Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I Enjoy Being an Alcoholic!!!

• 10-02-2021 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is unusual perhaps, but I drink maybe 6-cans a night - and have done so quite extensively over the past few years. I'm in my late 20s, too, and do try to balance alcohol intake with a very good diet and extensive exercise.

The problem is this: that I enjoy drinking alcohol at night. I know many people get depressed and drink because they are sad or responding to stress or some other negative reason, but I have no reason at all to be depressed. I have quite a good life and I don't have anything bad going on.

I make over 120,000 per year, so affording beers each night isn't much of an issue either.

At least when someone is depressed, there is a clear path toward quitting alcohol. It's almost easier I suppose. But I'm drinking it because I enjoy it, in the same way, a smoker (I don't smoke) enjoys the act of smoking even with the full knowledge of the damage it can do.

It's a bit of a Catch-22.

I know it can cause long-term damage, but I enjoy it in the short-term.

Also, many people would classify my drinking habit like that of an "alcoholic", even though, as I said, I'm quite a positive, upbeat, and hard-working individual.

But I could be fooling myself. Hence why I've offered to throw this out for legitimate critique and to analyze your interpretation of what some might consider a bad habit.

Thanks in advance for any replies received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Sounds stupid but hobbies/other interests. When you have some you may be less inclined to drink. Used to do a bit of scrambling years ago. Stopped drinking the nights before I went out on the bike. The joy of the hobby was such that I didn't want the booze to ruin it for me. Its can be difficult to get into things. Try something and see if you like it. Also, I didn't think I had a drink problem for years... until I did. If you think you've an issue just stop for a week and see how difficult it is. Go from there. Alcohol problems ranges from the drunk on the street with shaking hands till they get a drop all the way to someone who just drinks at the weekends but gets plastered because they can't handle their own emotions/life issues.
    Gluck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Also, many people would classify my drinking habit like that of an "alcoholic", even though, as I said, I'm quite a positive, upbeat, and hard-working individual.

But I could be fooling myself. Hence why I've offered to throw this out for legitimate critique and to analyze your interpretation of what some might consider a bad habit.

Thanks in advance for any replies received.

Alcoholics are dependent on alcohol. It doesn't matter how hard working or upbeat you are.

Are you dependent on alcohol? If so, you're an alcoholic.

If not, you're just a heavy drinker - 6 cans a day is above recommended levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Go without alcohol a few days each week to give your liver a chance to recover.

If you can't do that you should seriously consider not drinking at all. As others have said, you need a hobby or something to interest you. Not easy with lockdown but plan towards reducing the alcohol intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭fizzypish

KaneToad wrote: »
    Alcoholics are dependent on alcohol. It doesn't matter how hard working or upbeat you are.

Are you dependent on alcohol? If so, you're an alcoholic.

If not, you're just a heavy drinker - 6 cans a day is above recommended levels.

Just to add to this. The term alcoholic stings. Even after I quit, I would have bristled if someone called me an alcoholic (Not so much now). Don't get bogged down in the terms OP. If the drink is effecting your life negatively then its a problem. Don't worry about the level of the issue or the name, just try deal with it or seek assistance in dealing with it. A problem can simply be, its occupying time I could be doing something more enjoyable. Not to be a smart arse but by asking the question, on some level you know its some level of issue. Quitting can be as tough as full on AA and therapy or it can just as easily be a few months of boredom till you figure out how to occupy your time better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭piwyudo0fhn57b

It's bad if it starts to control you and your life but perhaps reduce the intake for the health of your organs and taking hobbies and other interests as previously suggested is a good idea too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭global23214124

I think if you carry on at that rate its 100% going to lead to issues down the line. If you think its not an issue but have a niggling feeling that it is then try and go without it for a few weeks and see how you get on. If you are having that much to wind down every night it's too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

120k is that after tax
    I wouldn't have time to be an alcoholic or drink six cans a night if i had that dollar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have a family member in a similar situation , earns well over 100k and would of started out like yourself , few drinks each night . Now though its developed to the point where once Friday night hits he can't stop after a few , could stay up till 5or6am drinking on his own after his wife is gone to bed. Saturday and Sunday daytime is a write off until the afternoon .

It's also effected his thoughts and actions towards those around him , can be nasty buy can hide it well in front of others . Hates being called out on his issues.

Doctor is warning him as his bloods are starting to come back with some abnormal readings , the damage is very real .

No real hobbies , keeps fit in the Gym , keeps his appearance up . Needs to be a bit flash and show off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Your liver doesn't enjoy 6 cans a night, you're giving yourself an avoidable chronic condition. But you must know that, so if your perception of your alcohol habit is pure enjoyment, it's false and it has you in its grip.
    Quit it tonight, are you able to?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think you're in your 20s and it might seem fine by now, because your body is handling it now (appearing to, anyway).

