Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Irish Products, Shops and Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I drink Lyons Tea, but when I found out it’s about as Irish as Marmite, I tried switching to Barry’s Tea ( which is an Irish owned brand whereas Lyons is owned by UniLever), but I just couldn’t stomach it and had to switch back to Lyons.....

Don't worry Barry's will eventually sell out to some supermassive international conglohommerate so their former owners can live a carefree life in a big house with a brand new black mercedes parked outside the door

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Dingle Gin is a cracker
    Ballymaloe relish lovely
    Clonakility black pudding & sausages are very tasty - slow cook both at a medium temperature
    Kilmeaden extra mature red is a beautiful everyday cheese
    Powers whiskey is the nicest on the market imo
    Kinnegar have some lovely beers

We are definitely blessed for food & drink products
    There are much nicer alternatives- Big Red Kitchen, Pollocks Pickles etc. and as a bonus you are not giving your money to criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Lyons is clearly the superior tea.

Anyone who drinks Barry's should be put on some type of public register, so the rest of us know to avoid them.

I drink Lyons Tea, but when I found out it’s about as Irish as Marmite, I tried switching to Barry’s Tea ( which is an Irish owned brand whereas Lyons is owned by UniLever), but I just couldn’t stomach it and had to switch back to Lyons.....
    Years of drinking horrible Lyons tea has killed off your tastebuds :P

jay1988 wrote: »

Anyone who drinks Barry's should be put on some type of public register, so the rest of us know to avoid them.
    Lyons drinkers should be thrown to the lions :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There are much nicer alternatives- Big Red Kitchen, Pollocks Pickles etc. and as a bonus you are not giving your money to criminals.

And darlings of Irish media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

jay1988 wrote: »

Lyons is pish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Considering the news that freight is being stopped between France and the UK. It looks like the expected impact of the end of the transition period is coming a little earlier than expected with that in mind, I was wondering what everyone's favourite Irish products and brands are. We may all be looking for alternatives to UK brands so good to find Irish or EU alternatives.

I'll go first.

Jacobs for biscuits and some chocolates.
    Bachelors for tinned foods.
    Keoghs for crisps.
    Vit Hit for drinks.
    Barrys and Lyons for Tea.
    Odlums for flour.
    O'Neils for sportswear.

The tough area that I can see for the products I typically use will be things like body wash, chocolate bars and some vitamins. Typically get the shopping delivered from Tesco and buy some of the Tesco brands. May have to switch to Supervalu unless Tesco keep prices down or get the stock direct to Ireland. Most of their fruit, veg and other stuff we'd buy from them comes through the UK but is imported from elsewhere.

What say yee?

Sorry Wompa, we rely so heavily on out imported food too.. cheaper to produce abroad.

I heard on the radio there recently that most chocolate in the "Irish" chocolate ranges sold are also imported in bulk from mainland Europe apart from a few small producers. Very surprised to hear this.

Jacobs for biscuits and some chocolates. - moved production to Poland some years ago, Jacobs site is now an Amazon data centre.
    Bachelors for tinned foods. - UK company, haven't heard of any Irish farmers supplying ingredients for their products.
    Keoghs for crisps. - They import spuds by the truck load from the UK. Grow a small amount of spuds here.
    Vit Hit for drinks.
    Barrys and Lyons for Tea. They are distributors and their product all needs to be imported.
    Odlums for flour. - Import their flour in bulk containers from the UK, no Irish flour used.
    O'Neils for sportswear. - Products all made outside Ireland for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Can't beat real butter. Kerrygold. I read recently that it's so well liked in parts of the USA that they actually tried to ban it from certain states and people were smuggling it across state lines to put in their coffee would you believe.
    https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/food-drink/kerrygold-butter-wisconsin-legal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Dis is wha I'd imagine a Guaranteed Oirish Ballymagash tread to be like from da 1970s.

It's nearly 2021 and very little on the supermarket shelves is truly Irish, even back in the 70s, much of the "Guaranteed Irish" consumables wearnt totally Irish, Fiat cars comes to mind :)

Britain has just been reminded that anything truly "British" is probably not British at all, even if people still want to believe so. Supply chains, consumables & ingredients all crossing borders to make a "British" product, or an Irish product.

• Advertisement

NcdJd wrote: »
    Sorry Wompa, we rely so heavily on out imported food too.. cheaper to produce abroad.

I heard on the radio there recently that most chocolate in the "Irish" chocolate ranges sold are also imported in bulk from mainland Europe apart from a few small producers. Very surprised to hear this.

Jacobs for biscuits and some chocolates. - moved production to Poland some years ago, Jacobs site is now an Amazon data centre.
    Bachelors for tinned foods. - UK company, haven't heard of any Irish farmers supplying ingredients for their products.
    Keoghs for crisps. - They import spuds by the truck load from the UK. Grow a small amount of spuds here.
    Vit Hit for drinks.
    Barrys and Lyons for Tea. They are distributors and their product all needs to be imported.
    Odlums for flour. - Import their flour in bulk containers from the UK, no Irish flour used.
    O'Neils for sportswear. - Products all made outside Ireland for peanuts.
    Locally owned companies could be a rarity soon unfortunately. Big parent companies are buying everyone up or else undercutting them and putting them out of business.
    It is amazing when you start to dig a bit and find out how many famous brands, even rival brands, are owned by the same parent company or conglomerate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

King Crisps
    Tayto Crisps
    Hunky Dorys

All owned by Largo foods a NI based company, who in turn are owned by German company Intersnack.

