Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micheal O' Leary: What a fu-cking whinge bag.

Options
  • 17-05-2021 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,605 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Honestly is that all he can do whinge. Nothing constructive ever comes out of his big fat mouth.
    On Sky News this morning whinging as usual because Ryanair are not getting any funding from state home-state owned Airlines. Can't say I am sorry in the slightest. In fact if Ryanair were to ho bust I would be delighted. It's bad for myths environment and its staff are overworked and underpaid. If you want to fly you should have a good reason to fly not be going on 5 or 6 holidays a year. I am glad the Pandemic has but on end to most of that excessive holidaying and hope it never goes back like that.

Mod: Title edited on spelling and removing misogyny grounds.

If this thread doesnt play out as lighthearted, its getting closed and you can take the serious discussion to CA.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Yeah your title and opening line are a bit pathetic, maybe watch your own whinging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I'm gonna guess you don't work at the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Please note the mod note now in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Magno_DT

I fly Aer Lingus but I believe I can do that only because Ryanair exist and keep Aer Lingus on their toes. God only knows what Aer Lingus would be charging us these days if it weren't for Ryanair's crazy low prices.

Mikey plays the media like a fiddle, I'm confident he doesn't believe half the guff that comes out of his mouth. There is no savvier operator at drawing attention to his business, and that translates into more profit. Like him or loathe him, he has mastered the art of marketing and free publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Mikey plays the media like a fiddle, I'm confident he doesn't believe half the guff that comes out of his mouth. There is no savvier operator at drawing attention to himself and his airline, and that translates into more profit. Like him or loathe him, he has mastered the art of marketing and free publicity.
    I never minded him previously . But his everyman persona really fell apart during the pandemic. Essentially saying everyone else was wrong and we should all carry on flying and buying flights as normal , that the restrictions dont work etc.

His bottom line is all he cares for and he was preaching false information at every turn. I doubt he was going to offer to cover medical expenses of those catching covid on flights etc.

He's supposed to be a nice enough chap in person from what the staff I know have said.

His business side however doesn't allow staff to charge their phones in work, bans unions, only pays staff from the boarding time and generally treats customers like cattle, while bypassing a number of regulations where possible.

Two sides of the same coin. I worry more for the airheads who talk about putting him in charge of other businesses. I'm sure they wouldn't like to work for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,605 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Magno_DT wrote: »
    I fly Aer Lingus but I believe I can do that only because Ryanair exist and keep Aer Lingus on their toes. God only knows what Aer Lingus would be charging us these days if it weren't for Ryanair's crazy low prices.

If Micheal O' Leary had his way Aer Lingus and all the other state airlines would be gone bust and Ryanair would then rule the skys and charge what it likes so Aer Lingus and the other airlines keep Ryanair on its toes too. That is why it is important that they still be around and do not go bust and big states like Germany, France, Italy and the UK know this.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

AMKC wrote: »
    If Micheal O' Leary had his way Aer Lingus and all the other state airlines would be gone bust and Ryanair would then rule the skys and charge what it likes so Aer Lingus and the other airlines keep Ryanair on its toes too. That is why it is important that they still be around and do not go bust and big states like Germany, France, Italy and the UK know this.

Before Ryanair came along it cost the equivalent of €1200 to fly Dublin to London, of course nobody (nearly) could afford that so people got a bus.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/an-irishman-s-diary-1.85501

Aer Lingus was adding to its art collection at the time, I think we should put up with O'Leary spitting the dummy now and again.

I'm old enough to remember (and it isn't actually that long ago!!!) you'd need the price of a decent second-hand car just to get off this island, and that was only as far as London. Weekend shopping trips to Paris and Madrid seem to be taken for granted these days, but before RyanAir came along the only people you'd see on a plane were either rich or else emigrating with a very small expectation of flying back home anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Honestly is that all he can do whinge. Nothing constructive ever comes out of his big fat mouth.
    On Sky News this morning whinging as usual because Ryanair are not getting any funding from state home-state owned Airlines. Can't say I am sorry in the slightest. In fact if Ryanair were to ho bust I would be delighted. It's bad for myths environment and its staff are overworked and underpaid. If you want to fly you should have a good reason to fly not be going on 5 or 6 holidays a year. I am glad the Pandemic has but on end to most of that excessive holidaying and hope it never goes back like that.

