Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Infoanon wrote: »
    Stephen Donnelly has taken a lot of hits while others have hid.
    Like NPHET, Donnelly has been scape goated for everything, while his department has been dumped on by the other ministers - how has hotel quarantining ended up in the dept of health for starters !

Donnelly is far from perfect but he deserves a little slack.

The opening up is a gamble - the potential to have under 50s vaccinated before those older than 50 is a massive political gamble and goes completely against all medical advice.

How Claire didn't make more of this tells you everything about Claires interviewing skills

I'm not listening, so I didn't hear the interview, but I agree about the Donnelly thing. He gets so much flak, sometimes deserved, but this narrative about him (on the forums too) that everything he does or says is idiotic incompetency is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

leath_dub wrote: »
    Considering she was (allegedly) considering quitting politics after the kicking she got from the electorate in Meath at the General election, before Leo gave her the leg-up with the Seanad seat, Regina Doherty seems to be popping uo everywhere these days! Is she camped out in Donnybrook or Marconi house?

She's just horrid

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Eoin Ó Broin doing a lot of agreeing with Regina??? Mary Lou won't be best pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Regina Doherty seems to be popping uo everywhere these days! Is she camped out in Donnybrook or Marconi house?
    There's always someone who the parties send out to do the bulk of the non-important media work (The Late Debate, Saturday with, The Tonight Show, etc.)

I'm not sure how they schedule it. It may be that a) you have to want to do it, and I'm not sure if all of them do, and b) the party thinks that you are a decent enough performer who will stay "on message" and c) they also think that you might benefit from the profile.

If the party thinks that you will damage them, then you will not be allowed on anything - which is why Eoghan Murphy was invisible until he decided to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cole wrote: »
    I'm not listening, so I didn't hear the interview, but I agree about the Donnelly thing. He gets so much flak, sometimes deserved, but this narrative about him (on the forums too) that everything he does or says is idiotic incompetency is ridiculous.
    People, and interviewers, demanding certainty when in it can't be given. The Government aren't in a position to guarantee vaccine supply, NIAC advice, what happens with case numbers between now and June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Considering she was (allegedly) considering quitting politics after the kicking she got from the electorate in Meath at the General election, before Leo gave her the leg-up with the Seanad seat, Regina Doherty seems to be popping uo everywhere these days! Is she camped out in Donnybrook or Marconi house?

She's a great radio panelist I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

serfboard wrote: »
    There's always someone who the parties send out to do the bulk of the non-important media work (The Late Debate, Saturday with, The Tonight Show, etc.)

I'm not sure how they schedule it. It may be that a) you have to want to do it, and I'm not sure if all of them do, and b) the party thinks that you are a decent enough performer who will stay "on message" and c) they also think that you might benefit from the profile.

If the party thinks that you will damage them, then you will not be allowed on anything - which is why Eoghan Murphy was invisible until he decided to resign.
    I first noticed it with Pashcal Donohoe, then a backbench TD, who turned up to every TV dogfight in the early twenty teens to defend Enda Kenny's government. He was eventually rewarded with a Minister of State position in 2013 and hasn't looked back.
    Seeing how this worked for Paschal, the baton was taken on by Damien English who took on the late night TV circuit (well the TV3 political prog) and was appointed as Minister of State, which proved to be the extent of, or possibly beyond, his ability ("clothing isn't essential Miriam")..
    Damien's place on the debating circuit was taken by Colm Brophy who also eventually was duly rewarded with a Minister of State position.

They really seem intent in making this vacinne roll out more and more complex and perplexing.

There's a curious concern (genuine),Denmark have now removed J&J and AZ completely from their roll out, this must raise liability concerns. I get clotting incidents extremely low but none the less??....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Onto more serious matters, Bill Gates divorce.

Who cares?!!

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Onto more serious matters, Bill Gates divorce.

Who cares?!!

