Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rancilio Silvia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Here’s a pic of the wires and everything else that had to go in. And then the finished product.

I got it from Auber Instruments in the US. Seems to be most common one used. Ordered from their website and was here in 3 days.

Here’s a pic of the wires and everything else that had to go in. And then the finished product.

I got it from Auber Instruments in the US. Seems to be most common one used. Ordered from their website and was here in 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Looking good!
    I have different PID
    https://mecoffee.nl/
    It was one person company, probably not making them anymore.
    It so advanced , could control pump pressure during the shot/preinfusion , control solenoid valve , on/off timers , change settings via APP on your smartphone etc.
    But at the end of the day , you only need PID , nothing more.
    Ramping up temperature for the lighter roasts and decrease for darker and keep it stable.
    If you have fresh beans , good grinder , some tamping skills , you don’t need preinfusion and other gimmicks.

What temperature do you have it at for light roasts then? The Auber PID is at 105c as standard.

I am not sure if we could compare 2 different PIDs.
    Where is your temperature sensor connected to ? Boiler , group head etc ?
    I normally would have 3-4 degrees difference between lighter and darker roasts , but I guess it is only trials and personal experience matters...

• Advertisement

alec76 wrote: »
    I am not sure if we could compare 2 different PIDs.
    Where is your temperature sensor connected to ? Boiler , group head etc ?
    I normally would have 3-4 degrees difference between lighter and darker roasts , but I guess it is only trials and personal experience matters...
    Mine is connected to the boiler.

I would try your favourite beans at 101 then same at 108, note the difference , do some small adjustments after.

A question for any Silvia owners out there. When my shot is pulling the drip tray vibrates quite a bit - so much so that you need to hold the cup in place otherwise it will move out of the way of the flow of espresso.

Do others have the same issue, and if so, any home hack ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jeberle23

Any recommendations for where you can pick up one of these in Ireland? I emailed homecoffeemachines.ie and they weren't sure when they'd be back in stock. Would ideally like to keep it local if at all possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

barrac wrote: »
    A question for any Silvia owners out there. When my shot is pulling the drip tray vibrates quite a bit - so much so that you need to hold the cup in place otherwise it will move out of the way of the flow of espresso.

Did you try a different cup? It may just be hitting a resonant frequency. Also check that the drip tray is well positioned and that the machine is on a good solid surface - try a non slip mat under it.

• Advertisement

barrac wrote: »
    A question for any Silvia owners out there. When my shot is pulling the drip tray vibrates quite a bit - so much so that you need to hold the cup in place otherwise it will move out of the way of the flow of espres?
    Very light cup I presume?
    Mine tray vibrates too,not affecting heavier cups, only small 60 ml cups , It isn't bothering me to be honest . Small magnet under the drip tray might help ...

Thanks for the replies. It happens with most cups, definitely not just a small espresso one. If I don’t keep my hand on it there will be espresso going in to the drip tray by the end of the shot!

I might look in to an anti vibration mat? The machine is on a solid kitchen surface so that isn’t the issue. I’ve read online about anti vibration tape but not sure where to put it...

jeberle23 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for where you can pick up one of these in Ireland? I emailed homecoffeemachines.ie and they weren't sure when they'd be back in stock. Would ideally like to keep it local if at all possible!

I got mine from EspressoCoffeeShop.com. They are based in Italy. They have mixed reviews online but I found them very good to deal with. Had to call them and email them on a few things and they were very responsive.

That Irish company had the V5 listed on their website when I was able to get the V6 from EspressoCoffeeShop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fitted an Auber PID last night. Working like a charm. Took about two hours, of which one hour was manipulation/installation. Mine is a V5e, with auto-shutoff so had to follow the slightly different instructions to tap the power off of the brew switch instead of the power switch. Mostly very intuitive, and only fiddly part was attaching the new RTD temperature sensor - should have just loosened the screw and slid out/slid in the new sensor.

