Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Give it a year after Covid lockdown ends and all the money that people saved up has washed through.
    Atm people have too much money and manufacturers are putting up prices because of scarcity of product from factories on half work from covid.

Sister bought a new car last year. Same car this year is 3k at least dearer.

Related to grant and covid but waiting lists on some slurry tanks are 8 months some a year. Prices have exploded naturally enough.

Even my dairy service technician for the dairy annual service was twice what it usually is.

Things are very very expensive now and some services and sellers are increasing margin to compensate. Becomes a vicious circle.

i can confirm this about cars , i bought a new car last year , same model is 3 k dearer this year and it wasnt a 90 k BMW either

signed a contract for new windows yesterday , 15300 for treble glaze , same job was 11900 in may 2018 , we didnt proceed that time which was foolish in hindsight

home improvements are awful expensive such is the demand , materials scarce ( allegedly )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Was half thinking of getting a dog. Wont say how much it was in the first place as it was mad but it has jumped up another €500 in the last week. The arse will fall out of that market whenever travel opens back up

Wait until people go back to their offices.
    The pounds will be bursting at the seams with dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭893bet

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I'm in Cavan and I got a price off a guy of 3500 to lay about 750 blocks, didn't even come and look and then said it was a cash price.

Are people on drugs? They want a months wages for a weeks work if that.

I can't get a digger and operator to dig a soak hole and drainage trench, stone on site weeks now. Nobody interested in small jobs.

Pull the covid payment and roll on the big bang please !!!

Out of curiosity does the at price include supply and fit?

Is he laying a new foundation for the wall?

How long is the wall? How high?

Good money if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Ginger83

893bet wrote: »
    Out of curiosity does the at price include supply and fit?

Is he laying a new foundation for the wall?

How long is the wall? How high?

Good money if you can get it.

No that's a labour only price.
    750 blocks with 100mm cavity board, ready to lay on foot blocks.
    All materials supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

rs8 wrote: »
    Is it me or are things gone back to the celtic tiger days ?

Machinery at a crazy all time high especially secondhand stuff ... wore out tractors/diggers fetching stupid money. Seen a fiat 110/90 for 45k on done deal like is there something I'm missing?

14 year old landcruisers/hiluxes with high mileage getting about 4k more than there worth!!

Man came at me to sell my mini digger and offered 3k more than I paid for it 2 years ago.

Sorry about the rant but do people not remember the years of 2010/2011/2012? Is anyone forecasting a big downturn and how soon do you reckon it will come?

Celtic tiger prices with recession wages isn't a good mix for the country

and the mad thing is some people seem to be welcoming it (probably think they can make a few euro) as if it didn't blow up spectacularly last time.

An auctioneer here is saying a cottage without a kitchen or central heating system will make 100k, absolute lunacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

We're seeing here in meath and the commuter towns around Dublin that lads won't work unless there getting 250 euro plus because there getting it in the city!!

I do be keeping an eye on the auctions on the phone and Saturday in portlaoise a taarup 6 rotor tedder made €4300 plus commission and properly vat!! We bought a shop soild 4 rotor krone for 8k two years ago .. considering how old a taarup product is since kverneland bought them out I think ill stick to my new machine for 3.5k more and do a few more laps of the field!!

Kubota bought them they own kvernland too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Plenty of people working from home on full wages, no commuting costs, no holidays to spend money on, no pubs or restaurants, kids at home during college, no accommodation costs, no expensive clothes shopping just basics bought online, no creche fees for some family's , a lot of money has been saved during the last year and it's burning a hole in people's pockets

yet on the other side of the economy a lot of people who aren't working due to covid have had to borrow to keep up with bills, the credit unions are giving out covid loans.

It's been good for those of us who can work from home and very bad for others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

What are the central bankers choices?
    Allow interest rates to rise, even a small bit and a massive amount of the economy will unwind...
    Ignore inflation and tell us it isnt happening until it gets serious, then allow interest rates to rise and unwind the economy.

Think that the second option is what they'll go for

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

add to that that 40% of all the US dollars that have ever been printed have been printed have been printed in the last year. US companys are using this cheap money to buy back their shares which is driving the stock markets crazy when they should be investing their companies and innovating.
    And bitcoin - noting but a glorified pyramid scheme making some people a lot of money I know but when you see crap like that you know we are in for some trouble ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

add to that that 40% of all the US dollars that have ever been printed have been printed have been printed in the last year. US companys are using this cheap money to buy back their shares which is driving the stock markets crazy when they should be investing their companies and innovating.
    And bitcoin - noting but a glorified pyramid scheme making some people a lot of money I know but when you see crap like that you know we are in for some trouble ahead

I spent a small few pound on bitcoin at the start of covid, price of a nice calf. Cashed out 75%. Made more money than all my savings in credit union and bank in my entire life.

I think I will start to mind what I have a bit better. Woeful waste makes for woeful want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

lab man wrote: »
    Kubota bought them they own kvernland too

Out of interest what age would you put a taarup tedder at? Surely 15 years old?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I'm in Cavan and I got a price off a guy of 3500 to lay about 750 blocks, didn't even come and look and then said it was a cash price.

Are people on drugs? They want a months wages for a weeks work if that.

I can't get a digger and operator to dig a soak hole and drainage trench, stone on site weeks now. Nobody interested in small jobs.

Pull the covid payment and roll on the big bang please !!!

