Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I can imagine the VFI, and the likes of Dunnes and Supervalu strongly objecting to that unfortunately.

They could object, wouldn't stop it from happening if amazon wanted to provide that service though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

They could object, wouldn't stop it from happening if amazon wanted to provide that service though.

MUP for alcohol coming in at the end of the year, so there wouldn't be much price benefit buying it from Amazon (unless they were selling expensive wine and whiskey a bit cheaper).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I wonder will they sell alcohol in the new Irish center when it's up and running

You can imagine that our shower will through some sort of "can only buy alcohol between 10 and 10" clause. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

loyatemu wrote: »
    MUP for alcohol coming in at the end of the year, so there wouldn't be much price benefit buying it from Amazon (unless they were selling expensive wine and whiskey a bit cheaper).

I agree, the price benefit would still likely be there on premium alcohol but for me it would more be the convenience and accessibility to other brands which may not be available locally or may require a bit more of a search to find a stockist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cindella_D

From the non-chat thread
    Basq wrote: »
    I've a few standalone WiFi plugs but found myself running out of ideas for them after using them for electric blanket, Christmas tree lights (godsend for them). Switching all my sockets - especially €15 for a 2 gang - seems a bit excessive not to mention pricey everywhere.

I got the Extension cord one so I can have my whole room hooked up and when I get home have the blanket heating up while I putter away downstairs and the lamp on so that I don't have to turn on the light.

I also use the standalone plugs for like the lamp in the front room turning on in the evenings and turning off in case I forget, my slow cookers each have one and I agree that the xmas tree lights are a great idea.

I think that like setting up sockets in the wall is a lot and that it'd be simpler just to get the ones you can move about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Cindella_D wrote: »
    From the non-chat thread

I got the Extension cord one so I can have my whole room hooked up and when I get home have the blanket heating up while I putter away downstairs and the lamp on so that I don't have to turn on the light.

I also use the standalone plugs for like the lamp in the front room turning on in the evenings and turning off in case I forget, my slow cookers each have one and I agree that the xmas tree lights are a great idea.

I think that like setting up sockets in the wall is a lot and that it'd be simpler just to get the ones you can move about.

Christmas lights in the house and from the shed all on smart plugs worked brilliantly. Electric blankets also great.
    TV and Sat boxes, not a good idea when the power flickers in the middle of a match and the socket won't come back on until the modem resets and wifi is active again.

Few lamps attached to turn off and on without having to worry about forgetting. Slow cooker.

What else do you use them for? I have an extra one at the moment and don't really have a use for it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Christmas lights in the house and from the shed all on smart plugs worked brilliantly. Electric blankets also great.
    TV and Sat boxes, not a good idea when the power flickers in the middle of a match and the socket won't come back on until the modem resets and wifi is active again.

Few lamps attached to turn off and on without having to worry about forgetting. Slow cooker.

What else do you use them for? I have an extra one at the moment and don't really have a use for it.

I have smart plugs for charging my work laptop and phone. I have them set on a timer to come on at 5 am for an hour or two.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Soarer wrote: »
    You can imagine that our shower will through some sort of "can only buy alcohol between 10 and 10" clause. :rolleyes:

This is already the case with Tesco's online delivery service, you can only order alcohol for delivery between 10 and 10.

I've also gotten alcohol delivered via couriers like DPD from the likes of the Irish Whiskey Shop, The Beer Club and other off licenses with no issues.

Though now that I think of it, I can't remember if any of those came before 10am. I think with these ones, delivery time doesn't matter, because they process the order the day before when you actually placed the order.

Either way I don't think it would stop amazon, they could definitely figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The system is in place to prevent "emotional" purchases of alcohol.
    If you order online with delivery time in 48 hours, it hardly qualifies as such. You are not buying to drink it straight away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

grogi wrote: »
    The system is in place to prevent "emotional" purchases of alcohol.
    If you order online with delivery time in 48 hours, it hardly qualifies as such. You are not buying to drink it straight away now.

It's always an emotional moment when I purchase alcohol

• Advertisement

Those smart sockets: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BG-Electrical-Socket-Compatible-Moulded/dp/B07VC1GWV9

Are they Tuya based?
    It's always an emotional moment when I purchase alcohol

You know what I meant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Asus X540L wrote: »
    (another one shamelessly nicked from HUKD):

Case of 24x330ml Highland Spring: €3.80 delivered!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016OVG6LK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

From their item description!

