Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Jb1989 wrote: »
    No need to apologise at all,

No need for the constant digs either

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Horns on the weanlings
    No tags on the calves
    Tractor left ready for the hill start
    Green diesel in the jeep
    Silage in September
    Reseeding in October
    Slurry in December
    Pallets on the manholes
    Netting in the tank
    An old cow kept to feed a few calves
    Cash only
    Homeopathic cures
    Homemade remedies
    Has an invention that is really a contraption
    Cattle left out too late in autumn
    Cattle left in too late in spring
    Feeds a lot of salt
    Blames copper for everything
    Small squares
    Penstrep
    Ringworm
    Anti-vax
    Keeps the PI's
    Ignores the lame ones
    Buys stock based on colour
    Sells stock based on panic
    Never washes the trailer
    Still milking at 10 in the morning
    Still milking at 10 at night
    Asleep at the back of the meeting
    First in line for the grant

No handles on the electric fence. Knot it instead.
    When I was driving for a contractor I used to have a snips to get into certain farms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Jb1989

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    No handles on the electric fence. Knot it instead.
    When I was driving for a contractor I used to have a snips to get into certain farms

Hopefully the power was off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

I know in our household, there be no looking on Internet at 5,45. Phone is left alone till later in the day. Seldom need for technology at that time of the day.
    Have to say I’d disagree completely with that. I’d use the technology either early in the morning or late at night a lot more than I would during the day. Just because we’re asleep during our night time doesn’t mean the whole world is asleep at the same time!! A lot of things happen all around the world when we’re asleep so I like to check the news websites in the mornings when I wake up to see what has happened. It gives you a few minutes to wake up before getting out of the bed too.

Plus any lad that’s busy shouldn’t have time to be looking at the technology during the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Jb1989

DBK1 wrote: »
    Have to say I’d disagree completely with that. I’d use the technology either early in the morning or late at night a lot more than I would during the day. Just because we’re asleep during our night time doesn’t mean the whole world is asleep at the same time!! A lot of things happen all around the world when we’re asleep so I like to check the news websites in the mornings when I wake up to see what has happened. It gives you a few minutes to wake up before getting out of the bed too.

Plus any lad that’s busy shouldn’t have time to be looking at the technology during the day!

Yea that suits you completely,
    Here, the kids usually come in to bed first thing so I have craic with them firstly, as won't see them till late and they are all the news I need at that time of the morning.

I look at it at 10.00 tae, don't switch on Internet till then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Battery dead in everything

Machinery doors broken, farm gates hung with rope.

Get bogged in the same field every year without fail

A penny wise and a pound foolish...

donald trump supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

Yea that suits you completely,
    Here, the kids usually come in to bed first thing so I have craic with them firstly, as won't see them till late and they are all the news I need at that time of the morning.

I look at it at 10.00 tae, don't switch on Internet till then.
    Fair play, and that suits you. That time with the kids is definitely more important than anything else but mine are a bit gone past coming into the bed in the mornings. Although I’d have been doing well to have them up by 5.45 no matter what age they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A collector of old tractor and land rover parts for no obvious reason(luckily the chap I have in mind has no intention of ever joining the online community...);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Another thing I notice too is that most people I encounter who spent a good few years in America are great for the mornings snd always on time. One guy told me before that if you are 5 minutes early you are on time, if you are just on time you are late

Another thing I notice too is that most people I encounter who spent a good few years in America are great for the mornings snd always on time. One guy told me before that if you are 5 minutes early you are on time, if you are just on time you are late

People always being late really annoys me. Anyone can get delayed but when it's the same people all the time ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    People always being late really annoys me. Anyone can get delayed but when it's the same people all the time ....

That shows a general disrespect for everyone, like one has anything better to do but wait on them.

_Brian wrote: »
    That shows a general disrespect for everyone, like one has anything better to do but wait on them.

And then they think it's all a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

very true, it shows a complete lack of respect for others, coming around the corner on 2 wheels, roaring at people coz their late and under pressure.
    Well its not the worlds fault, its your own, plan your **** better and it wouldnt happen, but deep down they dont really care. The world is there to serve them, very selfish trait.

One of the teams one of my kids is on they are told if you are not at least 10 minutes early it's a strike against you getting picked for the team. With covid restrictions now the protocols have to be done before training can start. If someone is late a coach has to leave the team and go and sign the kid in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

whelan2 wrote: »
    One of the teams one of my kids is on they are told if you are not at least 10 minutes early it's a strike against you getting picked for the team. With covid restrictions now the protocols have to be done before training can start. If someone is late a coach has to leave the team and go and sign the kid in.
    So why not call the real time 10 minutes early?

