Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LV Thread: Chiefs v Buccaneers (MOD Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Gratzi22 wrote: »
    As a Bucs fan, that performance was the best I've seen over the last few years. Only small bit of disappointment was that Mike Evans didn't get a TD, he has been a great player for us. To celebrate, decided to get a small memento from the Bucs shop. The game programme was available with limited numbers, so ordered one. Original price was $18, but with shipping/tax/etc that total was $55. Worth it.

Felt a tad sorry for Mahomes as he put it a great individual performance but the Bucs defence were immense.

Roll on SB LVI.

Yes I remember Mike Evan’s on hard knocks a few years back talking with desean Jackson about trying to get to the Super Bowl. Glad to see that he won it as he has been one of the bucs best players for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Congrats Todd Bowles Super Bowl MVP to the disgust of Jets fans
    So, how triggered are the Jets fans then tonight?

Ah I missed these two last night, I'm delighted for Bowles and young Steve Mclendon and the sentiment seems to be the same from most of the other Jets fans I know. I
    I've watched a good few Bucs games this year and watching Bowles defense was the best part of it.
    He'll definitely be back in the HC talk next year, but he will need to have made big changes if he's going to succeed next time around.
    Also nice to see that even after a 2 win season and on the night of the biggest game of the year the Jets are still at the forefront of Pats fans minds:D

Patriot Way. Brady Way

There is absolutely nothing Mahomes can do when his offence cannot protect him nor can they catch his passes.

There is absolutely nothing Mahomes can do when his defence gives up 120 yards in really stupid penalties. To put it into context...Brady had 200 yards passing and The Buccs had 150 yards rushing.

Mahomes gave his team ample chances to establish a foothold (no toehold jokes) in the game, they didn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭cena

It was a boring Superbowl this time. Anyways congrats to Tampa

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Oat23 wrote: »
    There's no hate. I'm just stating the facts. You say they barely knew each other, but while Brady won't publicly acknowledge his support of Trump's politics he said he 'supports him as a friend'. I don't know about you, but I don't consider people I barely know 'friends'. And if they barely know each other he would have no problem making it clear that he doesn't support him in any way.

Being a 1%'er, he probably voted for his friend. Twice.

You've a lot of built up hate there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    You've a lot of built up hate there.

It doesn't matter how many times you Brady brown nosers say it..there isn't any hate. I am too busy to hate everyone who supports a racist like Donald Trump. I'm not going to sit idle as someone uses his on-field success to say he's a 'likeable guy', though. He isn't. He has shown multiple times he can be a complete a*sehole.

He goes into the same category as the likes of Brees, and as a Bears fan, Urlacher, Ditka and Cutler. Players/coaches I used to like but no longer have any respect for due to their questionable/outright disgusting (in Ditka's case anyway) characters off the field.

Brady cemented his legacy last night by beating the kid everyone had been crowning. Fair play. What he's doing at his age defies everything we've previously seen from other athletes. That doesn't mean we all have to worship every aspect of his life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There is absolutely nothing Mahomes can do when his offence cannot protect him nor can they catch his passes.

There is absolutely nothing Mahomes can do when his defence gives up 120 yards in really stupid penalties. To put it into context...Brady had 200 yards passing and The Buccs had 150 yards rushing.

Mahomes gave his team ample chances to establish a foothold (no toehold jokes) in the game, they didn't take it.

There was bit of a failure of coaching on the chiefs sideline as well, they didn't really adjust to what Tampa were doing. Its a bit simplistic to say his offense can't protect him and catch his passes.

Throwing it into coverage over and over again is never going to yield great results. I think they could have ran the ball a bit more to give Tampa something to think about, maybe force them to bring a safety down into the box to help.

It wasn't Mahomes best game either to be honest, I wouldn't give him a complete pass either, though there was obviously reasons why he wasn't able to perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

He has been a friend of Trump's for almost 20 years. The fact he keeps company like that says a lot about him. Donald Trump didn't suddenly become an a*sehole in 2016. He has always been one.

