Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Sports Podcasts golf or otherwise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

unplayable wrote: »
    Golf weekly going behind a paywall. Wow could this be joes main thing going forward if it takes off.

I'm disappointed to hear that, but in fairness why should I get it for free every week?

How much are they planning to charge for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

blue note wrote: »
    I'm disappointed to hear that, but in fairness why should I get it for free every week?

£4
    PER MONTH
    (+VAT)
    Full and exclusive access to all Golf Weekly podcasts
    Bonus Major Monday + post Ryder Cup & The Players Championship review episodes
    Big Interview series with some of the biggest names in the game
    Invite to join our exclusive #FriendOfThePod community on Discord
    Exclusive #friendofthepod entry to Major Sunday watch parties with Team GW
    Advance notice for our world famous and limited capacity Golf Weekly events
    Tips and insights from a two-time PGA Tour winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

blue note wrote: »

We don’t get it for free. We are advertised to

Can’t see it been a success. I won’t pay

How many pay for second captains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

gypsy79 wrote: »

I have already signed up to pay. I look forward to it each week and it can only improve with backing like this. Great value for the price of a coffee a month.

I flick between paying and not paying for second captains, sometimes it annoys me. I do think it's good value if you have time to listen to every pod.

Golf Weekly isnt even in my top 10 podcasts and dont mind letting it go

Now can they make anything Ger Gilroy is on patreon too??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

They won't need too many subscribers as they all already work for Newstalk and probably on nice money already. Lawrie has the Spawell and Fionn has the journalism or whatever.

I won't be subscribing as there's just too much good, free stuff between other podcasts and YouTube. Disappointed though as I enjoyed listening to them when they weren't pontificating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Anyone a link to it? When is it due to move over?

Disappointing they're going to a pay model, slightly surprising since at times in last couple of years they have struggled to release a weekly podcast :-).

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Anyone a link to it? When is it due to move over?

11th March they said will be first one that has to be paid for.

Not sure I'll sign up for it to be honest. 3 of them are really just fan boys of golf really. Yes they might work in broadcasting but they don't offer any insight to the sport only their own opinion. I do enjoy listening to Peter Lawrie though and his thoughts and experiences.

I prefer some of the other podcasts where they have different guests on each episode and you get a different perspective on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Golf weekly going behind a paywall. Wow could this be joes main thing going forward if it takes off.

Egos taking over I think, that's the end of golf weekly for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It's a fair bit down my list of favourites as it is so I don't think I'll be paying for it. But good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

I really cannot understand how people like Lawrie. Comes across as a bitter ex pro who thinks he knows better than a lot of the top pros out there. I find him extremely arrogant.

On the pay wall, I probably won't sign up purely because there is so much quality content out there. Often find myself not listening to the likes of the NLU guys purely because there is so much content out there, couldn't justify paying for any currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Hoppermcgrath

I don’t think they give Lawrie enough airtime at all. He is the guy on team who has had the long career on Tour and can talk with authority on all aspects of pro golf, yet often they appear to defer to Fionn, who with the greatest of respect has no more idea than the rest of us on the realities of playing pro golf.

Whether the paywall works depends on how many subscribers they need to make it viable. Mind you, lately they appear to spend time quoting Kyle Porter and Justin Ray. You can certainly hear Kyle Porter for free on other podcasts, so why pay to hear him quoted on GW.

Overall though I’d probably think of subscribing if they give more of the show over to Lawrie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

I probably won't subscribe. I just seem to have a mounting number of subscriptions. Ntl TV and broadband, netflix, prime, Disney plus, now tv sports. I've just cancelled now tv and must cancel disney too.

€4 a month is very reasonable. But I'm not going to bother with it. I do hope it works out for then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

gypsy79 wrote: »

Just checked Patreon and they have 12,501 paying subscribers for €5 per month. There is usually 1 free and 4 paid pods per week. €4 for 1 per week and a few extra pods 4 times a year around majors seems to be stretching it
    I will miss it to an extent but I won't be paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Disappointed they are going behind a paywall. I wont be paying, already listen to No Laying Up podcast which covers practically the same thing.
    have a couple of other I listen to also.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭golfer79

Also won’t subscribe personally. So many other free (and better to my ears) podcasts that I can’t even get through them each week. Regularly delete episodes of podcasts that I had hoped to listen to as they have become dated.

4 euro pm is a pittance mind you if I was a big enough fan and some may be. Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭willabur

I have signed up already
    Independent journalism should be supported any which way you can. I am a big fan of OTB but the embrace of betting companies as sponsors turns my stomach. If it means I don't need to listen to crap adverts then I don't mind paying.

I like lawrie for what its worth. He is a bit of a moan and a crank but every decent discussion needs this. The lack of reverence for the players is healthy. Golf coverage in general is completely up its own hole for the most part

willabur wrote: »
    I have signed up already
    Independent journalism should be supported any which way you can. I am a big fan of OTB but the embrace of betting companies as sponsors turns my stomach. If it means I don't need to listen to crap adverts then I don't mind paying.

