone have announced that they now have an Academy, for 18-21 year olds, coached by Dan Tuohy.

Can any of you guys more in the know explain how this new structure is going to work?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/club-rugby/tuohy-aiming-to-make-a-major-impact-on-youth-after-agreeing-to-head-up-malone-academy-40455990.html

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Malone have announced that they now have an Academy, for 18-21 year olds, coached by Dan Tuohy.

Can any of you guys more in the know explain how this new structure is going to work?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/club-rugby/tuohy-aiming-to-make-a-major-impact-on-youth-after-agreeing-to-head-up-malone-academy-40455990.html
    Hard to see how Ulster benefit from this, seems more like something Malone are doing to try improve their own senior team in the AIL?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭RuPi

It is an initiative being rolled out by the Ulster Branch called ‘Club Academy’ that would see all clubs try to establish an U21 side to play in leagues and cups during the season.

RuPi wrote: »
    It is an initiative being rolled out by the Ulster Branch called ‘Club Academy’ that would see all clubs try to establish an U21 side to play in leagues and cups during the season.

Surely more competitive games can only be a good thing. If indeed they do end up being competitive.

https://www.the42.ie/dan-soper-5447177-May2021/

My gut feeling is that next season's coaching ticket will be a good one. Notable how many ex-forwards - Falloon, Craig Newby, Tuohy as above - are being put into assorted coaching positions. They're obviously trying to raise the level of our pack and young forwards coming through.

I do think Payne could maybe do with a bit of homework over the summer. We definitely need to improve our discipline. Especially stop compounding mistakes - giving away a second penalty off the back of a first.

Overspill from Ulster Academy has a potential other route also.

https://www.the42.ie/dan-soper-5447177-May2021/

My gut feeling is that next season's coaching ticket will be a good one. Notable how many ex-forwards - Falloon, Craig Newby, Tuohy as above - are being put into assorted coaching positions. They're obviously trying to raise the level of our pack and young forwards coming through.

It's pretty obvious where we need to improve.

I still think we need to be looking at the Pacific Islands for players. Maybe we'll build contacts through Nakarawa.

It's pretty obvious where we need to improve.

I still think we need to be looking at the Pacific Islands for players. Maybe we'll build contacts through Nakarawa.

Yeah. We are clearly going doing the route of having more mobile, ball-handling second rows (Henderson, Treadwell, Izzy and Carter to a degree) so we need a couple of backrow/frontrow bruisers. A big atom-smasher and an out-and-out seven are the most obvious gaps.

Speaking of which... would be good to see this fella break through properly.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ulster-youngster-callum-reid-ready-to-challenge-the-pecking-order-1.4573997

Didn't realise Tom Stewart was still eligible for U20s. Mad to think injury stopped him getting his senior cap this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ludik retiring.

Couldn't ask for a more consummate professional. 100% every game. Didn't matter if it was a must win European game or a Friday night away to the Dragons.

The Ulster McFadden.

Advertisement