Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit: Alternatives to Amazon.co.uk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

KungPao wrote: »
    Try having a look in the shops in your town, instead of sending all your money to Amazon / the Fatherland.
    Stop buying stuff you don't need!

handbags-at-dawn.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I bought some books recently off an Irish website, https://www.kennys.ie/

Happy with the prices and delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Will surely have an impact on the likes of Parcel Motel. I've ordered the Saga Compendium. Was supposed to ship yesterday. Going to Norn Iron. Now rescheduled to between now and October 22...... Have also ordered an autographed book from Waterstones that doesn't ship until late October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I had a look at Prime on the German site and Ireland isn’t listed as an available country. Am I missing something?

Otherwise postage seems quite expensive for items like CDs, books etc. and there doesn’t seem to be free shipping for spending over a certain amount.
    i'm not surprised, they're being posted from the year 2000.

ixoy wrote: »
    How about digital products, such as Kindle books? They should come under the €22 threshold but any confirmation? Can't really use the de site for ebooks.

For kindle books you can switch your region to the US site. They don't have the same selection of books as each other but you can switch between the UK and US regions in the Manage Your Content and Devices part of your account, under Preferences.

There can be price differences in either direction, but it's very straightforward to switch areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Cina wrote: »
    i'm not surprised, they're being posted from the year 2000.

I’ll never convert to the Kindle etc. I love an actual book in my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Depending on what you're looking to buy you might be better off using eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

ixoy wrote: »
    How about digital products, such as Kindle books? They should come under the €22 threshold but any confirmation? Can't really use the de site for ebooks.

When buying from outside the EU, if the order is under €22 all in, it's exempt from VAT. If it's intrinsic value is under €150, it's also exempt from customs duty. I'd say most Kindle books would therefore be VAT and customs duty free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've used Amazon.de, .fr and .es along with the US and UK sites. Some marketplace sellers won't ship to Ireland, but that's the case with all of the sites. All the EU sites are good for VAT registered business accounts too.

endacl wrote: »
    Dunno. Having to leave the gaff and walk into a shop to buy a plug would be a bit of a deal breaker for me. Do amazon sell plugs?

If it’s something you just leave plugged in you don’t even need an adaptor or to rewire it (which is easy enough anyway) you can just push the two pin plug into our sockets easily enough a screwdriver or scissors into the earth pin easily releases it to push in the two pin, I do it all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Depending on what you're looking to buy you might be better off using eBay.

ebay will be effected even more so than Amazon, duty will be payable on UK located products and most likely Parcel Motel et al will be unviable as they will be easy targets for revenue.

As long as personal transport is not subject to inspection collecting stuff from the likes of Argos in Newry may see a swift uptake.

If it’s something you just leave plugged in you don’t even need an adaptor or to rewire it (which is easy enough anyway) you can just push the two pin plug into our sockets easily enough a screwdriver or scissors into the earth pin easily releases it to push in the two pin, I do it all the time.

That's OK with a double insulated device that doesn't need an earth. Plug like this:

220px-Euro-Flachstecker_2.jpg

Not so good using something conductive like a scissors or screwdriver to do it. it's best not to be sicking non-insulated metal into any part of a 230V socket.

If it has a plug that requires an earth, it would be risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Amazon if they see a drop off will set up a .ie with accompanying logistics and local distribution.

phutyle wrote: »
    That's OK with a double insulated device that doesn't need an earth. Plug like this:

220px-Euro-Flachstecker_2.jpg

Not so good using something conductive like a scissors or screwdriver to do it. it's best not to be sicking non-insulated metal into any part of a 230V socket.

If it has a plug that requires an earth, it would be risky.

Yeah of course but all consumer electronics that people are buying online will be the two pin plug as above.

Agreed there is a tiny risk in sticking something into the socket but there should be nothing running in the earth so feck it I’ve always just chanced it.

Amazon if they see a drop off will set up a .ie with accompanying logistics and local distribution.

I would be surprised if Amazon set up a fulfillment center in Ireland to cater for the very small Irish market. They rely on serious volume, more than the domestic market can provide. But I'd be very, very happy if I was proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You appear to have mistakenly taken my post at face value.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Don't worry lads you can just mail all your goodies to my new warehouse in the North and i'll deliver them to your homes in the South for a minimal fee. Check out my website here www.undertheradarcouriers.com

Hard Border me hole? :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Spocker

Even with Amazon Prime membership?
      ELM327 wrote: »
      I think amazon prime gives you free delivery

Amazon Prime isn't free though - "Free Shipping over €25" from .co.uk doesn't require you to purchase an extra service like Prime.
      The first link oepend automatically with amazon app on my phone.

