Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

salmocab wrote: »
    Just on Aussie TV I recently rewatched anzacs it’s on YouTube. Very enjoyable world war 1 drama following men from when they enlist to getting home through Gallipoli, France and Belgium. Also shows some of the political carry on both in Australia and England. 5 episodes each over an hour long so well fleshed out. Paul hogan plays one of the main characters.

The Aussies did some epic mini-series in the 80s.
    I have hazy flashes of...
    Return To Eden
    A Town Like Alice
    The Heroes
    Under Capricorn
    Bodyline

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Anyone remember Twizzle. It was pretty meh as 60s TV went but the idea has stuck with me. So much so that if something was too high to reach or a ball was just too far to catch, I'd say "Who dya think I am Twizzle?", which would invariably produce the response "Who the F is Twizzle?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Return To Eden
    A Town Like Alice
    The Heroes
    Under Capricorn
    Bodyline

Return To Eden was great fun. A three part mini series and then a full 22 episode series the year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Return To Eden
    A Town Like Alice
    The Heroes
    Under Capricorn
    Bodyline

A few more.
    The Dirtwater Dynasty.
    Vietnam.
    Fields Of Fire.
    The Cowra Breakout.
    Brides Of Christ (starred Brenda Fricker)

These were two of my favs which both used to creep me out a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Return To Eden
    A Town Like Alice
    The Heroes
    Under Capricorn
    Bodyline

They're still at it and RTE have been picking them up again. 'The Secrets She Keeps' was fairly good, and they've something on now about bridesmaids.

Tarrant on TV, a show where Chris Tarrant would show funny and hard hitting adverts from around the world

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Tarrant on TV, a show where Chris Tarrant would show funny and hard hitting adverts from around the world
    Remember every week he would show clips from this Japanese endurance contest? It was considered quite extreme at the time but looking back now I'm A Celebrity makes it look tame in comparison.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Remember every week he would show clips from this Japanese endurance contest? It was considered quite extreme at the time but looking back now I'm A Celebrity makes it look tame in comparison.

Were they clips from Takeshi’s Castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Were they clips from Takeshi’s Castle?
    No I think it was like an early version of I'm A Celeb. The contestants would have to do challenges with insects and snakes and things. I don't think they did bushtucker trials like actually eating things though.

They might have shown clips of Takeshi too. I can't be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah, that was a good one. Before the internet was a thing, it showed adverts and clips from Television shows you would never see anywhere else

Cilve James presented the show before Tarrant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...on_Television

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

As a horny teen I remember watching Eurotrash and some other adult programme which involved a court ala judge judy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Good story I heard on BBC Radio 2 this weekend.

Alison Grade was a pupil at a boarding school in the UK during the early eighties.
    They had a computer lab, and one of the girls discovered that one of the PC's was also a TV.
    They gathered to watch a new Australian soap then shown at lunchtime on BBC 1, which grew to a large midday viewership in the school as word got round.

Alison told her dad about the popularity of the programme. He happened to be Michael Grade, then head of BBC 1 and realised that repeating the programme in the early evening would bring in more young viewers.

So "Neighbours" was repeated in the early evening.. which gained a viwership larger than the population of Australia, and led to Jason Donovan and of course Kylie Minogue.

Always enjoyed some the old cop shows

and the earlier ones of

One of actors from the Bill used to drink in wife's uncle's pub - he was like a leach trying to talk to people " Hello I'm PC XXXXX in the Bill" - never saw him do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Purgative wrote: »

There were three volumes of 1970s Dixon of Dock Green released on DVD over the last few years. All the surviving colour episodes ending with the 1976 series. Pretty grim stuff, downbeat, unhappy endings and miles away from the cosy image it sometimes seems to have. Great footage of long-gone London docklands too.

Z-Cars very entertaining too

Love The Bill. Started as a 50 minute programme for three series, then went to 25 minutes episodes in late 80s (loads of them) and back to 50 minutes later in the 90s. Seriously good in the early years.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Vague memories of this Car 54 Where are You

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

At the weekend I finished watching The Devils Crown. Late 70's BBC mini series charting the lives of Henry II and his two sons Richard the Lionheart and John.

Just to note it was made during a time of economic turmoil in the UK and the BBC was effectively broke, so the production values are at times a little patchy.

But overall very enjoyable. Stars a young Brian Cox as Henry II

ShyMets wrote: »
    At the weekend I finished watching The Devils Crown. Late 70's BBC mini series charting the lives of Henry II and his two sons Richard the Lionheart and John.

Just to note it was made during a time of economic turmoil in the UK and the BBC was effectively broke, so the production values are at times a little patchy.

But overall very enjoyable. Stars a young Brian Cox as Henry II

Remember that it was still the norm to have studio-bound drama in the 1970's.
    Nowadays the audience woudn't stand for it but it's rather a pity that they are not made any more. There was great skill involved in directing up to five cameras, all of which had each track and shot planned and executed faultlessly.
    Think of I, Claudius as an example.

I'd forgotten I Clavdivs. Great story, great acting.

If you are a nerd for old television, watch this affectionate send up of the techniques of TV drama in the old days from Paul Whitehouse and Harry Enfiled in their spoof documentary "The Story Of The Twos"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Dempsey and Makepeace. I'm just going to throw it out there but Glynis Barber was very easy on the eye

Always watched this in the year oh dot

Little while back, met someone I used to work with ages ago, she said "All the girls thought you looked like Like Collins."

I said "Now you tell me, now - although I probably do now (RIP)"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Always watched this in the year oh dot

Little while back, met someone I used to work with ages ago, she said "All the girls thought you looked like Like Collins."

I said "Now you tell me, now - although I probably do now (RIP)"

Lewis collins was absolutely gorgeous.

Lewis collins was absolutely gorgeous.

Sadly not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Dempsey and Makepeace... Glynis Barber was very easy on the eye

Still is. In my humble yet accurate opinion

20210205-142025-copy-315x452.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dempsey and Makepeace. I'm just going to throw it out there but Glynis Barber was very easy on the eye

I saw that on some station recently while channel-hopping, so someone is still showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

RTE showed a drama (not sure if it was a mini series or one off) called Raic in 1985. It was mostly in Irish and set in the West of Ireland during the Emergency. Anyway the only bit about it that really sticks in my mind was the opening scene where a German mine is washed up on the shore and the locals, who dont seem to know what it is, all gather around and start rolling it up the beach. You see a close up of one of those spike things on the mine as it touches the ground and theres a massive explosion. Next you see body parts all strewn all over the beach and an old woman who's still alive screaming.

Hangdogroad that does intrigue me.

Sadly couldn't find it on RTE player and IMDB has rather scant details.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1890514/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

All seen on our one channel black and white TV

US cowboy programmes were a big hit in the 1970's in our house
    The High Chaparral
    Bonanza
    Alias Smith and Jones

Irish programmes
    The Riordans
    Halls Pictorial Weekly
    The Spike (until it was taken off the air amidst nude scene controversy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mid to late 90s "High tech, spy tech" drama Bugs on the BBC on Saturday nights.

Advertisement