Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living Under Regulation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,530 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I would have to take issue with your statement on pollutants as 95% of farmers in the country and especially heavily stocked and mostly highly competent well trained and educated farmers have a high regard for the valuable nutrients that are generated and recycled on farms every year

Theres enough people who don't understand agriculture and the value of farmers being custodians of the countryside having a pop besides one of our own on here #4242;.
    .....just my opinion

If you actually read what I said I’m not having a pop at anyone.

Slurry and effluent are pollutants as I said, that’s a fact. I didn’t say the farmers were polluting anything.

But across industry any business storing and handling large volumes of substances that are considered pollutants would need EPA licensing, particularly if the plan is to spread these products on land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭green daries

_Brian wrote: »
    If you actually read what I said I’m not having a pop at anyone.

Slurry and effluent are pollutants as I said, that’s a fact. I didn’t say the farmers were polluting anything.

But across industry any business storing and handling large volumes of substances that are considered pollutants would need EPA licensing, particularly if the plan is to spread these products on land.

I'm afraid It is having a pop re pollutants
    Everything humanity is involved in or turns its hands to will invariably be a pollutant there's a minority causing issues in agriculture the should and will be stopped as another poster said storage is a problem on some farms and also some not regarding regulations who are spoiling farmings good reputation in Ireland but also some nutrients are allowed to be spread during the closed periods as long as the weather conditions are adhered to as in dairy washings
    I would argue that people outside of agriculture have a much larger polluting footprint than farmers themselves and we are seen as a soft touch to solve the problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭green daries

blackbox wrote: »
    There is red tape and constant change in every industry, especially in food production.

Unfortunately there are cowboys that bring down grief on everyone else, whether it is angel dust or horse meat or pollution.

Hi blackbox I agree totally there is and will have to be regulation in all walks of life/business its needed to catch out the rouge traders in any buisness. but in agriculture the red tape and bull that is just piled on top of more red tape is my issue I suppose there's no attempt to simplify the process at any stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Jesus tis pure ground hog day around here, meeting same ould heads most of them nervous. Don't look like they are going to open up the local pub/ comunity centre/ escape from the wife and kids/happy place for Christmas. It's going to be a very long winter.

I'm afraid It is having a pop re pollutants
    Everything humanity is involved in or turns its hands to will invariably be a pollutant there's a minority causing issues in agriculture the should and will be stopped as another poster said storage is a problem on some farms and also some not regarding regulations who are spoiling farmings good reputation in Ireland but also some nutrients are allowed to be spread during the closed periods as long as the weather conditions are adhered to as in dairy washings
    I would argue that people outside of agriculture have a much larger polluting footprint than farmers themselves and we are seen as a soft touch to solve the problems

I didn’t say farmers were polluters though. You inferred that.

I was pointing out that many other industries holdingTens of thousands of gallons of pollutants need eps licence to do so, farms for the moment are being spared this.

I work outside the farming industry as well and while farmers may think they are over regulated compared to other industries, it’s just not so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I didn’t say farmers were polluters though. You inferred that.

I was pointing out that many other industries holdingTens of thousands of gallons of pollutants need eps licence to do so, farms for the moment are being spared this.

I work outside the farming industry as well and while farmers may think they are over regulated compared to other industries, it’s just not so.

Agree 100% that farming,when compared to other sectors, is not over regulated by any means.

Think the problem/issue is that any penalty or delay in any payment has a disproportionate effect on a farm compared to other sectors.
    How often do we read of this or that company being fined large sums and they trade away ?
    Also a farm inspection is usually personal responsibility unlike say in a pharma company where its just a job that you have to do as part of your responsibilities. Big difference.

All thst said not too sure what the big worry is at times.Take a 20k BPS with maybe glas and bdgp sheep welfare payment etc .
    A 3% penalty is 600/800 euro: sore but not life changing.One dead bullock or more likely a few dead sheep would amount to this.
    A dead lamb is 100 euro and would just take it as part and parcel of farming.
    Sometimes people get too caught up in worrying about things and a little perspective is needed.

Another issue I suppose is the total imbalance of power or even the perceived imbalance when an inspection takes place.
    Neighbour had taken over farm here after sudden death of his father and had full cross compliance about a month into his unexpectedly early farming career.
    Worried sick about it.I pointed out that a 5% penalty would equate to about 2 days wages in his previous job and how often had he taken time off there without pay.

Agree 100% that farming,when compared to other sectors, is not over regulated by any means.

Think the problem/issue is that any penalty or delay in any payment has a disproportionate effect on a farm compared to other sectors.
    How often do we read of this or that company being fined large sums and they trade away ?
    Also a farm inspection is usually personal responsibility unlike say in a pharma company where its just a job that you have to do as part of your responsibilities. Big difference.

