Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natwest considering closing Ulster Bank in the ROI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Yes up to 10% of the outstanding balance each year. For many I presume they wouldn't come close to the 10% overpayment each year so they effectively have a variable rate mortgage on a (low) fixed rate.

Even if you wanted to overpay by more than 10% Ulster Bank cap their break fee at 6 months interest. That assumes there's a break fee at all. All that versus paying 1% extra to be variable. Not to say fixing is right every time but UB definitely present a lot of favourable options. A shame it appears we'll be seeing them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Q&A wrote: »
    Yes up to 10% of the outstanding balance each year. For many I presume they wouldn't come close to the 10% overpayment each year so they effectively have a variable rate mortgage on a (low) fixed rate.

Even if you wanted to overpay by more than 10% Ulster Bank cap their break fee at 6 months interest. That assumes there's a break fee at all. All that versus paying 1% extra to be variable. Not to say fixing is right every time but UB definitely present a lot of favourable options. A shame it appears we'll be seeing them go.

Yeah this is accurate. My mortgage at the start of the year was 315k. So I can overpay by 31.5k this year with no penalties. Its the main reason I went with UB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I reviewed the mortgage last year and ended up changing out Term by paying more per month. I also reviewed the fixed vs variable and decided not to change as:

1. was considering doing a lump sum payment. Those funds are going elsewhere now.
    2. Wanted to see how we got on with the higher monthly figure and was half thinking of pushing it higher again so wanted full flexibility.

Now that the two items above are dealt with I think you are right - variably currently 3.2% and it is a no brainer to fix now @ 2.2% for 2 years or 2.35% for 4/5 years.

UB still allow additional payments on fixed rates?

or does their 5year high value (over €250k) rate apply to you - 2.2%

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Loan book looks like it will be carved out and sold as expected

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40222754.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭jj880

JTMan wrote: »
    You are betting on this Friday so.

The results are announced to the stock market at around 6/7 AM on Friday 19 February so Friday evening on 19 February will be too late.

No announcement today it seems.

You reckon definitely before next Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It will either come the day before results or in the results themselves.

It will be an Irish story. It's such a minor part of NatWest that it will barely register with shareholders.

They probably do more business in Liverpool than Republic of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Darc19 wrote: »
    It will either come the day before results or in the results themselves.

It will be an Irish story. It's such a minor part of NatWest that it will barely register with shareholders.

They probably do more business in Liverpool than Republic of Ireland

Natwest are a listed PLC that will have to manage the release of the information carefully. That probably means this information will be released outside stock exchange trading hours. Hence, staff might be called to a meeting on Thursday evening and told or it will be announced to the stock exchange at 6/7 AM on Friday and staff will thereafter be called to a meeting on Friday morning.

JTMan wrote: »
    Natwest are a listed PLC that will have to manage the release of the information carefully. That probably means this information will be released outside stock exchange trading hours. Hence, staff might be called to a meeting on Thursday evening and told or it will be announced to the stock exchange at 6/7 AM on Friday and staff will thereafter be called to a meeting on Friday morning.

Yes if it hadn't been flagged already that it was under review.

So as it's not an unknown event, they can announce at any time and staff consideration probably is more important.

If no announcement before Friday, then Friday will see either an update or a firm decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Now that the two items above are dealt with I think you are right - variably currently 3.2% and it is a no brainer to fix now @ 2.2% for 2 years or 2.35% for 4/5 years.

UB still allow additional payments on fixed rates?

It's a no brainer to fix now and use the flexibility to overpay when you wish.
    I'm starting my monthly overpayments now before any announcements are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

RTE's Will Goodbody put out an article this weekend but it doesn't cover anything that hasn't already been discussed in this forum.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0212/1196838-big-withdrawal-decision-on-ulster-banks-future-nears/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭py

I've a few queries in relation to all of this, which I'd assume will affect others here. Not expecting concrete answers but perhaps people know what has happened with other loan books being sold off in the past.

1. For those with a mortgage account who have been provided with the loyalty discount due to having current account with UB, do people think this will be gone if the loan book is sold?

2. If the mortgage loan book is sold off, what are the chances of getting out of a fixed rate mortgage without penalties?

py wrote: »

2. If the mortgage loan book is sold off, what are the chances of getting out of a fixed rate mortgage without penalties?

I was thinking this myself. If a non-bank buys the mortgage how should/could a break fee be calculated. More broadly would the mortgage directive (which break fees are based on) actually apply to a fund.