If this thread doesnt play out as lighthearted, its getting closed and you can take the serious discussion to CA.

Tell me, how much is my yearly wage and the hours that I work for you to state that i'm overworked and underpaid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

G'wan the Michael O'Leary.

G'Wan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I think MOL has more constructive things to say than yourself in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Mikey plays the media like a fiddle, I'm confident he doesn't believe half the guff that comes out of his mouth. There is no savvier operator at drawing attention to his business, and that translates into more profit. Like him or loathe him, he has mastered the art of marketing and free publicity.

Exactly. I can nearly see him now on another British news programme whinging and moaning like the end of the world is nigh. Then at the very end he will smirk, wink and remind people that there's a 50% off discount on all flights for the next 24 hours.

He's like Trump if Trump actually had business savvy.

What it cost to fly with Aer Lingus in the 1980s is irelevent. Airfare for the entire globe was a far more expensive event and it was even more expensive in 1960.

It was more an event in general before no frills became a thing. Ryanair also isnt the reason why airfares in Europe as a whole or indeed, the US have come down. Competition, cheaper supplies and less service are the main factors.

Compare the cost of a computer in 1989 to today. Michael nor Bill nor any single entity can take credit for that. They can share in the credit but they cant claim it all

billie1b wrote: »
    Tell me, how much is my yearly wage and the hours that I work for you to state that i'm overworked and underpaid?

are you saying that you are overpaid and underworked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I would guess he is saying he is fairly compensated for his skills and the effort required to carry out the duties of his position within Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If it wasn't for him, we'd be taking the ferry to England or France

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

you'd be in the minority of people

the rest of us appreciate connectivity to the wider world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I don't believe for a minute he is the sole reason for cheap flights

Sure pre-pandemic it was just as cheap to fly to new York than it was to half the places in Europe with this lad.

Personally I've no time for Ryanair, I purposely go out of my way to avoid flying them and the last time I did to Poland I actually got cheaper flights roughly €100 cheaper with Lufthansa than Ryanair, going to the likes of Spain etc , Iberia, Vueling, aer lingus etc all worked out cheaper for me in the past.

I'd love to know who's going on a weekend shopping spree in Paris and Milan and flying Ryanair because that doesn't sound right to me. RYANAIR leaving you miles outside Paris meaning you've to get a crowded bus to a city then onto your hotel again.

But anyway I'm sure everyone who absolutely loves Ryanair and think they are the only airline they would ever fly with will be happy to learn they ordered their own special Boeing max 8 planes with roughly 220 seats. The FAA etc had to get ryanair planes it's own safety certification because it's capacity is more than any other Max 8 plane. Also with the shortest leg room in a commerical airline today ! So there's that too.

I'd be happy for Ryanair to stay around however. Because in the airport you can see the type of people that fly with them and the trouble that can be caused. All you have to do is look around their gates in Terminal 1 and half the place is on a session and very loud. I'd happily leave them to their own plane thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I never minded him previously . But his everyman persona really fell apart during the pandemic. Essentially saying everyone else was wrong and we should all carry on flying and buying flights as normal , that the restrictions dont work etc.

His bottom line is all he cares for and he was preaching false information at every turn. I doubt he was going to offer to cover medical expenses of those catching covid on flights etc.

I agree there. His more deeply sinister side came to the fore during this pandemic...

“Vaccination is the way out of this Covid crisis, not these failed lockdowns,"

All very well Michael but when vaccines are not available ? Duhh !

He has lost one very regular Ryanair customer here, more in fact family too..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sure pre-pandemic it was just as cheap to fly to new York than it was to half the places in Europe with this lad.

