Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promising Young Woman

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think the film is absolutely brilliant up to the point where
    they burned her body
    . It should have ended there. The remainder of the film ruined what came before with a ludicrous ending, especially the
    scheduled texts
    which stretched all credibility.

A shame as it really would have hit home if Fennell was allowed to use the ending she wanted to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I didn't particuarly like the film, but people should still watch it and make up their own mind - it's definitely an interesting watch. Any suggestion it is some sort of 'MeToo propaganda' is utter nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

So what was the going to clubs and pretending to be drunk thing about?

The movie was pure revenge feminism

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's definitely a feminist film but I wouldn't consider it MeToo propaganda. However I do think MeToo was very much on the minds of the people involved in making it - to it's detriment! Mulligan is great but I also think she was miscast. I think the part required more of a blank slate in the lead role. Mulligan is like Brad Pitt in Troy - adding complexity to a character who isn't and shouldn't be complex.

While I don't necessarily agree that it should have ended with
    her body being burned
    , I do think the ending doesn't work.

Overall I liked the premise but not the execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Mad_maxx wrote: »

That could just be a funny plot device. Like it is in pretty much every other revenge flick ever made. You don't have to read into it politically. It doesn't force you to.

I've no problem with an otherwise entertaining film also having a happy side effect of depicting the realities of date rape - a crime often ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If you've seen this movie and you still don't understand this, if you don't recognise the scenarios.......... don't recognise the characters in the movie...... don't recognise the attitudes in the movie..... don't recognise the comments made in the movie..... then there's something up.

You can call it "revenge feminism" all you want. But you can only do so if you are also denying that any of the themes in the movie are accurate.

If not, but you are taking all of this into account and still dismissing this as "revenge feminism" then the issue is not the movie, it is you. Yo are the type of person that the movie is describing and are making the movie's point on it's behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think what makes Carey Mulligan brilliant is her voice. She has a great voice. Very easy to pay attention to.

I liked the film. I thought the casting made it.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If you've seen this movie and you still don't understand this, if you don't recognise the scenarios.......... don't recognise the characters in the movie...... don't recognise the attitudes in the movie..... don't recognise the comments made in the movie..... then there's something up.

You can call it "revenge feminism" all you want. But you can only do so if you are also denying that any of the themes in the movie are accurate.

If not, but you are taking all of this into account and still dismissing this as "revenge feminism" then the issue is not the movie, it is you. Yo are the type of person that the movie is describing and are making the movie's point on it's behalf.

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You are making some mighty leaps here on someone you dont know, based on a few comments on a movie review. Debate the post , taking a shot at the poster is the first step to losing any debate.

Opinions are allowed that differ from your own viewpoint its the basis of healthy debate.

I think feminism revenge fantasy is a broadly accurate description of the movie. Mostly because of the way the material has been handled and every single male character is shown as a rapist , potential rapist or enabler, which is ridiculous bordering on the fantastical.

As i said earlier if a movie was made in the morning which showed every single female character in its entire runtime in such a bad light certain movements would be up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Are you making up new genres?

"It's Mercy, Compassion And Forgiveness I Lack. Not Rationality!" - Kill Bill

You are making some mighty leaps here on someone you dont know.....

Oh yeah?
    Yawn

I know enough ;)

• Advertisement

Oh yeah?

I know enough ;)

sure you do :rolleyes:

sure you do :rolleyes:

Yawn!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Keep it friendly please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

As i said earlier if a movie was made in the morning which showed every single female character in its entire runtime in such a bad light certain movements would be up in arms.

To be fair, the women depicted in this aren't painted in a great light either. Her 'revenge' isn't limited to men.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Xaniaj wrote: »
    To be fair, the women depicted in this aren't painted in a great light either. Her 'revenge' isn't limited to men.

Yep very few characters are painted sympathetically other than minor supporting ones, and IMO the film certainly doesn't give Cassie a free pass for some of her actions.

Perhaps the only character granted a redemptive story
    is Alfred Molina's lawyer - he doesn't have much screen time, but he is clearly forgiven for his role in the mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Not a very good movie I thought. Forced "look at me " kind of agenda. Similar to the female Ghostbusters but nowhere near as poor.

