Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C.I. Leisure Licence Price increase?

Options
  • 30-11-2020 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

I just got an email from C.I. informing me that I can renew my licence for next year. I've paid 50 euro for the past few years, for which I recieved personal accident and third party cover. Apparently, that's all changed and I now have pay an extra 10 euro for the personal accident cover.

Considering there have been very few if any significant leisure events this year, we're now being asked to pay an extra 10 euro for the privilege of personal cover. That seems mad if we're trying to encourage more new membership and stop current members from not renewing. It may 'only be' 10 euro extra, but there is a principle here that leisure members appear to bear the brunt of price increases and/or devalued membership.

I'd like to know who proposed that personal cover for leisure riders be made an 'add on'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Insurance claims across all areas of society are driving this I'm sure.

I've no real issue with an increase myself given that I'll be renewing for racing that will have the same increase I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

It may be that a lot of leisure members don't want it, or CI noticed that very few leisure riders were using it, so rather than pass on an increase to all members, made it an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The full competition licence price does appear to have been increased, but the leisure licence gets a disproportionately bigger increase for 2021. Making personal cover an 'add on' diminishes the leisure licence.

Raising the price ito 55 euro without any add ons would have been a better call IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

It was raised and approved at the AGM.

It was raised and approved at the AGM.

I'm aware of that and had seen the proposed fees schedule for 2021. I was wondering who initially proposed it and if the leisure membership are seen as the patsies within Cycling Ireland.

• Advertisement

The CI AGM was a virtual one this year. An email was sent to members and the Annual Report was available online before the event.

I'm not an apologist for CI but only 29.9% of attendees voted against the proposal for the increase in licence fees. I was one of them.

There is no point in complaining online or elsewhere if you didn't attend the meeting or read the documentation. Every year the majority of CI AGM attendees are from a racing background. If every leisure club sent even one nominee they would outvote them.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

from looking at what they offer for the €10 more is it not worth it?, its the price of a "substantial meal " these days so can't see a problem with €10 for 12 months

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm involved with a (non cycling) non-profit, and our insurance costs have gone up 500% over the last few years (would have been 1000% had we not fought hard). my gut reaction is that if you're not happy with the increase, it's not CI you should be annoyed with.

The CI AGM was a virtual one this year. An email was sent to members and the Annual Report was available online before the event.

I'm not an apologist for CI but only 29.9% of attendees voted against the proposal for the increase in licence fees. I was one of them.

There is no point in complaining online or elsewhere if you didn't attend the meeting or read the documentation. Every year the majority of CI AGM attendees are from a racing background. If every leisure club sent even one nominee they would outvote them.
    I don't remember an email but I take your point. Thank you for the details on the vote. I might look at making a submission with suggestions on the leisure membership for the next AGM.

i'm involved with a (non cycling) non-profit, and our insurance costs have gone up 500% over the last few years (would have been 1000% had we not fought hard). my gut reaction is that if you're not happy with the increase, it's not CI you should be annoyed with.
    I'm aware of the hit many indoor activity/kids soft play etc. are facing. The leisure licence increase just seemed a bit disproportionate... another renewal and another charge to pay at this time of year! Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

CI must have missed out on a lot of one-day licences from people like me who attend one or two charity events a year.

Aside: Is there really anything in it for the likes of me to pay an annual fee? I cycle a fair bit, on my tod usually, not interested in weekly club spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

NBar wrote: »
    from looking at what they offer for the €10 more is it not worth it, its the price of a "substantial meal " these days

Yep, Totally agree - its well worth it .

Roadtoad wrote: »
    CI must have missed out on a lot of one-day licences from people like me who attend one or two charity events a year.

Aside: Is there really anything in it for the likes of me to pay an annual fee? I cycle a fair bit, on my tod usually, not interested in weekly club spins.

