Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding Bank Fees & Charges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Dudda wrote: »
    The only real reason I need a non virtual account is the very rare time I get a cheque. Use Revolut for everything. Got one cheque from VHI recently when like other health insurance companies they gave people back money due to covid and lack of claims. Only one I can think of in the last year.

Do you have to accept a cheque? A lot of shops don't so can you refuse and ask companies to lodge to your account or is it not worth the hassle?

You can request a bank transfer from VHI. I got my VHI refund into my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The only real reason I need a non virtual account is the very rare time I get a cheque. Use Revolut for everything. Got one cheque from VHI recently when like other health insurance companies they gave people back money due to covid and lack of claims. Only one I can think of in the last year.

Do you have to accept a cheque? A lot of shops don't so can you refuse and ask companies to lodge to your account or is it not worth the hassle?

Open a credit union a/c. No fees

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Open a credit union a/c. No fees

First south CU in Cork have started charging fees so I assume other CUs are following suit if they haven’t already

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as others have previously mentioned, a savings account is generally free and you can lodge cheques to it (though without a debit card you may not be able to use the lodgement machines).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

So if you cancel your current account with BOI, can you keep your savings account open without the need to pay the new fees? Do you keep the web access to the account?
    What happens with the monthly direct debit to the savings account?
    Does anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

inel wrote: »
    So if you cancel your current account with BOI, can you keep your savings account open without the need to pay the new fees? Do you keep the web access to the account?
    Does anybody know?

don't know about BOI, but I previously had a deposit/savings account with AIB when I had no current account. Web access was still available but as I had no devit card I couldn't use a card reader and had a "code card" for certain features. I'm not sure if that's still available.

The DD comes from the current account, so just transfer it when you move the current.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Web access still available available for savings account but it's practically useless, it may allow online transfers in/out of the account. AFAIK fees only apply to current accounts so if you closed it and retain the savings account, there aren't any fees or charges.

Do you mean standing order for lodging into the savings account?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Do you mean standing order for lodging into the savings account?

Yes, sorry, I basically meant that. It currently seems to be set up as a direct debit from the BOI current account to the savings one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yes, sorry, I basically meant that. It currently seems to be set up as a direct debit from the BOI current account to the savings one.

What is your savings account at BOi called as not all will accept direct debits. If the account that funds that savings account is closed nothing will happen.

Banking 365 continues as normal even for just a savings account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Does anybody know?

I have a savings account with BOI, I don't have a current account.

I have 365 access to the savings account and have a regular standing order going into the account.

No fees to-date.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

I have a savings account with BOI, I don't have a current account.

I have 365 access to the savings account and have a regular standing order going into the account.

No fees to-date.

I have the same....but then I opened it in 1977 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Buffman

So if you cancel your current account with BOI, can you keep your savings account open without the need to pay the new fees?
    Yes

Do you keep the web access to the account?
    Yes
    It will go with current account and your savings will just stay the same. (assuming it's CA feeding your SA)

FYI you can manually pay into and out of the savings account with normal bank transfer, and also have a savings account ATM card that will only work in BOI ATMs. (It's basically an old fashioned bank card with no chip.)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Something odd there. What type of saving account do you have, is it a BOI goal saver or a BOI monthly saver ?

What is your savings account at BOi called as not all will accept direct debits. If the account that funds that savings account is closed nothing will happen.

Banking 365 continues as normal even for just a savings account
    Hibernicis wrote: »
    Something odd there. What type of saving account do you have, is it a BOI goal saver or a BOI monthly saver ?

It is a Goalsaver account. Direct debit is paid from the current account to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I managed to get it set up anyway. Can't remember if I had any issues at the time as it was a few years ago.

I don't foresee SCA being a problem as it's not an issue with any of the other cards I have on Curve that have already implemented SCA.

Edit: It might have been that EBS cut off the last character of the code. I seem to recall having that issue adding one card but don't remember which one. I know that I contacted Curve customer support, giving them the portion of the code I had, and they gave me the missing last character.

It's more to do with the app compatibility, the EBS SCA app doesn't work on Android <6. The login app works on Android >4, their FAQs indicate that they only support card SCA via the app.

Is Curve a way around that? ie will Curve transaction SCA suffice or will EBS SCA also be needed when using Curve with EBS card (after initial verification)?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

darconio wrote: »

So from this it would appear options are:
    1. EBS, which by all accounts is a terrible choice with online offerings/etc
    2. N26 or Revolut (but obvious caveats of no branch network/etc)
    3. Pay AIB, Bank of Ireland or PTSB

That's it, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

dulpit wrote: »

That's it, right?

