Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Baked Beans Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

depends on what im eating them with.
    I dont require the beans to be in a separate dish but i will push them away from things once i get my plate (if im not plating it) to avoid excessive soakage
    Like the poster above said..unless its mash or something i want them mixed into.
    For beans on toast I typically do beans AND toast. With the beans in a bowl..Cant stand soggy toast

Who knew beans had such content for a conversation! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Who knew beans had such content for a conversation! :pac:

It's an explosive issue (so to speak).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

EshdTyPXAAcweHk?format=jpg&name=900x900

EsGbW39W4AIZsQS?format=jpg&name=medium

Er2VUZmXYAAO121?format=jpg&name=medium

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm sorry Rasta, but you're just giving beans a bad name now. Gravy should never be on the same plate as beans :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I feel a bit sick reading this thread!
    I can't deal with beans - and I think it is the bean juice... encroaching on all of the other food on the plate. Tainting it. There is absolutely NO place on a fry for beans - I have sent breakfasts back because they don't say beans on the menu, and it comes out with bean juice all over everything. The egg/bean mix should NEVER happen.
    Beans on toast - I can do that, if there is absolutely nothing else to eat - maybe once a year or so. Maybe on a baked potato with cheese - but for both of these, there can't be too much bean juice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Why would you put ketchup on mash when there's perfectly good beans on the plate :confused:

And who invited the pineapples to the party :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Good lord. That first one is diabolical

Just illustrating that beans can go with anything. Breakfast, lunch or dinner.

RasTa wrote: »
    vomit inducing pictures

Why?? :confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The curried beans used to be savage, hard got nowadays but a couple of spoonful of curry powder in the saucepan with the beans woeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Beans, mushrooms & hash browns are perfectly acceptable bedfellows on my breakfast plate alongside various items of a freshly murdered pig.
    Eggs however play no part in my breakfast nor indeed my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just had roast chicken (from the shop) with beans and chips, awesome.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

RasTa wrote: »
    EshdTyPXAAcweHk?format=jpg&name=900x900

EsGbW39W4AIZsQS?format=jpg&name=medium

Er2VUZmXYAAO121?format=jpg&name=medium

I have so many questions.

awec wrote: »
    I have so many questions.
    Why would you quote this monstrosity?!?!

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I genuinely don’t know which one is the worst.

I think the top one is gnocchi with gravy and beans? :D

The pineapple in the second one along with the unidentifiable disc objects is weirding me out.

And the sauce in the last one, what is that? Was it nice the first time you ate it? :D

Yeah, don't be quoting pics. My #1 pet peeve, that and beans in ramekins.

Beans, mushrooms & hash browns are perfectly acceptable bedfellows on my breakfast plate alongside various items of a freshly murdered pig.
    Eggs however play no part in my breakfast nor indeed my life.

I'm with you. Can not stand eggs fried / poached etc. Yet happily will eat scrambled or omelette. It's the white I have issue with.

On the beans topic, I would guess for most, it may be the juice. See previous posts about how the beans should be "cooked".

The pulses themselves I find do go well with murdered pig. Greasy meat needs the starchy complement. Think cassoulet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It's so funny the way everyone refers to the sauce as "juice". :pac:

I do like beans but this thread is sightly nauseating. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I like beans but can't find a decent tin these days. They seem to change their recipes often. Bachelors are sickly sweet, Heinz is meh, the own brands are awful these days. Branston was the best, nice thick sauce, but again they seem to have changed recently.

I like beans but can't find a decent tin these days. They seem to change their recipes often. Bachelors are sickly sweet, Heinz is meh, the own brands are awful these days. Branston was the best, nice thick sauce, but again they seem to have changed recently.

If you’re old enough to have experienced the 80s it’s like nothing tastes good anymore

SuperValu had really nice beans a while in the fridge area , Mexican fire or something

• Advertisement

British Home Stores used to do the best beans

I read somewhere that Crosse & Blackwell were supposed to be good?

Never saw that brand on sale here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

https://biona.co.uk/product/biona-organic-baked-beans/

Weetabix have shared this monstrosity on Twitter

EtxmaJ7XEAM5tfD?format=jpg&name=small

https://twitter.com/weetabix/status/1359074254789165059?s=20

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Oh my God - that's just wrong :eek:

Oh my God - that's just wrong :eek:

You should see the baked bean ice lolly.

I'd like to try making a proper version of baked beans, with molasses etc.

That recipe uses cans of American pork and beans though.

I think if I where to go to all that bother, I would make cassoulet.

I can see the reason why baked beans in a can exist. And why they are eaten on toast.

It's a 5 minute lunch or late night snack when no one has time to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I think the bachelors and heinz beans have gotten far worse in the last few years, or else my tastebuds have changed.

Recently Ive started to buy the cheap lidl or tesco own brand beans, open the tin over the sink but leave the lid in place, invert and let as much of the "juice" as you can to run out.

Empty the drier beans into a saucepan. Add in a tablespoon of reggae reggae sauce or hot sauce, then add a tablespoon of mainstream barbecue sauce. Add in a very generous pinch of salt and pepper. Heat for a few mins, i like to let them catch for a second every so often on the bottom (but dont burn them) to let them go a bit squidgy and mushy. If you had a leftover rasher chop that in too.

Delicious smoky "barbecue" baked beans in less than 5 mins

• Advertisement

Yeah, but baked beans without the juice can also be bought in a can. They are called haricot beans.

They just won't have absorbed the flavour of the sauce.

Advertisement