Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoholic Drinks from yesteryear

Options
  • 31-03-2021 7:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭

What alcoholic drinks can you remember from the past that you can't get anymore? I'll start the ball rolling with Hudson Blue Cider. I think it was made by Guinness. Anyway it wasn't very good as it was super harsh on the stomach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Id murder a breó.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Remember Firstenberg coming out on tap all over the place and it was the strongest beer on tap you could get, 4 pints and you were on your ear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Satzenbrau

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Bomas 10/4
    Used to drink it at college in early 90s... akin to necking flavoured turps

44648567.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

I worked in a pub during the 80's so the ones that stick in my mind that you don't see any more are McArdles, Babycham and Snowball. That said, I'm very rarely in pubs so maybe they're still around, somewhere.

Dressed PIMMS or Dressed Orange were popular drinks back then too. PIMMS still exists and so does Club Orange, of course, but I'm not sure if people are still frosting glasses for them and adding cream and a straw-speared cherry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Red Square. Rotten sh!te from my student days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Snow balls. They had alcohol in them didn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

storker wrote: »
    I worked in a pub during the 80's so the ones that stick in my mind that you don't see any more are McArdles, Babycham and Snowball. That said, I'm very rarely in pubs so maybe they're still around, somewhere.

Dressed PIMMS or Dressed Orange were popular drinks back then too. PIMMS still exists and so does Club Orange, of course, but I'm not sure if people are still frosting glasses for them and adding cream and a straw-speared cherry.
    McArdles still about , a country pub near to me still stock for the few regulars who drink it ( large bottle) it’s not bad

BA633124-1622-47-DE-B734-363-F6144-E290.jpg

Thunderbird. That stuff was rocket fuel. It would perfectly fit into those towel roller things in the school bathroom. If there was a school disco that night, you’d bring your drink to school with you that day and when the last bell went, you’d hide it in the towel roller. Fast forward to that night and you’d prance into school all dressed up with no need for a bag.

The teachers never copped where we hid it but one night one of the girls got sick all over the headmistress and that was the end of the school discos.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Guinness Light. Anyone who was there knows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Bass, Stag and Phoenix.

We used always get flagons of 'Boss' cider from an off licence in Moore Street. May aswell drink vinegar.
    Anyone remember that stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

d6ff98507e89d63020c5f3bf08ec5e99.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Satzenbrau

It's actually still available in cans! Had to Google it there because I hadn't seen it for years. I still remember the ad from the 80s. Wasn't it aimed at women?
    "Lager with a difference... Satzenbrau"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Fat frogs and all those other alcho pops....

My mate used to drink pils if she was dieting cos the ad said “more of the sugar has been turned to alcohol” :D

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

Woody's. Always a great way to finish off a night out. The lemon one that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

Colt 45..... and of course Blue Nun , Black Tower etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Cans of LCL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Dubonnet and white lemonade were the high of sophistication when I was young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Bottles of Carlsberg special brew 9% if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

Hoffmans lager, dont miss the hangovers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Pints of Harp, not sure if it's still available but it used to be everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭blackwave

Holstein Pils

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Bottles of smirnoff mule

I spent college drinking Ritz.

blackwave wrote: »
    Holstein Pils

That’s the one that had an ad saying more of the sugar had been turned to alcohol!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

pm. wrote: »
    Pints of Harp, not sure if it's still available but it used to be everywhere
    Yes, they are rare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭keepwalking

Omackeral wrote: »
    d6ff98507e89d63020c5f3bf08ec5e99.jpg

I loved Woody's, I used to mix an orange one and a lemon one together to make a boozy rock shandy! :) Bacardi Rigo was another alcopop I liked back in the day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Hooch, Mugshot

Advertisement