Personally I've no time for Ryanair, I purposely go out of my way to avoid flying them and the last time I did to Poland I actually got cheaper flights roughly €100 cheaper with Lufthansa than Ryanair, going to the likes of Spain etc , Iberia, Vueling, aer lingus etc all worked out cheaper for me in the past.

I'd love to know who's going on a weekend shopping spree in Paris and Milan and flying Ryanair because that doesn't sound right to me. RYANAIR leaving you miles outside Paris meaning you've to get a crowded bus to a city then onto your hotel again.

But anyway I'm sure everyone who absolutely loves Ryanair and think they are the only airline they would ever fly with will be happy to learn they ordered their own special Boeing max 8 planes with roughly 220 seats. The FAA etc had to get ryanair planes it's own safety certification because it's capacity is more than any other Max 8 plane. Also with the shortest leg room in a commerical airline today ! So there's that too.

I'd be happy for Ryanair to stay around however. Because in the airport you can see the type of people that fly with them and the trouble that can be caused. All you have to do is look around their gates in Terminal 1 and half the place is on a session and very loud. I'd happily leave them to their own plane thanks.

and nor does anyone else

nice bit of pompous waffling though

Car99 wrote: »
    I would guess he is saying he is fairly compensated for his skills and the effort required to carry out the duties of his position within Ryanair.

Seems quite confrontational when the person he was challenging was defending him and saying he should be paid more.

I would love people to argue for a raise on my behalf

wow!

Have you considered that they sometimes fly to locations that suit people more? For example, they are the only company that allows myself to fly direct. Everyone else I need to go via London or Madrid and so on

Never said that but it was a pretty strange statement to come out with when he/she probably has never worked for Ryanair. I might not like working there but my shifts are quite good and my salary is comfortable enough for the role and experience I have in my job.
    Agency folks might have a different opinion because they get shafted on pay but most Ryanair employed staff stay there due to the shifts and pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭JoChervil

What a condescending post! I am happily flying with Ryanair and I am delighted that I am not flying with "types" like yours...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

branie2 wrote: »
    If it wasn't for him, we'd be taking the ferry to England or France

I dont think so..... other operators would have moved in. Richard Branson / EasyJet/ Etc Etc......

Mikey was in the right place at the right time.... if it wasn't him it would have been someone else.

The problem now... is that he wont allow anyone else enter the market without driving them back out (Easy Jet) and he is now in dominant position to charge what he likes.

Don't let anyone tell you that MOL care about you and me and the whole of Ireland Inc etc..... he is strictly about the bottom line and his share price.

Ryanairs Max 8 variant have a seating capacity of 197, 7 less than the max capacity of 204, none of the Max 8 variants have a seating capacity of 220, I believe you're getting mixed up with the Max 10 variant, which is a longer and higher version of the Max 8 with bigger engines and higher landing gear which has a capacity of upto 226 in a full single class cabin, which currently Ryanair have none.

Is he not the same as any other being on the planet? I mean if for some bizarre reason the contents of Paul McCartney's bank account was the sort of thing that would keep you awake at night then you have the option to not buy a Beatles album next time you're out shopping. No one gives a flying fukc if you want to hand a thousand euros over to Aer Lingus or Lufthansa next time you need to sit on a plane for an hour, knock yourself out, I'll swallow my pride and pay the tenner to fly with Mick.

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    Never said that but it was a pretty strange statement to come out with when he/she probably has never worked for Ryanair. I might not like working there but my shifts are quite good and my salary is comfortable enough for the role and experience I have in my job.
    Agency folks might have a different opinion because they get shafted on pay but most Ryanair employed staff stay there due to the shifts and pay.

Well thats your opinion and you do work there.

I consider your working conditions to be below par and would be looking to join a union so I could fight for better but I dont work there nor would I wish to (your on call days and call back to work system would not be tolerated in most industries)

Advertisement