Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points on a learner permit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The op is learning drive, learning to drive and will make mistakes, would have thought pulled over and warning to take more care next time would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Just observing this one and it does seem harsh on the explanation given by the OP ... I did have a thought though, do Garda cars have dashcams fitted and if so, can they be used in court - by either party?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Just observing this one and it does seem harsh on the explanation given by the OP ... I did have a thought though, do Garda cars have dashcams fitted and if so, can they be used in court - by either party?

I was thinking this myself and wondering could I request to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I was thinking this myself and wondering could I request to see it.

Very few have anpr, so I'd be doubtful if they are all fitted with dash cams
    I think 50 were trialled in traffic Corp cars in 2005ish don't know what came of that.

I'm genuinely curious though what is she citing you with.

Was it a minor road to a major road with either a yield sign or line op?

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Very few have anpr, so I'd be doubtful if they are all fitted with dash cams
    I think 50 were trialled in traffic Corp cars in 2005ish don't know what came of that.

I'm genuinely curious though what is she citing you with.

Was it a minor road to a major road with either a yield sign or line op?

Yes it was a minor road to a major road but there was no line or yield sign, it was a country side road. Either way I stopped and drive out when I could see the car was a safe distance. Lesson learned I wont do it again but now im confused, what if a road is very busy, do I wait for a break in the traffic when I know cars are a safe distance or do I have to sit in a side road for hours until the road is completely clear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

im confused, what if a road is very busy, do I wait for a break in the traffic when I know cars are a safe distance or do I have to sit in a side road for hours until the road is completely clear?

That all depends on how fast the traffic is moving on the road you're joining and how far down the road you can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yes it was a minor road to a major road but there was no line or yield sign, it was a country side road. Either way I stopped and drive out when I could see the car was a safe distance. Lesson learned I wont do it again but now im confused, what if a road is very busy, do I wait for a break in the traffic when I know cars are a safe distance or do I have to sit in a side road for hours until the road is completely clear?

Yes, you wait for a break in traffic so you can pull out and be up to speed by time they get to you....what is reasonable here will vary from person to person but I'd say if you can get out ahead of them so they don't have to brake to stay safe distance behind you its reasonable.

Of course you have to take into account someone may be over speed limit and that may not be obvious until they are close, but you can't control others really.

Also, knowing your car helps here. Some cars can get up to speed very easily and quickly where less powerful ones, the likes of which learners frequently drive, take longer and more planning required.

newmember? wrote: »
    That all depends on how fast the traffic is moving on the road you're joining and how far down the road you can see.

Essentially this if you can see a car on the road legally you have to yield right of way to it.
    Now does everyone do that no, but technically we are all obliged to.
    If you do it in a test and get an arsey tester they'll fail you for it or give you a mark 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Guarantee the OP did a handbrake skid with their arm out the window and nearly crashed into the Garda car.

Guarantee the OP did a handbrake skid with their arm out the window and nearly crashed into the Garda car.

Guarantee I definitely didn't do anything close to this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Maybe ring the station and ask if the garda who pulled you over could explain exactly what the issue was? Because if its as you say then the points are harsh considering you're a learner with someone licensed beside you

Maybe ring the station and ask if the garda who pulled you over could explain exactly what the issue was? Because if its as you say then the points are harsh considering you're a learner with someone licensed beside you

To be fair they were stopping cyclists down the road so may just be one of those guards.

Thanks, yes I would like to speak to someone about it but im a nervous speaker, as mentioned I have an anxiety disorder and it makes it hard for me to speak out under pressure. I literally freeze and cant get my words out, im on medication for it and it helps with taking panic attacks but I still find day to day stuff & confrontation difficult. The guard had such a bad attitude, felt like I was being scolded like a child.

To be fair they were stopping cyclists down the road so may just be one of those guards.

A garda who enforces the rules of the road? Heavens above!

Thanks, yes I would like to speak to someone about it but im a nervous speaker, as mentioned I have an anxiety disorder and it makes it hard for me to speak out under pressure. I literally freeze and cant get my words out, im on medication for it and it helps with taking panic attacks but I still find day to day stuff & confrontation difficult. The guard had such a bad attitude, felt like I was being scolded like a child.

It's hard but I'd say give it a go maybe bring a family member or friend with you incase you freeze up.
    There's only a small amount of offences that carry 3 points and an €80 fine

A garda who enforces the rules of the road? Heavens above!

Garda have discretion for a reason and often educating new motorists serves much better than penalising them for honest mistakes where no incidents or damage results from naivety and inexperience.
    We also don't know what they pulled the cyclists for, so take your sarcasm bundle it up and throw it in the direction of someone that cares.