Jjameson wrote: »
    So why not call the real time 10 minutes early?

Because then people would still be late. Look if I can be up, cows milked etc and be 45 minutes away for say 8.45am surely the rest of the team can also be there on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Ya, the fella I am at the shuttering with was in America for a few years and he is the same. We used to start at 7 most mornings during the summer and finish at 4 or earlier if we had everything ready for the following day because we are both farming aswell. Worked well, always try to have concrete coming first run in the morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭minerleague

So finally have a name for it ! I am a " rooter" left out a few signs :
    bales left in corner of meadow in summer for rootin in winter
    more vicegrips than spanners
    4 or 5 " vintage " yokes instead of 1 fresh one
    nice flighty lim/saler sucklers
    forms filled last possible second

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So finally have a name for it ! I am a " rooter" left out a few signs :
    bales left in corner of meadow in summer for rootin in winter
    more vicegrips than spanners
    4 or 5 " vintage " yokes instead of 1 fresh one
    nice flighty lim/saler sucklers
    forms filled last possible second

The shame of it
    We’ve square bales in a shed for handiness and feeding round bales with a mid 70’s tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    The shame of it
    We’ve square bales in a shed for handiness and feeding round bales with a mid 70’s tractor
    +1
    The youngest tractor on this farm is 1986. The lad with the auld tractors doesn't have to worry about meeting repayments and the dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree with electronic faults and they get the same job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭older by the day

Base price wrote: »
    +1
    The youngest tractor on this farm is 1986. The lad with the auld tractors doesn't have to worry about meeting repayments and the dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree with electronic faults and they get the same job done.

And feeling not guilty when you jump in with dirty wet oil skins and s nd slurry dripping off your Wellingtons. Or scrapping it off a big white thorn Bush going out narrow gaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

+1

Yea,and all the neighbors laughing at you sayin your backward as fucck, stuck in the dark ages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Do all the hard work here 7 to 1,very little done after dinner only fun stuff maybe the odd nap as well, up at 6 every morning including weekends head out for a few pints at 6 in evening friday and Saturday home at 9 bed by 10 when everyone else is going out, love early morning in summer great peace in place, non farming neighbour not 2 happy with me flat out in morning but sure what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

kerryjack wrote: »
    Do all the hard work here 7 to 1,very little done after dinner only fun stuff maybe the odd nap as well, up at 6 every morning including weekends head out for a few pints at 6 in evening friday and Saturday home at 9 bed by 10 when everyone else is going out, love early morning in summer great peace in place, non farming neighbour not 2 happy with me flat out in morning but sure what can you do.
    Can’t beat heading to the pub early like that when you are in a routine of early mornings. I used to dread the thought Of getting ready and heading out at 930 or so, would be half wrecked. I know a lot of people who wouldn’t leave their house to go out till 11 or so. I wouldn’t enjoy that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

kerryjack wrote: »

That’s me without the pub bit. In younger days often done 7 nights a week in the pub, now it’s hardly 7 nights a year.

Love getting out early too. Record is out topping at 4.30am (probably a contender for the lads in the white coats to bring me off!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

+1

My youngest one is 1967. I have a 57 and a 56 after that.

+1

Bought new tractor 5 years ago. Never regret it as I have serious comfort and safe for the kids to come too (seat and seat belt for them). Often it’s 8-9pm before I get to the yard during the week and need reliable yoke. Paid for last year so no repayments either!!!

But everyone to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Dunedin wrote: »
    That’s me without the pub bit. In younger days often done 7 nights a week in the pub, now it’s hardly 7 nights a year.

Love getting out early too. Record is out topping at 4.30am (probably a contender for the lads in the white coats to bring me off!!)

My ould lad was well know for being an early riser but it was the fags, he was a 80 or 100 goldflake a day man and you would heir him in the morning around 6 coughing it was like trying to start an ould diesel engine. He would wake the whole house Tea and fags for breakfast like he won't buy a pack it was by the carton he used buy them. Looking back now I would say more cigurate ash went to the creamery than milk. Mad times looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I was only saying to a neighbour yesterday I remember smoking in the hospital when I had a broken leg. Mad stuff. Thank God I gave them up years ago.

• Advertisement

Thankfully never smoked but remember well coming home from the pub and yer eyes would be burning from the smoking and not to mention the smell of yer clothes the next day.

Advertisement