Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Oysters: Love it or hate it?

Options
  • 09-01-2021 5:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭

I love it personally. I always order two dozen raw oysters from the Wild Atlantic Way delivered to Leinster fresh. No bells or whistles, just shuck em, slap some lemon and its good to go.

Swear, its one of the hidden gems available to everyone in the country. Its cheap, nutritious and delicious. Try em out

Comments

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I love when my food looks like a cross between a smokers phlegm and semen... Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I did use to like getting some chinese/thai did with "Oyster" sauce, but I'm sure it tasted as close to oyster and Skips taste to actual prawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They're awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I love the ceremony of them all even though they're a bit gross, nice to share with someone if you've had a couple of drinks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I like them, but it doesn’t take long before I feel like I’ve drunk a pint of seawater. So I have to stop after a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Utterly disgusting

🙈🙉🙊

like mussels they're a great source of protein from our own back yard. It's mad how these things aren't really popular here compared to other countries, we do produce a hell of a lot of these things organically too, rope mussels and oysters are one of the cleaner ways to produce protein, environmentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like swallowing a giant gob of cold snot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Swallow snot? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Does anyone ever cook oysters?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »

Oyster fritters look nice but I've never had them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Oysters = sea snots!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

never had them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Love them. I get mine from Achill Oysters, next day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

to eat ...ew ..each to their own ..perhaps my palate is not as sophisticated as yours

To look at ..partic if there is a pearl ....beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Absolutely delicious on ice with some tabasco and lemon.

I’m not sure why they’re meant to be an aphrodisiac however. I got poisoned from them one day and the smell coming off my burps was worse than the already foul smell leaving my hole every 2 minutes... It lasted for days and I destroyed 2 pairs of jocks on a long trip home from the romantic weekend in Cork.. I still love them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Um yes? Baked oysters are alright, deep-fried panko-crumbed oysters are the food of the Gods. Can't stomach them raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Wouldn't mind half a dozen now with a few pints , anyone know of a posh Shebeen selling them

The farming of oysters and other shellfish is as sustainable as it gets and in many places actually restorative environmentally. It holds great promise for relieving pressure on land-based protein sources and is a great example for how to gain more food from the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, personally, think that those of you describing it as “snot” are being incredibly generous.

It’s salty, slimy and watery. All that, coupled with the “delivery”, well, it’s basically cold jizz. Dress it up how you like but, unless you’re lashing lemon or Tabasco on there, you are, effectively, chugging spunk.

Never touch them, myself.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have an obsession with oysters and other shellfish. Visits to our coastal fish monger are a weekly treat, the kids eat crab claws and mussels like sweets.

Proper traditional Irish food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭jackboy

I, personally, think that those of you describing it as “snot” are being incredibly generous.

It’s salty, slimy and watery. All that, coupled with the “delivery”, well, it’s basically cold jizz. Dress it up how you like but, unless you’re lashing lemon or Tabasco on there, you are, effectively, chugging spunk.

I think you have revealed far too much there😂.

Anyway, they are definitely a love or hate food. I love them plain and simple, no Tabasco required.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Bit of garlic breadcrumb on the oyster in the shell & pup under the grill. Absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

We love oysters in our house. My 12 year old when 5/6 years old would gobble them down.

Why do you know what cold jizz tastes like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I've had them a few times. They are quite nice - have a very unique taste but have to override the gag reflex!

People saying they look like X or taste like Y need to open their minds a small bit. I mean, fine if you legitimately do not like the taste of them but there are loads of foods that are extremely common these days that when you look at where they come from you'd wonder how we came to consume them.

I guarantee most of these people eat prawns. Does a raw whole prawn look any more appetizing than an oyster?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Fooking prawns...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Why do you know what cold jizz tastes like?

A rather “personal” question. Why should that matter? Let’s just say I may have come last in a competition, long ago at this stage.

Even still, there would have been the odd snowball, or accidental slootching, “after the fact”, along the way. All mine there though, and never straight from the horse’s mouth, so to speak.

Anyway, you won’t catch me in hurry to guzzle down buckets of either. No, thank you.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭dasdog

Space Dog wrote: »
    Um yes? Baked oysters are alright, deep-fried panko-crumbed oysters are the food of the Gods. Can't stomach them raw.

Also a nice addition to a BBQ with Tabasco sauce.

Advertisement