Muhammad Ali was a member of the FOI who believed white men were blue eyed devils. No one seems to mention that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

It doesn't matter how many times you Brady brown nosers say it..there isn't any hate. I am too busy to hate everyone who supports a racist like Donald Trump. I'm not going to sit idle as someone uses his on-field success to say he's a 'likeable guy', though. He isn't. He has shown multiple times he can be a complete a*sehole.

Lol...
    "There isn't any hate, now let me tell you why he's a dick...." Nice try...

Gisele actually came out a couple years back to say that Brady has never and would never vote for Trump, Tom quickly tried to sweep those comments under the rug.
    I suspect Tom probably has some sort of connections from his TB12 business point of view that he didn't want to come out publicly anti-trump on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Arduach wrote: »
    Muhammad Ali was a member of the FOI who believed white men were blue eyed devils. No one seems to mention that today.

Lets keep the conversation relevant to American Football and yesterdays game please.

• Advertisement

He goes into the same category as the likes of Brees, and as a Bears fan, Urlacher, Ditka and Cutler. Players/coaches I used to like but no longer have any respect for due to their questionable/outright disgusting (in Ditka's case anyway) characters off the field.

Brady cemented his legacy last night by beating the kid everyone had been crowning. Fair play. What he's doing at his age defies everything we've previously seen from other athletes. That doesn't mean we all have to worship every aspect of his life.

You'd swear you knew Brady personally. None of us know one way or the other.

Gisele is one who can say. People who have had personal dealings with him. You just have remote tv dislike without really knowing someone. Confirmation bias has creeped in.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Lets keep the conversation relevant to American Football and yesterdays game please.

I was trying to make a comparison of how a star QB is painted in a poor light for supporting Trump.

While another star athlete gets a free pass for much worse.

Arduach Please don't post in this thread again, any questions via PM only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Did I just come in to the politics forum or something. I was sure it was the Superbowl thread

Anyway well done to Tampa watched the game this morning. Thought it was an okay game had not seen much of the season this year.

Brady has cemented his position anyway in the history whatever he is like off the pitch he is some player

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Arduach wrote: »
    You'd swear you knew Brady personally. None of us know one way or the other.

Gisele is one who can say. People who have had personal dealings with him. You just have remote tv dislike without really knowing someone. Confirmation bias has creeped in.

Brady is some player but he does come off a quiet a bit of a d$%k in fairness whatever about his connections to anyone. He does seem like a person who would do anything to get what he want. I like him as a player would not like to know him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd say you are probably projecting on to him then really.

The man as a teammate and as a leader has practically unanimous acclaim from coaches and teammates etc.

Hardest worker in the room and sets and demands high standard of himself and others.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Mahomes was badly let down by Kelce, Hill and his Offensive line. He made some unbelievable throws on the run that should have been caught, he did his best and never stopped trying, but if the whole team is shítting the bed around you there is nothing you can do. Buccs won it handy, the Chiefs never got going, it was a bit of an anticlimax, but well done to Brady and the Buccs, Gronk, Fournette and Brown all played an important role in the match along with their awesome pass rush who hounded Mahomes all night long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’ve never heard bad publicity on Brady. He seems quite humble for what he has achieved, and he always shifts praise to the team and organisation.
    Sure on the bbc last night, Osi compared him to Michael Jordan on them being the 2 biggest superstars he had ever met, one was an are€hole to him, they other was sound. You wouldn’t need to be Sherlock to pick who you as the sound one.

Mahomes was let down, for sure. The Monday morning quarterback in me is examining more then thoughts I had during the game, why didn't they change it up even in the second half when it was apparent the Dline were absolutely bullying them.

Screens, quick throws, dumps, runs etc because the looking for the huge play so often just wasn't working and scrambling around when you have no protection and are carrying a toe surely wasn't the best they could have come up with for a game plan.

They needed to adjust and they didn't. I think it's a game a lot of them and Reid included will look back on with plenty of regrets but if they can keep the core of that team together you wouldn't be surprised to see them back next year such is the talent they have on offence

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I’ve never heard bad publicity on Brady. He seems quite humble for what he has achieved, and he always shifts praise to the team and organisation.
    Sure on the bbc last night, Osi compared him to Michael Jordan on them being the 2 biggest superstars he had ever met, one was an are€hole to him, they other was sound. You wouldn’t need to be Sherlock to pick who you as the sound one.

