Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your weekly serving of "happy": The Late Late Show - Friday 29th January 2021.

Options
  • 28-01-2021 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

With thanks to generalgerry on the radio show thread for this week's rundown.

And you'll be fairly rundown after...
    Author and women's health advocate Vicky Phelan, who has just undergone her first week of experimental cancer treatment in Maryland, will give an update on her progress on Friday night's Late Late Show.

...CANCER!
    RTÉ's Northern Editor Tommie Gorman will join Ryan Tubridy to discuss Covid-19 and the border issue. He will also recall significant moments from his forty years delivering news reports for RTÉ.

...CANTEEN CANCER!
    Shane Carthy was a Dublin football prodigy and a highly-skilled midfielder who was called up by Jim Gavin to become a member of the senior team at the age of 18. Since his 5th year in school, Shane had been battling with his mental health and experiencing suicidal thoughts. The footballer will speak to Tubridy about how he got through deeply troubling days.

...and MENTAL ELF.

Tommy Tiernan on the bus comes to mind. Not to worry, Tubridy will enjoy it, and that's all that matters.

The puppehs and kittehs have their work cut out for them this week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭TheDavester

It would cheaper and less depressing, for RTE just to show recordings of funerals at this stage on Friday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

I've had it with the Late Late show now after seeing tonight's line-up - total lack of entertainment for a Friday night show as usual. I like Vicky Phelan but she now has a Facebook page set up with updates of her time in US if people want to know.

It needs a major shake-up with a new presenter and better guests.
    Where are all the comedians, actors, musicians, creative people, many of whom are out of work at the moment. Lots of inspirational stories out there from people (not misery stories) if the producers could be bothered looking. Such a pity as it's a prime slot being wasted.

I actually sent an email to the late late email with comments and suggestions and got the following automated response:

"Thanks for emailing.
    If you have a suggestion for The Late Late Show or Questions about the current Coronavirus situation in Ireland please outline your proposal/query and our research team will review your suggestion for discussion on the programme. "

The last thing we want is more Covid on a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Come for the cancer, stay for the suicide

It's beyond a joke at this stage

Especially when he stands up and tells us how the Late Late Show is here to entertain and keep our spirits up at this difficult time, and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 72,152 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

WindyBogusGlowworm-size_restricted.gif

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Wasnt Phelan only on the other week? Ah jaysus i find her insufferable. Of course id like her to recover and good luck to her, but as the others have said, she has a Facebook page if interested. Pushing this one on us over and over is torture. Id go to the pub instead but... yknow

Some new music or something, ANYTHING other than words that begin with C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I have said it before I cannot understand how Renault are sticking with this doom and gloom show, my other half would never let me say anything bad about the Late Late but now she is worse than me, she used to love it but like all of us cannot take anymore of the constant Covid etc , if this is happening around the Country they must be losing viewers. RTE look at Graham and Ross to see what entertainment is and not the rubbish you put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Skid X wrote: »
    Come for the cancer, stay for the suicide

It's beyond a joke at this stage

Especially when he stands up and tells us how the Late Late Show is here to entertain and keep our spirits up at this difficult time, and all that

I finally reached that point last week. We've been joking about the misery for years, maybe too used to it to really think how bonkers it is. But just look at the state of it!

Like, at absolute least, half the interviews every week are about suffering. Sometimes it's nearly every guest. I mean who actually wants to watch that? It's bizarre and mental.

Edit: And frankly, I'm getting really annoyed about it. I used to enjoy the show, but I'm not gonna spend Friday night watching people crying because their husband/parent/child died.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So this looks like such an entertaining show,

Wait for we have tes you guessed it,

Vicky Phelan again,
    Some Tommie Gorman lad,
    Shane Carthy,
    Some shanty sensation Nathon Evan's
    And Axa Community Hero's

Whatever than last 4 especially last two are about I have no idea.
    Who knows maybe it will be good.
    I missed last weeks one.

Edit: so I was not the first to post that's good. I think I will skip this muck tonight. Its time Tubridy and his back team were gone.i say get Graham Noton or Brendan O Connor or Tommy Tieran in to do to the late late show. They would all do a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

AMKC wrote: »
    i say get Graham Noton or Brendan O Connor or Tommy Tieran in to do to the late late show. They would all do a better job.

Tell me this is a joke.

• Advertisement

LennieB wrote: »
    I've had it with the Late Late show now after seeing tonight's line-up - total lack of entertainment for a Friday night show as usual. I like Vicky Phelan but she now has a Facebook page set up with updates of her time in US if people want to know.

It needs a major shake-up with a new presenter and better guests.
    Where are all the comedians, actors, musicians, creative people, many of whom are out of work at the moment. Lots of inspirational stories out there from people (not misery stories) if the producers could be bothered looking. Such a pity as it's a prime slot being wasted.

I actually sent an email to the late late email with comments and suggestions and got the following automated response:

"Thanks for emailing.
    If you have a suggestion for The Late Late Show or Questions about the current Coronavirus situation in Ireland please outline your proposal/query and our research team will review your suggestion for discussion on the programme. "

The last thing we want is more Covid on a Friday night.

It's just occurred to me, I cannot remember the last time I saw a comedian on the show I hadn't seen on it before.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I finally reached that point last week. We've been joking about the misery for years, maybe too used to it to really think how bonkers it is. But just look at the state of it!

