Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once you see people pleading you to do something

Options
  • 28-01-2021 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

I saw on TV Bill imploring people to get vaccinated.

Why would he bother? What's it got to do with him?

He's on telly all shifty eyed saying "there's no problem. I'm not trying to control you. That's all conspiracy nonsense and the vaccine is completely safe. Please just take it to save humanity"

:pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,227 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I saw on TV Bill imploring people to get vaccinated.

Why would he bother? What's it got to do with him?

He's on telly all shifty eyed saying "there's no problem. I'm not trying to control you. That's all conspiracy nonsense and the vaccine is completely safe. Please just take it to save humanity"

:pac::pac:
    Because there's a lot of people in the world who are afraid of getting the vaccine because they heard some silly conspiracy theory on the internet.
    People should get the vaccine and they shouldn't believe crap from anti science cranks, con artists and credulous repeaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Who is Bill and what’s the conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Who is Bill and what’s the conspiracy?

Bill Gates presumably. Now that Bill has received the vaccine Bill Gates now knows where Bill Gates is at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I am currently awaiting results. It’s certain to be positive as one of my toddlers tested positive. I implore people to get vaccinated rather than go through what I am at the moment, and I suspect my symptoms would be considered mild. It is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

King Mob wrote: »
    Because there's a lot of people in the world who are afraid of getting the vaccine because they heard some silly conspiracy theory on the internet.
    People should get the vaccine and they shouldn't believe crap from anti science cranks, con artists and credulous repeaters.

Who decides what is and isn't "science"?

btw I'm getting the vaccine

• Advertisement

Scientists by consensus. Not the opinions of someone who watched a couple of videos on facebook.

Scientists who get their findings peer reviewed and published in accredited journals and are backed up by reputable organisations.

Not rando youtube conspiracy theorists who don't actually know what vaccines are and who claim the vaccine contains secret nanotechnology that was predicted in the bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Scientists who get their findings peer reviewed and published in accredited journals and are backed up by reputable organisations.

Not rando youtube conspiracy theorists who don't actually know what vaccines are and who claim the vaccine contains secret nanotechnology that was predicted in the bible.

I remain neutral on the subject of vaccinations. The more credible information that there is to back it up the better and this includes valid concerns.

However, my question would be why is Bill Gates advocating vaccination use when he doesn't have a background in medicine or related scientific fields

His background is in computing.

He clearly has no experience or qualifications in the area and on this basis I feel it is reasonable that people should questions his motives. The same applies to anyone who doesn't have medical qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I remain neutral on the subject of vaccinations. The more credible information that there is to back it up the better and this includes valid concerns.

However, my question would be why is Bill Gates advocating vaccination use when he doesn't have a background in medicine or related scientific fields

He clearly has no experience or qualifications in the area and on this basis I feel it is reasonable that people should questions his motives. The same applies to anyone who doesn't have medical qualifications.

He seems to be doing more harm than good and giving fodder to the internet CS groups. Would be better to shut up and stay out of it.
    If you want to encourage uptake maybe get Taylor Swift and Big Arnie to do the advocating!

Bill has a lot of experience in vaccines. In particular the polio vaccine which has led to that disease being eradicated worldwide apart from india and pakistan.

• Advertisement

this includes valid concerns.
    Valid concerns such as...?

He clearly has no experience
    But this isn't true. He has experience. He's spend a good portion of his time and wealth to promote vaccination and has done a lot to help improve vaccine infrastructure.

This information is widely known and easily found.

Assuming that he has no experience simply because you only know him as a computer guy is a fallacy.

I feel it is reasonable that people should questions his motives. The same applies to anyone who doesn't have medical qualifications.
    What motives would he have?

Does this also extend to people who make conspiracy claims about the vaccine?

Valid concerns such as...?

But this isn't true. He has experience. He's spend a good portion of his time and wealth to promote vaccination and has done a lot to help improve vaccine infrastructure.

This information is widely known and easily found.

Assuming that he has no experience simply because you only know him as a computer guy is a fallacy.

What motives would he have?

