Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Trees or Mix of Trees for Roadside/Driveway

Options
  • 01-12-2020 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for any opinion here, there seems to be some great ones. I recently bought a house, it's in the country side and very close to a busy road, I also bought the field between the house and the road, it's only 2 acres but the problem is it doesn't have any proper trees along it and offers little to no privacy for my house. I'd love to plant some along the road and to the side of the drive way, a mix would be preferable.

I know that now is the best time to plant bare root so I'm looking at planting some trees. I'd love ones that don't shed but I I don't want the pine look. Is there anything I could plant along the road that would offer a little privacy, it doesn't need to completely block the house but I'd like to not have it looking so bleak and isolated?

I'd really like to avoid the hedge look.

hevsfe-2-600x405.jpg

All opinions are really appreciated, I'm a complete novice but I love the look of trees lining the roadside

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

If you don't want the hedge look, but want all year screening from the road, you could look at putting in a mix of holly and Scots Pine (both evergreen, yew also unless small kids or grazing animals present) with a mix of other native "interesting" deciduous (shed the leaves in winter) such as spindle, guelder rose, hazel- these three are large shrubs/small trees. You can also plant some oak, birch, whitebeam and rowan-the last two produce great berries for wildlife, the oak will outlive your great-grandkids and the birch is a relatively quick grower. By mixing these, and staggering the planting you will achieve the screening you want while it looking informal with some interest all year.

Edit- my suggestion is essentially to plant a linear native woodland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Like said hirondelle A mix would work great. If you want to avoid deciduous. Then your look at holly, evergreen oak, nothofagus, eucalyptus, personally I wouldn't be ruling out some deciduous trees too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭blackbox

Are you looking for something that will grow into tall trees or are you planning to keep them clipped?

Perhaps you could post a picture of the "look" you want to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DonalB1

Thank you for all the response. I’m not ruling out the evergreens but I just don’t like some of the pine trees are a bit bleak looking. But I would ideally like trees that keep their leaves too so I suppose to find a nice mix.

@hirondelle You mention staggering the planting, what does this mean or look like?

Also there will be cattle grazing nearby and possibly some ponies in the field.

I attached photos of the sort of trees that may be nice and maybe some trees that don’t shed in amongst them to add some colour in winter. What do people think?

blackbox wrote: »
    Are you looking for something that will grow into tall trees or are you planning to keep them clipped?

Perhaps you could post a picture of the "look" you want to achieve.

I’d prefer if the roadside ones were ones that didn’t need to be kept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree about a woodland mixture, don't be too worried about some deciduous, you will still get screening to some extent even from deciduous trees. All the suggestions have been great (though reservations about eucalyptus ), certainly some holly and possibly laurel, some shrubs will grow quite large left to themselves, check out broadleaf evergreens.

Everyone need a eucalyptus... but they should sell them with a chainsaw :)

looksee wrote: »
    I agree about a woodland mixture, don't be too worried about some deciduous, you will still get screening to some extent even from deciduous trees. All the suggestions have been great (though reservations about eucalyptus ), certainly some holly and possibly laurel, some shrubs will grow quite large left to themselves, check out broadleaf evergreens.

How thick or how many rows would I need to get that screening?

I’ve attached a google earth photo of it. The land has been divided up different to the back of the house now so I also have the field behind it also. But there’s no privacy and coming home yesterday I couldn’t help but notice how isolate and bleak it looked. I’d love some trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

My suggestion is Arbutus Unedo... native Irish, evergreen with red strawberry fruits and small white flowers. It is also called the Strawberry tree. It wont grow enormous. A lot of roadside verge trees have a relatively short lifespan of c 40 yrs eg cherry, rowan. So take longevity and ultimate height into consideration. Stay clear of sycamore as it seeds itself everywhere and can be considered a weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Lots of Holly. And avoid eucalyptus. That fu¢ker doesn't know when to stop growing.

• Advertisement

Absolutely avoid sycamore, weed of a tree! I was going to mention the arbutus, lovely large shrub, lots of interest.

