Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

This quoting people at random is great fun.

Paul Kurtz, the secular humanist and author:

UFO mythology is similar to the message of the classical religions where God sends his Angels as emissaries who offer salvation to those who accept the faith and obey his Prophets. Today, the chariots of the gods are UFOs. What we are witnessing in the past half century is the spawning of a New Age religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,662 ✭✭✭✭maccored

funny how most people I know who claim to have had a UFO experience arent religious in the slightest

maccored wrote: »
    funny how most people I know who claim to have had a UFO experience arent religious in the slightest

But they are you know, they just found a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

steddyeddy wrote: »

Out of interest what potential explanations are there for the USS Nimitz encounter?

There’s a few “listed” on the Wikipedia article for that event.

If I had to put money on any outcome of what had occurred I wouldn’t be putting a euro on it being alien “visitors” from the far side of the galaxy.

But that’s just me.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

.....and me.

• Advertisement

Oh, and btw.

Funny how all of the people that I know have never claimed to have had a UFO 'experience' - whatever the fúck that's supposed to be.

Is it a bit like praying and hoping that something or someone out there is looking down on us, like God perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

COVID wrote: »
    Oh, and btw.

Funny how all of the people that I know have never claimed to have had a UFO 'experience' - whatever the fúck that's supposed to be.

Is it a bit like praying and hoping that something or someone out there is looking down on us, like God perhaps?

lots of people havent, a lot of people have, 5-10% which cannot be explained after thorough investigation

bangkok wrote: »
    lots of people havent, a lot of people have, 5-10% which cannot be explained after thorough investigation

I bet it cannot be explained! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

There’s a few “listed” on the Wikipedia article for that event.

If I had to put money on any outcome of what had occurred I wouldn’t be putting a euro on it being alien “visitors” from the far side of the galaxy.

But that’s just me.

Based on your Wiki research.

Andrew Abeyta, assistant professor of psychology at North Dakota State University.

“Religion is a really robust source of meaning in life. It gives us a sense of purpose. We feel important. It feels like our lives are planned, that they’re purposefully designed,” says Abeyta. “And when we reject religion, what we argue is that need to explain, that need to find purpose, that desire to feel important and meaningfulness doesn’t go away.

“People who tend to report a stronger belief in UFO conspiracies and little green men and things like that, tend to also report a higher sense of meaning in life. They want to go somewhere else to help restore that meaning. So it’s sort of like we’re trying to capture this compensatory process.”

You're conflating conspiracies with observations. I'm referring to observations, videos and radar data. Unless you're telling me radars are religious.

• Advertisement

Oh, and btw.

so what? Still trying to tie ufos to religion just because you quoted someone who hinted at it? I havent met any UFO experiencing religious people yet - but thats because you havent met anyone who claims to have had a ufo experience .... weird idea that one. Its nothing like praying to god - how the **** did you come to that conclusion? Is it because you never met anyone who's had a ufo experience?
    whatever the fúck that's supposed to be
    anyone who thinks theyve seen an unidentified flying object. Not that hard to understand.

Oh, and btw.

No offence but you don't expect them to tell you if they did? You'd tell someone who would handle their claim with maturity.

I bet it cannot be explained! :)

i presume you have heard about J.Allen Hynek?

You're conflating conspiracies with observations. I'm referring to observations, videos and radar data. Unless you're telling me radars are religious.

No, I think you're telling me that radars are not religious.

Thanks for that.

so what? Still trying to tie ufos to religion just because you quoted someone who hinted at it? I havent met any UFO experiencing religious people yet - but thats because you havent met anyone who claims to have had a ufo experience .... weird idea that one. Its nothing like praying to god - how the **** did you come to that conclusion? Is it because you never met anyone who's had a ufo experience?

Also it only works for systems of belief. Not evidence such as FLIR videos and radar data. These videos from the Nimitz encounter are interesting to say the least. Conspiracy theory doesn't account for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

The UFO thing is mainly floated by the powers that be to keep people trapped in the current paradigm.

bangkok wrote: »
    i presume you have heard about J.Allen Hynek?

You're free to presume of course.

You're free to presume of course.

you're free to talk to try your best winding people up and very much welcome to be as cynical as you wish.

The UFO thing is mainly floated by the powers that be to keep people trapped in the current paradigm.

i wouldnt doubt there is that to a certain degree

There's definitely misinformation. These types of stories are good cover for testing secret aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Conspiracy theory doesn't account for them.

