Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting restrictions on a murder

Options
  • 30-11-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on the news there.
    Never saw this kind of thing before.

Why would there be reporting restrictions on someone charged with murder.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Apparently because they were children

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

See the legal forum for details

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058126707/1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,929 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

begbysback wrote: »
    Apparently because they were children

Bit of a farce, I appreciate the sensitivity of this appalling incident but there was full coverage of this, even the funeral was covered. TV cameras also outside dun Laoghaire court house this morning and it would take a genius to work out who's been charged.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The mother and 2 kids murdered in broadford were all over papers etc... Now they can't name them or the killer!!! Mind boggling stuff, to be honest the kids are dead so who is it protecting.

I understand if alive and to protect innocence but it's actually gone beyond belief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What is the difference between this case and the murder of the children in Newcastle at the start of the year where the person charged has been named all over the media.

Can someone shed light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, personally, would like to see restrictions on all cases involving serious crime. It gets a bit ghoulish hearing the latest “updates” throughout the day on the radio.

Are jurors in “high profile” cases supposed to stay offline, not listen to the news and not read the paper? In this day and age that’s easier said.

The tide is turning…

The legal industry serving society again, I see

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Their names were released at the time though, and for the funerals. It's not exactly a secret. There were not too many murders reported in South Dublin involving 3 people, 2 of them children, in October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

This is a new ruling that just happened recently. It wasn't passed when the family were murdered but it is in place now so that the restrictions are in place . Its just a coincidence that its protecting his identity now. May he rot in hell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

The families name was plastered all over the news over the weekend,
    Are we all supposed to fall into this Irish solution to an Irish problem and pretend we don't know who is being discussed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Be right back

kenmc wrote: »
    Their names were released at the time though, and for the funerals. It's not exactly a secret. There were not too many murders reported in South Dublin involving 3 people, 2 of them children, in October

I feel sorry for the family in their home country who wanted them to be buried there instead of here.

I feel sorry for the family in their home country who wanted them to be buried there instead of here.
    Definitely. The kids went to my kids school too, but thankfully for us, not in their classes. School have been very good about how the dealt with it.

From d'paper:

"They cannot be named for legal reasons as a result of a ruling in another case, in the Court of Appeal, last month. It found that the anonymity provisions of the Children Act can also apply to deceased children who were crime victims.

Section 252 (1) of the Children Act, 2001 states: "In relation to any proceedings for an offence against a child or where a child is a witness in any such proceedings, no report which reveals the name, address, or school of the child or includes any particulars likely to lead to his or her identification”.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So if someone kills a child does their identity remain anonymous even after conviction?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

As others have said their names are out there, parents weren't living together, she was living in fear of being killed and had been recently assaulted, her family saw her injuries on a video call, she had a protection order to stop a man in his mid 30s coming to her home ...

The horse has bolted here.

It's an awful tragedy and I have huge sympathy for her family in India. It must be very difficult come to terms with when you don't have the opportunity to say goodbye and the funerals were here against their wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

I don’t understand this, was there a particular reason in regards to the people involved that there is reporting restrictions, ie because it was a family member who killed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    What is the difference between this case and the murder of the children in Newcastle at the start of the year where the person charged has been named all over the media.

Can someone shed light on this?

Same

eviltwin wrote: »
    So if someone kills a child does their identity remain anonymous even after conviction?

Well the two scrotes who killed ana kriegel have anonymity, for some reason, even very recent cases against people acused of spreading their names in social media

Another thing is the Gardai looking for CCTV and doing garden searches exactly 30 days after the murder, bit late to the gate there to be honest, bins were collected twice in that time and weather etc...

• Advertisement

So basically it's a law that is from years ago, wasn't followed but now is and it protects the criminal scum.... Brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Have noticed with local papers recently that if someone is caught with no motor tax they are named but half a kilo of cocaine they aren't ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

kenmc wrote: »
    Well the two scrotes who killed ana kriegel have anonymity, for some reason, even very recent cases against people acused of spreading their names in social media

That was different and unrelated to this ruling; they were underage so not named

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Jizique wrote: »
    That was different and unrelated to this ruling; they were underage so not named

Surprised how much effort was made to protect their identity ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Because we live in a society where gardai do nothing to stop crime, and in the rare cases criminals are caught they are protected from reputational harm, and then given some of the most mickey sentences on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Surprised how much effort was made to protect their identity ,

That was to counter the concerted effort to expose their identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I can understand names ofinors who are alive being withheld irrespective of whether they are the victim or the perpetrator.

But dead, makes little sense.

In the case of take, I feel the accused should also be given anonymity unless found guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Should be a blanket ban on nameing people before convictions - Joe Public has no concept of the phrase 'innocent until proven guilty'.

After a conviction, sure - no problem.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The_Brood wrote: »
    Because we live in a society where gardai do nothing to stop crime, and in the rare cases criminals are caught they are protected from reputational harm, and then given some of the most mickey sentences on the planet.

That took longer than expected.

It was raining today, that the fault of the Gardai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I do get the feeling that a lot of legal hours are wasted trying to re-cork the bottle that is technology and instant communications, the technology moves way faster then ineffectual regulations catch up.

Advertisement