Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days of three-bed semis in Dublin "are over"

Options
  • 18-01-2021 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Interesting article in the IT this morning where the Dublin City Planner says that the days of 2 story houses are no more and it's all high density housing from now on that people want. It's behind a paywall.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/days-of-three-bed-semis-in-dublin-are-over-as-high-density-housing-plans-take-hold-1.4460746

Is it just me but given the shift to working from home at least some of the time that a lot of people will doing is this not an opinion that is a bit outdated now and they are creating another mess of tiny one bedroom apartments with no space that anyone with families won't want? Or will everyone with family's move out of the city and leave it to all the single people out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

High density housing isn't what people want. It's what people can afford.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:
    I've moved this to the Accommodation & Property forum, it's much better suited to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

....Is it just me but given the shift to working from home at least some of the time that a lot of people will doing is this not an opinion that is a bit outdated now and they are creating another mess of tiny one bedroom apartments with no space that anyone with families won't want? Or will everyone with family's move out of the city and leave it to all the single people out there?

It probably means that existing semis, detached, or any house with a garden in the city or suburbs will get so expensive that nobody except wealthy people will be able to buy them. not giving people much choice if all that is available is apartments when they want or need to stay near the city for any number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

My uncle has a house in London...all terraced 3 story houses with nice back gardens...the houses are narrow, but quiet spacious and very well layed out to maximize space

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

Apartments don't have to be tiny one-beds.

They can build bigger apartments. just stack them higher than you can with houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

endacl wrote: »
    High density housing isn't what people want. It's what people can afford.
    To be fair, the article doesn't actually say that people want high-density housing. I'm not sure where the OP got that from.

It says that people still want a two-storey house with 3 or 4 bedrooms and a garden front and back, but that's no longer sustainable.

Also developers can make more money and cram more houses in by building 4 bedrooms over 3 floors and only providing a back garden, so that's what they build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If you look at an aerial photograph of a Dublin suburb like Mount Merrion, you will see an enormous amount of green space. It was built as a garden village, there are 3-bed houses with a garage at the side, a front garden and a very long back garden. It is extremely low-density. Many of the houses are occupied by one or two people. Allowing more such housing schemes to be built will be extremely wasteful of scarce land. Beside Mount Merrion, on the Stillorgan Road, there are a number of apartment blocks. If you take four or five of the largest blocks of apartments and add up the footprint in terms of the amount of land occupied, they would all fit on one road in Mount Merrion and a house as many people as live in the entire suburb of Mount Merrion.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

This is a good thing. Ireland has by far the smallest share of apartments in it's housing stock in Europe, about 4%; by contract Spain's housing stock is around 70% apartments. We can't keep building more urban sprawl eating up the most fertile land in the country, this is partly the reason we have a housing issue and poor transport.

There is a new housing development in Glasnevin quite close to the canal of large 4 and 5 bed houses; seems pretty inefficient use of land to me, could've fit far more people in the same plot with apartments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

High rise apartments privately owned and rented without the state fooling around with regulations high taxes rent controls and social housing etc would solve most of our problems relatively quickly. There's a demand and government needs to get out of the way and let the market provide for that demand. It's very simple.

If government has no business running airlines or washing powder companies then they have no business interfering in the housing market either.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Build apartment complexes like on the continent. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    My uncle has a house in London...all terraced 3 story houses with nice back gardens...the houses are narrow, but quiet spacious and very well layed out to maximize space

How old is the house and what part of London is it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Interesting article in the IT this morning where the Dublin City Planner says that the days of 2 story houses are no more and it's all high density housing from now on that people want. It's behind a paywall.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/days-of-three-bed-semis-in-dublin-are-over-as-high-density-housing-plans-take-hold-1.4460746

Is it just me but given the shift to working from home at least some of the time that a lot of people will doing is this not an opinion that is a bit outdated now and they are creating another mess of tiny one bedroom apartments with no space that anyone with families won't want? Or will everyone with family's move out of the city and leave it to all the single people out there?

I don't think that they are suggesting that they be repalced with one bed apartments. It's more a point that two storey buildings are a shocking waste of land in cities. A big issue in Ireland is that the land close to the centre of Dublin is covered in 2 storey houses (IU write from Rathmines) so that the land further out needs to have a minimum of 4-6 stories whiuch some would regard as counterintuitive.

3 bedroom apartments are common elsewhere but have not been common in Ireland or they havebeen small. There will not be a shift to apartment living if it is done via shoeboxes. It has to be part of the mix to balance out all the semis!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

I guess the point I was trying to make, really badly, is that high density housing is not always the answer as we can't seem to do it right and put in poor local facilities for people to use. I don't think you can compare us to a lot of Europe as we don't have the same climate allowing people to spend as much time outdoors. I think it depends on what you define as sustainable. Do you want to build housing stock that is only suited to a couple with no kids or larger homes that work for families. I dunno what the answer is, but this idea of just building apartments all the time does not seem sustainable to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

I guess the point I was trying to make, really badly, is that high density housing is not always the answer as we can't seem to do it right and put in poor local facilities for people to use. I don't think you can compare us to a lot of Europe as we don't have the same climate allowing people to spend as much time outdoors. I think it depends on what you define as sustainable. Do you want to build housing stock that is only suited to a couple with no kids or larger homes that work for families. I dunno what the answer is, but this idea of just building apartments all the time does not seem sustainable to me.