Read between the lines.he didnt look at the job and quoted you a crazy price, he dosent want to do your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Ginger83

K.G. wrote: »

Read between the lines.he didnt look at the job and quoted you a crazy price, he dosent want to do your job.

He might have had the decency to say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Dunedin

K.G. wrote: »

Yeah but if poster was foolish enough to give him the job you can bet your bottom dollar he’d take it and smile all the way - €3.5k cash for 3 days work, nice if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's frightening the amount of so-called investors who think cryptocurrency is a good investment. :mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

20% of US dollars not 40%

i think this printing money is likely to continue for next 2 to 3 years.....everything from pedigree ewes,to vintage tractors to sheepdogs is rocketing well beyond its realistic value

No government has appitide for austrity and the populace wont take it either after the lost decade of 09 to 19 and massive restrictions of last year or so

Which is a balls really,as im hoping to be in a position to build towards end 2022,/early to mid 2023......fcuk knows what build prices will look like then

correct, 20% not 40% - but still a lot
    C0N0R wrote: »
    20% of US dollars not 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

I am very tempted to now sell a fairly rough 165 I have after reading all this. It only does about 50 hours a year, has new tyres and mechanically good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Big push down these parts for lads to go to UK again mad looking for lads again, serious money being promised for trades men and semi skilled operatives. I was talking to a middle aged chap today, has 3 or 4 kids here itching to go, 1200 sterling into the hand accommodation paid for, working on utilities and pulling cable, tempting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

A fella was only saying to me today isnt it mad how a lot of first year and second year apprentices are driving fresh enough (less than 5 years old) Audis and other fairly classy brands of cars these days as well as the high insurance premiums The second year apprentice with us spent €14k on a fresh golf recently and the guts of €2k on insurance, this is his first car and hes still on his provisional. He cant even drive it to work and only gets a spin in it at the weekend at best he said and it could be another year before he gets his full licence due to covid. I have an 11 year old car and ive put up 40,000kms since i got her 9 odd months ago shes at 250,000 now and ill be hoping to get to near 400,000 on her all the same before i think of upgrading. I can see how lads are going mad spending all the same im still only on the first year rate myself and im putting away €110 a week between my employers savings club and my own savings which i will up close on to €200/week when i get the second year rate. The lads in work dont know how im surviving between commuting and paying into the savings club when im on €8/hr but they dont realise what wages are like down the country one lad told me before the only time he ever worked for €150/day cash was during the recession when he was on the scratcher as well. There is definitly a serious divide in this country.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

PCP/Hire purchase, and probably a credit union loan for insurance.

timple23 wrote: »
    PCP/Hire purchase, and probably a credit union loan for insurance.

He had no costs of commuting for the last year and a half and still doesnt, living at home, non smoker, never went wild yet, got a nice wedge of country money too over the last 6 months.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Red Sheds wrote: »
    I am very tempted to now sell a fairly rough 165 I have after reading all this. It only does about 50 hours a year, has new tyres and mechanically good.

Well as far as I can see its a sellers market out there with machinery/property

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

i think this printing money is likely to continue for next 2 to 3 years.....everything from pedigree ewes,to vintage tractors to sheepdogs is rocketing well beyond its realistic value

No government has appitide for austrity and the populace wont take it either after the lost decade of 09 to 19 and massive restrictions of last year or so

Which is a balls really,as im hoping to be in a position to build towards end 2022,/early to mid 2023......fcuk knows what build prices will look like then
    I’m the same. I would have had mortgage approved if this round of lock down didn’t happen or was delayed a few weeks. Hate to think of prices at the end of the year, early next year.

i remember in secondary school and one teacher literally beating the school work into us and telling us that if we didn't learn anything at school we would end up on a building site!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

kerryjack wrote: »
    Big push down these parts for lads to go to UK again mad looking for lads again, serious money being promised for trades men and semi skilled operatives. I was talking to a middle aged chap today, has 3 or 4 kids here itching to go, 1200 sterling into the hand accommodation paid for, working on utilities and pulling cable, tempting

Heard that too today. English companies are looking for Irish lads big time

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

Is it me or are things gone back to the celtic tiger days ?

Machinery at a crazy all time high especially secondhand stuff ... wore out tractors/diggers fetching stupid money. Seen a fiat 110/90 for 45k on done deal like is there something I'm missing?

14 year old landcruisers/hiluxes with high mileage getting about 4k more than there worth!!

Man came at me to sell my mini digger and offered 3k more than I paid for it 2 years ago.

Sorry about the rant but do people not remember the years of 2010/2011/2012? Is anyone forecasting a big downturn and how soon do you reckon it will come?

Yea men must be spending COVID money on cattle too 200 kg ch bull calves at £700 long time until it’s worth another 700

i remember in secondary school and one teacher literally beating the school work into us and telling us that if we didn't learn anything at school we would end up on a building site!!

An awful snobbery that still exists in this part of the country anyway. A good few lads i went to school with are after getting into apprenticeships well into our twenties as they were looked down upon when we were studying for the leaving certificate.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Out of interest what age would you put a taarup tedder at? Surely 15 years old?

Feck it I was alongside it yesterday could have checked for a serial plate there was a good bit of kit from the one farm there that was old but in as new condition twas from a farm that the farmer died , including the fert spreader I bought twas 06 but hasn't seen ten tonne spread all stickers etc still on it no rust on the ram or anything the tedder looked very clean too

Advertisement