Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg plans for 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Calvin001 wrote: »
    Only have a small long bed for planting, so usually plant some peas at the back, with cauliflower and broccoli (6-8 plants) and then maybe some beetroot. Will have strawberries, hopefully the rasberrys and bluberries come back also.

This year, thinking of putting in some herbs, and less brassica (suffer from snails/slugs)

Need to get the garden more "table friendly", maybe even need to get good fertilizer into it (and pest killer!!)

Here's a natural remedy for slugs. It's a nematode that preys on the slugs.
    https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/6-nemaslug#:~:text=Nemaslug%20is%20a%20unique%20product,%2C%20pets%2C%20birds%20and%20wildlife

One of the great benefits of DIY gardening is, the option of minimising the use of pesticides and chemical fertiliser.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

hirondelle wrote: »
    This might be an obvious question, but were you pinching out the side shoots last year? I think most varieties of vine tomatoes will put out side shoots and these take up the growth rather than the plant forming decent amounts of fruit if they aren't removed.

I was, just a poor variety I grabbed from Woodies I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

lordgoat wrote: »
    I was, just a poor variety I grabbed from Woodies I think.

Funny enough, I get mine from Woodies or Lidl every year (the ones in the 9cm pots) and have always found them to be good. I watch like a hawk until they are on sale (the Lidl ones are a euro cheaper and I get about 16 0f them). I'm mad keen to get them growing on and into the greenhouse asap as in Ireland I think tomatoes need every beam of sunshine going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Really need to get my head back in this particular game within the next ten days.

I haven't even been out in my back garden in the past couple of weeks. My compost heap could do with a turn. I think I need to get to the other side of Christmas for the energy to start flowing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

think I need to get to the other side of Christmas for the energy to start flowing again.

My problem is that a fortnight of ungardenable weather diverted my energy into other things that weren't on the To Do list! And now that they're started, they have to be finished before Christmas, even if the weather's improved. :pac:

Getting there though. Have been looking into the use of underbed storage boxes as portable propagatory type things. Jan-Feb-Mar are the months that best suit me for working ("proper" work, as my mother calls it - the type you get paid for :D ) which involves being away from home at the very time I need to be sowing and supervising my solanaceous crops. I think I can get six of them into the "boot" of my camper where they'll be lovely and warm for germination, and then easy to shift around once they need light for growth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

hirondelle wrote: »
    Funny enough, I get mine from Woodies or Lidl every year (the ones in the 9cm pots) and have always found them to be good. I watch like a hawk until they are on sale (the Lidl ones are a euro cheaper and I get about 16 0f them). I'm mad keen to get them growing on and into the greenhouse asap as in Ireland I think tomatoes need every beam of sunshine going!

Normally I am exactly the same, this year though I want to pick a couple of bush varieties and maximise the greenhouse rather than fill it with a load of plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

lordgoat wrote: »
    Normally I am exactly the same, this year though I want to pick a couple of bush varieties and maximise the greenhouse rather than fill it with a load of plants.

Funny enough I got two bush plants this year from Woodies to try them- I have to say I was very unimpressed. The fruiting was much slower and they got to that hard pale green stage and just stopped- whereas my Gardeners Delight, Ailsa Craigs etc. were proper. My experiment the previous year was getting yellow varieties and I won't be repeating that one either!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

Good infoo, thanks mate

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

damn this is useful mate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Harvested my first oca and mashua yesterday in time for Christmas Dinner :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Have heard rumors that seeds are becoming hard to get. Usually I wait until after the new year to order but will be ordering soon, and then wait....

teroknor83 wrote: »
    I have never grown veg before but I'm keen to set some into next year. I live in a town so would probably be restricted to small raised beds or containers. Any recommendations for a first time grower? I have already been recommended to try growing garlic.

Are there any allotments near you?

teroknor83 wrote: »
    I have never grown veg before but I'm keen to set some into next year. I live in a town so would probably be restricted to small raised beds or containers. Any recommendations for a first time grower? I have already been recommended to try growing garlic.

Garlic you put out in fall and harvest the next year in most cases. I'd start with simpler faster things like lettuce and peas, if you like them. If you have a bit of room, squash and beetroot. If you have use for them, most common cooking herbs are very easy, in fact the hard part is keeping them from taking over.