It's hard but I'd say give it a go maybe bring a family member or friend with you incase you freeze up.
    There's only a small amount of offences that carry 3 points and an €80 fine

Are they often serious offences? 3 points seems like a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭delboythedub

Can anyone give advice please?
    I was driving today from a country road onto a main road from a junction. There was no other cars on the road besides an unmarked garda car that was far away from me as I was turning onto the road. The guards pulled me over and said I drove out in front of them and said i'll get a fine and penalty points on my license and the fine is doubled because im a learner, I was easily able to pull out and drive before they caught up with me so no chance of me being to close to them before I pulled out. I had a full license driver with me in the car.
    How many points am I looking at and can I repeal this? Also, how will this effect my insurance? It already costs me nearly 2k because im a learner.

Thanks
    Fit a Dash Cam

Garda have discretion for a reason and often educating new motorists serves much better than penalising them for honest mistakes where no incidents or damage results from naivety and inexperience.
    We also don't know what they pulled the cyclists for, so take your sarcasm bundle it up and throw it in the direction of someone that cares.

Exactly, so why come out with a comment like this?...

Are you seeing the irony here at all?

Are they often serious offences? 3 points seems like a lot.

Parking in a dangerous position
    Dangerous overtaking
    Failure to stop before a stop sign/line
    Failure to yield at a sign/line
    Crossing continious white line
    Failure to obey lights
    Failure to leave sufficient distance between you and car in front
    Speeding

As far as I remember, there could potentially be others I'm forgetting. I'm fairly sure if you do challenge them and are subsequently convicted of the offence they jump to 5 points.

• Advertisement

Because there aren't as many reasons to stop cyclists as motorists I'd highly doubt that the cyclist was speeding. I'd also doubt their motor tax or nct was out of date.
    Most cyclists are left be, especially on rural roads bar acting the complete maggot.
    For all we know they could of been two abreast and the guard just couldn't overtake. They also could of done something dangerous, who knows. Point still stands cyclists being stopped in rural Ireland is incredibly rare.

There are plenty of arsey guards who look for any excuse to pull people, there are plenty of sound ones who use their discretion in situations where it is warranted.

To be fair the guard I spoke to today was like a little bully, she spoke down to me and wouldnt answer the passenger in my car. She had a really nasty attitude, theres ways of saying things and ways of behaving, if I had spoken to her like that it would have resulted in a confrontation.
    To give penalty points and a double fine to learner driver for a mistake who caused no damage and no other laws broken, it is very harsh.

Ive never had any run ins with the guards in my life but today gave me a totally different opinion of them. It really was like they were on a power trip and had nothing better to do with their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭con747

Maybe a 5km rule might have a large part of cyclists being pulled over.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Parking in a dangerous position
    Dangerous overtaking
    Failure to stop before a stop sign/line
    Failure to yield at a sign/line
    Crossing continious white line
    Failure to obey lights
    Failure to leave sufficient distance between you and car in front
    Speeding

As far as I remember, there could potentially be others I'm forgetting. I'm fairly sure if you do challenge them and are subsequently convicted of the offence they jump to 5 points.

Thanks, I cant see were I did any of these? So dont know why im getting 3 points and a double fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

One side of the story and all that.

To play the cynic, of course the OP is going to make it sound like everything they did was roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

To be fair the guard I spoke to today was like a little bully, she spoke down to me and wouldnt answer the passenger in my car. She had a really nasty attitude, theres ways of saying things and ways of behaving, if I had spoken to her like that it would have resulted in a confrontation.
    To give penalty points and a double fine to learner driver for a mistake who caused no damage and no other laws broken, it is very harsh.

Ive never had any run ins with the guards in my life but today gave me a totally different opinion of them. It really was like they were on a power trip and had nothing better to do with their time.

I think you should ring and just do your best asking for an explanation. Even if you have to tell them nevermind and hang up you won't be any worse off and you might find out. And the guard may end up saying just do a few more lessons and forget about it...

Thanks, I cant see were I did any of these? So dont know why im getting 3 points and a double fine.

I would assume failure to yield.
    If there is no sign and no visible line but you are entering from a road of minor importance to a main road with visible moving traffic on the main road it would be considered to be failure to yield.

callaway92 wrote: »
    One side of the story and all that.

To play the cynic, of course the OP is going to make it sound like everything they did was roses.

100% which is why I'd be inclined to say its a failure to yield to the guard on the main road. Like I said they would technically be correct and well within their scope to do the op for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Because there aren't as many reasons to stop cyclists as motorists I'd highly doubt that the cyclist was speeding. I'd also doubt their motor tax or nct was out of date.
    Most cyclists are left be, especially on rural roads bar acting the complete maggot.
    For all we know they could of been two abreast and the guard just couldn't overtake. They also could of done something dangerous, who knows. Point still stands cyclists being stopped in rural Ireland is incredibly rare.

There are plenty of arsey guards who look for any excuse to pull people, there are plenty of sound ones who use their discretion in situations where it is warranted.

I didn't think this was an offence? A cyclist is entitled to cycle anywhere on their carriageway/side of the road. No obligation to keep left beside the verge/kerb...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I wonder how a fair judge would see this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement