Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peat Briquette RIP

Options
  • 15-01-2021 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

The iconic BNM peat Briquette is to be no more from 2024. Such a peaty.

🙈🙉🙊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,479 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

For Pete's sake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

No way! Immediately brings me back to memories of Sunday nights; undone homework, the heat of the fire and the smell of ambrosia Creamed Rice. Over time those Sunday nights began to peter out, nonetheless, I'lll never briquette those days

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So Pete Briquette is alive and well!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

is_that_so wrote: »
    So Pete Briquette is alive and well!

https://imgur.com/gallery/5tv8avo/new

The fridge magnet I had as a kid fell apart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I will miss them. A pity they wont keep them around. Everything is going in the direction of dull boring and expensive heat pumps with smart controls that spy on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The Briquette Bardot of our generation :( rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I will miss them. A pity they wont keep them around. Everything is going in the direction of dull boring and expensive heat pumps with smart controls that spy on you.

I honestly read pity as peaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

Jaysus for a second there I thought you where talking about the Rats band member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

I'll miss auld Peat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

An entire industry destroyed and closed down by the far-Left Green party, the same as our Sugar industry destroyed under German demands, our sugar now comes from Germany using sugar cane grown on destroyed Amazon rainforest. But jeez lets all put in heatpumps and pay €2.5k a year in electricity coming at the long end of a gas pipeline from Russia.

• Advertisement

Yeah, like a few briquettes are going to bring on the end of the world..

Sinister, really..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

And I popped in to AH looking for some mental relief from some of the Covid thread posts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,888 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

theguzman wrote: »
    An entire industry destroyed and closed down by the far-Left Green party, the same as our Sugar industry destroyed under German demands, our sugar now comes from Germany using sugar cane grown on destroyed Amazon rainforest. But jeez lets all put in heatpumps and pay €2.5k a year in electricity coming at the long end of a gas pipeline from Russia.

After the amber alerts from the electricity network last week we don't even have enough capacity from gas because its all renewable now. But digging the least efficient fossil fuel out of the ground isn't answer either.

The midlands around Longford, Westmeath and Offaly are the poorest parts of Ireland and I am talking serious poverty here, BnM provided good paying work for generations there, bogs aren't worth tuppence, big holes of swamp which are not productive or useful. The Green party have condemned the midlands to an even worse future.

If everyone on the island of Ireland collectively committed suicide tomorrow morning it would have absolutely zero impact on the global weather! Look up a globe we are at 53 deg latitude and the weather here will nearly always be terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'll miss them - they were handy.

Hopefully BNM will carry through on the planned restoration of the peat-lands after harvesting has ceased

Your Face wrote: »
    I'll miss them - they were handy.

Hopefully BNM will carry through on the planned restoration of the peat-lands after harvesting has ceased

Sitka Spruce plantations an even worse blight on nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Good riddance. BNM are responsible for fleecing the peat lands, and using any sort of solid fuel is not environmentally friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

An excellent idea, and one that probably should have happened a few years ago. I know many people in Ireland still use them, but the destruction of the Irish peat lands for low quality fuel is a relic of a different era. There should also be a ban on households harvesting turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,932 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Have they not announced production will continue until 2024?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Great news for our bogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

I heard this about the briquettes on the radio earlier and it reminded of when I was a school going teenager in the mid 70's when life was much simpler. No central heating, no double glazing, just an open fire in the sitting room. We were fcukin' freezin' most of the time! I had a well paid Saturday job as a settler in a betting office that paid £16 for the day. As cash was tight at home I offered to give my mother £4 every saturday. She wouldn't take the money but asked if I would buy 4 bales of briquettes instead. I think they were less than £1 each. I was happy with that and continued to buy them even throughout the summer months so we were always well stocked up for the winter. Those were the days! Sorry for bangin' on, it's just a nice memory for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Everything has its day and the day of peat extraction has gone.

We’ve absolutely destroyed a vast natural resource. Something like 80% is beyond returning to its former state.

With work it should again start storing carbon and storing water that it’s supposed to rather than flooding happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

theguzman wrote: »

Ireland's Climate Action Plan which sounded the death knell for the peat harvesting industry was an initiative of the last FG Government. Richard Bruton I believe.

Still, it was a misguided attempt to get a dig in at the Green Party. Always worth a few thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

We’ll be left freezing our butts off yet, ban solid fuels and we don’t have enough electricity as it is, so see how well your heat pumps work in power cuts. My problem is not with progress, it’s the fact that there’s nothing to progress to, so we’re just putting ourselves in a precarious situation. Mad stuff really these stupid policies on the dankest Little Rock of an island we call Ireland.
    The blueshirts, ironically fitting cause we’ll all be a nice shade of it with the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'll miss them really they gave a nice flame burned well but I won't get too fired up about it like some. Hope new jobs are made in those areas affected, solar farms, carbon capture etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

screamer wrote: »
    The blueshirts, ironically fitting cause we’ll all be a nice shade of it with the cold.

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Still, it was a misguided attempt to get a dig in at the Green Party. Always worth a few thanks.

The 'far-left' Green Party, no less. As misguided as two short planks.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

screamer wrote: »
    We’ll be left freezing our butts off yet, ban solid fuels and we don’t have enough electricity as it is, so see how well your heat pumps work in power cuts. My problem is not with progress, it’s the fact that there’s nothing to progress to, so we’re just putting ourselves in a precarious situation. Mad stuff really these stupid policies on the dankest Little Rock of an island we call Ireland.

100% correct sir. Even though it isn't common here in Ireland we can get depressions without any substantial wind for weeks at a time. I would be afraid that we could have our grid collapse from this and if it goes down like that it can be very difficult to get it back and running quickly when conditions improve. Bring back coal or let's start planning for Nuclear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

beerguts wrote: »
    Stick a barbed wire stick up your hole. Without BnM peat harvesting for fuel we wouldn't have had the capability of rolling out the electricity network in the 50s and 60s. Little revisionist ****s like you haven't a clue how important harvesting the peatlands was.
    Look at the skill sets they helped create in mechanical and engineering works. It is fair to say that the agri equipment manufacturing wouldn't have got off the ground without BnM and its trades.
    So you and other little know it all **** stains can **** up. And choke on your mechanically harvested avocado that was air freighted in.

I think you’ll find they weren’t running the lower stations on briquettes and that the rest of the country has exited the 50s a long time ago.

Advertisement