And Osi is not even a Brady fan :)

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Mahomes was badly let down by Kelce, Hill and his Offensive line. He made some unbelievable throws on the run that should have been caught, he did his best and never stopped trying, but if the whole team is shítting the bed around you there is nothing you can do. Buccs won it handy, the Chiefs never got going, it was a bit of an anticlimax, but well done to Brady and the Buccs, Gronk, Fournette and Brown all played an important role in the match along with their awesome pass rush who hounded Mahomes all night long.

Kelce was pretty good overall. He had 10 catches for 133 yards, can't ask for much more than that. A few drops but he certainly didn't let anyone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think ultimately the Chiefs didn't really do enough to support their backup tackles. Early on they tried to go with a quick passing game but once they got behind that all went out the window, they should have kept a TE or RB back to help with pass blocking but I guess hindsight is 20/20

I didn't really understand people who said the chiefs were going to win in a blowout. it was obvious that Tampa had an advantage in the trenches on both sides of the ball, they would be able to pressure Mahomes and be able to protect Brady.

Also apart from the AFC championship game they hadn't really played all that well or blew teams away. They struggled against fairly mediocre team and defensively they even struggled to stop the Browns moving the ball up and down the field.

Pair that with Tampa having the experience of the first day and they were never getting beaten with a load of deep passes and Brady was more than capable of picking apart the Chiefs secondary.

The scary thing about this is Tampa will probably be better next year as they really only got things figured out in December next year.

From KC perspective it is a missed opportunity but they had a QB carrying an injury and no one really on the offensive line so they were always going to struggle and if the offense is not putting up points they are not built to win a defensive battle. It's not the end of the world, they will be competitive for many years to come.

I was probably the most vocal person believing that there was a good chance that the Chiefs would win this convincingly, so I'm guessing this was somewhat aimed at me.

Four things I didn't believe would happen, happened last night:
    - Mahomes being injured so much that it seemed to change their gameplan
    - All Chiefs' skill players being incredibly poor (very rare)
    - Refs putting themselves in the middle of the Super Bowl by throwing loads of flags (very rare)
    - Poor Reid play calling (very rare these days)

I still feel if 3 of those 4 things happen Chiefs could have won that game, 2 of 4 Chiefs very likely win, and 1 or none of the 4 happen it ends up being a convincing Chiefs' victory.

It is possible that Tampa could be better again next year but there are a lot of players hitting FA and not much space to work with. Maybe they start to get some Patriot's like team friendly deals but there is a good chance that guys will want to get paid now after getting a ring.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Few points on the game last night.

Chiefs shat the bed. They were poor in almost every position. Sure the OL was impacted by injuries, but that is no reason for their punter to have a mare. Of for Kelcee to drop passes, or Hill to be almost totally ineffectual.

Their defence made a great goal-line stand, that should have lifted the entire team and got the offence moving, but they ended up punting and the Bucs got their TD anyway. All it did was delay the score.

They failed to keep Brady out just before HT. Crucial. Calling that Time out was insane. They obviously felt they could get the ball back and score, but the previous 29 minutes of football should have shown that even if they got the ball back, the chance of then scoring was remote and so the better option was to stop the Bucs from taking advantage of the momentum. Hubris, pure and simple.

Mahomes, as great an entertainer and talent that he is, failed to drive his team when it needed him the most. Yes, the rest of the team played badly, but that is when great players really make the difference. They adapt and take what they can get. Brady has built his entire career on that. Instead, Mahomes was always looking for the great play, the highlight reel. (I am not suggesting he was doing to for himself btw). What he needed, what the team needed, was a steady hand, a series of 5 yard passes. They managed it a few times to move down the field but then would not be able to get it done. And Mahomes would run 20 years backwards trying to eek out the TD pass when a quick 3 or 4 yard dump would have kept the Bucs guessing.

No doubt Mahomes will learn from this, he certainly learned from the last time Brady beat him in the AFC game.

My feeling as that the Bucs knew they had to play the game of their lives to have a chance. KC seems to think they just needed to turn up.

