Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court Summons for TV License

Options
  • 21-01-2021 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all!

So, I got a court summons for non-payment of TV License. Only thing is, the license for my address is under my dad's name. They sent a canvasser to the address ages ago, who gave me a notice for payment after saying my name. I stupidly accepted it - he did have my full name! Didn't realise what he wanted at the time until I confirmed I was me. I just let my parents know (I'm like 85% sure this notice was given to me when I was still underage) and didn't think about it. So imagine my surprise when I get a feckin court summons for April!

Spoke to my dad about it, he said I should go to the court date and just show them his bills, proving that the license is under his name not mine and I should get off scot free. Do you guys reckon that'll be enough?

Also considering giving them a SAR to ask where exactly they got my name from - not a citizen so not the electoral register, and anyway like I said, I was 17 at the time I'm pretty sure.

This was a very waffly post, sorry. Basically, do you guys think it'll be enough to just show them that my dad's the one they're after, so to speak?

Please don't let this thread devolve into discussions on whether the license is extortion (it is), I'm feckin ****ting it here so I just want to know if it's a life in the slammer for me ;):D

Comments

If there's a licence for that address just bring it to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A licence is for a specific address not a person to have a TV. I take it your address is separate to your dad's in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Part of the terms and conditions of living in ireland.

If there is already a license at the address?, then happy days.
    If not why should you expect to wiggle out of it ?

Pay up or face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Yeah pay up. We need to make sure RTE can pay Joe Duffy his modest salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Jaysus just pay the licence if there's a tv in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

If there is a licence then all will be fine. Of course you could also advise your father to apply for a rebate considering all the ****e R.T.E. have been showing recently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Degag wrote: »
    Jaysus just pay the licence if there's a tv in the house.

There’s not though. There’s a feckin Gameboy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ring them and explain.

And I presuming you and your dad were living at the same address at the time of the licence in question.

A good few years ago - TV licence inspector arrived looking for TV license under the wifes maiden name for some odd reason. She explained that it was under my name. Showed them the licence and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Are sure there's a licence for your address? The inspectors are fairly on the ball with them these days and know which houses don't have a licence and deliberately call to them, It's no longer a case of knock and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

nice bit of an oul summons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

These cases are small potatoes in the overall scheme of things but it's extremely frustrating.

My brother was over at a friend of a friends house, and happened to answer the door to the TV License inspector. He didn't even live there, yet got lamped with a court summons also.

You might think common sense would prevail when he got to court, but nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

I smell bs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

doughef wrote: »
    Part of the terms and conditions of living in ireland.

Pay up or face the consequences.

A walking tv licence ad we got here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

My license was up in October, I just read this thread and paid before I got a summons, thanks for the wake up call op

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

What happens in the case that there is no longer a tv at an address that previously had one, and previously paid the license fee?

Do you just stop paying or do you have to inform them in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794011&page=106

OP, take your query to this thread.

Plenty of expert advice on tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

roper1664 wrote: »
    What happens in the case that there is no longer a tv at an address that previously had one, and previously paid the license fee?

Do you just stop paying or do you have to inform them in some way?

Call them up and inform them there's no TV on the premises. No problem with that in my experience.
    Obviously, don't have a TV and say that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Bring the licence and television to court , just to show them how serious you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I moved house recently and the tv licence inspector called out after a few weeks. He said that the court summons isn't their only method of dealing with non compliance.

Sometimes they get Ray D'arcy to call to your house and force you to watch his Saturday night talk show on repeat until you decide to pay. Be careful OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I moved house recently and the tv licence inspector called out after a few weeks. He said that the court summons isn't their only method of dealing with non compliance.

Sometimes they get Ray D'arcy to call to your house and force you to watch his Saturday night talk show on repeat until you decide to pay. Be careful OP.

Move your house again.

• Advertisement

What an appalling tactic. Dastardly even if I may say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You can write to the clerk of the court and provide evidence that the summons is a waste. It would be struck out without the need to attend.

_Brian wrote: »
    You can write to the clerk of the court and provide evidence that the summons is a waste. It would be struck out without the need to attend.

Very odd advise. The court clerk can't dismiss a case and what you are suggesting is defending yourself by letter prior to the court date without the prosecutor being present. What is the clerk disagrees? Can they automatically find you guilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

aneonmoose wrote: »
    Hi all!

So, I got a court summons for non-payment of TV License. Only thing is, the license for my address is under my dad's name. They sent a canvasser to the address ages ago, who gave me a notice for payment after saying my name. I stupidly accepted it - he did have my full name! Didn't realise what he wanted at the time until I confirmed I was me. I just let my parents know (I'm like 85% sure this notice was given to me when I was still underage) and didn't think about it. So imagine my surprise when I get a feckin court summons for April!

Spoke to my dad about it, he said I should go to the court date and just show them his bills, proving that the license is under his name not mine and I should get off scot free. Do you guys reckon that'll be enough?

Also considering giving them a SAR to ask where exactly they got my name from - not a citizen so not the electoral register, and anyway like I said, I was 17 at the time I'm pretty sure.

This was a very waffly post, sorry. Basically, do you guys think it'll be enough to just show them that my dad's the one they're after, so to speak?