All thst said not too sure what the big worry is at times.Take a 20k BPS with maybe glas and bdgp sheep welfare payment etc .
    A 3% penalty is 600/800 euro: sore but not life changing.One dead bullock or more likely a few dead sheep would amount to this.
    A dead lamb is 100 euro and would just take it as part and parcel of farming.
    Sometimes people get too caught up in worrying about things and a little perspective is needed.

Another issue I suppose is the total imbalance of power or even the perceived imbalance when an inspection takes place.
    Neighbour had taken over farm here after sudden death of his father and had full cross compliance about a month into his unexpectedly early farming career.
    Worried sick about it.I pointed out that a 5% penalty would equate to about 2 days wages in his previous job and how often had he taken time off there without pay.

100% agree.
    But many sole traders struggle with regulatory paperwork.

It is hard though, particularly when maybe other stuff is going not the best to get things out of proportion. I’d be very guilty of that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭paddysdream

100% agree.

It is hard though, particularly when maybe other stuff is going not the best to get things out of proportion. I’d be very guilty of that myself.

Think that's the problem at times;getting things out of proportion.

When you actually think about it,a cross compliance penalty of a couple of hundred euro is not the sort of life changing event to worry about.

That said,when its you and you alone that has the worry,hassle etc then it can become a bigger issue.Its like going to the dentist,the thinking about beforehand is worse than the actual experience.

About 25 years ago was driving down Capel St. in Dublin after bringing someone to a hospital appointment .Phone rings and its at the time a well known (in not a good way) Dept. inspector telling me I was due a REPS inspection.I says sound when you coming and he tells me he is about a mile away on another farm and be there in 20 minutes.
    That was worry.We were spreading pig slurry on a field that really shouldn't have been happening plus all the other (in my mind) little bits that I had wrong.
    Lets just say I made good time home and landed down to the yard to find him finishing up.Bit of plamas and a few questions from me in a harmless way and he off on his way.
    I asked if any issues and he says no not really.Delighted till I rang planner and he tells me that at times they will not let you know if they think you might have a problem on the day.
    Few years into it at this stage and me thinking where the fcuk I could find 20k to pay it back.

Bout a week later got full REPS payment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

gozunda wrote: »
    Only cure for that- is hit them with a freedom information request - including a request for all submitted correspondence to-date. And get the email address of the person you're dealing with.

I have to do that before - and lo and behold they found all the missing submitted documentation.

They got a right royal bolloking when I found they had what they claimed to be missing.

Take copies of everything and date them. Screenshots / registration of any post. It seems civil servants aren't paid for being proactive...

We tried that before, we were told it would take 30 working days, for them that's 6 weeks. Do you reckon a farmer would have much wrong if they had 6 weeks notification of an inspection? How long did your case take?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

100% agree.

A local farm advisor here will do everything for you at not a dear price, I think its the best money a farmer could spend if they don't like paperwork or haven't time to do it.
    Wasn't there a poster here that had set up a company for registering calves and medicines book? Great service aswell that would take alot of weight off a farmers shoulders if that type of work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

There must be nearly as many people employed nowadays whose "job" it is is to check on the real work that other people are doing and/or telling them how it should be done (with no first hand experience themselves) and/or spending their entire day dreaming up more rules and regulations to keep their jobs relevant.

It's a total joke now at this stage.

And it's worse its getting

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

893bet wrote: »
    What type of info are they still asking for?

Merchant statments/invoices for animal feeds purchased in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Panch18 wrote: »
    There must be nearly as many people employed nowadays whose "job" it is is to check on the real work that other people are doing and/or telling them how it should be done (with no first hand experience themselves) and/or spending their entire day dreaming up more rules and regulations to keep their jobs relevant.

It's a total joke now at this stage.

And it's worse its getting

It's becoming an industry in its self.Over the shoulder parasites"I'm not qualified to do that job,I'm just here to tell you that you are doing it wrong"
    Coming up with new things in order to justify their existence.

Bullocks wrote: »
    A local farm advisor here will do everything for you at not a dear price, I think its the best money a farmer could spend if they don't like paperwork or haven't time to do it.
    Wasn't there a poster here that had set up a company for registering calves and medicines book? Great service aswell that would take alot of weight off a farmers shoulders if that type of work

See our local Education Board (CMETB) advertising today free training for farmers on computer related aspects of farming. Great opportunity for lads to get some free training.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

blue5000 wrote: »
    We tried that before, we were told it would take 30 working days, for them that's 6 weeks. Do you reckon a farmer would have much wrong if they had 6 weeks notification of an inspection? How long did your case take?