Looking at that image it appears you will be putting in trees to the south and south west, so don't put in anything too tall, or you will completely shade your house and lawn. I would suggest some large shrubs (I would consider arbutus to fit in here), maybe hazel, holly, vibernum, lilac (though it can be a bit either temperamental or over vigorous, depends on your soil), with just one or two decent sized trees - silver birch, rowen, amelanchier, crab apple, all medium sized to give a bit of height without shading you too much. Two irregular rows would be enough, I don't think you have space for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭macraignil

Some good suggestions already for trees to have in the mix. I'd like to add sweet chestnut as a nice deciduous tree that grows big and the nuts are edible if you wait for them to mature. If you have dry ground hazel might be another productive edible to consider. Crab apple are nice and one of the most robust small trees that could be worth including is the haw thorn which provide a good safe nesting place for birds with their thorny branches, nice flowers early in the year and fruit for the birds in winter. For evergreen options there are varieties of cotoneaster, barberry and pyracantha that are not quite trees but grow fairly big and as well as being evergreen have nice berries for feeding the wildlife. Laurel and olearia traversii are also nice evergreen options.

OP, I see what you mean about bleak! As said, assuming the google pic is right way up you need to be conscious of eventually blocking out the light onto the house and lawn. Sticking with my preference for linear native, you might plant pockets of the taller trees, with stretches of holly, guelder rose, hawthorn in between- the local hedging contractor could top these (saving you the maintenance issue and allowing you to set the "final" height on it- just noticed and Looksee expresses it better! Any livestock need to be kept at grazing length from the young plants, so plant back from the fence. People have different opinions on planting distance- personally, I plant with enough width to get puch mower between the saplings, this means suppressing the grass until the trees have become established is less of a task.

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful suggestions. I'm going to order some of all the above. genuinely the suggestions are great and please feel free to keep them coming or share any pics you have because I love seeing it and getting ideas.

Can I ask, is there any website that shows the best way to dig and plant these? And shows the formation and spacing to plant them at? Is it ok to plant the shrubs in between the trees, it won't interfere with the roots? Also do I need to buy a certain clay that'll help them take?

Also is there anywhere to buy Arbutus Unedo relatively cheap? I see it mentioned as a shrub but it looks like a tree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

DonalB1 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for all the wonderful suggestions. I'm going to order some of all the above. genuinely the suggestions are great and please feel free to keep them coming or share any pics you have because I love seeing it and getting ideas.

Can I ask, is there any website that shows the best way to dig and plant these? And shows the formation and spacing to plant them at? Is it ok to plant the shrubs in between the trees, it won't interfere with the roots? Also do I need to buy a certain clay that'll help them take?

Also is there anywhere to buy Arbutus Unedo relatively cheap?

Get a good strong spade, you dont need to make a hole as you will be planting bareroot trees/plants (holly will be potted) you just make a slit in the ground deep and wide enough for the roots. Some trees have bushy roots and you ll have to wiggle a bigger slot/hole. Place the tree in the hole making sure the top of the roots are below ground level. Hold the tree straight and press the earth down around the roots to close the hole. Hold the top of the tree between your thumb and fingers and give it a thug, if it doesnt budge, its grand.

Throw out one species at a time, randomly or whatever way you want. If you have 100metres to plant and 20 of each species, then throw them 1 every 25metres. Do the larger ones first to give you an idea of spacing.

As another poster mentioned keep at least a metre between trees/shrubs for maintainence.(if planting a linear wood) if you are planting a straigth line hedge, then a foot apart you couod do 2 lines staggered 18 inch apart.

Dont forget to protect against rabbits either with tree protectors or fencing the area with chicken wire.

I wouldnt fertilise but depends on your soit etc. you could get a truck load of mulch/woodchip to help suppress grass/weeds.

Trees are great, plant loads ;)

Throw out one species at a time, randomly or whatever way you want. If you have 100metres to plant and 20 of each species, then throw them 1 every 25metres. Do the larger ones first to give you an idea of spacing.