Tomatoes want sun and warm and moisture, so if that's appropriate to your area they grow fine in containers.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Have heard rumors that seeds are becoming hard to get. Usually I wait until after the new year to order but will be ordering soon, and then wait....

Ive been saying it here for months.
    I've all mine ordered months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Bought some Money Maker tomato seeds today in Woodies. Can I start putting them in pots on the window sill soon?

A packet cost €2.99, can you get them cheaper elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gigglybits

Wild Boar Farm in America have a great selection. I think if you don't order more than 5 you do not incur customs charges - I didn't anyway. Tomato Eden have a super selection too.

Seedaholics are brilliant. In Ireland, super fast service and a great selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Seedaholics are brilliant. In Ireland, super fast service and a great selection.

I was about to post this! My seeds from them last year did so well. and I am very very soon to order from them again. Packets are more generous numerically than other places so they work out cheaper.

Once Christmas is over the gardening itch sets in.. ;)

I love buying local! And makes sense. Especially this year. Our own people need our support

Anyone who hasn't bought yet should do so soon or face another spring with no seeds being available

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bill Hook

Bought some Money Maker tomato seeds today in Woodies. Can I start putting them in pots on the window sill soon?

A packet cost €2.99, can you get them cheaper elsewhere?

I got a variety called Polen from Irish Seed Savers last year (around 2.97 euro I think) and they grew well outdoor in big pots against the gable end as well as in my rubbish Lidl greenhouse.

I started mine indoors in a propagator at the end of February last year and was worn out carting them in and out in May trying to avoid the late frosts. Hopefully I will have my polytunnel in time to house them this year.

• Advertisement

Another vote for Seedaholics!

I have been trying to use all Irish grown seed for my vegetables so have bought mainly from Irish Seed Savers and Brown Envelope Seeds in Cork this year. Anything I can't get from them I get from Seedaholics or Fruit Hill Farm.

Harvested my first oca and mashua yesterday in time for Christmas Dinner :)

How did the oca and mashua turn out?

Haven't touched my mashua yet but harvested some yacon here last week and they were worse than Jerusalem artichokes on the digestive front!

Brown envelope are very good too and are usually my go to supplier. FD as so little was available last year I did plant seeds from Lidl. It was hit or miss, courgettes were fine, peas and beans were fails. Brown envelopes "Irish Green" peas were a big success.

Graces7 wrote: »
    I was about to post this! My seeds from them last year did so well. and I am very very soon to order from them again. Packets are more generous numerically than other places so they work out cheaper.

Once Christmas is over the gardening itch sets in.. ;)

I love buying local! And makes sense. Especially this year. Our own people need our support

List half done. ie I have entered what I would like, Next I will go back and halve the list! Works well!

Some of the historic and medicinal plants are so lovely.

NB I don't have much viable space.

Had to stop when I got to sunflowers and sweet peas as the sheer choice.. Glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

Sadly, my experience of Seedaholic has not been so good. Almost total failure of germination of lettuce and onion (Red Baron). I had successful sowings of other varieties at the same time to compare, so I suspect old seed - no dates of any sort on the packets!

Bill Hook wrote: »
    How did the oca and mashua turn out?

Haven't touched my mashua yet but harvested some yacon here last week and they were worse than Jerusalem artichokes on the digestive front!

Turned out really well.
    The JA needs to be left in daylight for 2-3weeks before eating.

Have yacon for next year

Donalde wrote: »
    Sadly, my experience of Seedaholic has not been so good. Almost total failure of germination of lettuce and onion (Red Baron). I had successful sowings of other varieties at the same time to compare, so I suspect old seed - no dates of any sort on the packets!

It happened with me with bulbs from Future Forests. As they were using stock from a firm no longer in business... even bulbs have a limited life,

Just got the last of my seeds from seed savers in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I ordered seeds of a few basic veg like carrots parsnips and salads the other day. I need to get onion sets and possibly seed potatoes. I don't want to get too much as I currently don't have any veg beds :/

We moved house earlier this year, the previous owners had a small greenhouse which they left but no veg beds, so my early 2021 job is to get that built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

last year i bit off more than i could chew and it was a disaster.
    this year I want to just grow potatoes.

I have 12 x square metre beds.

how many kilos should I get for 1 square metre?

where is a good place to get them? I feel I may have missed the boat going by some posts on here.

Advertisement