The one day licence will be called the "Event Licence" and will cost €10 in 2021, €20 for competitive events. Five events and you've paid for a leisure licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Morris Garren

Its only a tenner and well worth it if cycling regularly. The average bike these days is about 200 times the cost of it- at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...There is no point in complaining online or elsewhere if you didn't attend the meeting or read the documentation. Every year the majority of CI AGM attendees are from a racing background. If every leisure club sent even one nominee they would outvote them.
    Reminds me of my 15 years as a branch secretary of a trade union. 500 members but we'd be lucky to get 25 to attend an AGM. Of those, 15 or so would have to be elected to the new committee. Yet, the whingers on the ground, who never bother their arse attending any AGM would go around complaining about the 'same old faces' on the committee ever year. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Last year I signed up for automatic renewal for 5years at a reduced rate. I haven’t seen anything saying I have to pay extra next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Its only a tenner and well worth it if cycling regularly. The average bike these days is about 200 times the cost of it- at least.

No it's not, and certainly not for many thousands of leisure cyclists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is there any difference in what you get for your cover this year compared to last year. I know the excess and other such things had gotten larger over the last few years as an attempt to nip the increasing prices in the bud.

I was at the AGM, memory is fuzzy but the majority seemed to be in favour, there was very little in the chat function going against it. A large number of clubs would have decided on what way to vote before hand and won't change their mind on the day so I was surprised it carried with such little opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ruffmut

I was going to renew my licence yesterday and spotted this increase alright. I was going to add the insurance add on for peace of mind but spotted this in the small print " This will cover you from time of purchase to the end of the calendar year (31st December)".

I have asked CI to clarify this statement. If I renew before the end of 2020 does the personal accident expire on the 31st Dec 2020.

ruffmut wrote: »
    I was going to renew my licence yesterday and spotted this increase alright. I was going to add the insurance add on for peace of mind but spotted this in the small print " This will cover you from time of purchase to the end of the calendar year (31st December)".

I have asked CI to clarify this statement. If I renew before the end of 2020 does the personal accident expire on the 31st Dec 2020.

Good idea to ask for clarity but this typically means from the date of purchase to the end of the calendar year the license relates to, un this case it would be 2021.

• Advertisement

The main problem is CI's fee structure.

- Leisure Licence fees were unchanged for the last three years.
    - The motion included increases in the One Day licence to €10 for Leisure members and €20 for Competitive events. I'm all for that increase as unattached participants should pay more than licence holders.
    - There was no room for discussion - the whole fee structure had to be adopted or rejected.
    - In my opinion CI should separate leisure fees from Competition fees and vote on them individually.
    - CI sees licence fees as a significant funding stream and it is going to be very difficult to have a discussion at an AGM as the Board can always state that they must act in CI's best interest and maintain an income stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask this question, but can anybody lay out the advantages in paying a leisure cyclist membership to the CI?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ruffmut

cletus wrote: »
    Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask this question, but can anybody lay out the advantages in paying a leisure cyclist membership to the CI?

The only thing I can see is that you get third party insurance and if you pay the extra €10 personal accident cover. Otherwise there is no other value unless you do a lot of events, then you do not need to take out a one day licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

cletus wrote: »

Here's one -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7166305/Cyclist-Robert-Hazeldean-left-bankrupt-yoga-teacher-Gemma-Brushett-knocked-London.html

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

If you are unattached to a club there is very little advantage in purchasing leisure membership. In the past I have simply paid the extra 1 day license for the various leisure events (at the time it was €5 per event). You'd need to do 10 events in the year to make the license worthwhile, I'd have been lucky to do 5 so it was a no-brainer. I'm not even sure the insurance covers you when you are out on your own so even that benefit is moot. As a club member however it's a pre-requisite and to be fair €50 over the course of a year is not much when you get out every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Does CI leisure licence with insurance add-on cover you for commuting?

AFAIK any licence covers you once you're out on your bike "training" whether that is as an individual, group ride or commute.

Off topic but his legal team should be in under the thumb for not advising him to counter claim in this scenario, surely they failed in their professional duties to not recognise the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

4k damages and 100k of fees illustrates just how rotten the legal system is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I don't remember an email but I take your point. Thank you for the details on the vote. I might look at making a submission with suggestions on the leisure membership for the next AGM.
    theres a leisure commission i m sure they would love to here your views. leisure@cyclingireland.ie
    the agm is very race oriented,

Advertisement