Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmarked Car

Options
  • 01-03-2021 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Was waiting for my bus on the Neilstown Road. And a car pulled up at the bus stop and the passenger said who are you and what I was doing? I gave a fake name because I didn’t know who this was. I walked up closer and the driver was wearing a Garda vest and the passenger who shouted at me was wearing a t shirt and jeans. They then asked where I lived and admonished me for travelling outside 5km even though I can’t work from home. I produced my letter from my employer and said it was poorly written and asked why I gave a fake name and I said I didn’t know who it was until I walked up to the car. They gave me back my letter and drove off.

This is intimidation and entrapment of the highest order. I called Rowlagh Garda Station with the reg and they said it’s the drugs squad. And the Gardai wonder why they’re despised...
    More than likely this was a case of mistaken identity but I’m annoyed at this and nearly afraid to travel to work tomorrow. I have submitted a complaint to the Garda ombudsman is there any more steps I can take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Buy a chocolate bar and have a cup of tea and calm down.

The guard might have just been in a bad mood, no matter how much you follow it up it won't go anywhere because its not against any regulation for an Garda Siochana to use an unmarked squad car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

This is intimidation and entrapment of the highest order.

Its neither of those things.

Not trying to wind you up or be smart, but I wouldn't waste any time on it. Put it behind you and forget about it.

There is nothing to be achieved by following this up other than a lot of time on your part and most likely no outcome.

You had a mildly unpleasant interaction with the Gardai, that's all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

What the lads said, move on, most guards are fairly sound, you met someone having a bad day who possibly thought you were someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You’re being a bit dramatic OP.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,013 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Delighted to hear the gardai are doing their job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Detour.

The unmarked cars and the undercovers is a strange one

You're a mug if they're not real cops and in trouble if they are and you don't believe them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

By submitting a complaint to the ombudsman you have already wasted more than enough time on this than you should have.
    A thing of nothing, go to work tomorrow and forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Was waiting for my bus on the Neilstown Road. And a car pulled up at the bus stop and the passenger said who are you and what I was doing? I gave a fake name because I didn’t know who this was. I walked up closer and the driver was wearing a Garda vest and the passenger who shouted at me was wearing a t shirt and jeans. They then asked where I lived and admonished me for travelling outside 5km even though I can’t work from home. I produced my letter from my employer and said it was poorly written and asked why I gave a fake name and I said I didn’t know who it was until I walked up to the car. They gave me back my letter and drove off.

This is intimidation and entrapment of the highest order. I called Rowlagh Garda Station with the reg and they said it’s the drugs squad. And the Gardai wonder why they’re despised...
    More than likely this was a case of mistaken identity but I’m annoyed at this and nearly afraid to travel to work tomorrow. I have submitted a complaint to the Garda ombudsman is there any more steps I can take?

You could find yourself - in a bit of a bother over false name - you were fairly lively out of the traps there - have you had cause to use it before !
    I’m sure they were only doing their job
    Nothing to complain about here -
    This is only one side of the story. -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Detour.

Got pulled in by an unmarked over a minor issue

They were right behind me with the lights flashing on the front grille

Wasn't sure what to do, whether they were real or fake, who knows til u stop

Must be the same craic with undercovers flashing a badge , could be anything like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

Which we hear about all to often.

Vast majority of my (thankfully limited) dealings with the Gardai have been polite, some have been great.

But I've more than enough bad attitude for zero reason whatsoever, for them to lose my trust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Decemberist0

You could find yourself - in a bit of a bother over false name - you were fairly lively out of the traps there - have you had cause to use it before !
    I’m sure they were only doing their job
    Nothing to complain about here -

If a randomer shouts out a car at you would you give them your real name? Again I didn’t know who this was until walked over closer and they did not identify themselves properly. All I said was John which is my middle name. I don’t find it acceptable and they probably missed some actual criminals by prioritising being arseholes to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Detour. wrote: »
    The unmarked cars and the undercovers is a strange one

You're a mug if they're not real cops and in trouble if they are and you don't believe them

aye it a bit of a thin line ,

I d be inclined to ask for id off them , that shouldn't be a huge problem , also inclined not to give a false name but at the same you do hear of scumbags and nutters impersonating cops

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/investigation-underway-after-man-impersonating-garda-attempts-to-pull-over-undercover-officers-39118103.html

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/606134/warning-issued-after-man-impersonating-a-garda-tried-to-enter-midlands-home.html

I see on the isnta there was a big mad chase up that way today , anything to do with that I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

Seriously

wush06 wrote: »
    Seriously

I wouldn’t feel comfortable after being questioned for waiting at a bus stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

you are aware of the hundreds of checkpoints that thousands of gardai have had up in the last year or so stopping and questioning every single person though right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

You have your letter for work, what are you afraid of?

mynamejeff wrote: »
    you are aware of the hundreds of checkpoints that thousands of gardai have had up in the last year or so stopping and questioning every single person though right ?