I'm a little bit lost on this, do you mean 20 in total over 100 meters or 20 of each tree? Hahaha

I plan on buying 2-3 of all the different types above, potentially going in a row along the road about 1-2 meters apart with shrubs in between. Something like - Evergreen oak - Hawthorn - Birch - Barberry - Arbutus - Hawthorn - Mountain Ash . With a meter or so between the trees and then have the shrubs in that meter space. Would that work? Or is there a better method?
    Trees are great, plant loads ;)

Completely agree, where I've bought, it's stone walls and fields everywhere, which can be a bit bleak at times and offers no privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

Holm Oak(big), Bay, and Yew are also worth consideration as evergreens. You could also try Hornbeam which may or may not hold it's dead leaves, but has lovely structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I got a load of this sort of stuff from future forests in cork.underplanted with native ferns. The polys on the list.
    Fuscia adds a bit of colour. Mess of the order here...

Polypodium vulgare
    9cm Pot

Polystichum setiferum - 2L Pot3

Euonymus europaeus - Spindle 2-3ft Bareroot -

Cornus sanguinea 2-3ft Bareroot

Lonicera periclymenum - Honeysuckle 9cm Pot (Young Plant 2-3'')

Apple Bloody Butcher

Apple Dick Davies -

Sorbus aria - Whitebeam 3-4ft Bareroot

Prunus padus - Bird Cherry 2-3ft Bareroot

Crataegus monogyna - Hawthorn 1-2ft Bareroot -

Betula pendula - Silver Birch 2-3ft Bareroot

Arbutus unedo - Strawberry Tree 1.3L Pot (6-9'' Bushy)

Ilex aquifolium - Holly 9cm Pot (Young Plant 1ft)

Rosa rugosa Alba - Rugosa Rose 1ft Bareroot

Ligustrum vulgare - Native privet 2-3ft Bareroot

Prunus spinosa - Blackthorn 2-3ft Bareroot

Fuchsia magellanica Alba - White Fuchsia 1-2ft Bareroot

Corylus avellana - Hazel 2-3ft Bareroot

All native stuff. Great time of year to get bareroot into the the ground.

I'm a little bit lost on this, do you mean 20 in total over 100 meters or 20 of each tree? Hahaha

I plan on buying 2-3 of all the different types above, potentially going in a row along the road about 1-2 meters apart with shrubs in between. Something like - Evergreen oak - Hawthorn - Birch - Barberry - Arbutus - Hawthorn - Mountain Ash . With a meter or so between the trees and then have the shrubs in that meter space. Would that work? Or is there a better method?

Completely agree, where I've bought, it's stone walls and fields everywhere, which can be a bit bleak at times and offers no privacy.

I was giving the example of 20 trees of each species. But the principle is the same for any amount.

The method you suggest would be grand. Larger trees every metre then shrubs in between.

Sounds like Roscommon/Galway?

I was giving the example of 20 trees of each species. But the principle is the same for any amount.

The method you suggest would be grand. Larger trees every metre then shrubs in between.

Sounds like Roscommon/Galway?

Nail on the head. I'm not sure why they got rid of all the trees? Where I' originally from the road side is lined with trees and it's incredible in summer.

Really appreciate the feedback everyone.

I'm thinking of mainly going with
    Trees
    Arbutus Unedo
    Scots Pine
    Evergreen Oak
    Birch
    Rowan Mountain
    Oak
    Sweet Chestnut
    Hawthorn

and then filling in withhawthorn and Barberry shrubs in between

Are any of these a danger to grazing animals?

Also where is the best place to buy bare root online ?

• Advertisement

Choices look good to me.

I've heard that future forests are good to order from but gone to collect myself when I have got trees and shrubs from them and the stock I got was good. Their website is closed until Sunday according to a pop up notification I just saw because they have been so busy. Maybe there's a lot of lock down gardeners about at the moment.
    Happy gardening!

Nail on the head. I'm not sure why they got rid of all the trees? Where I' originally from the road side is lined with trees and it's incredible in summer.

