Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age do you stop sessioning/going to bars?

Options

Comments

I can't dance and I'm not a good drunk so they were never the place for me.

It's fine once you don't care but in my early 20s those places were just pure poser ****e.

Now if the odd occasion I end up somewhere like that I'll have a few drinks and just make a tit of myself. I'm married with kids so what the **** do I care what people half my age think anymore!??

I used to absolutely love night clubs. The dancing, the booze, the men, all combined to give a feeling of wild abandon and promise. It was wonderful. The last time I was in a club was back in 2019 I think, The Workmans. I don't really consider that to be in the same category as the fake smokeyness, packed dance floor, and dodgy dj set though. That experience was probably back in 2016 in a club in the Midlands with my friend, the oldest two there.

Pre Covid I'd need a lot of booze to be in a packed space and thumping music. Right now however it would be amazing to be back in the middle of hundreds of people all moving to music. United in the sole pursuit of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I never understood why people would pay money to get into coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Stopped the heavy weekly sessions in my early thirties for health reasons and cut back to once a month, but since I'm pretty healthy and a lot more trim now I might get back into going out of a rare post-pandemic afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,226 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When you settle down and your partner doesn't allow you anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BirthdayStick

I’m in my early thirties but I’m looking forward to a post COVID blowout with thousands of other likeminded maskless people where the banter and music is the winner.... ahhhh... such a simpler time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭newhouse87

in my thirties, used to drink alot, now once a week, my problem is i dont tire when i drink, can easily start drinking at 1pm and be still drinking until6am, dont bother with the second days drinking anymore as im wrote off for a few days if i drink 2days in a row. Cant ever see me going home at a reasonable hour, house parties should have closing times too for people like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m not going to say my age but I can’t take any amount of alcohol anymore. From that point of view a session sounds like hell to me now because I would be dreadfully sick. I stopped going to regular nightclubs around 22 and stopped the sessions around 30.

That said I’d love to go to a festival some time soon. Nothing like a pint in the sunshine with good friends and not a care in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Marriage

And the threat of a belt of the rolling pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Hamachi

poisonated wrote: »

I always enjoyed it when hammered. I made the mistake of going once when pretty sober- never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

All up to the individual, but I don't think it really matters once your over 18. My godmother is in her 50s and loves a good night of dancing. Sure plenty of adults (who I respect greatly) still love and play Pokemon, so what's the harm in a few points and just letting loose? I don't think there's any.

I loved going out myself, obviously like most people I've not had one for well over a year now, but I'd love a good post-COVID session more than anything once it's completely safe for places like Coppers to reopen.

Pubs are good too. I loved being able to just sit for hours and talk about whatever the hell with good friends. Thankfully the house I just bought has a family-owned local just a 10 minute walk, so will be sure to get a few in there in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

But yeah, life is too short, honestly everyone should like what they like, we've seen how easily these simple pleasures (albeit for good health reasons as of now) can be taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I never enjoyed binge drinking so I stopped in my early 20's. Before the smoking ban I found bars and clubs unbearable. I decided to give it another shot in my late 20's but it wasn't much better. Only difference was I didn't smell like an ashtray afterwards.

The problem is that you're all assuming that clubs are similar to what you find in Ireland, except there are all manner of nightclubs catering to different tastes.

I'm in my 40s and I still go to a variety of clubs when I'm abroad. The Buddha house scene is rather good, since while it's a club, it's far more of a lounge experience, with minimal dancing, and the focus is more on networking/conversation. Or dating. What matters is what's the focus for the event. I enjoyed the Irish clubs when I was young, but quickly grew to dislike the heavy focus on drinking, and rather crappy dance sets.

As for bars, I have little interest in the "pub" scene (which tends to cover most Irish bars), but I do still enjoy cocktail bars, or live music bars. Typically, bars where the sole purpose isn't getting drunk, where the focus is, again, on networking/conversation and dating. Good single bars can be a lot of fun too.. the age group generally being in their 30s, and most with a decent income. Far less people getting drunk, few fights, and people are generally more friendly to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Haven't been to a club in over 15 years. When going out, especially when the days are longer, I prefer to take advantage of the longer days to do stuff, and would head out around 10pm for a nice meal, head to the pub around midnight and hang out there for a few hours, or occasionally until 5 or 6am and head to the fish market for the live music and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Hamachi wrote: »
    27/28 is still fairly young to hang up your boots. Most people I know kept the party going until they were 31/32. Still know a few people who go on regular sessions, even now in their late 30s.

i'm 43 and I love a heavy session. bar- late place - house.
    Only thing I'd stopped is pulling back on the 8am finishes as I got older prob 5am now.

don't do it too often now as I've other things on but every 6 weeks or so I'd get out on the lash. Can't see myself stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

go on the few pints

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Thats why I like to do my drinking during the day.

