Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Nest Hub - €58.53 (exp 9 Mar 2021 at 4:00 pm)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

These are quality! There were comments on here about it being the best new tech people had bought in years, I tend to agree. The best thing about it is the photo frame - it connects to google photos and automatically rotates photos. Bought one for the grandparents for Christmas, they love being able to listen to Spotify on it in their kitchen...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I got one about 6 months ago. It's pretty good. The interface isn't very intuitive compared to a tablet IMO, and the sounds isn't as good as the Nest Mini, but it's a decent screen and the price is right if you want a voice-activated screen somewhere in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Good find OP I've 3 of the speakers in the house, living room, bedroom and the big one in the dining room, it's great for setting timers and listening to the radio but I don't know what a screen would be useful for

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Good find OP I've 3 of the speakers in the house, living room, bedroom and the big one in the dining room, it's great for setting timers and listening to the radio but I don't know what a screen would be useful for

I've speakers in a number of rooms too but have a hub in the livingroom and the kitchen. In the livingroom it's set to display the nest cameras on screen. In the kitchen we use it for youtube recipes, streaming from netflix, displaying the clock or nest thermometer information, weather forecast etc. Definitely helps to keep the kids entertained at times too.

Out of all of the uses above, the one we find the most beneficial is the ability to have our nest cameras streaming live.

They're an absolute bargain at this price.

D.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

YouTube, Disney Plus and Netflix can all play on it.

Handy in kitchen or beside bed i find.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I got one about 6 months ago. It's pretty good. The interface isn't very intuitive compared to a tablet IMO, and the sounds isn't as good as the Nest Mini, but it's a decent screen and the price is right if you want a voice-activated screen somewhere in the house.

Got a nest mini in the kitchen, which this will replace. Sound doesn't matter, as Google allows you to pick a speaker to output music etc on for your Google home devices. My kitchen nest mini outputs to my Chromecast audio in the kitchen which plays on some old hi-fi speakers above the cabinets.

Easy weather preview and recipes in the kitchen will be nice. Photo slideshow will be pretty neat too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Good find OP. Been looking at these for a while. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

Have one of these in the kitchen, it's great and gets loads of use. Just bought another one, will have to work out where I'm putting it, good spot thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I reckon there will be a few sales of these as Google are working on a refresh using Soli.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

As well as the nest cameras, it works very well with the nest doorbell.

When the doorbell is pressed, it displays the camera and some options on the touch screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

Sorry this is a daft question but does it work with other third party internal cameras. I was going to buy an Echo show 8 but maybe this might be better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Ush1 wrote: »
    I reckon there will be a few sales of these as Google are working on a refresh using Soli.

Some rumours

https://9to5google.com/2021/02/26/new-google-nest-hub/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

moonboy52 wrote: »

Don't really like the sound of this Soli sleep tracking radar thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

capefear wrote: »
    Sorry this is a daft question but does it work with other third party internal cameras. I was going to buy an Echo show 8 but maybe this might be better option.

It does, you need to check if they are compatible with Google. I use some Nest camera's and some from TP Link.

long_b wrote: »
    Don't really like the sound of this Soli sleep tracking radar thingy.

Not to de-rail the bargain. And it is a bargain for sure.

I use my Fitbit for sleep tracking, but if Soli could someway make sleep tracking with Fitbit (now a Google product) more accurate, i could see it being a selling point (possibly)

If it just ties into Google Fit maybe less so

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Do i need google wifi to connect the Google nest hub or will it connect to my existing wifi router?

eoin.d wrote: »
    Do i need google wifi to connect the Google nest hub or will it connect to my existing wifi router?

Your existing will suffice Eoin

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

capefear wrote: »

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9137164?hl=en#zippy=%2Ccompatible-security-cameras

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Your existing will suffice Eoin

Thanks for that. So i won't be missing out on anything not having Google wifi

Thanks for that. So i won't be missing out on anything not having Google wifi

In short, no as far as i know, Eoin.

Does Google WiFi and the like provide a mesh network, which to my limited knowledge aids WiFi?

Not sure, but as far as streaming, Kodi, Plex, Spotify and Youtube Music etc, your own WiFi will suffice. You can buy an Ethernet (wired) adapter for this device if your WiFi is not the best

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Cheers OP. I didn't necessarily need it, but ordered one anyway! :D

It'll be a handy device in the kitchen, I think.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

byte wrote: »
    Cheers OP. I didn't necessarily need it, but ordered one anyway! :D

It'll be a handy device in the kitchen, I think.

Same here, didn't need it but it might pass a bit of time in the kitchen making the dinner.

Shame I can't look at my Ring doorbell on it, would be very handy if I could.

Do you get hit with extra charges or taxes ordering from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lucan123

Do you get hit with extra charges or taxes ordering from here?

No - my invoice had Barrow St Dublin, but it came by DHL Express from Eindhoven in the Netherlands. No charges or taxes and free delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have one of these and a number of Google Minis around the house. The speaker quality on the Nest Hub isn't as good as the Google Mini in my experience. Just putting it out there if you are buying one to use as a music speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

A new one with a Camera is due out soon?

Mind you it only works with Google Duo but still handy nonetheless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

A new one with a Camera is due out soon?

Mind you it only works with Google Duo but still handy nonetheless.

The hub max (with camera) atill isn't avaliable here what must be 2 years after it was released....apart from Dixon at the airport. Wonder if the next one will be.

Would've to know why its not sold in Ireland (saw one on Currys once with a ridiculous price tag, was nearly a grand or something in reality it wasn't avaliable for sale. Especially as their invoice address is Google Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

My parents listen to local radio only (Galway bay fm) but it often doesn’t work due to reception I think?! Would this be a good option for them as I can get that station on tunein app?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

clairek6 wrote: »
    My parents listen to local radio only (Galway bay fm) but it often doesn’t work due to reception I think?! Would this be a good option for them as I can get that station on tunein app?

Yep. Then again any smart speaker would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭d.lally2

Does anyone know if you were plugging this out and moving it from room to room periodically does it connect to WiFi, etc automatically or do you have to essentially set it up again?

Advertisement