Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering in my patio ideas wanted

Options
  • 06-02-2021 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭

I am going to stick this in here because it is part of my garden looking for a kind of a closed in pergola type structure over my patio area so I could leave out furniture and barbecue all year round, I have a small gazebo already but this planned structure would be onto back of house outside patio doors. I was thinking of building a pergola type structure and covering it with pvc sheets of some sort but think it's not going to look great. Anyone has anything nice built and can share a few pictures much appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

We got an awning; it winds down to screen off rain or too-hot sun, and can be wound back against the house wall when not in use.

It works by electricity, from a remote.

Have it ten years, it hasn't failed yet though the edge trimming has got a bit stained.

We got ours from Tulip Awnings; quite expensive but has proved its value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Day Lewin wrote: »
    We got an awning; it winds down to screen off rain or too-hot sun, and can be wound back against the house wall when not in use.

Have it ten years, it hasn't failed yet though the edge trimming has got a bit stained.

Ya was thinking of an awning only problem with it you couldn't really leave it out for winter and I would still have to store away patio furniture and barbecue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭rje66

There was a thread on here a while back, see if uou can find it. May be helpful. Heres one I did, is this what you are thinking

rje66 wrote: »
    There was a thread on here a while back, see if uou can find it. May be helpful. Heres one I did, is this what you are thinking
    That's exactly what I was thinking is that glass on the roof.

Yes, think its 10mm toughened. Its heavy and not cheap. So factor this into your plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Fair play on a sound job, but 10mm glass? It will be there long after the house has fallen down!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

kerryjack wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was thinking is that glass on the roof.

You could go for polycarbonate panels. They are lighter weight and probably not as expensive as glass. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

That is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Wow. That's an amazing job. Did you do that yourself. I priced last summer something similar and price was ridiculous. Was thinking of DIYing it.

Faze11 wrote: »
    Wow. That's an amazing job. Did you do that yourself. I priced last summer something similar and price was ridiculous. Was thinking of DIYing it.

Yes. Its possible to do as a diy project. Im not a carpenter but have decent woodwork skills. Main thing is plan it out first in detail and build to this plan. Also decent tools help too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Yes. Its possible to do as a diy project. Im not a carpenter but have decent woodwork skills. Main thing is plan it out first in detail and build to this plan. Also decent tools help too.

Would be really proud of that. Great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

You can get rid of the green edge stains by the application of Patio Magic, or any similar product containing Benzalkonium Chloride.
    It's also good for keeping green algae off the polycarbonate sheets which are the best thing for the roof on a timber framed pergola-type structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Nice . Very tidy job..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

How weather durable is the awning? Does it just provide shade or can it be used in light rain/breeze?We want to install some sort of cover in a side patio area. We were going to go with an awning but between Brexit making them really expensive now and not really knowing how it would fair in Irish weather we are going back to thinking something like what rje66 has done but without the walls. It's an area that we plan to use for BBQs/pizza oven most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭HBC08

scarepanda wrote: »
    How weather durable is the awning? Does it just provide shade or can it be used in light rain/breeze?We want to install some sort of cover in a side patio area. We were going to go with an awning but between Brexit making them really expensive now and not really knowing how it would fair in Irish weather we are going back to thinking something like what rje66 has done but without the walls. It's an area that we plan to use for BBQs/pizza oven most of the year.

I'm looking at an awning for something similar.I was looking at the ones in the UK but they have gone up in price as you say with Brexit and some of them wont even deliver to Ireland anymore.
    I can't find similar ones in Ireland, there only seem to be the high end ones here.I have one priced, electric,fully fitted,remote control €2500.
    Definitely a good chuck of change to spend on something I was pricing on UK sites for €500 (albeit much more basic ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭elperello

For these type of structures it is important to identify the prevailing wind on your site.

Rain will be driven in by the wind so you will need to allow for some sort of siding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

It definitely is a fair chunk of money, especially compared to price a few months ago plus the cost difference between it and actually installing a permanent type structure.

We were looking at 'canopy' kits during the week. Similar kind of money. We're now thinking more of doing a DIY job from timber, but time, skills and tools would be an issue. Our other option it to contact a local lad for a price to make up a frame with box steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭listermint

HBC08 wrote: »
    I'm looking at an awning for something similar.I was looking at the ones in the UK but they have gone up in price as you say with Brexit and some of them wont even deliver to Ireland anymore.
    I can't find similar ones in Ireland, there only seem to be the high end ones here.I have one priced, electric,fully fitted,remote control €2500.
    Definitely a good chuck of change to spend on something I was pricing on UK sites for €500 (albeit much more basic ones)

https://www.vidaxl.ie/e/8718475703129/vidaxl-awning-top-sunshade-canvas-anthracite-400x300-cm

Also look at France and Dutch sites for awnings.