Does this also extend to people who make conspiracy claims about the vaccine?

Valid concerns that may be raised as a result of any and all research into vaccines. Isn't that the point of testing and researching vaccines?

He may very well have promoted vaccines. My initial point was that he doesn't have a background, qualification or relevant/practical experience medicine, medical research or any related scientific field.

If he wants to act as a cheerleader for vaccines then that's fine. As long as people know that this and his donations is the limit of his involvement.

As to what his motives are, I have no idea what his motives are other than "promotion" as you suggest which is why I asked. Conspiracy theorists have their own motivations youll havr to ask them

Valid concerns that may be raised as a result of any and all research into vaccines. Isn't that the point of testing and researching vaccines?

He may very well have promoted vaccines. My initial point was that he doesn't have a background, qualification or relevant/practical experience medicine, medical research or any related scientific field.

If he wants to act as a cheerleader for vaccines then that's fine. As long as people know that this is the limit of his involvement.

As to what his motives are, I have no idea what his motives are other than "promotion" as you suggest which is why I asked

he has never claimed any medical qualifications so what is the issue?

Ok. Do you believe there are any valid concerns?

If he wants to act as a cheerleader for vaccines then that's fine. As long as people know that this and his donations is the limit of his involvement.
    But again, you're assuming this because of your passing knowledge that he's a computer guy.
    He has spent years being involved in the promotion of vaccines and developing vaccine infrastructure.
    Why is that experience not relevant in your view?

Why should his involvement be limited to donations only? Seems like he has a lot of managerial and promotional skills that could also be helpful.
    As to what his motives are, I have no idea what his motives are other than "promotion" as you suggest which is why I asked. Conspiracy theorists have their own motivations youll havr to ask them
    Ok. So it's reasonable for conspiracy theorists to claim things like he's part of a conspiracy to depopulate the planet?

You also didn't address my other question:
    Should we also extend this questioning of motives to people who make conspiracy claims about vaccines, like for instance Dr. Judy Mikovits'?

he has never claimed any medical qualifications so what is the issue?

Why he's given such prominence on a subject that he isnt qualified to speak so widely on.

Ok. Do you believe there are any valid concerns?

But again, you're assuming this because of your passing knowledge that he's a computer guy.
    He has spent years being involved in the promotion of vaccines and developing vaccine infrastructure.
    Why is that experience not relevant in your view?

Why should his involvement be limited to donations only? Seems like he has a lot of managerial and promotional skills that could also be helpful.

Ok. So it's reasonable for conspiracy theorists to claim things like he's part of a conspiracy to depopulate the planet?

You also didn't address my other question:
    Should we also extend this questioning of motives to people who make conspiracy claims about vaccines, like for instance Dr. Judy Mikovits'?

I have no idea if there are valid concerns or not. Are there?

I never said it was reasonable or unreasonable for conspiracy theorists to quote anything. Conspiracy theorists can talk about whatever they like. It's up to them to explain themselves.

I know nothing about Bill Gate's stance on population control and never mentioned it. I simply questioned why he gains so much air time on a subject that he clearly isn't fully qualified to speak about. While he may have experience in infrastructure and donations this doesnt make him a medical scientist.

If a doctor makes claims about vaccines then she should explain her observations and open it up to scutiny.

This applies to both sides of any argument.

Why he's given such prominence on a subject that he isnt qualified to speak so widely on.

he is well known to a lot of people. nothing more. what is your concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Anyone can give a talk on a subject as long as the information is correct. Elon Musk doesn't need to be qualified as an astronaut to talk about going to Mars.

Regarding Gates, he doesn't blindly dump money at problems like e.g. sanitation, vaccination, etc. He's very well read and genuinely knowledgeable about those subjects and he tries to make the money work to solve the problem instead of just plastering over it. His talks reflect this, he's the one putting the money in and actively taking part in those projects. He has an excellent track record in that regard. At no point is he claiming to be a qualified professional or expert.