LOL, from Vacinnes to Divorce settlements, just extraordinary :)

• Advertisement

There will be NO deals, Gouging will be the byword I'm afraid

Did Claire says she's booked Tralee?? Ugggh...

You once had no choice but to drive through it on the way to Dingle, now it's bypassed, there's not other reason I can think of to go to tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Dempo1 wrote: »
    They really seem intent in making this vacinne roll out more and more complex and perplexing.

Part of the problem in recent days has been the political pressure being placed on NIAC and the HSE all because of the 80% (registered for) vaccinated by the end of June claim.
    We had the ridiculous situation of FG sending out its vaccine plan on social media on Friday night ! which was at odds with the aged based HSE plan. You have had minister after minister kite flying the parallel running of vaccinations for different age cohorts.
    I am in no doubt that the clause 'if no other vaccine is available ' to give j & j to under 50s is a politically influenced fudge.

More phone line issues again this morning on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

There will be NO deals, Gouging will be the byword I'm afraid

€340 Mon and Tues night in June in a b/b in Clare :)
    For one person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Listening to Claire re travel, sounds like she’s a classic case of if I’ve booked a staycation then we all have to book staycations. No one gets to leave.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Part of the problem in recent days has been the political pressure being placed on NIAC and the HSE all because of the 80% (registered for) vaccinated by the end of June claim.
    We had the ridiculous situation of FG sensing out on social media on Friday it's vaccine plan which was at odds with the aged based HSE plan. You have had minister after minister kite flying the parallel running of vaccinations for different age cohorts.
    I am in no doubt that the clause 'if no other vaccine is available ' to give j & j to under 50s is a politically influenced fudge.

More phone line issues again this morning on the show

I really have to agree 100%, there's certainly a new narrative, even Tony Holohan has become all nice a sweet (unless your from Donegal)

Seems to me what was of serious concern less than two weeks ago is all perfectly fine now.

Listening to Claire re travel, sounds like she’s a classic case of if I’ve booked a staycation then we all have to book staycations. No one gets to leave.

Why would anyone go camping in Killarney and Tralee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got a week booked end june not holding much hope for that one

last 2 weeks of august havent seen anything for that (might check the granville in waterford had a great stay there last year)

went camping near castlegregory in 1993 never again.

I suppose it could have been worse, she might have been forced to book lietrim to keep hubby happy, it's perhaps the only county in Ireland where even the crows flying over bring packed lunch :)

last 2 weeks of august havent seen anything for that (might check the granville in waterford had a great stay there last year)

Failte Ireland now accepting Bitcoin I hear :)

I worked in the industry for many years and I'm sad to say people are going to be fleeced.

• Advertisement

went camping near castlegregory in 1993 never again.

OMG, I know Castlegregory well, I truely sympathise, it has improved somewhat since 1993

This story is quite extraordinary. Investment funds buying up entire housing estates. I get its a minefield on how to deal with this but it makes a mockery of first time buyers.

For once I'm glad there's a bad line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

OMG, I know Castlegregory well, I truely sympathise, it has improved somewhat since 1993

i did surf a bit at the time so wasnt that bad spent most of rthe time on the beach, forget eating out in those days. the pub was about an hours walk from the campsite though :P

Why would anyone go camping in Killarney and Tralee ?

There maybe little choice when people see the prices of accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭touts

Jasus Eoin O'Broin is an angry piece of work. Shouting and ranting.

i did surf a bit at the time so wasnt that bad spent most of rthe time on the beach, forget eating out in those days. the pub was about an hours walk from the pub though :P

Yes it really is a great surfing spot in fairness, that sounded like a long walk home from the pub though :), I lived in Dingle for 7 years

touts wrote: »
    Jasus Eoin O'Broin is an angry piece of work. Shouting and ranting.

In fairness the guy on the line was shouting and ranting far more I thought

Saw a lovely house in caher square,a cancellation 660,sat →sat at end of June I think. Great price for a modern 4bed house

• Advertisement

Billy might want to FG and explain the concept of "A whole of Government approach"

Advertisement