At least if another bank purchases the loan book there would be less unknowns

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I was thinking this myself. If a non-bank buys the mortgage how should/could a break fee be calculated. More broadly would the mortgage directive (which break fees are based on) actually apply to a fund.

At least if another bank purchases the loan book there would be less unknowns

Keep in mind, that we're not talking about selling of a block of bad loans, so it is unlikely that it will be discounted to the level that would interest a so called vulture fund. I expect it will be take by someone with an interest in running it as an ongoing operation.

If I was in Natwest right now, I'd be looking at the possibility of securitising at least the mortgage book and sell it to my private clients as some kind of MBS. Generally speaking Irish people are reliable debtors and the in the current market the returns would no be all that bad. The only negative would be that it is a bit on the small side... on the other hand it might offer the best return for the bank as you get to collect additional fees.

But we will have to wait and see what happens.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Keep in mind, that we're not talking about selling of a block of bad loans, so it is unlikely that it will be discounted to the level that would interest a so called vulture fund. I expect it will be take by someone with an interest in running it as an ongoing operation.

In the current environment I'd say a lot of funds would be looking enviously at a performing book earning north of 2%.

My point was more if a non-bank was to purchase it what might that mean for break free calculations.Do they fall outside the scope of the mortgage directive? If not it'll be interesting to see how different the underlying performance of a fund Vs a bank like UB might impact the calculation.

There's a set formula for break fees. It's written in your contract.

They can't disregard the contract and neither can you.

Break fee will not change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭py

Thanks for clearing that up, just wasn't sure how it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Just catching up with this thread, we've just signed up for a 4 year fixed rate with UB, kind of regretting it now given the news

I guess realistically if NatWest decided to sell UB then it'll take years to sell off the different parts of the bank and they'll have a lot of pushback from staff unions and politicians at every stage

My guess is that they'll try to shut down the retail side of the bank and sell the deposit accounts off to another bank, since that's the worst performing section given the current negative interest rates

NatWest might want to keep the loan book since that's an easy money maker, but they might be forced to sell it as part of the overall bank

My main concern as a mortgage holder is around what happens if the loan book is sold. I keep hearing that the buyer needs to respect the terms and conditions of the current mortgage, but how far does that go. For example, can they change how overpayments are managed or the variable rate interest at the end of a fixed rate?

My other worry would be if NatWest or an external fund cuts the staff managing the loan book down to a handful of people. Getting anything out of them when they're understaffed and disinterested will be difficult and they might drag their heels on every request

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Just catching up with this thread, we've just signed up for a 4 year fixed rate with UB, kind of regretting it now given the news

I guess realistically if NatWest decided to sell UB then it'll take years to sell off the different parts of the bank and they'll have a lot of pushback from staff unions and politicians at every stage

My guess is that they'll try to shut down the retail side of the bank and sell the deposit accounts off to another bank, since that's the worst performing section given the current negative interest rates

NatWest might want to keep the loan book since that's an easy money maker, but they might be forced to sell it as part of the overall bank

My main concern as a mortgage holder is around what happens if the loan book is sold. I keep hearing that the buyer needs to respect the terms and conditions of the current mortgage, but how far does that go. For example, can they change how overpayments are managed or the variable rate interest at the end of a fixed rate?

My other worry would be if NatWest or an external fund cuts the staff managing the loan book down to a handful of people. Getting anything out of them when they're understaffed and disinterested will be difficult and they might drag their heels on every request

If they want to exit the market which is sounds like they do they'll sell all the bits, they won't hold on to the loan book.

You have a contract and that can't change without agreement on both sides. Treatment of overpayments and roll off rates will change but theres no point worrying if you are on a fixed rate. You should be shopping around when that comes up anyway.

As for customer service well that could change, who knows it could even change for the better.

Finally, politicians and unions mean nothing if they want to leave the market...it will happen.

No one's talking about disregarding a contract.

The fee is a function of the rates faced by the bank. Now imagine that bank sells your mortgage. The rates faced by the purchaser may be different.

Break fee change daily with market rates

Not an issue for mortgages issued in the last couple of years but for anyone who fixed before 2016 time was open to a wide interpretation by banks. The mortgage directive changed this and restricted the liberties banks could take within their contractual formulas

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/banks-under-fire-for-charging-huge-fees-for-breaking-out-of-fixed-rates-37240089.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Politics has no impact it’s a commercial decision and unions are weak and powerless .. if they decide to sell it will be completed within a year or sooner.

If they get a ok price for it they will sell...if not they may transfer loan book to another division of the bank and let it run down but that would not release capital which Natwest want to get their hands on to invest in the Natwest online offering. Can only see the loan book being transferred to another part of Natwest if it fitted strategically with other plans such as accessing the Irish financial services/funds industry in a post brexit world.

