Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Enduro wrote: »
    I have won 24 hour races eating precisely nothing. Ate the same for the last marathon I ran, which was a long time ago (I don't do much of the old sprinting any more :) )

Very obvious point to make but to the novices it should be noted that if you are winning marathons then you are out on the course and on your feet for a far shorter time that someone rocking home in 4-5 hours e.g 2h20 v 4h 20 is 2 hours more on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

@Enduro I seem to have some recollection of you being sponsored by Cloumbia. Have you tried the OutDry Ex Lightweight Shell jacket? If so any thoughts? Thinking of using it for running in heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Very obvious point to make but to the novices it should be noted that if you are winning marathons then you are out on the course and on your feet for a far shorter time that someone rocking home in 4-5 hours e.g 2h20 v 4h 20 is 2 hours more on your feet.

Yes, but Enduro won a 24 hrs race, which is far longer than the time even a complete novice will take for the marathon!

Yes, but Enduro won a 24 hrs race, which is far longer than the time even a complete novice will take for the marathon!

Sorry I totally misread that as winning 24 marathons...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Sorry I totally misread that as winning 24 marathons...:o

Too much party guinness...:)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

@Enduro I seem to have some recollection of you being sponsored by Cloumbia. Have you tried the OutDry Ex Lightweight Shell jacket? If so any thoughts? Thinking of using it for running in heavy rain.

Yup, I am indeed sponsored by Columbia. Yes, I wear Outdry jackets pretty much constantly through the winter half of the year, and have one ready to go in my backpack through the other half. My personal opinion of out-dry is its the best waterproof material, far better than gore-tex, and at least as breathable. It's also much more resilient ('ve only once ripped an outdry jacket, and that was coming off a bike on a beyond pedaling speed downhill onto rough tarmacadam. There is no DWR layer, so the beading doesn't degrade over time, and the jackets don't "soak out".

The lightweight ones a great running jackets. They're not as light as the really lightweight "showerproof" jackets, but are far more weather resistant. The only downside to the lightweight version is that in a good heavy shower you can feel the cold of rain, so you can get this strange psychological effect that you're getting wet, even when your not. That's if its just the jacket over skn/baselayer. A mid layer solves that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Enduro wrote: »
    I have won 24 hour races eating precisely nothing. Ate the same for the last marathon I ran, which was a long time ago (I don't do much of the old sprinting any more :) )

I do alot of running, I especially love the hills. I went out today, I had food/ gels with me but I said No I"ll keep going, even after 3 slow hours I dudnt need anything.. It was my first time of real bog/fell running..didnt need anything at all, only water and 2 salt tablets..
    I was never so happy, mud up yo my knees !!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Thank you for the very detailed reply, I'll pick one up. My size on columbia Ireland is sold out, they are only $99 on the Columbia USA site but don't want to get worried about customs, so will get it on trekkinn for €125.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Looking for insight/tips/help on a TT. I had a 3km TT on at the weekend which I abandoned after a mile. I found my breathing very off-putting from the start. Any tips or thoughts as to how to manage better as it totally put me off and my head said enough and so I stopped. I have a 5km coming up in two weeks so just looking for help on this to get over it/myself.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

What do you mean by off-putting??

Has this happened you before in speed sessions, or is it just specifically for races?

Hard to know tbh...but sounds like a warm up to include short sprints and strides might help maybe (?)

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »
    What do you mean by off-putting??

Has this happened you before in speed sessions, or is it just specifically for races?

Hard to know tbh...but sounds like a warm up to include short sprints and strides might help maybe (?)

Thank you. I did a decent warm-up and strides. My calf had started to tighten just before I had started so that hadn't helped either. All ok in speed sessions and never stopped or abandoned any. Just felt that for the start of the TT the hard breathing kicked in pretty quick so when it seems to be at the very start my head just went this is too much and I stopped. Think I need a pacer for confidence for the 5km. I did another 3km two weeks ago and had no trouble and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Think went into Saturdays one too confident and then when the calf tightened and the breathing escalated I had had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

aquinn wrote: »
    Thank you. I did a decent warm-up and strides. My calf had started to tighten just before I had started so that hadn't helped either. All ok in speed sessions and never stopped or abandoned any. Just felt that for the start of the TT the hard breathing kicked in pretty quick so when it seems to be at the very start my head just went this is too much and I stopped. Think I need a pacer for confidence for the 5km. I did another 3km two weeks ago and had no trouble and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Think went into Saturdays one too confident and then when the calf tightened and the breathing escalated I had had enough.

It could be any amount of reason really. Maybe pacing, did you go out to hard, Lack of recovery being another reason.