Start around 11am and in bed by 7pm.
    Up the next day bright and early + well rested.

Same here. It works out better as Aer Lingus has me piloting the short runs to Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The problem is that you're all assuming that clubs are similar to what you find in Ireland, except there are all manner of nightclubs catering to different tastes.

I'm in my 40s and I still go to a variety of clubs when I'm abroad. The Buddha house scene is rather good, since while it's a club, it's far more of a lounge experience, with minimal dancing, and the focus is more on networking/conversation. Or dating. What matters is what's the focus for the event. I enjoyed the Irish clubs when I was young, but quickly grew to dislike the heavy focus on drinking, and rather crappy dance sets.

As for bars, I have little interest in the "pub" scene (which tends to cover most Irish bars), but I do still enjoy cocktail bars, or live music bars. Typically, bars where the sole purpose isn't getting drunk, where the focus is, again, on networking/conversation and dating. Good single bars can be a lot of fun too.. the age group generally being in their 30s, and most with a decent income. Far less people getting drunk, few fights, and people are generally more friendly to each other.

Not one for the "had a great night, got sick and all" brigade so

Edgware wrote: »
    Not one for the "had a great night, got sick and all" brigade so

Nope. Got over that in my mid 20s. The financial cost, the blackouts, the injuries... nah. Incredibly over rated.

Although, it's probably worth mentioning that I've always been more of a stoner than a drinker. Went through the motions with drinking, because that was the culture, and pretty much the only way to release stress.. but while I enjoyed some nights, most were a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

newhouse87 wrote: »
    in my thirties, used to drink alot, now once a week, my problem is i dont tire when i drink, can easily start drinking at 1pm and be still drinking until6am, dont bother with the second days drinking anymore as im wrote off for a few days if i drink 2days in a row. Cant ever see me going home at a reasonable hour, house parties should have closing times too for people like me.

Find this fascinating....Why can some drink more than others? Why does it have more affect on others than some people, etc? I know there are physical reasons, etc but still find it fascinating....I’d be fairly drunk after 4/5 pints and can barely make it past 10:30....If I had a pint or 2 in the afternoon I’d probably take a nap...I’d notice a difference in myself after 2 pints....When I was younger I’d take shots and that would keep me going but results horrific - messy drunk, feel hungover for days...Generally once a week and 3-4 pints and that would be enough to be tipsy...If I required any type of brain matter the following day not a chance I’d touch a drink...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Life only ends when you die or get married.

Until then, enjoy yourself.

P. S. Agree with above. Partying till 6 in the morning is fairly normal for me (am in late 30's). Whether that's in a club or a house doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Find this fascinating....Why can some drink more than others? Why does it have more affect on others than some people, etc? I know there are physical reasons, etc but still find it fascinating....I’d be fairly drunk after 4/5 pints and can barely make it past 10:30....If I had a pint or 2 in the afternoon I’d probably take a nap...I’d notice a difference in myself after 2 pints....When I was younger I’d take shots and that would keep me going but results horrific - messy drunk, feel hungover for days...Generally once a week and 3-4 pints and that would be enough to be tipsy...If I required any type of brain matter the following day not a chance I’d touch a drink...

I know someone who was involved in medical research into just that.
    Turns out that a lot of people are actually allergic to alcohol.
    Some people get sick after only a few pints while others can drink 10.
    Thats the reason.

I haven't drank pints in ages but I used to always hit a wall after the 3rd pint. I'd get half way through the 4th and I'd just feel too full. So I'd have 2 or 3 pints and then start drinking vodka and red bull or something else.

Nope. Got over that in my mid 20s. The financial cost, the blackouts, the injuries... nah. Incredibly over rated.

Although, it's probably worth mentioning that I've always been more of a stoner than a drinker. Went through the motions with drinking, because that was the culture, and pretty much the only way to release stress.. but while I enjoyed some nights, most were a waste.
    I was the same. I've been out in other countries where I've only had a couple of drinks and ended up having a really good night. I don't know if I could say the same thing about drinking here. It just feels like there's certain milestones you have to reach before it can be considered a successful night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

T'was the auld man pub for me when I was about 22.

Never cared much for nightclubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Never hopefully.
    Went to see Laurent Garnier last year and it was great.

Crispy 🥓! What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

poisonated wrote: »

It happens.

Sometimes you don't even realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Stopped going to clubs in Ireland at about 25. Overpriced and pretty boring.

When abroad somewhere like Berlin for example I'd still go in though.

Mind you when all this covid lark is over I will most certainly be up for numerous club nights ANYWHERE by that stage.....

Any of ye going to this illegal rave on Paddy's day?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Never hopefully.
    Went to see Laurent Garnier last year and it was great.

Saw him at a festival in Sud Du France a few years ago. Nextfackinglevel.rar
    Serious transcendent set. It was like I was on drugs but I wasn't. Can't explain it.

Advertisement