• Advertisement

No one's talking about disregarding a contract.

The fee is a function of the rates faced by the bank. Now imagine that bank sells your mortgage. The rates faced by the purchaser may be different.

Break fee change daily with market rates

Not an issue for mortgages issued in the last couple of years but for anyone who fixed before 2016 time was open to a wide interpretation by banks. The mortgage directive changed this and restricted the liberties banks could take within their contractual formulas

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/banks-under-fire-for-charging-huge-fees-for-breaking-out-of-fixed-rates-37240089.html

That article is almost 3 years old. Highly unlikely anyone is now on a 5% fixed rate esp Ulster as they were active in bringing rates down.

And exactly as you are saying, there is a set formula. It's written in the contract and it must be adhered to by both parties

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Politics has no impact it’s a commercial decision and unions are weak and powerless .. if they decide to sell it will be completed within a year or sooner.

If they get a ok price for it they will sell...if not they may transfer loan book to another division of the bank and let it run down but that would not release capital which Natwest want to get their hands on to invest in the Natwest online offering. Can only see the loan book being transferred to another part of Natwest if it fitted strategically with other plans such as accessing the Irish financial services/funds industry in a post brexit world.

I guess the politics element is that the government owns PTSB and given the bad press the previous governments have had over mortgages being sold they may force PTSB to merge with UB

Wait and see though, the government won't want to intervene in the banking sector again so they'll say no unless there's no other option

I'm not sure the bank will be sold as one big entity, by all accounts prospective buyers won't be interested in the deposit accounts and I can't imagine any banks want to take on 88 branches across the nation given they're trying to shut down branches themselves

There'll be the usual haggling as buyers want the profitable bits and try to avoid the underperforming parts

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I guess the politics element is that the government owns PTSB and given the bad press the previous governments have had over mortgages being sold they may force PTSB to merge with UB

Wait and see though, the government won't want to intervene in the banking sector again so they'll say no unless there's no other option

I'm not sure the bank will be sold as one big entity, by all accounts prospective buyers won't be interested in the deposit accounts and I can't imagine any banks want to take on 88 branches across the nation given they're trying to shut down branches themselves

There'll be the usual haggling as buyers want the profitable bits and try to avoid the underperforming parts

PTSB will take over sme...branch network and deposit book not worth anything and other banks are waiting for ulster announcement to introduce further deposit caps/negative interest..the only part of the business that you could realistically sell in the current market is the loan book.

There will be no merger with PTSB as they don’t have the capital without government pumping in 10bn or doing a share offering to raise funds.

No. They have no authority to do so, it would require EU approval and that will no be forthcoming. The entire banking across the Euro Group is suffering the same fate, consolidating and rationalize needs to happen and there would be several objections to such a request.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Talk is that Lonestar are interested in the mortgages, and PTSB are interested in the commercial loans.

No, the media reports have made it clear that as UB is a foreign bank, then the Irish Govt have less power / influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

Politics has no impact it’s a commercial decision and unions are weak and powerless .. if they decide to sell it will be completed within a year or sooner... .

That's absolute rubbish!

Try 5 to 7 years, if it's too be broken up and sold to different buyers. If they are lucky, they may get an initial portfolio or two sold in year 1, and even that's a stretch, given the impact of coronavirus on all large office based industries.

Preparing loan books for sale, meeting the requirements of the central bank on how to treat customers fairly etc...

Take a look at previous banks that were would down, none of them were done in a year.....

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    That's absolute rubbish!

Try 5 to 7 years, if it's too be broken up and sold to different buyers.

Take a look at previous banks that were would down, none of them were done in a year.....

What is there to break up and sell? The loan books are the only thing worth anything. The rest is just wind down which could be done in a year. It’s not a big bank or overly complicated.

T

I don't recall Danske taking 7 years.

They scaled back at first, yes, by closing retail current accounts, as far as I recall.

And also sold the mortgage book.

I don't have any dates to hand, but it did not take 7 years.

• Advertisement

Try 5 to 7 years, if it's too be broken up and sold to different buyers.

From experience, it will take about 10 years to fully settle all of the banks affairs, but most of the business will be gone within 6 months. And there is not much the central bank can do since it will no longer be a licensed bank. The biggest stick the Central Bank has is to withdraw a license, but if you don’t want the license....

So long as the bank terminates it’s relationship with its customers in accordance the T&C they both signed up to there is no recourse.

Advertisement