I'm currently using Revolut with a free credit union account for any money deposits / withdrawals I need

An Post is another option, however they're a lot less appealing after deciding to get rid of their cashback.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

That's it, right?

Some credit unions are now offering current accounts as well. I think my local credit union current account is €2 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

That's it, right?

I have a joint account with KBC. I'm not aware of any of the online banks that offer joint accounts.

EBS are out, as the lack of functionality makes them unsuitable.

BoI, from thread here, complaints on Twitter and newspaper articles, are a shambles and I'll not be going there.

Previously had a joint account with PTSB, and they would screw things up every so often, and the solution always had them asking me to call into a branch. Not going back to that.

Looks like we're stuck with AIB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

That's it, right?

Options are:
    1. Free account if you are under 18, student, graduate, over 60/66.
    2. Free account with EBS but no app, no mobile payments, no online direct debit etc.
    3. Free account with Revolut or N26 or Monese but no cash/branch service.
    4. Pay PTSB 6 EUR per month and get 5 EUR per month cashback via debit card usage or more if you have Sky.
    5. Combo EBS (for rare branch needs) with Revolut or N26 or Monese. i.e. Use Revolut, N26 and Monese for 99% of your banking needs and EBS only if you are stuck. I think this is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭xckjoo

JTMan wrote: »
    Options are:
    1. Free account if you are under 18, student, graduate, over 60/66.
    2. Free account with EBS but no app, no mobile payments, no online direct debit etc.
    3. Free account with Revolut or N26 or Monese but no cash/branch service.
    4. Pay PTSB 6 EUR per month and get 5 EUR per month cashback via debit card usage or more if you have Sky.
    5. Combo EBS (for rare branch needs) with Revolut or N26 or Monese. i.e. Use Revolut, N26 and Monese for 99% of your banking needs and EBS only if you are stuck. I think this is the best option.
    Good summary. Just what I needed.

I'm thinking of 5. but with my local Credit Union instead of EBS. Would the way to go be to get wages into the CU account and then transfer out to Revolut or N26 as required? There's no advantage to getting wages paid into my N26 account is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

xckjoo wrote: »

I'm thinking of 5. but with my local Credit Union instead of EBS. Would the way to go be to get wages into the CU account and then transfer out to Revolut or N26 as required? There's no advantage to getting wages paid into my N26 account is there?

If your credit union account has an IBAN, you should be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭hold my beer

McGaggs wrote: »
    I have a joint account with KBC. I'm not aware of any of the online banks that offer joint accounts.

EBS are out, as the lack of functionality makes them unsuitable.

BoI, from thread here, complaints on Twitter and newspaper articles, are a shambles and I'll not be going there.

Previously had a joint account with PTSB, and they would screw things up every so often, and the solution always had them asking me to call into a branch. Not going back to that.

Looks like we're stuck with AIB.

BOI are far from a shambles, been with them 20 years and absolutely no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They only finally added google pay support a few months ago. Hardly leading edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭hold my beer

They only finally added google pay support a few months ago. Hardly leading edge.

Well that's completely different than being a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

xckjoo wrote: »

Or you could just have your wages paid to N26 and transfer to credit union where neccessary or if you mean if you need to make cash lodgements just make them to the credit union account and transfer them to N26.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Cameraman

Ditto. They are may not be very innovative or cheap (charges, exchange rates etc) but I've found them solid on the basics.
    They also have people you can talk to on the phone/twitter/branch (where there's still one). They are also regulated in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭xckjoo

TempAc wrote: »
    Or you could just have your wages paid to N26 and transfer to credit union where neccessary or if you mean if you need to make cash lodgements just make them to the credit union account and transfer them to N26.
    It's lodged straight into my account so that's not an issue. I guess I could skip the CU and just use N26, but I prefer the idea of my wages being lodged somewhere locally. I might use it as a savings and bills account and use N26 as a current.

I just need to figure out the credit card side of things. I don't think the CU or N26 offers them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Is there anything wrong with just going with/staying with KBC for now? It's not like tomorrow you'll be a BoI customer. It'll likely take a good year or 2 to transition. That's a year or 2 of no fees vs 1990s EBS bank account.

N26 isn't an option for myself as work don't pay into it.

* I literally opened a KBC account 2 days ago, and i've the switcher form ready to go.

Advertisement