Why did you do a 3k tt 2 weeks ago and another one this week, and why are you doing a 5k tt next week.
    What's the purpose of all the tt's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Looking for insight/tips/help on a TT. I had a 3km TT on at the weekend which I abandoned after a mile. I found my breathing very off-putting from the start. Any tips or thoughts as to how to manage better as it totally put me off and my head said enough and so I stopped. I have a 5km coming up in two weeks so just looking for help on this to get over it/myself.

Thanks

Hi - During the first Km my breathing sounds crazy - I’m asthmatic so my brain panics as well . I have found recently that I need to calm myself and not get flustered by the breathing. I remind myself that it’s normal for a few mins until I settle into the pace . I tell myself to relax and that its just a run that I can stop anytime I want. I promise myself I’ll stop if it’s stays bad at a mile. Then mentally I check out my form - and evaluate how the legs feel about the pace - what am I doing with my arms etc. By the time I’ve done that - my breathing has usually calmed down and I’m actually moving faster. I think that’s because I’m back in control .

Ceepo wrote: »
    It could be any amount of reason really. Maybe pacing, did you go out to hard, Lack of recovery being another reason.

Why did you do a 3k tt 2 weeks ago and another one this week, and why are you doing a 5k tt next week.
    What's the purpose of all the tt's

I'm on a P&D 5km plan. The one two weeks ago was an incorrect reading of the plan. It was to be a 5km race and I read the wrong week.

This week then it was to be a 5km race or or 3km TT so went again with the 3km as thought it would be a good comparison on the same course to see how I was doing.

I purposely tried not to go out too hard and build up the pace as shot off the last time. Maybe still started too fast but calmed myself.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Hi - During the first Km my breathing sounds crazy - I’m asthmatic so my brain panics as well . I have found recently that I need to calm myself and not get flustered by the breathing. I remind myself that it’s normal for a few mins until I settle into the pace . I tell myself to relax and that its just a run that I can stop anytime I want. I promise myself I’ll stop if it’s stays bad at a mile. Then mentally I check out my form - and evaluate how the legs feel about the pace - what am I doing with my arms etc. By the time I’ve done that - my breathing has usually calmed down and I’m actually moving faster. I think that’s because I’m back in control .

Great, appreciate that. Thanks very much. Just need to distract myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So I've just noticed that basically I'm doing all of my 5K's in anaerobic mode rather than aerobic (in some cases I am doing the majority of the run in VO2 Max)

Does this matter?
    I've done 17 runs since starting (pretty much every 2nd day, first thing in the morning on empty stomach) and am down to 05'14" pace.
    I am certainly not nose breathing or running at conversation pace, but does it matter if I can keep it up for the 5k?
    In my last run my times were (there is a hill in the middle :))
    05'09"
    05'23"
    05'29"
    05'10"
    05'05"

On a recent run I tried to run while only breathing through my nose and failed miserably so just went back to normal....so, should I care or worry about anything here?

Background is zero regular exercise since 2019 where I was playing intense 5-a-side once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Great, appreciate that. Thanks very much. Just need to distract myself.

Did you go out too fast? This is something I do and then the breathing is horrible from the off.

Advice I was given was to put average pace on the watch and ease into pace over the first km, you don't need to start at race pace from the off - now if I could do that myself....!

GreeBo wrote: »
    So I've just noticed that basically I'm doing all of my 5K's in anaerobic mode rather than aerobic (in some cases I am doing the majority of the run in VO2 Max)

Does this matter?
    I've done 17 runs since starting (pretty much every 2nd day, first thing in the morning on empty stomach) and am down to 05'14" pace.
    I am certainly not nose breathing or running at conversation pace, but does it matter if I can keep it up for the 5k?
    05'09"
    05'23"
    05'29"
    05'10"
    05'05"

On a recent run I tried to run while only breathing through my nose and failed miserably so just went back to normal....so, should I care or worry about anything here?

Background is zero regular exercise since 2019 where I was playing intense 5-a-side once a week.

5ks anaerobically is to be expected. Improving your aerobic base will push your anaerobic threshold further down the path.

Are those times in kms or miles (kms I hope)?
    Have you had your VO2 tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Thanks

3k is a tough distance. This is where every bit of oxygen in is being used immediately. I'd expect your breathing to be tough from the start.

The fact it wasn't 2 weeks ago, suggests maybe it wasn't quite a max effort.

When you did your warm up and strides, did you let your body/breathing return to normal as in bit of a break for 2/3 mins? If so, this is a big mistake, HR should be slightly elevated when starting, last stride done and you should be starting the TT within 30 secs.

