Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs that you're getting old

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ive started listening to Sunday Miscellany on RTE radio 1.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

When you can remember the days when you could get 2 sandwiches out of a packet of tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You can remember when people used drown puppies and kittens :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I remember pulling a bag of puppy bones out of a local stream when I was about 10, I'll never forget it.

Anyway my nose hairs have been getting a little out of control since going past 40 so I invested in a nose hair trimmer. Also when I looked in the mirror recently after coming out of the shower my reflection reminded me of Bang Bang Bart in The Simpsons :(

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

neris wrote: »
    when the 9 oclock news is one of the mainstays of watching tv in the evening

No, no. Never!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When you no longer care about saying NO to people. YOU matter!

Also stopping worrying about never being able to remember what you came into a room for. You will pass that way again.

PS I am after all not GETTING old. I AM old. The getting has all been got.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Ordered my reading glasses today ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Remember it well. I was 4 years old.<<snip>> It was the way it was in those days.

Mod: Absolutely no need to be so graphic about animal cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Very few real teeth left, balding with grey beard, stuped spine, arthritic legs, leaky sphincter, yellow toenails, failing eyesight, shrunken willy, shortness of breath, nasal hair and forgetfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When you think to yourself:

"Is that Garda old enough to work after 10pm at night? Child labour laws and all that."

"Is that driver old enough to legally drive a bus?" (I think you have to b 21).

"That nurse looks so young she looks like she should be wearing a school uniform - a primary school uniform."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Onaragatip

When you have to stop and think that 1995 was actually 26 years ago 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭YellowLead

When you start half of your sentences with ‘back in my day’.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

when you post on another thread here about an old board game you have and it dawns on you that you bought it 46 years ago with you conformation money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

No Sunday morning coitus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Very few real teeth left, balding with grey beard, stuped spine, arthritic legs, leaky sphincter, yellow toenails, failing eyesight, shrunken willy, shortness of breath, nasal hair and forgetfulness.

Early 30s are rough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sounds like you would be a hottie at an ICA dance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

:D

... me old spine.

Loving the small treasures of every day life as you know time is limited

Loving folk while they still have you there.

Seeing life as the treasure it is.

mad m wrote: »
    Remember it well. I was 4 years old.<<snip>> It was the way it was in those days.

And you let him?

We caught a man trying to bury live kittens. He will never do that again. Trust me on that!

Barbarians.

Blocking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,833 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Graces7 wrote: »
    And you let him?

We caught a man trying to bury live kittens. He will never do that again. Trust me on that!

Barbarians.

Blocking you.

Graces7 , in all honesty , how on earth would you expect a four year old child to take on their grandparent , and prevent him from doing what he did ?
    Unrealistic expectation imo .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Cats in the river, babies in the septic tank. Ireland was a barbaric place, at times, back in the day.

At least kids, for the most part, have more protection going for them these days.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

That's horrific and completely cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Samsgirl wrote: »
    That's horrific and completely cruel.

It mat be cruel but unfortunately that's the way it was back then. Cats and dogs weren't neutered, and the place would be overrun if people didn't control breeding.Your talking about a time when people where lucky if food was on table for their families.

You also have to remember that's it only in recent times that animals have become 'pets'.

In my grannies generation you wouldn't dream of letting a dog or cat into the home. They were kept to keep rats/mice away and for farming.

Animals were not seen in same light as they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

appledrop wrote: »
    It mat be cruel but unfortunately that's the way it was back then. Cats and dogs weren't neutered, and the place would be overrun if people didn't control breeding.Your talking about a time when people where lucky if food was on table for their families.

You also have to remember that's it only in recent times that animals have become 'pets'.

In my grannies generation you wouldn't dream of letting a dog or cat into the home. They were kept to keep rats/mice away and for farming.

Unfortunately I can attest to drowning kittens still being done within the past five years.

Many still keep dogs exclusively outdoors but they are well cared for,
    thankfully.

Back to topic: For me getting old is realising with surprise how much time has passed. When a reference is made to something in the 90s as if it was ages ago and you think "that's no length....oh #$€@ it's 30 years ago!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Onaragatip wrote: »
    When you have to stop and think that 1995 was actually 26 years ago &#55357;&#56900;
    So weird to think that in just 3 years time Kurt Cobain will have been dead for 30 years :eek:

Especially when you still see teenagers in Nirvana t-shirts now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

My joints are starting to go in my 30s. Clicky knee, clicky foot, my hip hurts and my back is constantly causing big issues - hobbling around for the last few weeks.

I now need to know where the heat patches, Volterol gel and all that stuff is.

Absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 se25

Making involuntary noises after simple, everyday movements..tying shoelaces, getting up after kneeling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

My joints are starting to go in my 30s. Clicky knee, clicky foot, my hip hurts and my back is constantly causing big issues - hobbling around for the last few weeks.

I now need to know where the heat patches, Volterol gel and all that stuff is.

Absolute nightmare.

I'd get that checked out, that's not normal for your 30s.

I think it has more to do with urbanisation than changing economic conditions per se.

Urbanisation has brought drastic changes to our lifestyles, and our relationships with animals and our community are a great example of that. I sound old in saying this, but the dog has replaced the neighbour, even the community, as a way in which we give our lives meaning.

It's all part of an inward-looking, individualist way of living, which is probably inevitable when community is little more than a living arrangement between strangers.

Many people in this forum were probably born prior to 1963, when – at least, in rural Ireland — land was very cheap and nobody needed planning permission – people lived where they wanted, around people they wanted to live beside. It had some advantages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

I'd get that checked out, that's not normal for your 30s.

I went to the GP about the knee a year or so ago and I really didn’t get anywhere. Just sorta wrote it off as nothing of concern. It sort of clicks and snaps when I walk and sometimes it feels like it’s locked or it might just “slip” momentarily.

He kinda vaguely looked at it (through my jeans).

My back has gone weird on occasion to the point I couldn’t walk when I was away on a business trip. I went to a doc there and it was just put down to a strain or bulging disk and they just sent me away with anti inflammatoires which worked, to a degree and it went away.

It was very freaky as I couldn’t get around anywhere and barely made it home.

I kinda forgot about it for months then and I just got another bout of it now over the last few weeks. It’s going on for years though.

I’ve had my back “go out” in my 20s a few rimes, to the point that I wouldn’t be able to get off the floor, but it will ease itself out, but I would end up being unable to even tie my shoelaces.

My feet and knees just always “clicked”. I never really paid much attention to it tbh.

Seems to be getting worse tho later in my 30s, but I would be typically “grand” most of the time.

I sorta put it down to maybe my sedentary job or something. The lockdown has probably made that worse, but I think age is definitely adding to it.

Advertisement