"Every drop of Highland Spring is lovingly drawn from organic land."

LOL! And in reviews section there's a parent who's son only drink certain brands of water!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

I have one of those washing machines that doesn't stop beeping! when the cycle is done. So I use the smart plug as a kill switch when I'm lying in bed ( I've it set to come back on again every morning because I usually forget to turn it back on)

The sunset function works well for lamps and I have a dehumidifier that comes on every night for a few hours.

I've yet to find a good immersion smart switch, if anyone knows of one

sharpish wrote: »
    I have one of those washing machines that doesn't stop beeping! when the cycle is done. So I use the smart plug as a kill switch when I'm lying in bed ( I've it set to come back on again every morning because I usually forget to turn it back on)

The sunset function works well for lamps and I have a dehumidifier that comes on every night for a few hours.

Perfect, I never thought of that. drives my wife nuts. Alexa, Stop the beeping :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

sharpish wrote: »

https://www.teslauk.com/product/7795/t-smart-thermostat

Was looking at these myself

Perfect, I never thought of that. drives my wife nuts. Alexa, Stop the beeping :-)

If your washer is a bosch like mine then google how to turn of the beeping on that particular model....Press a few buttons and it mutes the beeping

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just double check the load values of the smart plugs. Most should be ok, but just in case!

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    If your washer is a bosch like mine then google how to turn of the beeping on that particular model....Press a few buttons and it mutes the beeping

Done. 3 2 1 0 :)

Strange fees

I'm looking to buy kids runners costing £20.01 From amazon "Guaranteed delivery: 19 April 2021 If you order in the next 23 hours and 58 minutes. Details
    Items dispatched from Amazon EU Sàrl"

Im a prime member and check is adding on an extra
    Order Summary
    Items: GBP 20.01
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 4.20
    Order Total: GBP 24.21

I thought cos it was under the magic £22 number it would infact be approx 17 quid? all in.
    Whats going on anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Strange fees

I'm looking to buy kids runners costing £20.01 From amazon "Guaranteed delivery: 19 April 2021 If you order in the next 23 hours and 58 minutes. Details

Order Summary

I thought cos it was under the magic £22 number it would infact be approx 17 quid? all in.

It's €22 not £22, £20 is €23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Strange fees

Order Summary

It's a 0% VAT item in the UK and Amazon, for the most part incorrectly, charges us the Irish VAT on kids shoes. The correct price for ROI customers should also be £20.01.

It's a 0% VAT item in the UK and Amazon, for the most part incorrectly, charges us the Irish VAT on kids shoes. The correct price for ROI customers should also be £20.01.

If i order do they refund or do i just suck it up?

If i order do they refund or do i just suck it up?
    Some boardsies did manage to get refunds, I had less luck in my first attempt. I got more kids shoes since then, so will have to try again.

Some boardsies did manage to get refunds, I had less luck in my first attempt. I got more kids shoes since then, so will have to try again.

I wonder how or what the reason was, Chat was it or raise a ticket?

I wonder how or what the reason was, Chat was it or raise a ticket?
    Chat - first I had to endure a lecture about Brexit consequences (this here actually isn't Brexit related - if you browse this forum, you'll find similar cases from several years ago), then they told me to wait see if our local customs adjust the VAT on parcel arrival - they simply had no clue. So no clear refusal as such, I just haven't followed up on that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Those smart sockets: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BG-Electrical-Socket-Compatible-Moulded/dp/B07VC1GWV9

Are they Tuya based?

You know what I meant :)

They look decent but no usb c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Are they Tuya based?
    Are Tuya any good ? I've been interested in getting their Radiator TVRs

deadl0ck wrote: »

I have other Tuya based switches and want to avoid multiple apps and HomeAssistant integrations. That's why...

Tuya is just a software platform, not great either. But very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I have a smart dehumidifier that relies on Tuya and don’t know if it’s the fault of the dehumidifier or tuya but o have a schedule on weekdays to turn it off at 5pm the problem is that if it’s off the schedule actually turns it on! The actions is 100% in the all power OFF not change power state, poor programming on the apps side I reckon.

It also has a smart feature I set that if temperature drops below 5 then turn on heat mode but it triggers itself again every few minutes if it hasn’t reached a temperature above five yet so gets stuck In a cycle of turning itself on and off. Same for if the humidity goes above 70%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

Mother of God they're cheap. I've been thinking about smart TRVs myself but most are like 70 quid or so each.

Advertisement