Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I fixed Irish car registration plate formatting. Discuss.

Options
  • 12-04-2021 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Having the third digit I found adds unnecessary confusion. Here's my design to get our old simpler, nicer plates back while providing even more context for potential car buyers.

n2mQMfc.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

You'd go back to a huge peak in sales in January. People don't read the small print in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

irelandjnr wrote: »
    Having the third digit I found adds unnecessary confusion

Wouldn’t it be just easier to learn how the third digit works?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

How about using a letter for each month

A=JAN
    B=FEB
    C=MAR
    D=APR
    etc..

so Wicklow April 2021 would be

21D-WW-1234

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm fairly struggling with the 201, 202 and 211, I was fine for those leading up to 2020 but find it hard to quickly gauge the year on these for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I'm fairly struggling with the 201, 202 and 211, I was fine for those leading up to 2020 but find it hard to quickly gauge the year on these for some reason.

I'm the same. I keep thinking 202 is first half of 2021 for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I'm the same. I keep thinking 202 is first half of 2021 for some reason.

Same with me, I'm 2nd guessing cars I think are brand new and they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Psychoss

Same here... "Why is this mint condition 201 Golf a 7.5 and not an 8"... oh right, that's early 2020, not 2021...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wouldn’t it be just easier to learn how the third digit works?
    it works to give the motor industry a sales bump in the middle of the year.
    Germany, a country with a motor manufacturing industry doesn't have this year identifier to promote sales and excessive consumption.
    A MK7 Golf from the first year of production is not treated any differently from the last MK7 Golf to roll off the production line.
    The insurer doesn't ask for the year of registration and don't penalise based upon the age of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

500px-780_FZL_license_plate.svg.png

There, fixed it. No need for the year to be on the plate at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nice plate.
    Of course I think we should just have two county types on Irish plates.

* Galway

* Not Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Thank God the number 13 was never left on the plate

Danny_Healy-Rae.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya since 2020, the plates are a mess. 131 / 132 ................. 191/192 are fine.

201, 202
    211, 212
    221, 222

Its nuts - as above, its going to get even worst when we get next years plate. It needs a new plan - Motor industry will insist on a july plate so going back to one plate wont happen.
    It also needs to roll off the tongue so something like 22A, 22B wont work ....22A D 10123 doesnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

biko wrote: »
    Nice plate.
    Of course I think we should just have two county types on Irish plates.

* Galway

* Not Galway

ZM and MI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

201 when you read it could be twenty one 20 1
    Don't get me started on 20 2

Should move to the UK system where they add 50 on to the year for the second half of the registration year, which starts in March the following year.

Way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Just get rid of the registration plates altogether. Or else a personalised one that stays with the owner.

The car dealers can go phuqq themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The uk was nice when it came out originally - 01 / 51.............. 09/59. Got a bit messed up with 10 /60........ 19 /69.
    Still better than what we have now. Our previous system was arguably as good as anything in the world in terms of suiting trade because it has the year clearly on the plate plus it could be easily remembered being broken up into identifiable sections - year / county/ serial. Our current plate needs a double check or triple check to get the first bit right.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Sparkey84

i would love it if we went to the Australian system. just random numbers and letters. a car sitting in front of you could be 2 years old or 6 years old. you can only tell when a model changes.

such a more healthy way to value a car by its condition rather than by the inky status symbol that is the reg plate. our rate of debt is high for cars and the "keeping up with the jones" mentality puts so much pressure on people.

mickdw wrote: »
    The uk was nice when it came out originally - 01 / 51.............. 09/59. Got a bit messed up with 10 /60........ 19 /69.
    Still better than what we have now. Our previous system was arguably as good as anything in the world in terms of suiting trade because it has the year clearly on the plate plus it could be easily remembered being broken up into identifiable sections - year / county/ serial. Our current plate needs a double check or triple check to get the first bit right.

How the hell is that better than what we have now!

It’s the year with either 1 or 2 after it, it’s not abstract algebra.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

BailMeOut wrote: »
    How about using a letter for each month

A=JAN
    B=FEB
    C=MAR
    D=APR
    etc..

so Wicklow April 2021 would be

21D-WW-1234

Dublin will fill my appetite nicely.

21D D 1234

Always partial to double Ds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Uk is a mess when it comes to comparing with our own. I looked at a car on Saturday it was a 2018 according to salesman, when I looked at it the reg was 67...I thought it 6 was for 2nd half of year and 7 was 2017 so I thought it a 172....but no it will be registered a 181 when changed over

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Agreed. It's pretty straight forward to read imo. First 2 digits = the year, 3rd digit is either first or second half of the year.

Have never understood the NI or UK plates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Uk is a mess when it comes to comparing with our own. I looked at a car on Saturday it was a 2018 according to salesman, when I looked at it the reg was 67...I thought it 6 was for 2nd half of year and 7 was 2017 so I thought it a 172....but no it will be registered a 181 when changed over

The UK semesters start around Easter and Halloween (somebody else can confirm the exact months)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

One important aspect of registration plates, is ease of recall, and partial plate ID.

In the event of a crime, the plate should be easy to recall, and ID using partial info.

IMO names on plates could aid in huge revenue for the state, with fee's for transfers etc

We have one of the simplest, easily understood and long life systems.

Why are we trying to change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

slipperyox wrote: »
    One important aspect of registration plates, is ease of recall, and partial plate ID.

In the event of a crime, the plate should be easy to recall, and ID using partial info.

IMO names on plates could aid in huge revenue for the state, with fee's for transfers etc

Different plates for each county would be class, like they have for states in America
    We could keep the EU flag on the left
    Then a little icon on the right, three castles for Dublin, the oak tree for Tyrone, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Buddy Bubs wrote: »

A 67 plate is a vehicle first registered anytime between 1st September 2017 and 28th March 2018.

We could definitely make alterations for some counties

99NQNBK

http://imgur.com/a/99NQNBK

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

mickdw wrote: »

Its nuts - as above, its going to get even worst when we get next years plate. It needs a new plan - Motor industry will insist on a july plate so going back to one plate wont happen.
    It also needs to roll off the tongue so something like 22A, 22B wont work ....22A D 10123 doesnt work.

What are you on about? :confused:

1. Why will next year's be any worse?
    2. Why does it need to roll off the tongue?
    3. How hard is it to decipher the current format really?! It takes perhaps a milisecond longer than the last format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Sparkey84

so jack and bill were in the pub one night (names changed) jack was winding up bill telling him his electric shower was a year old and he got a new one.

bill; that was quick for the old one to break
    jack; the old one did not break
    bill; o you changed to a pump shower?
    jack; no exactly the same unit again.

bill was as confused as hell as to why you would change a shower that was not broken, jack kept winding him up with phases "i like to treat myself" or "sure the old shower needed a service"

everybody at the table laughing hysterically.
    penny dropped after a while.....

bill had just bought his 3rd ford focus in four years, all grey all 1.6 petrol all exact same model.

each to their own but i kinda think the year on the reg plate is a nasty sales ploy. a very effective one mind.

Advertisement