Very disappointing from KC, a massive missed opportunity to repeat.

Strongly disagree with this. What Mahomes was doing was adapting to what he could get, despite being on basically one foot. The short passing game wasn't working and once the Buccs got their lead their defense could pin their ears back and attack while not having to blitz due to the backup OL. Despite that he repeatedly threw passes from under incredible pressure that hit the hands and face of his receivers but they dropped them again and again. Switch the QBs and Brady would have been killed out there.

It's great. The Belichick argument is gone. The AFC East argument is gone. What now? Oh well, he supported Trump...and...and....Devin White and that defence...and...and....

I don't really see it as ever being a 'Belichick' argument, it was more a general argument that superior coaching, supporting players, and general set up put him in a position to succeed - which was exactly the case last night.

You could put something like 10 to 20 other QBs from around the league in as the Buccs QB and give them that game script as last night, asking them to make those same throws, and they'd win that game - some in an even more convincing manner.

To put it in context, the opposing team in his last two Super Bowl wins have scored a combined 12 points - Brady doesn't play defense.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I was probably the most vocal person believing that there was a good chance that the Chiefs would win this convincingly, so I'm guessing this was somewhat aimed at me.

Four things I didn't believe would happen, happened last night:
    - Mahomes being injured so much that it seemed to change their gameplan
    - All Chiefs' skill players being incredibly poor (very rare)
    - Refs putting themselves in the middle of the Super Bowl by throwing loads of flags (very rare)
    - Poor Reid play calling (very rare these days)

I still feel if 3 of those 4 things happen Chiefs could have won that game, 2 of 4 Chiefs very likely win, and 1 or none of the 4 happen it ends up being a convincing Chiefs' victory.

It is possible that Tampa could be better again next year but there are a lot of players hitting FA and not much space to work with. Maybe they start to get some Patriot's like team friendly deals but there is a good chance that guys will want to get paid now after getting a ring.

It wasn't really aimed at anyone, just my thoughts on the game and how it went.

I did disagree when you said that the areas the Buccs had an advantage weren't that important, but overall the narrative that KC were going to blow out the Buccs seemed to be based on the AFC championship game but seemed to ignore all the other games KC played since around week 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I dont understand how anyone could put an ounce of blame on Mahomes for last night.
    The Bucs D were phenominal - personally I thought Devin White was the MVP.

Mahomes was getting beat up like hell all game, but only gave up a couple of sacks.
    He hit 2 receivers in the face in the end zone, one while laying out horizontally, and neither hauled it in.
    For all the talk about his foot, he extended plays brilliantly and ran the ball better than the backs... I think the only let downs for them last night were unhealthy Oline, dropped passes and some bad play calls.

You cant blame Hill for being schemed out of the game for the most part, or the backs for being unable to get traction vs the best run D in the league. They needed the receivers to catch that balls that did hit them and they needed better schemes to open things up.

Like why didn't they have a 2 back set so that they could chip the rushers to open up the deeper routes before releasing underneath, why did they call that timeout at the end of the 1st half giving Bucs time to score, why didn't they bring more inside pass rush against Brady...

There is a lot of questions going around about their performance, but none of them should be about Mahomes or how he played.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Has there been much talk about how the officials handled the game and applied the rules. Would the consensus be that they were fair to both team or do Kansas City have any grounds to feel hard done by with some of the calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

tanko wrote: »
    Has there been much talk about how the officials handled the game and applied the rules. Would the consensus be that they were fair to both team or do Kansas City have any grounds to feel hard done by with some of the calls?

I thought the PI calls were fair, they had their hands all over the Buccs WR's. They should have adjusted when they started getting called, but failed to do so!

Probably in the superbowl there is an expectation that a lot of these penalties are not called unless they are very obvious calls. Anything borderline would usually not be called in the superbowl.

I though most of the calls were ok. One critical one was for lining up offside, there were a few pass interference penalties which I thought were ok.

The holding call that pulled back a Brady interception probably shouldn't have been called, seemed like one they could have let go.

• Advertisement

Kansas have no reason whatsoever to feel aggrieved, in my humblest.

Buccs definitely did get away with some infractions in the second half though.

Advertisement