Please don't let this thread devolve into discussions on whether the license is extortion (it is), I'm feckin ****ting it here so I just want to know if it's a life in the slammer for me ;):D

As long as there is a licence for your address paid in full or being paid for as in monthly or weekly it doesn't matter who's name its in. As in you could live in a house that I rent to you as long as I pay the licence for that address it doesn't matter who owns the tv or watches it or lives there as long as it's being paid for. It's for the address not the person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I have a holiday home in Ireland, and was very happy to pay my TV licence when it came up for renewal earlier this month. This is despite the fact I didn't visit my holiday home at all last year. I happen to think RTÉ do a fine job considering their limited budget, a collapse in advertising, and the inevitable comparisons made with the BBC. Public service broadcasting is a cornerstone of democracy, and I'd be in favour of the fee being deducted at source to support that mission.

The licence fee here in Germany is €210, and the vast majority of people are happy to pay it. You might not like or be interested in everything they produce, but someone is, and that's the point of public service broadcasting. I also see a lot of moaning about how much people like Joe Duffy are paid. Less than 1% of RTÉ's costs are on the salaries of their major stars, and I'm sure they all bring in more in advertising than they are paid. Sites like this have become known for cranks giving out about everything RTÉ does. The radio and television forums here for example are an extraordinary insight into the lives of oddballs who listen and watch shows they utterly despise just so they can complain endlessly about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I have a holiday home in Ireland, and was very happy to pay my TV licence when it came up for renewal earlier this month. This is despite the fact I didn't visit my holiday home at all last year. I happen to think RTÉ do a fine job considering their limited budget, a collapse in advertising, and the inevitable comparisons made with the BBC. Public service broadcasting is a cornerstone of democracy, and I'd be in favour of the fee being deducted at source to support that mission.

The licence fee here in Germany is €210, and the vast majority of people are happy to pay it. You might not like or be interested in everything they produce, but someone is, and that's the point of public service broadcasting. I also see a lot of moaning about how much people like Joe Duffy are paid. Less than 1% of RTÉ's costs are on the salaries of their major stars, and I'm sure they all bring in more in advertising than they are paid. Sites like this have become known for cranks giving out about everything RTÉ does. The radio and television forums here for example are an extraordinary insight into the lives of oddballs who listen and watch shows they utterly despise just so they can complain endlessly about them.

In TV parlance, I enjoyed the early seasons but the AVB show has long since jumped the shark.

Its not moaning. Its simply a justified collective observation that such an utterly talentless, eternally whinging broadcaster is paid a grossly disproportionate salary. Thanks uncle Gaybo! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Yeah pay up. We need to make sure RTE can pay Joe Duffy his modest salary.

The top 10 RTE presenters cost, in wages, a licence payer a grand total of about 1.50 per year.

Ryan Tubridy wouldn't even make the top 10 of UK TV presenters.

https://www.womanandhome.com/life/news-entertainment/uk-highest-paid-tv-presenters-55472/

People complain about the quality of RTE. We can all get their (UK) channels but how many people in Ireland watch This Morning and Strictly Come Dancing?

Has anybody watched the X Factor in the last five or six years tops?

The bitterness about RTE is off the scale.

They make good documentaries.

Their current affairs output is of a good standard.

Back in the day they left the UK terrestrial channels in the dust when it came to showing US TV programmes first.

They would get to broadcast films years before the UK channels would get them. FFS ITV used to start a film at 9pm and pause it for a half hour to show News at Ten. A bleedin joke shop of a set up.

The top 10 RTE presenters cost, in wages, a licence payer a grand total of about 1.50 per year.

Ryan Tubridy wouldn't even make the top 10 of UK TV presenters.

https://www.womanandhome.com/life/news-entertainment/uk-highest-paid-tv-presenters-55472/

People complain about the quality of RTE. We can all get their (UK) channels but how many people in Ireland watch This Morning and Strictly Come Dancing?

Has anybody watched the X Factor in the last five or six years tops?

The bitterness about RTE is off the scale.

They make good documentaries.

Their current affairs output is of a good standard.

Back in the day they left the UK terrestrial channels in the dust when it came to showing US TV programmes first.

They would get to broadcast films years before the UK channels would get them. FFS ITV used to start a film at 9pm and pause it for a half hour to show News at Ten. A bleedin joke shop of a set up.

I'm not complaining about RTE. We should have a state broadcasting service. I like some content produced and broadcast by RTE. Some of it is excellent. I want it to succeed and improve. The flip side is a lot of the content is ****e and some of the "stars" who basically have jobs for life get paid an obscene sum of money not in alignment with what they contribute. Not all in fairness just a few.

I'm seeing a trend here. So if you don't offer a glowing appraisal of RTE and almost foam at the mouth that the License fee is super value this translates into you're embittered, begrudging, and moaner? Goway ourrah dah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Once we have decided that a Public Broadcasting Service is something we want in Ireland we then need to agree on what form it should take and how we should pay for it.

You'd think that would be a relatively simple task but we seem to be making heavy weather of it on Boards for years now.

Every discussion descends into complaining about salaries and resentment over the licence.

Advertisement