Yes but this was an unmarked car and the passenger was not wearing a uniform nor did they identify themselves. It was probably mistaken identity but they were horrible and wasted time when they probably missed out on a serious crime being committed.

Esse85 wrote: »
    You have your letter for work, what are you afraid of?

Just having to go through that **** again. Afraid was probably a dramatic word but I don’t want to go through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭billyhead

Are you being sarcastic? The Gardai are just trying to do a tough job. God help us people get upset over rubbish like this i.e basic questioning. It's not as if there using force to put people in the back of an unmarked car.

Yes but this was an unmarked car and the passenger was not wearing a uniform nor did they identify themselves. It was probably mistaken identity but they were horrible and wasted time when they probably missed out on a serious crime being committed.

What I would do to avoid this scenario going forward is go back to your employer and ask them to use the generic IDA template which was sent out last year for employers to use for their essential workers.

I would also ask you to note that the Garda is just doing his job, same as you are. We're all in this almost twin peaks situation in which stuff that would seem unbelievable 12 months ago is now happening.

The best way often to ameliorate a situation when someone is being rude is just to be polite back. 👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

billyhead wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic? The Gardai are just trying to do a tough job. God help us people get upset over rubbish like this i.e basic questioning. It's not as if there using force to put people in the back of an unmarked car.

Doing a job which is at times difficult, is not an excuse for behaving wholly unprofessionally. I would be sacked in no time if I treated a customer in my workplace with that kind of disdain.

Perhaps not everyone in the world has your level of confidence when dealing with authority figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

kirving wrote: »
    Doing a job which is at times difficult, is not an excuse for behaving wholly unprofessionally. I would be sacked in no time if I treated a customer in my workplace with that kind of disdain.

Perhaps not everyone in the world has your level of confidence when dealing with authority figures.

Look maybe you do, but most people in customer facing roles wouldn't be dealing with the type of scumbags the guards deal with on a daily basis and certainly not to the same level of involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

This is what goes on in a police state where the security forces can harass citizens going about their daily lives. The 5km rule regulations are being abused by the Gardaí in this instance as a pretext to interrogate you.

Mod
    Relax. This is not a police state. AGS just doing their job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Piollaire wrote: »
    This is what goes on in a police state where the security forces can harass citizens going about their daily lives. The 5km rule regulations are being abused by the Gardaí in this instance as a pretext to interrogate you.

Gemma, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's normal procedure for a plain clothes members of AGS to identify themselves when interacting with the public.

OP you might find this useful.

https://www.policingauthority.ie/assets/uploads/documents/Code-of-Ethics-for-the-Garda-Sochna_1.pdf

Tzardine wrote: »
    Gemma, is that you?

Ha! John Waters actually!

No conspiracy theories on this website as far as I know:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/arrests/questioning_and_surveillance.html

Don't see anything about sitting at bus stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dublinensis

kirving wrote: »

Lucky for the guards that the job of being a policeman is not a profession, so.

I (half) joke. Still, while I don't intend to make excuses for rudeness, it's obviously of more significance to a private employer with a financial interest in repeat custom than to a public body without one.

Ah come on, there's no conspiracy like if you're keeping to the rules there is no issue.

People are making that the Gardaí are like the fecking Stasi. Asking where you are going is not an interrogation...

People are making that the Gardaí are like the fecking Stasi. Asking where you are going is not an interrogation...

You're right they are not the Stasi, but they need to be kept in check.

Ok instead of interrogating I will say demanding information from you.

• Advertisement

You're right they are not the Stasi, but they need to be kept in check.

Ok instead of interrogating I will say demanding information from you.

What problem do you have with telling them where you are going ?

Advertisement