Don't buy one or rent one if you don't want to.
    If builders can profit from them from building them for developers who want to sell them or rent them out and they satisfy demand out there then get out of their way.
    We need a housing supply fast we need affordability we have the people ready to build them developers ready to profit and we have buyers and renters willing to pay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The extensive built stock of semi-Ds that's already there isn't going to up and go; just like those mentioned in London - and this isn't really news. You can't get high enough densities to even get permission for semi-Ds beside high capacity transit corridors already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

How old is the house and what part of London is it in?

Built in the early 80's, it's near Lewisham I think...

His done work over the years on it, I think his house footprint is 20% smaller than my house, yet has 30-35% More sq footage within the house

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Building sprawling estates like what we've been doing is totally unsustainable. And lots of apartments in Scandinavian cities and they'd have an even colder climate than us. People are generally having fewer children so I'd question the need for building so many huge houses; no reason you can't raise a family in large apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My sister has a 3 bed semi with front and back gardens in D16. I have a 3 bed duplex with communal gardens I don't need to look after and way more internal space, plus an extra bathroom, than she does. I'm much happier with what I have.

L1011 wrote: »
    The extensive built stock of semi-Ds that's already there isn't going to up and go; just like those mentioned in London - and this isn't really news. You can't get high enough densities to even get permission for semi-Ds beside high capacity transit corridors already.

It may become economic to buy existing semi-ds and demolish them in order to create sites for more intensive development. It was done in a few places during Celtic Tiger times. In one cul de sac in Foxrock the owners collective negotiated to sell all the house to a developer with each owner getting about double what would have been the market value for the sale of an individual house.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If builders can profit from them from building them for developers who want to sell them or rent them out and they satisfy demand out there then get out of their way.
    We need a housing supply fast we need affordability we have the people ready to build them developers ready to profit and we have buyers and renters willing to pay.

You don't live in one , do you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Caranica wrote: »
    My sister has a 3 bed semi with front and back gardens in D16. I have a 3 bed duplex with communal gardens I don't need to look after and way more internal space, plus an extra bathroom, than she does. I'm much happier with what I have.

Horses for courses etc. I love maintaining my garden and the thoughts of sunning myself or bbqing with strangers wouldn't appeal to me but thats why its good that we have a variety of options available as not everyone wants or needs the same setup.

Never said I did want to buy one or get in anyones way. We needed fast housing in the past so the Ballymun towers were built, and that went well. I just fear that they would be allowed to build these with no thought for the people who live in them and it's only about profit. That's not sustainable either. I get that apartments are the way of the future, they 100% make the most sense but there should be more taken into consideration than just fitting in the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This is a good thing. Ireland has by far the smallest share of apartments in it's housing stock in Europe, about 4%; by contract Spain's housing stock is around 70% apartments. We can't keep building more urban sprawl eating up the most fertile land in the country, this is partly the reason we have a housing issue and poor transport.

There is a new housing development in Glasnevin quite close to the canal of large 4 and 5 bed houses; seems pretty inefficient use of land to me, could've fit far more people in the same plot with apartments.

They're selling for 8-900k each though, and a lot of NIMBYism out there made sure no high-rise apts would be built.

Never said I did want to buy one or get in anyones way. We needed fast housing in the past so the Ballymun towers were built, and that went well. .

Ballymun wasn't built properly according to the design and the whole project was never finished. people laughed at the Zoe blocks of the 80s and 90s but now they are in high demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

they are creating another mess of tiny one bedroom apartments with no space that anyone with families won't want? Or will everyone with family's move out of the city and leave it to all the single people out there?

Who said they will be tiny one bed apartments? There are lots of options between a three bed semi and a studio apartment.... how do you think the rest of Europe lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Build up, stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

More young people live alone, also most single young people cannot afford to buy a 3 bed house, if theres more single bed apartments built
    at a lower price that will be a good thing.
    other citys allow 10 plus storey buildings to be built.
    Maybe some of the old office buildings could be turned into apartments
    if the trend for people working from home continues after the covid crisis is over .
    in 2021 it makes no sense to buy an expensive site near the city centre
    and build 3 bed house,s on it , when you can build apartments in the same space.when the house,s in rathmines were built the cost of land was much cheaper , the cost of building was cheaper too .

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Build up, stupid!

Oh no no no, we can't be doing that, it will ruin the aesthetic of the developers bank balances, I mean the city skyline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Oh no no no, we can't be doing that, it will ruin the aesthetic of the developers bank balances, I mean the city skyline
    Then lets all shut up and let Dublin's urban sprawl C O N S U M E the rest of the country.

Forget 32, there is only O N E.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

With the problems we have with anti social behaviour in Ireland and little if anything that can be done about it, combined with the requirement for developers to include a certain percentage of their properties as affordable or social housing, I don’t think I’d take a present of an apartment in such a complex.

Advertisement