Really appreciate the feedback everyone.

I'm thinking of mainly going with
    Trees
    Arbutus Unedo
    Scots Pine
    Evergreen Oak
    Birch
    Rowan Mountain
    Oak
    Sweet Chestnut
    Hawthorn

and then filling in withhawthorn and Barberry shrubs in between

I'd say they were never there in the first place, probably after the enclosure act it was whatever material was handy to divide up the lands to make stockproof boundaries for fields.

As for danger to grazing animals, I think the trees are in danger from them more than the other way round. But I dont know if any would be toxic to grazers, someone else might know.

I cant advise on supplier as Im lucky enough in North Cork to have access to a few here in Cork and South Tipp.

Most will have the whitethorn, oak, rowan, birch, pine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Some great suggestions here - thou I’m not a fan of Holm (evergreen) oak as they look very weary & wasted as they get older IMO. St Annes Park by the sea in Raheny is famous for them as they take well to the sea air/climate but there are scraggy and there are far nicer trees and much more beautiful foliage IMO.

The pic the OP first posted was grisillenia - an evergreen tall growning shrub that was a big hit in gardens in the 1980’s. We had them at home ( still have) & they give great evergreen cover but need good clipping and managing and
    they can grow 15-20 foot if left to their own devices! Check the label - maybe there are different varities!

I ordered and planted pre grown ( ie 15-twenty foot high) MULTI STEMMED BETULA ( multi stemmed silver birch) which were the best things I ever bought for the house. Because they are multi stemmed you get a lot of growth from the base up and so a huge amount of coverage not just a single trunk with growth on top. I’d really recommend a few. But they are not evergreen but they are beautiful. Also the bark is silvery and beautiful and they grow very tall - now up above the 3rd floor & roof !! They provide a lovely nesting habitat for the birds and native wildlife .

I’d +1 for traditional Irish hedgerows - like whitethorn and hawthorn etc they will encourage native wildlife and butterflies etc which are really struggling - as well as great suggestions here the Irish Seed Bank and Irish Native Woodland Trust have good websites as well as a company that sells old Irish and more unusual traditional fruiting trees grown from seed - might be an interesting mix for those apple pies and cooking in the future!

Laurels and yew are I think poisonous so I wouldn’t be a big fan. But lots of people put in copper beach hedging a few years back - It was quite the thing and beautiful in Autumn. Red robbin is the trend now. Like potentilla and pointsettia in the early 90’s - hardy, flowering with different varieties growing quite tall and offering a lot of interest and flowers at different times of the year. Dogwood (vibrant red stems) and bushy flowers in summer (but dicidious) is also great as is orange blossom ( very tall grower, semi hardy, and beautiful white flowers with stunning scent)

I would say OP that many garden centers often only carry stock that look good or flower at that precise time of year - so I’d urge caution at buying everything at the same time or you will definately miss out.

I’d also urge not to plant up jammed against a boundary fence as if it grows out the council (or neighbours) will mangle the overgrowing branches and you could be left with a tangle of shattered and snapped main branches with all the nests and foliage hacked to pieces and just dense branches or ugly thick trucks & little
    greenery left.

Weeping willows are beautiful too IMO - you’d have the space for a full grown one - not the tiny three foot ones you get in Lidl/Supermarkets! With a carpet of snowdrops or bluebells planted beneath them.

Also Acer can be really beautiful and add fabulous dynamic striking colour in Autumn - beat to buy them as their leaves turn as you can really judge what you will get then - you wouod have to plant them in a big hole lined with a few
    foot deep of pure peat moss or ericeous soil as
    they are like free plants.

Also I’d plant all new
    trees and shrubs in at least a foot or farmyard manure or well rotted horse manure to give them a good start. much better than woodchips which will take years to rot into usefulness and are not a ‘proper’ enrichment for new plants.