The only question is: why are the conspiracy community so paranoid about him? The main reason seems to be that conspiracy theorists overlap heavily with anti-vaxxers, so Gates, as a key proponent of vaccines, receives all their batshiat nonsense and ire.

I have no idea if there are valid concerns or not. Are there? .
    Not any that have been pointed to.
    Conspiracy theorists only point to outlandish unsupported claims like the notion the vaccines have nanotech tracking devices and/or will alter people's DNA.
    I never said it was reasonable or unreasonable for conspiracy theorists to quote anything. .
    Yes, so I'm asking you if specific examples are reasonable or not.

Is it reasonable for conspiracy theorists to claim things like he's part of a conspiracy to depopulate the planet?
    I simply questioned why he gains so much air time on a subject that he clearly isn't fully qualified to speak about.
    and this has been explained to you. He's not medically qualified. But this doesn't mean he's not experienced and knowledgeable in other ways.

Why else would he be speaking on the subject and being given air time?
    Are you hinting at another conspiracy explanation?
    While he may have experience in infrastructure and donations this doesnt make him a medical scientist.
    And he's never claimed to be. And he's never said anything that relies solely on his personal medical expertise.

Has he said anything that you believe is incorrect or not supported by evidence?

He was ran out of India for poisoning half a million girls too though..
    Nope.

Straight out lie.

• Advertisement

Nope.

Straight out lie.

I dunno..vague enough.. been whitewashed from the internet though, like so much else these days.. scary ****..

I dunno..vague enough.. been whitewashed from the internet though, like so much else these days.. scary ****..

how very convenient for you.

how very convenient for you.

It is actually scary though.. like..I remember reading up about it a few years ago and there was a good bit online..now it's all just "fact-checkers" saying it's false..

Wrongthink will not be tolerated..

It is actually scary though.. like..I remember reading up about it a few years ago and there was a good bit online..now it's all just "fact-checkers" saying it's false..

Wrongthink will not be tolerated..

or maybe it was all just nonsense.

So you can't find any information to support your lie, so you are making up a conspiracy to explain you can't just have been wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Anyone can give a talk on a subject as long as the information is correct. Elon Musk doesn't need to be qualified as an astronaut to talk about going to Mars.

Regarding Gates, he doesn't blindly dump money at problems like e.g. sanitation, vaccination, etc. He's very well read and genuinely knowledgeable about those subjects and he tries to make the money work to solve the problem instead of just plastering over it. His talks reflect this, he's the one putting the money in and actively taking part in those projects. He has an excellent track record in that regard. At no point is he claiming to be a qualified professional or expert.

The only question is: why are the conspiracy community so paranoid about him? The main reason seems to be that conspiracy theorists overlap heavily with anti-vaxxers, so Gates, as a key proponent of vaccines, receives all their batshiat nonsense and ire.

To be honest, people are jealous of him because he is successful, intelligent and rich and instead of accepting the fact that they just have a crap life because of their own failings, they believe the only way Bill got to where he is is by some lizard overlord tapping him on the shoulder, thus there is a conspiracy as to why society stopped them inventing windows too.

Sigh..must have imagined it.. it's weird how like every thread on this forum just ends up with the same four or five posters shouting abuse at anyone who comes to the forum wishing to discuss conspiracy theories..

Well, like, he did kind of steal IBMs code didn't he?..

And his father was kind of connected to the eugenicists of old..

Sigh..must have imagined it.. it's weird how like every thread on this forum just ends up with the same four or five posters shouting abuse at anyone who comes to the forum wishing to discuss conspiracy theories..

who shouted abuse at you? you should probably report them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

To be honest, people are jealous of him because he is successful, intelligent and rich and instead of accepting the fact that they just have a crap life because of their own failings, they believe the only way Bill got to where he is is by some lizard overlord tapping him on the shoulder, thus there is a conspiracy as to why society stopped them inventing windows too.

And as a payment in return the lizard overlords want him to implant lizard technology in people.

Rather than using the principle of occams razor with the simplest rationale for his action being that he's just a nice person who thinks he has too much money hence he's trying to do good in the world.

Advertisement