Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Colbert's pronunciation of his name

Options
  • 12-05-2021 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭

Why does he pronounce his name as if he’s French? His descendants are all scots and Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why does he pronounce his name as if he’s French? His descendants are all scots and Irish.

French name too!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colbert_(name)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is this really a current affairt?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Moved to AH where I think it's a better fit. Reminder to read the local charter before posting.

His descendants are all scots and Irish.

He only has 3 kids and I'd imagine they consider themselves American.
    Or maybe you don't know what that word means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

is_that_so wrote: »

Yeah, but his brother pronounces it the proper way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah, but his brother pronounces it the proper way...
    There is also a French way and yes it's pretentious but not wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭B2021M

Very pretentious! I assume he doesnt go to the bother of correctly pronouncing the multitude of German, Italian, Polish etc surnames found in America....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

B2021M wrote: »
    Very pretentious! I assume he doesnt go to the bother of correctly pronouncing the multitude of German, Italian, Polish etc surnames found in America....

IDK based on his fluency in mordish elvish and dwarfish etc I imagine he is just as considerate with the former type of names. He's fairly cosmopolitan and egalitarian, complete nerd as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

In a land of "O' Ma-hoe-neys", I think "Colbear" is fair game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

They can't even pronounce Gallagher or Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are thousands of English words which have two or more standard pronunciations. In the case of family names, it is ridiculous to accuse someone of not knowing how to pronounce their own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

6089-B08-C-3-A8-C-4-C04-A0-F1-7-B3-AC516-D1-ED.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

He is on record, multiple times, that he chose a French pronunciation of his name for showbiz reasons.

"In Paris they just simply opened their eyes and stared when we spoke to them in French! We never did succeed in making those idiots understand their own language." -- Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's a tough one. On the one hand, it's name and he's the one who decides how it's pronounced. On the other hand, I don't give a flying f*ck.

When it comes to personal names you can say what you want. Who am I to tell a ma-hoe-ney that he’s a bog standard mahany.

That guy in mythic quest though - that’s all kinds of wrong.

"In Paris they just simply opened their eyes and stared when we spoke to them in French! We never did succeed in making those idiots understand their own language." -- Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad

The French are pretty bad at standard school French. I found that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I didn't know he pronounced it like that.

What an absolute cun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

He said on numerous occasions that he was a relative of Con Colbert who as executed after the 1916 rebellion.

• Advertisement

What an absolute cun.

'Le Con Man,' as they say in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I went to a recording of his show years ago and he comes out to chat to the audience beforehand and he seemed like a really nice bloke. He’s very proud of his Irish heritage but doesn’t seem to over egg it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You're just jealous your name precludes you from pulling the same stunt as him.
    Of course it sounds better with a french twist, what doesn't?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Names always sound better when said with a French twang.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I don’t know who he is but, Colvert (pronounced Col vere ) is French and maybe he is making a take on this which is a derivation on his own name, so don’t be too hard on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

From his wiki page:
    While Colbert sometimes comedically claims his surname is French, he is of 15/16ths Irish ancestry; one of his paternal great-great-grandmothers was of German and English descent.[22][23] Many of his ancestors emigrated from Ireland to North America in the 19th century before and during the Great Famine.[14][24] Originally, his surname was pronounced /ˈkoʊlbərt/ KOHL-bərt in English; Stephen Colbert's father, James, wanted to pronounce the name /koʊlˈbɛər/ kohl-BAIR, but maintained the /ˈkoʊlbərt/ pronunciation out of respect for his own father. He offered his children the option to pronounce the name whichever way they preferred.[10] Stephen started using /koʊlˈbɛər/ later in life when he transferred to Northwestern University, taking advantage of the opportunity to reinvent himself in a new place where no one knew him.[2] Stephen's brother Edward, an intellectual property attorney, retained /ˈkoʊlbərt/; this was shown in a February 12, 2009, appearance on The Colbert Report, when his second oldest brother asked him, "/ˈkoʊlbərt/ or /koʊlˈbɛər/?" Ed responded "/ˈkoʊlbərt/", to which Stephen jokingly replied, "See you in Hell".[25]

If the name has no French connections at all then the pronunciation change is a bit uppity.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

I could never understand Noel and Liam Gallagher pronouncing their surname Gall-ag-er. They are first generation English. Their parents were born and raised in Ireland and used the correct pronunciation surely. Though... I'm not sure if I have ever heard Noel or Liam actually saying their own surname. Maybe I'm transferring the British media's (understandable, I guess) mispronunciation onto them. Maybe they do pronounce it Gallaher. Or maybe their parents found it easier to just pronounce it Gall-ag-er.

What a bunch of Mo-rans. I mean Morans. I mean Moro-- oh forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

So I guess Dave Chapelle should say "chapel"?

Honestly...the french pronuciation is the most obvious for the name "Colbert" imo.

Advertisement