Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LastPass due to restrict free users to One Device

Options
  • 16-02-2021 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just received an email from lastpass stating that from the 15th of March, they will be restricting free users to a one device pass... so either desktop or mobile :(

Link

Guess having unlimited access was too good an option to last this long.

Anyone on a premium plan...? Afaik you can pay up front on a yearly basis...

Comments

Great. Now to find how to export all to another free app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Horrific piece of software, even for free

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Had nothing but problems with LastPass, and changed to BitDefender. You can export your vault from LastPass and import to BitDefender no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

yea its not great at getting the passwords when on the sites themselves and you end up having to go into the app, copy password and go back to webpage. When it works its great but not the best all the same. Let us know if anyone has alternative?

Will need to look at something then. When I was first setting up one of these I didn't like the look of any of them apart from LastPass so hopefully that's changed now.

What are the options then? Ideally I'd have multi device including autofill support from biometrics on mobile (iOS) the way Lastpass does, a Windows Chrome plugin, and be able to import the LastPass database to it. Too good to be true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

BitWarden, open source and you can host your own

I use Bitwarden and a yubikey

jester77 wrote: »
    BitWarden, open source and you can host your own

Definitely want to avoid anything like that if I can. No interest in trying to host and protect information that kind of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Keepass. Use whatever sync service you like, they just get an encrypted blob to store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 observanto

Self-hosting is only an option. Bitwarden is one of the most secure password managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

I did pay for premium long time ago then they made changes to free that made it pointless to pay for premium. Couldn't understand their thinking.

Happy to start paying again next month. I found it a very good tool and worth it for piece of mind. Not getting the problems some mentioned here.

I would also do a shout out for keepass, do use it for work as well. But prefer lastpass than storing key onto unencrypted cloud platform. Also the wonder if the cloud tool correctly synced current version.

Downloaded and had a try of a few yesterday evening but I think I'll end up paying for LastPass.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Had not seen this email, crap. I'd be lost without it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,283 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've just downloaded Bitwarden, so far so good. Very easy to import from Lastpass. Will play with it for next few days and see.

One minor point I've noticed - seems that syncing between devices is a little slow (e.g. I added a password to my vault on web, had to manually sync my browser extension a minute later for it to appear). Might be teething issue on my part though.

It is truth that Bitwarden syncing is a little slow, however on a day to day basis you rarely need immediate syncing.

Bitwarden has very vibrant community on Reddit and moving from Lastpass to BW is the main topic today.

I have a few awkward sites for work where very similar domains have loads of test accounts/etc. Using bitwarden works very easy, no issues at all.

Haven't had opportunity to use it on phone yet, so will see on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

moved to bitwarden myself and went with the premium for the year, was around €8.50. Used to use lastpass authenticator for most of my 2 form factor code generation but with bitwarden, I can add it to the vault item. when using via mobile app, it will copy the generated code to your clipboard so no more having to open separate app to get code

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I just use pa55w0rd for everything, if I need an exclamation mark at the end I will add it in.
    No need for a password vault, keep it simple.

I just use pa55w0rd for everything, if I need an exclamation mark at the end I will add it in.
    No need for a password vault, keep it simple.

picard-facepalm.jpg

(although I assume trolling)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just switched to BitWarden, all exported from lastpass and imported to BitWarden in less than 5 mins. BitWarden supports iOS autofill too so seamless experience.

• Advertisement

Just switched to BitWarden, all exported from lastpass and imported to BitWarden in less than 5 mins. BitWarden supports iOS autofill too so seamless experience.

How much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

How much is it?

Free with option for a premium, opted for the basic one myself

Update on Bitwarden after another day: very impressed. Seems very similar in features to LastPass, less crashy on android for me too (lastpass had a tendency to forget that it was allowed fill forms).

The only thing I miss, and it's just because of habit, is the little lastpass icon to click on in the login box itself on screen. But it's just a matter of clicking the extension in top right.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

dulpit wrote: »
    Update on Bitwarden after another day: very impressed. Seems very similar in features to LastPass, less crashy on android for me too (lastpass had a tendency to forget that it was allowed fill forms).

The only thing I miss, and it's just because of habit, is the little lastpass icon to click on in the login box itself on screen. But it's just a matter of clicking the extension in top right.

You can set up auto-fill in settings or failing that, you can right click the entry field and bitwarden appears on the drop down menu

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

cefh17 wrote: »
    You can set up auto-fill in settings or failing that, you can right click the entry field and bitwarden appears on the drop down menu

Yeah on android when login fields show up you will get popup showing details which auto fill. If you have premium and add the 2fa to a login, when you enter the username and password the generated code will be in your clipboard

• Registered Users Posts: 16,487 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I am a longtime lastpass user and advocate.
    Had a paid account for years until work pulled that perk ;)

I switched to Bitwarden a couple of days ago, and it was a very straightforward experience.
    I opted to export from lastpass via .CSV then imported that to Bitwarden.

Installed the chrome extension and the android app.
    Delighted with the performance tbh.
    Even if I choose to go premium it's very cheap.

Had an issue with lastpass since android 11 update whereby the autofill kept having an error that required app to be disabled and renewables in services.

Bitwarden, no issue at all works flawlessly.

TBH I should have switched years ago!

dulpit wrote: »

Does it fill in app passwords on your phone like lastpass

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Switched from LastPass to Bitwarden last night too. Happy with the experience so far. Had been wondering if Reddit was a swarm of advertising, but it's actually a better alternative I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm going to give Bitwarden a go too.

I did pay for LastPass premium a few years ago. Was only €12 for a year then. I think LogMeIn bought LastPass and have been increasing the cost every year since. Now they've decided too many were using the free version.

• Advertisement

lifehacker.com: Bitwarden Is Now the Best Free Alternative to LastPass

Advertisement