Like, at absolute least, half the interviews every week are about suffering. Sometimes it's nearly every guest. I mean who actually wants to watch that? It's bizarre and mental.

Edit: And frankly, I'm getting really annoyed about it. I used to enjoy the show, but I'm not gonna spend Friday night watching people crying because their husband/parent/child died.

Spot on, amigo.

I may (for the first time in years) give the LLS a miss tonight. Even thinking about the Barry McGuigan interview is still making my blood boil!

ToppityPoppity followed by HippityHoppity on BBC Four.

Plus...

Bob Mortimer on ‘Would I Lie To You’! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,438 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'll pass tonight

Spot on, amigo.

I may (for the first time in years) give the LLS a miss tonight. Even thinking about the Barry McGuigan interview is still making my blood boil!

ToppityPoppity followed by HippityHoppity on BBC Four.

Plus...

Bob Mortimer on ‘Would I Lie To You’! :)

Yes! WILTY is must see when Bob's on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I may (for the first time in years) give the LLS a miss tonight.

Not even if we could drum up a few old timers to watch??......:D

Still keeping up standards I see with the kittehs and puppehs!....:)

Skid, on top form I see! ;)

"The Big C" my mother used to call it, not even allowed to say the word if a relative was diagnosed.

What could possibly cheer us up with a line-up like that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

"The Big C" my mother used to call it, not even allowed to say the word if a relative was diagnosed.

Hello GSW,

Think I’m going to watch Rebecca Martinsson on more4..... quite often I watch reruns of gogglebox.
    I find lls too sad.

All the puppehs n kittehs can’t help me

Lisha wrote: »
    Hello GSW,

Think I’m going to watch Rebecca Martinsson on ch4..... quite often I watch reruns of gogglebox.
    I find lls too sad.

All the puppehs n kittehs can’t help me

Lisha! How are you? It's a real miserable line-up tonight, the one time I have signal to see it! Hope the family are yourself are in good form!

Love the Gogglebox I have to say, though I have to turn off the spoilers as I tape stuff so much. Drop in and we can ignore the undoubted misery! Who's Rebecca M? x

Lisha! How are you? It's a real miserable line-up tonight, the one time I have signal to see it! Hope the family are yourself are in good form!

Love the Gogglebox I have to say, though I have to turn off the spoilers as I tape stuff so much. Drop in and we can ignore the undoubted misery! Who's Rebecca M? x

All is fab Grey, children are good but they miss people and hate homeschool... but we are lucky we don’t have any major problems so Covid will pass and some form of normality will return..

Rebecca M are kinda skandi noir type mysteries.... subtitled which I like as I have to concentrate.... it’s been a long week so I think a bottle of beer might magically open itself...

It would cheaper and less depressing, for RTE just to show recordings of funerals at this stage on Friday nights

Tubs presenting.. recalling their life before the cancer.. going on about the treatment.. narrating over the shots of their family..

Show opens with his big thick head to the side of the screen as the coffin is carried into the church..

Lisha wrote: »
    Rebecca M are kinda skandi noir type mysteries.... subtitled which I like as I have to concentrate.... it’s been a long week so I think a bottle of beer might magically open itself...

Sounds good! I'll give that a chance! I like those too. Subtitles don't bother me, Good to hear of new stuff.
    Great to hear you're all good, learning to live differently is quite the thing.....

Vino I think but I'm just bored with drinking....:eek: Who would've thunk??

• Advertisement

Sounds good! I'll give that a chance! I like those too. Subtitles don't bother me, Good to hear of new stuff.
    Great to hear you're all good, learning to live differently is quite the thing.....

Vino I think but I'm just bored with drinking....:eek: Who would've thunk??

Sounds like too much of a good thing gsw ... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Wishox

The only thing left good in the LL is boards ! :-)

Hi GSW, hope you are ok!

Ryan has finally broken me! :(

One misery p0rn interview too many make Welsh Megaman go something something!

At this stage, I’d gladly take a Jason Byrne interview! :eek:

And you know I don’t say that lightly!!

Hi GSW, hope you are ok!

Ryan has finally broken me! :(

One misery p0rn interview too many make Welsh Megaman go something something!

At this stage, I’d gladly take a Jason Byrne interview! :eek:

And you know I don’t say that lightly!!

Jason Byrne.............ah now...........that's very bad. I've missed most of it since forever, the dish blew down and couldn't get anyone to fix it so that was probably not a bad thing considering.....stay safe and maybe we'll get a bit of that live music vibe going in the summer......xxx gsw

Maybe I will count how many times Ryan says "cancer" tonight, the only way I want get through this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I was waiting on the second round of vaccines ..............maybe next week then

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This whole Vicky Phelan cancer saga/story is just beyond weird now.

I wasn’t going to say it, but seems like others are fed up to the tits as well

She comes across as a lovely person, but why are we being drip fed this journey?

It’s just weird!!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Wishox

Maybe I will count how many times Ryan says "cancer" tonight, the only way I want get through this :D

Or " I dont want to pry, but" Or " I dont want you to say anything you dont want to but can i ask you"

Little Weasel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭HBC08

Ol' Donie wrote: »

I have also reached that point,it's not even funny to poke fun at it anymore.It was the Barry Mcguigan interview that pushed me over the edge,THAT interview at the end of THAT particular misery fest.The whole thing is disgusting.
    I've no smart or witty comment to finish on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You can't show that, you run the risk of getting Joe Duffy too aroused

Advertisement