Give it another 5-10 years, and you will be back here asking how to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What is a beer, 220 calories?

That's 1,320 calories a day in beer alone. Over half your overall recommended daily intake. Nearly 10,000 in a week.

I doubt you're exercising enough to offset that, you'd need to be hitting the gym non stop.

Sure fire way of piling on the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Drinking a 6 pack at home every night for years does sound depressive, moreso for the lack of potential interesting alternatives of which there are so many.

Have you had relationships in this time? Cant imagine many partners would be overly happy with your compulsions, unless alcohol dependent themselves.

That level of drinking is hugely damaging to your health too so for that reason alone you need to cut down significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Yeah, I know someone who was very similar, similar alcohol intake every night, hard worker, very athletic person, no weight issues, energetic, didn't think it was a problem etc etc.
    Then after years of this several pints almost every night, started to get a few pains, bit of blood in toilet, went to the doctor.
    He was told to stop drinking immediately or he could be dead within the year.
    Now he realises that he did / does have a problem because he is having difficulty stopping because he stops for maybe a few days / a week, then binges.
    He could be dead in a year from the damage that's done if he doesn't completely stop.
    So, as others have said, 6 pints every night is not healthy. At the moment you are young and your body is working to cope with it. But it won't be able to cope for long.
    Don't end up like my friend who is struggling to hit the brakes before crashing into an open grave at a very young age.
    Try cut it down, try get the alcohol intake to moderate levels, enjoy a few pints, but give your body a chance to deal with it.
    Also... If you didn't think that there may be something wrong with your drinking habits, you wouldn't be on here asking, just a thought ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Can you go nights without any?
    Why does it have to be 6?

Wouldn't 1 or 2 do occasionally?

It doesn't matter how much someone earns or how much exercise etc you're getting if behind it all you're not actually happy with the alcohol consumption.
    Have you brought it up for a particular reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Some people can drink a lot and simply enjoy it, without being pigeonholed into the category of 'alcoholic' (which has implied inferences, like you're drinking because of some trauma or slipping into addiction and wreaking havoc on your finances/family/etc).

Your post makes it sound like drinking 6 tins a night is a total non-issue for you. Be that as it may, I always think if you get into too much of a habit with anything in life - it can be difficult to get out of. Whilst you are feeling 100%, subconsciously you are building a dependence on it. The same applies with constantly overeating, gambling, smoking, even smaller things like routines you have.

So if you're as certain as you think that it's a non-issue, why not just knock it on the head for a couple of weeks - a holiday from the beer - and see if you truly feel the same without it? Then you'll know if it's an issue or not.

If nothing else, a detox will be good for your body. On that health note, 6 tins a night in your 20s may be something your body can handle but it's not a long-term routine you want to get into - you are putting yourself at risk of chronic liver issues, high blood pressure, cancer and worse. Because beers and other drinks are packaged up, branded and advertised in such a convincing way, I think people often forget that alcohol is a toxin. And ingesting too much of any toxin for a long time can never be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the responses.

I've seen a few themes in the responses, so thought I'd bulk address these.

Many have asked that I must think there's a problem if I'm posting it here. That's absolutely true - I'm aware of the health consequences and that's clearly not a good thing; in the same way, smokers damage their lungs but still continue, so do I with drinking and aware of the harmful consequences on my liver. I suppose the point I was trying to make is that it's almost harder to quit drinking when you enjoy it.

In terms of income, it's almost all passive. So, I don't need to work that much - maybe 1-2 hours a day, even if that.

At night, things can get a bit boring, so I guess drink fills in the gap and helps you get things done or pass the time by. And it's quite enjoyable, as I've said. I've mostly been very work-centered the past few years, and it has worked financially. One of the downsides I suppose is that passive income gives you an awful lot of free time.

That said, I do think the health consequences are a serious issue. Even though I've said I'm healthy - as I eat very well and conduct exercise every day - I just weighed myself and found that I'm now 102.6kg. I was a bit surprised by this; I thought I was around 94kg or so!

Maybe my clothes stretched with time, and lockdown didn't help with that either I suppose.

Hmm, in any case, that weight is very high. It is a BMI of almost 32.

For that shocking reason, I think it's time to change. So I'm cutting out alcohol going forward. I'll need to replace that time with something else; honestly, I'm not quite sure! I don't have that many pastimes. As I say, I've been work-centered the past few years. That's always been my sole focus.

If I can get down from 102.6kg to around 90kg by the start of April, I think that would be good progress. But it means cutting out the alcohol permanently. I'm guessing my sleep will be disturbed tonight. I hope that doesn't lead me to want to return to alcohol tomorrow. I'll keep you updated here. Maybe it will help others, too - or they can join in.