Intersnack also make Hula Hoops & McCoy’s crisps

Edit: I don’t think Largo are NI based..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Don't worry Barry's will eventually sell out to some supermassive international conglohommerate so their former owners can live a carefree life in a big house with a brand new black mercedes parked outside the door

Peter Barry is dead 4 years now.
    His kids are well taken care of, Deirdre Clune is a sitting MEP. There’s not a lack of Mercedes in front of any of their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Murphy’s
    Cadbury Dairy Milk 8 square bars
    Irish milk
    Irish porridge
    Irish sausages and bacon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Local farmers markets would be a good start, also aldi and supervalu are good at promotimg Irish food producers
    Local butcher and fishmonger... Dalys seafood have a number of shops around the county
    O donnells crips, tatyo crips,
    Jennys little kitchen.. gluten free cafe in nenagh will delivery baking mix packs for scones etc nationwide.
    Bradys ham, carroll meats
    Fitzgerald family bakery for waps etc.
    Flavhens.. now have expanded to breakfast bars etc, think the Kavenagh brand in aldi is nothern Irish but not sure
    Loads of cheese makers
    Anything that falls under Glanbia family, Avenmore, Kilmeden, wexford creamary.
    Glenisk yogurt & Irish yogurts from west cork
    Green Isle froozen foods
    Loads of craft bears, whiskey & gins (dingel gin im looking at you) now made here,
    Ri na Mara skincare, mam swears by it as she has v sensitive skin.
    Handmade soap company
    P&G cards an stationary over Hallmark...Can be found in Dunnes stores, centra, supervalu

Irish retailers would include lifestyle sports, cummins sport, bourke sport, gym plus coffee, easons, Quigleys cafe and bakery, carrig donn, shaws (i wish they would sort out the local store here and develop a proper website)
    Since we are still in lockdown for anyone wishing to send flowers for birthdays, mother days etc think of your local florist... after planning a wedding was hard to find a local one.. supermarkets esp the like of aldi and lidl have really hit them hard over the last few years

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Anyone have good recommendations for Irish soap, body wash, scented candles and vitamins?
    Your local health shop esp the independent ones would be a good place to look
    Vitamins would be Sona found in most chemist, also Macanta nutritan (made in Balinsloe) mostly found in health stores. Beeline nurtition in most supermarkets
    As for Irish Soaps, body washes scented candle check out your local Carrig Donn, kilkenny shop or websites for suggesstion, other Irish skin care could be Ri Na Mara, Kinavra, The handmade soap company, Elave skincare, Voya..we have a lot of seaweed based skincare here which are great for sensitive skin issues,

Scented candles would include The Irish Chandler from the burren, the handmade soap company, Brookfield Farm, Brooke & Shoal, The Happy Candle company.

Avoid any influncer products...a lot is white label for china just repackaged...was waiting a chemist recently and had a browse small print on one irish influncer brand stated made in china

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm surprised Club Orange has never been marketed abroad.

Anyone with properly functioning tastebuds knows it's far superior to Fanta

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Tis no Paddy

Thanks god, who in the name of jaysus drinks Paddy?

Obviously, the correct answer is Redbreast but Powers is the best of the entry level stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Scented candles would include The Irish Chandler from the burren, the handmade soap company, Brookfield Farm, Brooke & Shoal, The Happy Candle company.

Rathbornes in Dublin have been making Candles since the 1400s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Kudos has to be given to O’Neills.. in a world of nike, adidas and the like nearly every man, woman and child in ireland has something if not dozens of items from O’Neills clothes in the house, I’d buy it as quick for the kids as any other brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sudocrem,

best irish creation ever

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I'm surprised Club Orange has never been marketed abroad.

Anyone with properly functioning tastebuds knows it's far superior to Fanta

100% . A captin morgans with club orange as a mixture 😋
    One

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Wicklow Wolf do some really nice beers. I tried another one called 12 Acres recently from Lidl. I think it was brewed in Co.Laois. It was really really good. O'Hara's Helles Lager and Pale ale is good stuff, as is Chieftain Pale ale from Franciscan Well Brewery in Cork. From my native Limerick the Treaty City beers are definitely worth a try. I'm also partial to a nice pint of Kilkenny ale although it's made in Dublin by Diageo now.

For whiskeys i quite like Connemara peat smoked whiskey from the Kilbeggan distillery. The Teelings range of whiskeys are quality also. Knappogue Castle 12yo Single Malt went down really well with a pint of creamy Guinness in Joe Watty's in Inis Mór a couple of years ago. The Lambay Distillery range is the next one on my list to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭LeBash

McGraths original tea from Aldi. Made in Robert and Roberts apparently. Nice tea out there imho.

Not mad on the gold blend though.

One Irish company I cannot take to at all is Spotlight dental products. Pricey enough no wonder though as they send some amount of products out to influencers.. i wonder how legal is the pushing of the teethwhiting products are too considering most influncers have had their whitening, bonding etc professionally done

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Sudocrem the best thing for a sore arse whether you're 8 months or 80.
    Galtee Sausages..dont know if they changed the recipe but I'm mad about them lately.
    It's hard to go back to a packet of Walkers once you've ate O'Donnells crisps,especially the ballymaloe relish ones I'd ate my fingers after them.
    Kerrygold butter.
    Dingle Gin.

For candles/soaps...Milis have lovely candles and soap by Cleo(kildare based) does a range of lovely soap and shampoo bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

everything in the homestead range, it brings value home

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Supermacs.

We have some brilliant growers and producers of rapseed oil here in Ireland and can be commonly found in all supermarkets

Also coffee roasters is another bussiness that taking off in Ireland. A number of them around the country, Badger &Dodo in Fermoy, The old Barrick in Birdhill. As well as buying direct, often can buy bags of their coffee in independent coffee shops around the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭pgj2015

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Supermacs.

Its pure crap.

Advertisement