Toile D'auvent.

You might find better deals.

listermint wrote: »
    https://www.vidaxl.ie/e/8718475703129/vidaxl-awning-top-sunshade-canvas-anthracite-400x300-cm

Toile D'auvent.

That's to the above poster ive found pretty much the same awning for €800,the positive power of boards!
    I wonder how difficult it would be to get it installed?
    It has to be fitted,connected to to power etc,I think there's a good bit involved?

Having done a bit of research on that site I don't think I could trust them.
    Looks like I'm back to spending the 2 and a half grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

listermint wrote: »

Toile D'auvent.

You get what you pay for with them... Not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 michaeljh1965

If you do it yourself, make correct drawings. Because every inch counts here.
    When you realize your dream - show us a photo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

I built one onto my shed ( I extended the shed to put in a man cave:D)
    used clearlight for the roof,
    1 wall block ( the shed)
    1 wall block half way up garden wall) i put more clearlight to fill up that side.
    other 2 sides I got puc curtains made up by https://www.irelandacanvasproducts.com/
    on the other 2 sides.
    I just need to sort heaters now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭skilachi

How big was the curtain and how much? If you don't mind me asking.

I made up 3 curtains in total.
    1 2.25 mts long which goes from the wall to the middle pole.
    2. middle pole around end pole to middle of next size so about 4.5 mts
    3 2 mts

cant remember exact cost was around 300 for the lot. harry is super helpful and they are made to measure.

jem wrote: »
    I built one onto my shed ( I extended the shed to put in a man cave:D)
    used clearlight for the roof,
    1 wall block ( the shed)
    1 wall block half way up garden wall) i put more clearlight to fill up that side.
    other 2 sides I got puc curtains made up by https://www.irelandacanvasproducts.com/
    on the other 2 sides.
    I just need to sort heaters now.
    Nice job curtains look great and might get later on,I was looking at these clear light sheets I can get them for 80 quid for 6 by 4 sheets, I would need 6 for roof any one get them cheaper than that.

I would advise you to cover the sides if you intend using it much as the wind does change direction and you and the furniture will get wet

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Quite a few posts on pergolas on the DIY forum. I recently constructed a lean-to
    /car port type structure onto entire side of house. 3.5m wide x 11m long in total - 8m with solid timber roof with rubber covering and 3m with 6mm clear polycarbonate roof on timber rafters, not unlike a pergola I guess. For me, the solid poly was a cheaper alternative to glass and much easier to fix. I'm not keen on the multi-wall polycarbonate, just mainly because of the look. We wanted it to be totally clear like glass. The area is a gym /games room for kids. Some condensation issues over winter but that is to be expected. Got roll down ends made by cunninghamcovers, not cheap but bespoke in any design or colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

DIY KING wrote: »
    Quite a few posts on pergolas on the DIY forum. I recently constructed a lean-to
    /car port type structure onto entire side of house. 3.5m wide x 11m long in total - 8m with solid timber roof with rubber covering and 3m with 6mm clear polycarbonate roof on timber rafters, not unlike a pergola I guess. For me, the solid poly was a cheaper alternative to glass and much easier to fix. I'm not keen on the multi-wall polycarbonate, just mainly because of the look. We wanted it to be totally clear like glass. The area is a gym /games room for kids. Some condensation issues over winter but that is to be expected. Got roll down ends made by cunninghamcovers, not cheap but bespoke in any design or colour.

Looking to do similar size myself, question on the 6mm poly, rough idea of how much is it per sheet, how did you make the joins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

€250 + vat per sheet for 6mm thick 3050mm x 2050mm UV both sides from Print Solutions Dublin.
    I needed 2 sheets roof area - 3m long x 3.9m wide.
    I made my roof length to suit the sheet size ie 3m long. I fitted black pvc angles to weather over adjoining roof at one end and cladded wall at other end.
    I came up with an overlap detail down along the centre where one sheet overlapped the other with a gap in-between. Didn't want to introduce glazing cappings across the roof as it would create ponding. Not by the book but did the job for me.
    Send me a pm with more queries if you like and I can get some photos.

Advertisement