I think you missed that I was replying to the poster detailing that they were being asked for further information "Two years and five days after a full cross compliance inspection"
    some of which had already been sent some "18 months" previously

But yeah a similar timeframe and the FOI worked. They were left egg on their faces and stopped the bolloxology of stuff being repeatedly requested despite been sent in. Having copies and proof of submitted documents helps but sometimes it necessary to go a couple steps more.

wrangler wrote: »
    I'm surprised at that, I thought you guys were really going to benefit from CAP 2013. We've experience d savage cuts to bring up the low subsidies
    Has your subsidies not improved a lot since 2013, wasn't everyone supposed to be up to 200/ha by now,

I could be corrected, but I think the convergence figure is €150/ha.

My post wasn't about the money, everyone needs money to get along in life.

But rather when whatever % of someone's income can be taken away due to omissions or mistakes - and I have heard some right horror stories. It has farmers living in fear tbh.

I don't blame the inspectors, they're just out doing a job as best they can.

But as someone above said, I'd far rather get paid the proper price for what I produce - which could be a diversity of things - than suck the cheque tit, being blunt about it, I feel farmers are held hostage in a system that's does us more harm than good.

I accept that where food is involved and therefore peoples health that there will always be some amount of regulation, but the ease of which the system allows for some harsh penalties is beyond the pale.

At least if an individual can make more of their living selling direct that insulates them from penalties, the word has gone all brexitish but it's down to retaining control over one's business and life.

I'm serious when I say I'll be happy when I can post the cheque back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

blue5000 wrote: »

An inspection with 6 weeks notice, sure farmers would do nothing.
    I always got plenty of notice of inspections, always at least 24 hrs, It depends I suppose if you've the homework done, if not done the stress is self inflicted I'm afraid.

I could be corrected, but I think the convergence figure is €150/ha.

My post wasn't about the money, everyone needs money to get along in life.

But rather when whatever % of someone's income can be taken away due to omissions or mistakes - and I have heard some right horror stories. It has farmers living in fear tbh.

I don't blame the inspectors, they're just out doing a job as best they can.

But as someone above said, I'd far rather get paid the proper price for what I produce - which could be a diversity of things - than suck the cheque tit, being blunt about it, I feel farmers are held hostage in a system that's does us more harm than good.

I accept that where food is involved and therefore peoples health that there will always be some amount of regulation, but the ease of which the system allows for some harsh penalties is beyond the pale.

At least if an individual can make more of their living selling direct that insulates them from penalties, the word has gone all brexitish but it's down to retaining control over one's business and life.

I'm serious when I say I'll be happy when I can post the cheque back.

Looking for a proper price for your produce is idealistic, dreamland even and not gonna happen. Everyone would love to be in a financial position to send the money back..... but would you send it back even then, don't think so .
    It's a bit sad of those that claim that larry is getting the subsidies, it's been many many years since an animal here didn't make a decent profit, so the subs only go to larry if farmers are stupid enough to let them, ie. as in those buying store cattle at the moment and actually it's the store producer that's getting the beef producers sub subs this year .

Looking for a proper price for your produce is idealistic, dreamland even and not gonna happen. Everyone would love to be in a financial position to send the money back..... but would you send it back even then, don't think so .

I'm not planning on operating in the markets you may think I am, nor producing race to the bottom commodities at the expense of first world input prices. That's not a criticism of anyone who does, that's their choice.

As for idealism and dreamland, we can park that as it doesn't bring us on anywhere.

Would I exchange receipt of money for a fair whack less of rules once I had replaced that money with another source, yes, I sure would.

The happiest farmers I've met are ones that don't get a cheque.

I'm not planning on operating in the markets you may think I am, nor producing race to the bottom commodities at the expense of first world input prices. That's not a criticism of anyone who does, that's their choice.

As for idealism and dreamland, we can park that as it doesn't bring us on anywhere.

Would I exchange receipt of money for a fair whack less of rules once I had replaced that money with another source, yes, I sure would.

The happiest farmers I've met are ones that don't get a cheque.

I wouldn't even try to guess what you're at, people have to be innovative now to make it.
    Have a nephew that tries to have new ideas too, he had one of hte first balers and wrappers in the country and cleaned up the first few years, It's a race to the bottom now it's so cutthroat, he moved on to other things and they too got competitive. I got leader funding for another nephew to set up, but his business is hard work and no one is going to take his business in a hurry.
    Best of luck anyway with whatever you're at

• Advertisement

I wouldn't even try to guess what you're at, people have to be innovative now to make it.
    Have a nephew that tries to have new ideas too, he had one of hte first balers and wrappers in the country and cleaned up the first few years, It's a race to the bottom now it's so cutthroat, he moved on to other things and they too got competitive. I got leader funding for another nephew to set up, but his business is hard work and no one is going to take his business in a hurry.
    Best of luck anyway with whatever you're at

Thanks :) I've a bit of learning and research to do yet but I'm confident there's income there to be had.