Again, I appreciate the advice and recommendations. Keep it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Hi Op,

Your thread title and subsequent details come across quite facetious and could be perceived as insulting to genuinely struggling alcoholics. You call yourself an alcoholic in your title and even go so far as to say you enjoy being that way - is that really true? I've known a few alcoholics over the years and I've never heard any of them say they enjoy it. Most are struggling and going through personal hell.

That said, not all alcoholics are struggling or going through hell and I know myself that I enjoyed my drinking days (they're not over, just on hiatus at the moment) for the most part. Having a few beers in the evening is great! It relaxes you, makes you feel warm and fuzzy and helps you sleep. However, the internal unseen damage it's doing is undeniable and although you're not feeling the full impact now in your 20's, it will inevitably catch up on you. I know you say you're upbeat and don't really see it as an issue and if that's the case then maybe you're not an alcoholic, perhaps you're just a heavy drinker.

Maybe take a break from the 6 cans a night routine just to reassess the situation and seehow you feel. If you physically and emotionally feel pretty much the same and decide you genuinely prefer life with a six pack in hand then go nuts but if you feel notably different in a positive way then perhaps it's time to cut back a bit. You could have maybe 4 beers a night or drink 3 nights a week as oppossed to 7. Good thing is you're only drinking beer which is the least damaging tipple you could choose. If you were necking 6 glasses of gin or vodka a night, I think it would be more worrying and substantially more damaging.

lastly OP, at least you're honest and open about your drinking and enjoyment of it. My sister is similar, she drinks wine every night and has no intention of stopping. She has a gorgeous apartment, a great job and on the surface would appear to be content and happy but I can definitely see the effect it's having on her as an observer, albet a subjective obsever cos I love her and am concerned about her drinking. As I said though, she doesn't think it's a problem at all and her answer is .. give it up? Are you insane? It's my absolute favourite thing in the world!!

Personally, I view alcohol as an enemy masquerading as a friend and if you get on his bad side, you had better watch out!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Again, I appreciate the advice and recommendations. Keep it coming.

When you say you exercise, what are you doing exactly?

I gave up booze there for a few months, from November through to January. I'd been cycling a lot every day and was really enjoying getting fit, didn't want anything to take away from it.

At the end of January I had to make a decision, stay off forever or find some middle ground that allowed me to keep up with the fitness and not be impacted by the empty calories of booze and the general sense of lethargy it brings.

I do really enjoy a drink with friends and family, so decided that during the week is sober town, but I can have a few on the weekends if I'm meeting people. No more single glass of wine with dinner during the week or a bottle of beer while watching a movie on Wednesdays etc. That's really when it becomes habit forming.

Seems to be working well so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

That update fairly contradicts your opening post, you said you balance the drinking with a healthy diet and exercise but you're in the obese weight range so it isnt balanced in the slightest. Obviously BMI isnt always the best gauge but packing in that many added calories a week has to go somewhere and the weight reflects it. This only heightens your health risks. And I wouldn't be comparing it to smoking either, problems could surface very soon for you if you continue at that rate, while both are very bad for you in excess, heavy drinking is much more harmful in the short to medium term.

If work takes up so little time I think you need to find a passion or purpose to fill your time and not have the 6 cans at night be the highlight of your day. Perhaps take on some charity work, god knows theres enough in need of help right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I think the bottom line is you are putting your future health at risk even if you feel fine now.
    Try cutting down. If you can’t you might need to seek professional support because this is not sustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

OP, if you’re getting €120k a year maybe you should be seeking out professional advice rather that looking for online suggestions

• Administrators Posts: 13,746 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I've known a few people like you who in their late 20s "enjoyed a few cans" regularly (every day in your case) . Without question the people I know who fell into that category were heavily alcohol dependent by late 30s, early 40s to the extent where it causes problems in their personal lives.

You seem fairly confident in yourself and nobody can tell you that you're going to end up dependent. But if you're already worrying about withdrawals, disturbed sleep, boredom etc.. Then maybe you're more dependent than you think and rather than "enjoying" a few cans you need a few cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

OP you’re rationalising your drinking quite a lot here, and I found the need to mention how much you earn a bit bizarre and irrelevant tbh. The only way I can weigh all of that up with the fact that you’re here asking to begin with is that you sound like you’re in a bit of denial while also being somewhat conscious there’s an issue. Your post reads to me as, “I’m fine. I’m better than fine in fact, look how much I earn, I’m AMAZING...what’s wrong with me?”

At the end of the day OP only you can decide if you’ve got a problem and only you can decide to help yourself. None of us can make that decision for you and you won’t be helped if you don’t want to be. So what I’d suggest is figure out yourself why you felt the need to post to boards.ie asking if you were an alcoholic if you were as happy as you say you are.

