Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What places have closed during the pandemic?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Very surprised O'Brien's lasted as long as it did.

Sausage and rasher sambos were cold pre-cooked jobs barely reheated and generally cold inside, annoying leaky teapots and fairly unfriendly staff.

It was a slice of mid 90s that somehow lasted longer than Oasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Is there going to be some sort of cope about every closing location?

- it was closing anyway
    - the quality was terrible
    - they were too expensive
    - good

Etc

Some of those points are valid but there's no doubt in my mind that the impact these lockdowns will be incredibly damaging and will hasten up commercial failures and in many cases will be the direct reason for the failure of otherwise successful businesses.

These posts also come in line with the overconfident claims and excess enthusiasm about some new food outlet opening up somewhere which will inevitably fail within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

ligerdub wrote: »
    Is there going to be some sort of cope about every closing location?

- it was closing anyway
    - the quality was terrible
    - they were too expensive
    - good

Etc

Some of those points are valid but there's no doubt in my mind that the impact these lockdowns will be incredibly damaging and will hasten up commercial failures and in many cases will be the direct reason for the failure of otherwise successful businesses.

These posts also come in line with the overconfident claims and excess enthusiasm about some new food outlet opening up somewhere which will inevitably fail within a year.

What is your point? The places closing will be closing for a reason (I think you're calling that a 'cope'). This is a discussion board:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

Hi, anyone know if CEX (Dublin) are open for click and collect?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

AhhHere wrote: »
    O Briens Sandwiches on Baggot street gone unlike my memory of an incredibly greasy sambo I had there once.

Is that the one on Upper or Lower Baggot St, that is gone, or both? Just curious.

There's going to be a lot of gaps around the city centre shopping streets, I'm picturing Henry Street with Debenhams closed, and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Grafton Street yesterday, not quite the big open up reported all day yesterday in the media

Grafton-St-c-Harry-Warren.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

It would be get if Tower records or other entertainment shop moved into one of those free spots on grafton street....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tower are in a building owned by their owner; they won't move to any that aren't his

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I don't wish job losses on anyone but I have to admit I don't mourn the loss of the Euro Giant on Stephens Green.

I walked down Grafton Street today and while there are some noticeable vacancies, there was plenty of activity and a good number of shops clearly preparing for next week.

It's later this year after a post lockdown splurge that a lot of remaining shopkeepers seem to expect trouble.

Let's hope most of them can get to the Christmas season.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭AhhHere

Is that the one on Upper or Lower Baggot St, that is gone, or both? Just curious.

There's going to be a lot of gaps around the city centre shopping streets, I'm picturing Henry Street with Debenhams closed, and so on.

It's the one beside baggot street wines and Weirs hardware. Can never remember if that is upper or lower!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

maybe it depends what you get, but while o'briends is exspensive it's one of the best chain sandwhich places around.

Howya Brody - long time, no see.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Brody Sweeney is long gone and running Camile now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭atilladehun

It's the one beside baggot street wines and Weirs hardware. Can never remember if that is upper or lower!

Lower is closer to the Liffey. Upper is further away. Same for almost all the streets in Dublin.

In the case of Abbey St lower is closer to the bay, Upper is further away.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Ah right, thanks, I was just curious. That's Upper Baggot St.

The other O'Briens is on Lower, opposite the Department of Health, old BOI HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

L1011 wrote: »
    Tower are in a building owned by their owner; they won't move to any that aren't his

I hate the shop itself... the one on Wicklow st was so much nicer and better.

Noticed that the gourmet food shop A Taste of Spain have opened up their second store on Camden St. Think there is a new coffee shop open on the street as well but didnt get the name.Wetherspoons on Camden St also looks like it is nearly ready to open, carpets are down and it looks close enough to finished on the inside.

Wetherspoons was ready to open in October and pulled because of the impending pre-Christmas lockdown. Its not taking hotel bookings yet though.

There's a few other hotels set to open in a few weeks too - Premier Inn Georges Street for instance.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm still surprised Apple haven't opened up shop here and gotten one of the bigger units. They'd also be perfect for the old A&F store on College Green.

Id say they must have looked at opening a big flagship store on Grafton St but decided it wouldnt be profitable enough to offset the high rents. Maybe the strategy of a big flagship store works in the likes of London, New York, etc because they have huge populations to buy phones but doesnt work so well in smaller cities like Dublin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Topshop Stephen's Green will be a massive space to fill. I'm always hopeful for a Uniqlo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Twee. wrote: »
    Topshop Stephen's Green will be a massive space to fill. I'm always hopeful for a Uniqlo :)

Yes!! But no, everyone will have my clothes then :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Mr.S wrote: »
    Grafton Street has been fairly grim for the last couple of years, given the rent it's only ever going to attract top high store chains / stores, so it's slim pickings.

I'm still surprised Apple haven't opened up shop here and gotten one of the bigger units. They'd also be perfect for the old A&F store on College Green.

CompuB have opened a new unit on South King Street next to the Gaiety so can't see an Apple store opening that close to it.

Apple have had zero concern for premium resellers before, they opened in Brighton wiping out the CompuB equivalent for there overnight basically.

La Maison on Castle Street has gone. The tenants thought they were up to scratch with their landlord and were looking forward to re-opening after giving the place a good spruce up over the last few months.

They were locked out last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Noticed that the gourmet food shop A Taste of Spain have opened up their second store on Camden St. Think there is a new coffee shop open on the street as well but didnt get the name.Wetherspoons on Camden St also looks like it is nearly ready to open, carpets are down and it looks close enough to finished on the inside.

That new coffee place is a Press-up joint, Dime coffee or something.
    Think their head office backs onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭hold my beer

humberklog wrote: »
    La Maison on Castle Street has gone. The tenants thought they were up to scratch with their landlord and were looking forward to re-opening after giving the place a good spruce up over the last few months.

They were locked out last week.

Jeez that's harsh. Has to be more to it though

Jeez that's harsh. Has to be more to it though

Yeah. Although word is that Paul Keaveny (the landlord) who owns all but 3 properties on Castle Market is planning something big. Same fella has had the old Jo Burger premises sitting idle there for a few years.

They're an odd enough bunch commercial landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Signage being stripped from Cafe Sofia on Wexford St today when I passed. Updating or gonzo?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just noticed that the Madina curry place on Mary Street is gone now :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Noooo! My mam and I always hit them up after a day shopping in town :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think the city is going to look bleak when the government supports stop. A lot of business won't survive unfortunately.

Advertisement