In my opinion 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Started watching it last night, enjoyed it so far

yes , the Alison Brie character and the dean of the university character are targeted for not being loyal to the cause

its a vigilante flick essentially

yes , the Alison Brie character and the dean of the university character are targeted for not being loyal to the cause

Exactly.

Those with the "revenge feminism" and "agenda driven" narrative seem to focus on the men being painted badly but not the women, who are painted just as badly.

They also fail to acknowledge the actual scenarios the movie throws up. Why? Because to confirm what the movie is saying rings true would undermine their own flimsy argument.

Exactly.

Those with the "revenge feminism" and "agenda driven" narrative seem to focus on the men being painted badly but not the women, who are painted just as badly.

They also fail to acknowledge the actual scenarios the movie throws up. Why? Because to confirm what the movie is saying rings true would undermine their own flimsy argument.

No , women who are judged not to be sufficient allies are often demonised by the feminist movement , the movie portrays this , the Carey Mulligan character was merciless towards both female characters , one of them believed her daughter had been kidnapped , the other that she had unconsciously cheated on her husband having been set up by Mulligan , punishment for disloyalty

revenge flick as i said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Similar to Richard in dead mans shoes ,
    Hunter becomes the monster

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Exactly.

The most hated target of feminist movements are often women who do not agree with their viewpoint and it's often far more viscous as women are more vulnerable to certain types of bullying and harrasament.

The movie does touch on some very real issues unfortunately it's taken to the extreme, to it's detriment as plenty of people have said it's a fantasy .

The movie does touch on some very real issues .......

Gets them pretty spot on though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think if this truly was a feminist circle jerk the main character would have been much less problematic.

I don't think she's a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Yes, there's literally no characters painted in a flattering light. Even her parents are unsympathetic and harsh. Maybe the cafe owner, is the only character who seems to have no immediately obvious personality flaw or problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think if this truly was a feminist circle jerk the main character would have been much less problematic.

She’s not meant to be hero , she crossed the line and became the monster she fighting.

Good insight into the issues women face which seems (by this thread) unbelievable to some lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

errlloyd wrote: »

I don't think she's supposed to be a hero. She's a dark hero or anti-hero at best. To me her character demonstrated very tragically how sexual abuse can destroy and torment a soul til the end of their days. Many victims don't get over it, move beyond it, or ever recover from what happened to them. It literally consumes them forever. It's devastating to watch this downward spiral , all you can feel is disappointment that a woman like her with so much ahead of her in life (great career, bright etc)yet she can't better herself and pull her self up.Throughout the movie you are left wondering why she is wasting her life in such bitterness when it is not leading to anything worthwhile. She had so much else to live for, but it's impossible to move beyond.

But then you wonder, why am I putting this on her again, why are we asking that she must move on, why is it all on her to do this. Justice wasn't served, she should be angry and bitter until that changes. Really the only thing we should see as the way forward here is the rapist being called out, losing their credibility ,status and career and being prosecuted, not the victims moving on. That is the step that comes after retribution. So it's not just the fact that her friend was raped that caused her to put her life on hold. That's not why she threw it away, it's the lack of justice and lack of recognition of pain which destroyed her. And how will society ever improve in this regard if this continues to happen, when women are just expected to take it on the chin and let it go if authorities can't help out. How could we possibly be so callous as to expect these women improve themselves, when the man who caused this all continues to coast through repercussion free and hasn't suffered in any kind of way she did?

So really, I don't see her as a hero, I saw her as very powerless woman, left adrift and let down at every turn by those around her, devastated and hardened by what happened, doing what little she can to serve her own style of justice in other ways, even if it is not quite rational. But it gave her some kind of satisfaction and control over her life, even if we as viewers can see that it is probably not achieving anything she would have considered worthwhile or beneficial if she was in a normal healthy frame of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

The most hated target of feminist movements are often women who do not agree with their viewpoint and it's often far more viscous as women are more vulnerable to certain types of bullying and harrasament.

The movie does touch on some very real issues unfortunately it's taken to the extreme, to it's detriment as plenty of people have said it's a fantasy .

Do you mean they do go with the flow, or they don't go with the flow? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thought this was great, would rate it 8/10. Don't think I've ever seen Carey Mulligan give a bad performance, a great actress. This was certainly the best of the Best Picture nominees I've seen so far anyway.

It won't win though, Frances McDormand driving around America being poor and sad and talking to other people who're also poor and sad is obviously a better movie.

Advertisement