I planted two (evergreen) pittisporum (niagrii) for blocking in my garden - some
    people keep them pruned as tall hedges but I
    let them grow as full grown trees -
    they have that classical beautiful shape, are
    evergreen and have tiny flowers in the summer. I have the varigated type with green leaves with white edges - great cover and not too dense green and lovely all year round. My
    neighbour planted the black leaved version but IMO its too dark. Evergreen also thou.

So excited for you! Good luck and don’t buy all
    at the same time!!! Also DO leave lots of width between trees and shrubs for growing - I really made that mistake!!

It might be worth looking around the area - are there any trees at all growing? Are the trees that are growing any way stunted looking? Are there houses with trees in the gardens that look healthy? It may be the area is not suited to trees.

I would suggest 1 meter is too close for large trees. If you squash in trees and shrubs you get a hedge, is that what you want or do you want a more woodland looking effect? If you want to see the shape of the trees and shrubs give them a bit of space.

I am not sure that sweet chestnut or oak would be suited to the apparently challenging situation you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It might be worth looking around the area - are there any trees at all growing? Are the trees that are growing any way stunted looking? Are there houses with trees in the gardens that look healthy? It may be the area is not suited to trees.

I would suggest 1 meter is too close for large trees. If you squash in trees and shrubs you get a hedge, is that what you want or do you want a more woodland looking effect? If you want to see the shape of the trees and shrubs give them a bit of space.

I am not sure that sweet chestnut or oak would be suited to the apparently challenging situation you have.

The OP has two acres and a
    field!! Or am I missing something!? I’d hardly call that restrictive or a challenging space!

Thanks again for all the help.

Just to clarify, the aerial photo I shared was a few years ago, I also own two acres to the back of the house along the road way.

Definitely, definitely, looking for the woodland effect. What sort of spacing or assortment would you recommend for this? I'm really looking forward to it, but I want to get the right mix of natural looking and cover.

Thanks for the insightful psot JUstAThought, I'll add a couple of those to my list also :D

Is there a supplier that delivers to Ireland that is relatively cheap? Or how much should I be looking at for some of these tree's? I've found a lot for 3-5 euro bare root but the evergreens are 50-100 each :eek:

I'd say they were never there in the first place, probably after the enclosure act it was whatever material was handy to divide up the lands to make stockproof boundaries for fields.

As for danger to grazing animals, I think the trees are in danger from them more than the other way round. But I dont know if any would be toxic to grazers, someone else might know.

I cant advise on supplier as Im lucky enough in North Cork to have access to a few here in Cork and South Tipp.

Most will have the whitethorn, oak, rowan, birch, pine.

Yew is the main danger to livestock- if the OP puts in barberry, the main danger is to the OP!! (just joking on their prickly nature).

I think the op,s first pic is a Cupressus probably leylandi.

hirondelle wrote: »
    Yew is the main danger to livestock- if the OP puts in barberry, the main danger is to the OP!! (just joking on their prickly nature).

:P:D Touche

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all the help.

Just to clarify, the aerial photo I shared was a few years ago, I also own two acres to the back of the house along the road way.

Definitely, definitely, looking for the woodland effect. What sort of spacing or assortment would you recommend for this? I'm really looking forward to it, but I want to get the right mix of natural looking and cover.

Thanks for the insightful psot JUstAThought, I'll add a couple of those to my list also :D

Is there a supplier that delivers to Ireland that is relatively cheap? Or how much should I be looking at for some of these tree's? I've found a lot for 3-5 euro bare root but the evergreens are 50-100 each :eek:

To get a good number of trees cheaper it can be better to get them as forestry whips which are usually about a metre in height and the ones listed in this price list from a tree supplier close to where I live are between a euro and four euro each. Having planted a number of these smaller trees close to where I live I have found they settle in faster and have outgrown some much bigger and more expensive trees I got. It is also worth shopping around and you might find one tree is cheaper with one supplier but they are more expensive for another type. Having recently planted a hedge of haw thorn and hornbeam for example I got the two types of tree from different suppliers. The supplier linked above was the better price for the hawthorn hedging(different price list) but was dearer for hornbeam so I went with Hillside nurseries which is also nearby for them.

Advertisement