Would like to eliminate the auto-shutoff and replace the toggle switch with the older v4 on/off switch, but unfortunately Brexit has impacted the availability of parts from the UK. Irish parts distributors are looking for €28 for the two replacement parts, where UK (www.theespressoshop.co.uk) and DE sites (which don't ship to Ireland) are looking for a far more reasonable €10. Anyone know of any Rancilio parts distributors that ship to Ireland at a more reasonable price?

Also, while the steaming process is not controlled by the PID, the suggestion in the PID documentation is that you should start the steaming process while the steaming mechanism is still heating. The steaming temperature light turns off at around 154'C, so presumably one would purge steam when it hits around 145'C and start steaming at around 150'C, which should keep the steam heating engaged. Sound about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

Irish parts distributors are looking for €28 for the two replacement parts, where UK (www.theespressoshop.co.uk) and DE sites (which don't ship to Ireland) are looking for a far more reasonable €10. Anyone know of any Rancilio parts distributors that ship to Ireland at a more reasonable price?

Did you try https://www.homecoffeemachines.ie ?
    I found them very helpful previously.

bergipau wrote: »
    Did you try https://www.homecoffeemachines.ie ?
    I found them very helpful previously.
    Yep. Unfortunately, they're charging 2x - 3x the price. I'd rather shop local, but it's too great a mark-up to justify. Thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Fitted an Auber PID last night. Working like a charm. Took about two hours, of which one hour was manipulation/installation. Mine is a V5e, with auto-shutoff so had to follow the slightly different instructions to tap the power off of the brew switch instead of the power switch. Mostly very intuitive, and only fiddly part was attaching the new RTD temperature sensor - should have just loosened the screw and slid out/slid in the new sensor.

Would like to eliminate the auto-shutoff and replace the toggle switch with the older v4 on/off switch, but unfortunately Brexit has impacted the availability of parts from the UK. Irish parts distributors are looking for €28 for the two replacement parts, where UK (www.theespressoshop.co.uk) and DE sites (which don't ship to Ireland) are looking for a far more reasonable €10. Anyone know of any Rancilio parts distributors that ship to Ireland at a more reasonable price?

Also, while the steaming process is not controlled by the PID, the suggestion in the PID documentation is that you should start the steaming process while the steaming mechanism is still heating. The steaming temperature light turns off at around 154'C, so presumably one would purge steam when it hits around 145'C and start steaming at around 150'C, which should keep the steam heating engaged. Sound about right?

theespressoshop.co.uk claim they are still shipping to Ireland. I've been in touch with them as think I might just replace the thermostats on the the Silvia I'm selling as I'll probably find a buyer easier. Will update you on whether I get the order fine.

donnacha wrote: »
    theespressoshop.co.uk claim they are still shipping to Ireland. I've been in touch with them as think I might just replace the thermostats on the the Silvia I'm selling as I'll probably find a buyer easier. Will update you on whether I get the order fine.

Cheers Donnacha. Slightly ahead of you as placed an order yesterday, despite their warning about not shipping products to the EU. I had ordered and received from them in early January, and despite a delay, received delivery in 10-14 days, so fingers crossed.

TBH: I'd wondered why you weren't going to fix up the machine before selling it, as it would definitely make for an easier sale, particularly with the overheating boiler and the Irish drama associated with exploding immersions! Looking at replacement parts recently, it seems the Silvia seems to be worth more broken up, than the sum of it's parts. A lot of hassle, but perhaps an interesting project for a student with time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Cheers Donnacha. Slightly ahead of you as placed an order yesterday, despite their warning about not shipping products to the EU. I had ordered and received from them in early January, and despite a delay, received delivery in 10-14 days, so fingers crossed.

TBH: I'd wondered why you weren't going to fix up the machine before selling it, as it would definitely make for an easier sale, particularly with the overheating boiler and the Irish drama associated with exploding immersions! Looking at replacement parts recently, it seems the Silvia seems to be worth more broken up, than the sum of it's parts. A lot of hassle, but perhaps an interesting project for a student with time on their hands.