Earth is hit by pieces of flying debris all the time, thats exactly what that video looks like to me. I believe 100% that there is other life out there, its just too vast with too many galaxies not to have life somewhere. Do I believe we've ever been visited, possible for sure but I have never seen anything that convinced me that we have. The problem is the size of the universe, not only do you have to find life they have to be advanced enough to travel astronomically long distances, there are a lot of variables that have to align i.e their advancement, the distance they need to travel and the timing.

anyone who thinks theyve seen an unidentified flying object. Not that hard to understand.

Seeing an object in the sky, which is not immediately recognisable or identifiable, is normal for normal people. It means diddlysquat.

Some would like to infuse such a sighting with an outer-worldly import. Or even believe that they themselves are somehow 'special' for seeing such a thing.

However, most of us just move on without thinking to bore rigid the next person we meet with the phantasmagorical story of our quasi-religious experience and how meaningful it all was.

you're free to talk to try your best winding people up and very much welcome to be as cynical as you wish.

You might say 'cynical'; it's a favoured word of religious people for non-believers.

I would prefer to think of myself as slightly less credulous than you, obviously.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Based on your Wiki research.

Research, come on. Listen, bub, you asked for potential explanations so, as I’m not “au fait” with the latest UFO encounters, I checked the Wikipedia article on the “case”. I’m hardly going to go to some Fortean site where the only potential explanation is aliens.

Frankly, I’m starting to question your scientific integrity if you, persistently, dismiss any dissenting voice that doesn’t fully back the idea that these unexplained events are alien space men flying around in spaceships. It’s like with those “doctors” or “professors” who appear on shows like ‘Ancient Aliens’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Seeing an object in the sky, which is not immediately recognisable or identifiable, is normal for normal people. It means diddlysquat.

Some would like to infuse such a sighting with an outer-worldly import. Or even believe that they themselves are somehow 'special' for seeing such a thing.

However, most of us just move on without thinking to bore rigid the next person we meet with the phantasmagorical story of our quasi-religious experience and how meaningful it all was.

i seen one 6 foot off the ground a few feet in front of me (it was unidentifiable and it was flying) - sorry to burst your bubble. I outlined it int he thread if you could be bothered reading. I wont even ask you to point out anywhere on this that Ive even mentioned the word 'aliens' etc.

anyway - you know best. Hope you get your obvious religious issues sorted. Ta ta!

i seen one 6 foot off the ground a few feet in front of me (it was unidentifiable and it was flying) - sorry to burst your bubble. I outlined it int he thread if you could be bothered reading. I wont even ask you to point out anywhere on this that Ive even mentioned the word 'aliens' etc.

anyway - you know best. Hope you get your obvious religious issues sorted. Ta ta!

The fact that you 'outlined' the story doesn't make it any less ludicrous.

However, after claiming to see the above in bold, I believe it might be best for you to pay a visit to your local GP.

Do post back and tell us all how you got on, and don't hold back on telling the full story to him/her.

Do take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

You might say 'cynical'; it's a favoured word of religious people for non-believers.

I would prefer to think of myself as slightly less credulous than you, obviously.;)

Hypothetical question for you. What would you say to someone who might suggest that you yourself have been abducted and implanted and the reason you try to slag off the believers is because you have been programmed to do so?

Research, come on. Listen, bub, you asked for potential explanations so, as I’m not “au fait” with the latest UFO encounters, I checked the Wikipedia article on the “case”. I’m hardly going to go to some Fortean site where the only potential explanation is aliens.

Frankly, I’m starting to question your scientific integrity if you, persistently, dismiss any dissenting voice that doesn’t fully back the idea that these unexplained events are alien space men flying around in spaceships. It’s like with those “doctors” or “professors” who appear on shows like ‘Ancient Aliens’.

Agree with the above 'ES', save for the bit about the poster's 'scientific integrity', how or where was this established?

Hypothetical question for you. What would you say to someone who might suggest that you yourself have been abducted and implanted and the reason you try to slag off the believers is because you have been programmed to do so?

Help!

• Advertisement

The fact that you 'outlined' the story doesn't make it any less ludicrous.

However, after claiming to see the above in bold, I believe it might be best for you to pay a visit to your local GP.

Do post back and tell us all how you got on, and don't hold back on telling the full story to him/her.

Do take care.

are you trying to tell the OP he didnt see what he claims to have seen?

Advertisement