Was it an early start? I know for an early short race I have to get out for a 20 min jog about 2hrs before main race to wake the body up.

Maybe extend the warm up jog next time, couple extra strides and don't hang around after the last one. Finally bit of acceptance that the 3k is tough, right on the vo2 button.

GreeBo wrote: »

Does this matter?
    05'09"
    05'23"
    05'29"
    05'10"
    05'05"

Sounds like you're almost time trialing every 5k, not a good idea, you'll burn out or get injured.
    Racing a 5k, the breakdown is roughly 90% aerobic and 10% anaerobic and I think most runners who race 5k know exactly when that switch happens.

If your quickest Tim for 5k is 25 mins, I'd suggest your easy pace should be 5'50 and slower per k.
    If you want to get faster and quicker, you do need to slow down and on a run or 2 start extending the distance. When you run easy and extend the distance this is where the real fitness gains are made with the recruitment of certain muscle fibres, capillaries (Road network for blood to muscles) and mitochondria.

Keep doing what you're doing now and you will plateau or worse injure yourself.

Running is about patience. If you're creating a lifetime habit, what's the hurry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

A random and very niche question for FlipBelt owners :pac:

I've only recently got one and find it very good so far... the question i have is in relation to cleaning it.

I've just been handwashing mine in cold water and hanging it on the line; am very wary of putting it in a washing machine as any loss of shape or integrity would be game over I'd imagine.

Anyway would be interested to know what other folks do :confused:

Mar Azul wrote: »
    3k is a tough distance. This is where every bit of oxygen in is being used immediately. I'd expect your breathing to be tough from the start.

When you did your warm up and strides, did you let your body/breathing return to normal as in bit of a break for 2/3 mins? If so, this is a big mistake, HR should be slightly elevated when starting, last stride done and you should be starting the TT within 30 secs.

Was it an early start? I know for an early short race I have to get out for a 20 min jog about 2hrs before main race to wake the body up.

Maybe extend the warm up jog next time, couple extra strides and don't hang around after the last one. Finally bit of acceptance that the 3k is tough, right on the vo2 button.

Thank you. 3km is tough!

I did 3 strides and would have given myself a lot less time between them than 2/3 minutes, maybe a minute or less. I also stopped dead at the start as had to wait for a boxer and owner to clear the path as needed to know which path they were taking before I started as I didn't want to be hunted down.

Yes, it was an early start. Got up at 7:30 and so started at 8:30. Would be used to early morning sessions though but just never seems to have such an issue breathing during session than I did on Saturday. I think just confidence took a knock as expected a better effort than before. I was going to repeat the week but no point in doing that so will continue on. Appreciate feedback and assistance. I maybe just need a pat on the back and acceptance that it is tough and to HTFU. Over confidence got me that I could beat two weeks ago yet was way off. Live and learn.

I've only recently got one and find it very good so far... the question i have is in relation to cleaning it.

I've just been handwashing mine in cold water and hanging it on the line; am very wary of putting it in a washing machine as any loss of shape or integrity would be game over I'd imagine.

Have one but yet to use so still has hanger thing on which states the following.

'Wash at 30, wash separately before wearing. Machine wash cold with like colours.'

For my Husbands one I just threw in the wash and seems grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Hand-rinse and hang mine out - it's soaked with sweat after an hour running so needs washed each time. I'd think constant machine wash vs quick hand-wash would wear it out quicker.

Also, has a small tear in fabric that I don't want getting worse. Any tips on best way to patch this type of stretch fabric?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I wash with my other running gear - no issues so far. It’s one of my fav bits of kit ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Oh I fire mine into the washing machine with everything else! Have it now a couple of years and not a bother on it. Just make sure the key clip is tucked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Oh I fire mine into the washing machine with everything else! Have it now a couple of years and not a bother on it. Just make sure the key clip is tucked in.

I do the same. Have it since 2017 and it's grand. Only use it for long runs so it goes in once per week.

I have 3km x 3 interval sessions (at max effort) every 6-7 weeks and my God they are brutal.

The 5km TT is fine and even the 2 x 5km TT is not too bad but the 3k x 3 is pure evil.

All with a 15 minute progressive warm up.

I have 3km x 3 interval sessions (at max effort) every 6-7 weeks and my God they are brutal.

The 5km TT is fine and even the 2 x 5km TT is not too bad but the 3k x 3 is pure evil.

All with a 15 minute progressive warm up.

Ouch :D
    What recovery do you get between the 3x3k at max?

• Advertisement

Ouch :D
    What recovery do you get between the 3x3k at max?

Keeping moving (walk/jog) for 3mins

Advertisement