I like lawrie for what its worth. He is a bit of a moan and a crank but every decent discussion needs this. The lack of reverence for the players is healthy. Golf coverage in general is completely up its own hole for the most part

Will this get rid of the spomsors/adverts though?

etxp wrote: »
    Will this get rid of the spomsors/adverts though?

You would think so.....it sounds a little like they have actually got the boot from Newstalk if the truth be told. About 24 months ago they did kind of hint that management had been questioning their "worth"

We are golf nuts by been here and not very representative of the Newstalk audience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I don’t think they give Lawrie enough airtime at all. He is the guy on team who has had the long career on Tour and can talk with authority on all aspects of pro golf, yet often they appear to defer to Fionn, who with the greatest of respect has no more idea than the rest of us on the realities of playing pro golf.
    This annoys me too.

I'd much rather hear Lawrie give his take on something from a player's perspective for a few minutes rather than one of Fionn's interminable soliloquies.

Yet we almost always get the latter first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

They mentioned a current Tour pro coming on board too? Do we know who?

I probably will pay it is the price of a coffee a month so quite reasonable.

How does patreon work? Is the podcast just now on that platform or will I still be able to listen through podcast republic?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    They mentioned a current Tour pro coming on board too? Do we know who?

I probably will pay it is the price of a coffee a month so quite reasonable.

How does patreon work? Is the podcast just now on that platform or will I still be able to listen through podcast republic?

Two time winner on the PGA tour it mentioned wasnt it? GMAC? Not sure how many wins he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

that's me done.

i refuse to pay for any podcast tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

that's me done.

i refuse to pay for any podcast tbh.
    That's silly, people wonder why there is so much disinformation and poorly researched publications online.

It's in some ways because sensationalist clickbait s*** is the only means of generating revenue.

I pay for 5 media sources and that's all I use. It's an auto filter for noise amd you don't suffer from a paradox of choice.

If you think it's good and you can afford to pay, you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭willabur

That's silly, people wonder why there is so much disinformation and poorly researched publications online.

It's in some ways because sensationalist clickbait s*** is the only means of generating revenue.

I pay for 5 media sources and that's all I use. It's an auto filter for noise amd you don't suffer from a paradox of choice.

100% agree

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I don’t think I’ll pay for it but I’m on the fence. The reason I’m on the fence is because they’ve never given the product for free that they’re about to charge for so it’s impossible to say if it’s worth it. I might try it for a month. There were no monday pods or Lawrie golf tips and the interviews were often on OTB already and then thrown into the pod feed. This is a new venture.

I don’t think there will be enough value in it. Joe, Nathan and Fionn are standard punters who are watching what we’re watching and doing this as a hobby. They’re not attending the tour events and they’re not full time dedicated to golf like NLU or even full time dedicated to the podcast itself like second captains. That’s grand if it’s free but they want us to pay the same price as second captains it shouldn’t be a hobby. I’m not convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I listen to it the odd time now only. Used to listen to it a lot more in the past. It's just not a great pod any more unfortunately. Fionn has no place there really. He just adds nothing that any random golfer off the street couldn't add. While Lawrie knows what he's talking about obviously, he comes across as a bitter ex pro on so many occasions.

I'm not so sure what to say about Joe to be honest. When he started out on OTB he was likeable and easy to listen to but I think he has gotten stale or something. Maybe it's just me, I dunno.

Also to be comparing Golf Weekly to NLU or Second Captains is just madness. Both are streets ahead of it in so many ways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

why is it silly?
    because you think paid for media is somehow better?

very few "independent journalists" anymore.

i dont use any click bait sites.

i dont mind an ad on a podcast that i can forward through.

i can afford it but choose not to pay for ANY podcast. Ability to afford something doesnt automatically mean you should pay it.

I pay for a golf club membership even though i cant play due to restrictions over the last year as it is still of value to me.

second captains is an example of a pod i also listened to but wouldnt pay for. havent listened to rogan since his move to a singular provider.

There is no disinformation or poor research once you magically pay for a pod via patreon?

• Advertisement

why is it silly?
    because you think paid for media is somehow better?

very few "independent journalists" anymore.

i dont use any click bait sites.

i dont mind an ad on a podcast that i can forward through.

i can afford it but choose not to pay for ANY podcast. Ability to afford something doesnt automatically mean you should pay it.

I pay for a golf club membership even though i cant play due to restrictions over the last year as it is still of value to me.

second captains is an example of a pod i also listened to but wouldnt pay for. havent listened to rogan since his move to a singular provider.

There is no disinformation or poor research once you magically pay for a pod via patreon?

Yup in fact paying for limited podcasts/media outfits like you suggests that you love that echo chamber you live in (oops not finglashoop, the person he was replying to)

That insufferable c**t Ger Gilroy is perfect example of this

Another point is they would want improve the production qualities. Yesterdays pod jumped back 30 seconds and repeated itself at least twice. Although that is good for a Newstalk production to only have that happen twice

Advertisement