Big brother is watching you.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/schemes/farmer-misgivings-over-more-or-less-constant-surveillance-planned-under-next-cap-39847324.html

Paywalled but the gist is almost constant real time surveillance of farms even through heavy cloud cover during the next CAP by these two satellites. If the dept want more information they may text the farmer requiring good quality photos of the activity or area that they can't see from space.

Apparently the benefit of this is to cut the burden of controls and administrative costs as well as the level of "non compliance".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Big brother is watching you.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/schemes/farmer-misgivings-over-more-or-less-constant-surveillance-planned-under-next-cap-39847324.html

Paywalled but the gist is almost constant real time surveillance of farms even through heavy cloud cover during the next CAP by these two satellites. If the dept want more information they may text the farmer requiring good quality photos of the activity or area that they can't see from space.

Apparently the benefit of this is to cut the burden of controls and administrative costs as well as the level of "non compliance".
    That's the european Sentinel earth monitoring satellites.
    It used to be available to the public online but I think it's gone corporate and only available from companies now selling that info back to farmers.
    Before you could clearly see the differences of fert spread on headlands, there was a carbon option to compare between fields, moisture, etc, etc. That infra red option was there to view 'through' clouds.

I'll sound like a right rogue of a farmer but this information has been available to the authorities since before 2018. It's just lucky that the depts are giving fair warning that they'll start using it next year when for the last three years it could have been used.

It would have been nice to have an office job or be born with a thousand acres. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

It used to be available to the public online but I think it's gone corporate and only available from companies now selling that info back to farmers.
    Before you could clearly see the differences of fert spread on headlands, there was a carbon option to compare between fields, moisture, etc, etc. That infra red option was there to view 'through' clouds.

I'll sound like a right rogue of a farmer but this information has been available to the authorities since before 2018. It's just lucky that the depts are giving fair warning that they'll start using it next year when for the last three years it could have been used.

It would have been nice to have an office job or be born with a thousand acres. :pac:

Nothing stopping them from a having a look back either, they probably will anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The Department has been gradually rolling out the updated maps and counties Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo , Westmeath and Wicklow will go live in the system from 2021.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/new-bps-maps-to-be-extended-to-nine-more-counties-in-2021-588383

I was once told "...and you have no opinions." as part of some really good advice, but........

I believe it's well beyond the Pale. I've said it before, but I think there is now massive over reach due to farmers receiving "public money". We're constrained into a system where we have little choice in the matter, then get blamed for it and beaten up by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I was once told "...and you have no opinions." as part of some really good advice, but........

I believe it's well beyond the Pale. I've said it before, but I think there is now massive over reach due to farmers receiving "public money". We're constrained into a system where we have little choice in the matter, then get blamed for it and beaten up by it.
    The land is not your own anymore.

Johnny in foxrock now dictates what you do with that land. Social freedom, justice, license, overlords, whatever.

I'd agree. But it's the way it's gone and I doubt there's no going back.
    Unfortunately it'll mean that those that can afford to comply will go on, those that can't may set or sell to those that can which will mean more consolidation at odds with what is preached about small family farms being cherished by those who shout loudest.
    The whole thing is being steered to the English way of large company farms. Despite the soundbites.

I've yet to hear what plans those who campaigned to #stopthecap wanted brought in.
    So I don't know if I agree or disagree with Mick Wallace et al.

Johnny in foxrock now dictates what you do with that land. Social freedom, justice, license, overlords, whatever.

Unfortunately it'll mean that those that can afford to comply will go on, those that can't may set or sell to those that can which will mean more consolidation at odds with what is preached about small family farms being cherished by those who shout loudest.
    The whole thing is being steered to the English way of large company farms. Despite the soundbites.

I've yet to hear what plans those who campaigned to #stopthecap wanted brought in.

Who're ye tellin, if you really want to enjoy the perks of being a third class subject, own some peatland. We'll be tossed some magic beans and not let farm at all or be up before the courts.

On your point re CAP, I think the thinking has herd reduction also incorporating the number of farmers as you say.

I think there's a genuine mental health issue in a lot of this. Remember the yellow card system. None of these great "changes" seem to change things for the better for the dope on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Their using them satellites already. I'd say some staff,seniors too,could have a few pounds stopped in their wages for non compliance of their employment t &c,s if the satellite was focused on them.

Bloody awful that this sort of crap is being used for minor generally breaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Has there ever been any discussion , even here in Ireland with regard to farmers being subsided as against true payment for food ?
    Subsidies are compensation for the primary producer not receiving a true price for product .
    Yet every year there are more and conditions attached
    No union worth its salt would have allowed this to evolve

Advertisement