Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to ban Menthol Cigarettes and Rolling Tobacco from May

Options
  • 20-01-2021 5:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone seen this report before that Ireland is banning menthol cigarettes and rolling tobacco from May. There's a lot of rollie smokers out there, how are they going to police this, like especially if we get out of this pandemic, people will just buy tobacco overseas and bring it in to the country. (I just realised now that its from March last year)

https://www.neweurope.eu/article/ire...acco-from-may/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

This is some nanny state crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Thats Menthol,

: rolleyes :

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/menthol-tobacco-ban-must-be-enforced-by-each-member-state-brussels-says-1.4431216?mode=amp

They're not banning rolling tobacco outright, just the menthol variety.

Just suck a polo mint while you're smoking. Although it is totalitarian bollocks to ban it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

There's a workaround, Rizla are doing polar blast filter tips that are normal filters, squeeze the end and crack the yoke inside and they're menthol.
    This was supposed to come in last may

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I wish all cigarettes were banned.
    A more disgusting legal habit I can't think of.
    It costs the state millions every year dealing with the effects of smoking and why we non smoking tax payers should be contributing towards smokers care is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It costs the state millions every year dealing with the effects of smoking and why we non smoking tax payers should be contributing towards smokers care is beyond me.

Brilliant, so if all tobacco was banned and everyone in the country quit over night you'd be happy.

Be a good few years before the HSE seen any major difference but the loss to the economy would be overnight.

People like you would soon be begging smokers to start again when you're income tax goes up by 5/10% to cover the shortfall

Obesity is far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Over €1bn raised in taxes and duties on tobacco The smokers are not only covering their own costs, but funding the HSE. As mentioned above obesity is far worse. €1.1 billion cost to the state. T2 diabetes is a completely reversible condition.

Smokers contribute far more to your care than you do to theirs. You’d be sobbing into your pillow any your tax bill if everyone gave up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Over €1bn raised in taxes and duties on tobacco The smokers are not only covering their own costs, but funding the HSE.
    Smokers contribute far more to your care than you do to theirs.

ah, go on then, so.
    proof of claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Posts like these and even people like you annoy me. Anytime smoking is mentioned you get a hard on and say how you would love to see them banned. Yet your vision is so narrowed you cannot see past your own personal hate - such as the above mentioned 1 billion in tax gone ironically in a poof of smoke. You also fail to see that the government would look to other forms of taxation (of you!) to recoup those loses should they are never ban smokes.

Ps,
    The "I'm paying for smokers in hospital" is an often over used wa*k of a line. Yes people in receipt of the medial card who have smoking related illness are being paid for by you, me and every other tax payer. But thousands of people out there who smoke and work. They ain't getting any free healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Very stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Over €1bn raised in taxes and duties on tobacco The smokers are not only covering their own costs, but funding the HSE. As mentioned above obesity is far worse. €1.1 billion cost to the state. T2 diabetes is a completely reversible condition.

Imagine the tax take if they were to reduce the VAT and excise on cigarettes to make them more affordable and closer in price to the smuggled cigarettes. They could probably take in another 1/2 billion in taxes but they’d rather keep them extortionately priced and drive a huge % of the population into buying smuggled fags (although I’d imagine due to the pandemic smuggled fags aren’t as readily available as previous)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Imagine the tax take if they were to reduce the VAT and excise on cigarettes to make them more affordable and closer in price to the smuggled cigarettes. They could probably take in another 1/2 billion in taxes but they’d rather keep them extortionately priced and drive a huge % of the population into buying smuggled fags (although I’d imagine due to the pandemic smuggled fags aren’t as readily available as previous)
    Well all that would happen there is that the smuggled price will go down because they need to get their market back, and thus the government will be left with less revenue and the smuggling will not have gone away.

Alternatively the smuggling might stop because the price floor will be too low for them to make a decent profit.
    But the government would still be less off because their excise is still less and the lack of smuggling will not make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I remember when people called the smoking ban a nanny state action. Plus the sale of menthol smokes tobacco has been banned since May, so if this is new to you, you must not have been affected too much by the ban!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Not a smoker, never have been and no intention of taking up the habit. To me its another example (minimum pricing of alcohol is another) of the government slowly but surely tinkering with society and in the process, slowly removing peoples freedom. Everyone knows that they're bad for you, but instead of waving the metaphorical finger at people and telling them they are bold boys and girls, why not accept the fact that sometimes people engage in habits that are detrimental to their health, bearing in mind everyone knows the risks at this stage.
    I expect to see more changes coming down the line on the basis that they are "for our own good".
    More nanny state crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I think if someone went so far as to do that, I’d probably be so at my wits end as to murder them entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Haraldkare

It would be counterintuitive to ban tobacco. People will still be able to get tobacco, but instead of regulated tobacco it will be any sawdust thrown together in the black market. It would lead to more healthcare spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

it costs the state millions every year dealing with the effects of smoking and why we non smoking tax payers should be contributing towards smokers care is beyond me.

Do you enjoy a pint? Would you also e in favour of banning all alcohol products too because that also costs the state millions every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

ah, go on then, so.
    proof of claim?

It's a complex analysis, but a point to consider is that smokers die young and actually save the state a lot of money in pension/healthcare compared to a non-smoker that lives for a long time after retirement.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26242225/

The calculation varies depending on country/tax-rate/pension/lifespan etc.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    It's a complex analysis, but a point to consider is that smokers die young and actually save the state a lot of money in pension/healthcare compared to a non-smoker that lives for a long time after retirement.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26242225/

The calculation varies depending on country/tax-rate/pension/lifespan etc.

Show that to your family when you're dying of lung cancer :D
    They'll think you're a great lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Show that to your family when you're dying of lung cancer :D
    They'll think you're a great lad.

How is that relevant to an actuarial calculation over millions of people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

There’s another habit you should really take up - it’s called minding your own business.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That’s works so well for heroin and cocaine. Making them illegal has completely wiped out the problem. It’s wonderful.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Methols? No. They were my favourite mints. Hopefully Fox's Silvermints remain unaffected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

Smokers should be encouraged to stop, and be given as much help as they need to stop - but THAT, is precisely where the line should stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

There’s another habit you should really take up - it’s called minding your own business.

Reminds me off a great comment I heard in a smoking area of a pub.
    A fella sitting at a table having a pint and a smoke when another man came out and sat at the table across from him

“Don’t you know those things will kill you “

“Well my grandfather lived to be 96”

“Oh,was he a smoker “

“ no, he knew how to mind his own business “

😷

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

scudzilla wrote: »
    People like you would soon be begging smokers to start again when you're income tax goes up by 5/10% to cover the shortfall
    Over €1bn raised in taxes and duties on tobacco The smokers are not only covering their own costs, but funding the HSE.
    Smokers contribute far more to your care than you do to theirs. You’d be sobbing into your pillow any your tax bill if everyone gave up tomorrow.

It's almost as if people currently spending money currently on Tobacco would just suddenly use Euro notes in their fireplaces.

Better also to get rid of public transport because of the losses in fuel taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

One thing that bugs me as a smoker is why I can only buy something that’s bad for me in larger amounts.

I used to buy a 15g packet of tobacco and I could get a week out of it.

Now I can only buy a 30g pack but would tend to go through it in a week

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

It's a vital social crutch for soooooo many.

Advertisement