If you decide that you are, then people can help you. But where you’re at now, mindset-wise, someone could spend decades trying to tell you you’ve a problem, and you could destroy your life without even realising, and it’d mean absolutely nothing to you. So really us telling you anything is kinda pointless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

You say you balance it out with extensive exercise, but is that really the case? You can't be getting the full benefit of a work out on the back of 6 cans a night and all the knock on effects that has? You've even discovered that today with the surprise weight gain.

You're trying to convince yourself that you have the perfect balance, but I'd say the reality is very different. Its affecting you physically already and you're excusing it by comparing yourself to someone who is addicted to something else so that you can get some sort of license to keep going. I know its bad for me but....

If you only work 1 to 2 hours a day you're likely getting all your day to day things and exercise done during the day too. Its to be expected you'll have time on your hands in the evening.

Its good you've decided to take a break from it. I hope you succeed with it and more importantly stick with it even if it proves tough initially. You'll be doing yourself a massive favour if you get to grips with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

If I can get down from 102.6kg to around 90kg by the start of April, I think that would be good progress. But it means cutting out the alcohol permanently. I'm guessing my sleep will be disturbed tonight. I hope that doesn't lead me to want to return to alcohol tomorrow. I'll keep you updated here. Maybe it will help others, too - or they can join in.

OP, your second post tells so much more than the first. In the first you more or less wanted to prove yourself (and us) you don't really have a problem, or more so, it can't be you have an alcohol problem mainly because you're enjoying alcohol so much.
    that's a really 'funny' way of justifying having a drug problem. Sure, that's the nature of drugs, they make us feel better, especially in the first times of taking them and the amount not yet completely out of control because the body gets more and more used to it.

otherwise why take them at all, if they wouldn't make us feel good, we could also drink 6 glasses of milk, water, whatever each evening.

from alcohol and nicotine it takes a lot of time and consumption to be really physically dependent, and with physically I mean having tremors and such. but the mental dependency is there much quicker.

after I read this (highlighted quote) from you, you definately have an alcohol problem. you are already kind of on the physical dependency because your sleep seems dependent on it.
    But you have good plans, try to stick to them and don't feel ashamed to take on professional help if you feel you won't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭golfball37

Being a heavy drinker with a regular schedule doesn’t make you an alcoholic.
    If you drink more than intended every time you pick up and if you can’t stop or quit on your own volition.

Answering yes to both of those is the minimum requirement to be an alcoholic. The op can keep to 6 cans and stop at that so doesn’t qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

golfball37 wrote: »
    Being a heavy drinker with a regular schedule doesn’t make you an alcoholic.
    If you drink more than intended every time you pick up and if you can’t stop or quit on your own volition.

Answering yes to both of those is the minimum requirement to be an alcoholic. The op can keep to 6 cans and stop at that so doesn’t qualify

Ridiculous summation. What if my intention is to drink a bottle of vodka every night and I stick to that, by your logic because im sticking to my intended limit, I don't have a problem.

We also don't know yet if he can quit on his own volition but even if he can it doesn't mean he's not an alcoholic. Not all alcoholics seek professional help, many manage to stop of their own accord. Conversely, many alcoholics who go into treatment fall off the wagon. My dad used to do 6 week drying out programmes in St. Pats and would go to the pub literally straight from the hospital!

Alcoholism is complex and can't be boxed into two questions. You're trivializing an extremely serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah that all sounds like the logic of an addict: making up random standards that are worse than them to prove they don’t have a problem. Those goalposts tend to shift too as they break every rule and hit each low barrier.

Another common one you’ll get from alcoholics is comparing their drinking habits or lives to the worst example they know (and even seeking out these people as drinking buddies sometimes just to feel better by comparison), so just because they’re not homeless, incomprehensible and wetting themselves they couldn’t possibly have a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

leggo wrote: »
    Another common one you’ll get from alcoholics is comparing their drinking habits or lives to the worst example they know (and even seeking out these people as drinking buddies sometimes just to feel better by comparison), so just because they’re not homeless, incomprehensible and wetting themselves they couldn’t possibly have a problem!

My own father is a shining example of this. His father was an alcoholic, and he grew up in a very, very poor household because so much of the little money they had was pissed away. I cringe sometimes when I see people today with smartphones and huge TVs and decent houses pleading poverty, when I've heard some stories of my father's childhood which outlined what poverty truly is.

My old man by comparison has done very well in business and would be considered wealthy by any account. He sees no harm in drinking every evening because it's never affected his ability to provide for his family, and he has a perception that drink is only an issue if it is financially detrimental to your family. He either ignores or is oblivious to the other effects of this - emotional, health, etc.

It's a strange cycle of events. Growing up in such a poor household is arguably what gave him (and continues to give him, even at OAP age) this huge hunger to succeed, but his understanding of alcohol addiction and it's effects on all concerned is totally skewered and viewed through a very narrow lens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Id be very happy to be an alcoholic too if i was earning 120,000 a year and only in my twenties.

Advertisement