My order arrived today. Pretty quick considering I only ordered on Thurs.

donnacha wrote: »
    My order arrived today. Pretty quick considering I only ordered on Thurs.
    Yeah cheers. Mine similarly arrived three days after submitting the order. I also picked up a new 58.5mm tamper, as the previous 58mm one (which came with my 2nd-hand Silvia) was really annoying me. Problem solved - better tamping and less channeling. Planning on fitting the two new (old!) switches this evening. Trying to follow the Google-translated instructions and circuit diagrams has been a little like decrypting hieroglyphics, but I think I have a handle on it now. I'm running out of lockdown projects though, so will need to start surreptitiously breaking stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Finally took the plunge on one of these tonight. I had toyed with the idea of a Sage Barista but from reading here, I'm hoping that the money is better spent on a dedicated machine and separate grinder. I also like the idea that the Rancilio has been around for a long time and reliability and build quality seems good.

It's going to be my first foray into the labyrinth of espresso making, sometimes I wonder when reading some of the posts about dialling in that there must be an element of masochism involved searching for the perfect shot! Looking forward to learning though, I've been all about the aeropress for the last 3/4 years and love it so I'm a total espresso noob from a home brewing point of view at least.

Picked up a Eureka silentio and scales as well as the Rancilio.

Now I have a Wilfa Svart grinder that is surplus to requirements, is there any forum for sales on here? Or just stick it on Done deal?!

Can anyone please enlighten me on what dose I should be using for the double basket on the standard portafilter for the Rancilio V6?

It seems to vary from 14 to 18 grammes depending on who you ask online. I've been using 16ish but have yet to brew a tasty espresso! Part of the problem (I think)is I've been using lighter roast beans and my current weekly coffee sub means I've been switching beans which is playing havoc with my dialling in!

Currently awaiting a kilo of Cloudpicker SAM to play with at the weekend so hoping to settle on a recipe that is drinkable!

I had never realized how tricky espresso is to get right! It's grand when make a cappuccino or latte cos the milk covers a multitude of sins. There's nowhere to hide with espresso though and my head is melted from reading blogs and looking at youtube videos!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Somewhere on my invoice it said 18g basket, but it’s actually 14g. If you google the code etched onto the basket you’ll get a list of them. I usually dose ~15g in mine. 18g doesn’t leave any headspace.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Can anyone please enlighten me on what dose I should be using for the double basket on the standard portafilter for the Rancilio V6?

It seems to vary from 14 to 18 grammes depending on who you ask online. I've been using 16ish but have yet to brew a tasty espresso! Part of the problem (I think)is I've been using lighter roast beans and my current weekly coffee sub means I've been switching beans which is playing havoc with my dialling in!

Currently awaiting a kilo of Cloudpicker SAM to play with at the weekend so hoping to settle on a recipe that is drinkable!

I had never realized how tricky espresso is to get right! It's grand when make a cappuccino or latte cos the milk covers a multitude of sins. There's nowhere to hide with espresso though and my head is melted from reading blogs and looking at youtube videos!

You should experiment, I think that is a 58mm portafilter so somewhere around 16-18g sounds right.

You also need to look at the ratio, so start at 2:1 so 18g ground coffee = 36g espresso.

Start with that and experiment from there. A higher ratio would generally bring out more of the flavours but lost some of the mouthfeel of the espresso.

I used to go 16g/25g but am now more 16g/32g.

Do some experimentation but as usual change just one thing at a time and keep everything else the same.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

masochism kicking in :pac:

This crowd in Kilcolgan ,Co. Galway do various things coffee

https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/
    Switches are €6.99

Maybe some draught excluder on the underside

Pop out the basket from the portafilter and there is a code on the basket. Google that and it will tell you the size. I have a V6 and its a 16g basket. I’m sure I could vary my dose a bit but I have always kept it constant and changed up the other variables - temperature, grind size, shot time.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    masochism kicking in :pac:

:pac:

Yeah for sure! Managing to get some more acceptable shots with the Cloudpicker SAM blend. Still amazes me how different two shots can be using the same recipe!

Great craic all the same, I find myself looking for excuses to make coffee when I really don't need or particularly want one.

Advertisement