I suppose you need to be using browser to be able to change countries. Until today I have used only Amazon app on my phone to purchase the items.

Good idea though, just need to spend little extra time.

Nope, you can change the Amazon country you're buying from in the app - got to Settings->Country and Language

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The big question is whether packages over the threshold will be “caught”.

As it stands November / December is the worst time to order from non-EU sellers. But the rest of the year is mostly miss, not hit.

Amazon US now make you pay the VAT in advance. Wonder if Amazon UK will do the same. If not, then people may take their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Not sure what product you were looking at. But I get things under for €10 and it's free shipping from Amazon Prime. You can choose Prime only products and I didn't see "Free shipping over €25". For example I ordered tissue papers for €3 and it was delivered in 2 days and no shipping fee!

Regarding changing country in the app everytime and comparing and searching same product twice will consume more time, better to use a Web browser and open 2 different tabs.
      Spocker wrote: »
      Amazon Prime isn't free though - "Free Shipping over €25" from .co.uk doesn't require you to purchase an extra service like Prime.

Nope, you can change the Amazon country you're buying from in the app - got to Settings->Country and Language

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have seen on the news that prices of goods ordered from UK are going to spike in case of no deal Brexit.

I am wondering what are the alternatives available?

Does Amazon.de seem to have similar products available? And what about using English language on .de website?

Any one could share their experience /opinion on this?
      Use the American site.:confused:

Most things ship to Ireland its not that much more expensive than shipping within Ireland weirdly.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CelticSeaShip

I shop on amazon.de and some other German websites using Google chrome. Google chrome translates pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CelticSeaShip

KungPao wrote: »
      Try having a look in the shops in your town, instead of sending all your money to Amazon / the Fatherland.

I was looking tmat buying something earlier in the year. It was 150 euro in argos. I checked amazon.co.uk and I forget the price but I bought it from amazon.de for 90 which also included delivery. I got a few great deals shopping on amazon.de.

Then there's other stuff I buy and local shops just wouldn't have the supplies I want/need for my hobby and I go online. I try to buy from Irish shops but I put in orders to the UK and also to Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Use the American site.:confused:

Most things ship to Ireland its not that much more expensive than shipping within Ireland weirdly.

Items from the US are also subject to duty and VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Items from the US are also subject to duty and VAT.
      Its still often cheaper i find.

Anyway there are lots of versions of the site within the EU too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dam099

I have seen on the news that prices of goods ordered from UK are going to spike in case of no deal Brexit.

I am wondering what are the alternatives available?

Does Amazon.de seem to have similar products available? And what about using English language on .de website?

Any one could share their experience /opinion on this?

A lot of the news stories I have seen are overstating the impact by suggesting Irish VAT will add 23% to items.

Presently Amazon already charge 23% if shipping directly to Ireland (not the UK rate of 20%, any company selling over a certain threshold cross border within the EU has to do this).

Post Brexit they would be able to treat this as an export outside the UK (EU no longer relevant) and zero rate it for VAT.

Receiving in Ireland you would be liable for 23% VAT but what you paid Amazon would have been 23% less than before.

Where they will get you is on Customs Duty if item is above €150 and processing admin fees charged by the postal/courier company which would make small items in particular not worth it.

There was a suggestion in the Indo a few days ago from An Post that the likes of Amazon may do a duty paid model (like they do on the US site) where they would charge you up front for the VAT and duty as part of their pricing. It also mentioned sending stuff straight into An Post who would be doing the checking. Depending on how automated they make that and with the discounts they can probably get at their volumes the added cost to customers for this processing might not be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rodia77

This thread is now more relevant than a year ago so I'm not starting a new one.

As stated a few times earlier in the discussion, ordering from different Amazon sites in EU is not a problem, but convenient and cheap delivery is. I don't know of such mail forwarding channels from continental Europe to Ireland as we had from the UK (ParcelMotel, DPD ParcelWizard, An Post AddressPal), where you could order with a free UK delivery (not only from Amazon but from whatever merchant was offering that option) and only pay for the forward. DPD is shutting down the service in a few days, I don't know about the other two.

Has anyone come with any viable ideas of how to set oneself up for good online shopping experience from 2021 onwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amusingly the Amazon website can be opened by clicking the thread title at the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Oftentimes the delivery charge to Ireland from UK sellers on Ebay and Amazon UK can be a bit excessive so I use Parcelmotel to get the item shipped to Antrim, then DPD bring it down to a locker locally.

I presume a workaround like this will also suffer in the event of a no deal?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Just buy a fecking 2 euro adapter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tech-Traders-TTSCHUKO-European-Adaptor/dp/B078NG6THX/ref=sr_1_75?

No need to cut wires and void warranty

Advertisement