Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H2S - yes H2S - questions

• 02-11-2020 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have acquired a used H.2S device for my 'playtime'. Free is always good :)

It had iPabTV installed which of course was not only completely out of date but had a boatfull of dodgy addons installed which no longer worked also.

To get me started I eventually managed to install OpenPLi 7.3 on the device. That at least has allowed me to see the Zgemma does work, but honestly not a lot else, as Enigma is a stranger to me.

What I would like to do is install the most suitable image for my initial test purposes, and need advice on which to choose.

I would like to use the Zgemma as a Sat>IP server for the two DVB-S tuners built in, and maybe add a couple of DVB-T tuners using USB tuner sticks also (AF9015). I want to investigate its use to feed a backend server for my distributed TV.

I did notice that Sat>IP client software was present, but that is not presently of interest. It did find my existing Sat>IP tuners.

Anyway, if I could be given basic advice regarding the selection of the E2 version and a few pointers how to easily find the sections of interest I would appreciate that.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭swoofer

To make the H2S work like a charm hop over to techkings and look at Grogbuild, I did it for a freind and they are delighted. And there is good support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

swoofer wrote: »
    To make the H2S work like a charm hop over to techkings and look at Grogbuild, I did it for a freind and they are delighted. And there is good support.

I read this thread this morning and decided to update my H2S. I had Wooshbuild with openatv 6.3 and it worked well but sometimes it would freeze.
    Put on Grogbuild and the speed difference is really noticeable. Epg open instantly, menus too with no loading circle.
    I'll test for a few days but so far this is the best image I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The big question for me ......

is there a plugin available for a Sat>IP Server (no interest in client).

Thanks.

Today I got 2 x DVB-S and 2 x DVB-T tuners working, so am quite happy the hardware will do what I need ...... next is the firmware and software.

I tried Grogbuild last night but failed to get it working.
    Apparently OpenPli mounts the external drive at /media/usb and not at /media/hdd as expected.
    At least that is how it appeared to me, but as I am completely new to things Enigma (this is my first ever time trying it) it is probably more likely I made some error.
    That is the besides the minor complication of me trying to understand what is to be done from the instructions, which are for Windows users.

Anyway, back on OpenPLi this morning, and going to see how long it will take me to break it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I tried Grogbuild last night but failed to get it working.
    Apparently OpenPli mounts the external drive at /media/usb and not at /media/hdd as expected.
    At least that is how it appeared to me, but as I am completely new to things Enigma (this is my first ever time trying it) it is probably more likely I made some error.
    That is the besides the minor complication of me trying to understand what is to be done from the instructions, which are for Windows users.

Anyway, back on OpenPLi this morning, and going to see how long it will take me to break it :D

Tell the truth, you're having the time of your life :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Tell the truth, you're having the time of your life :D:D:D

That I cannot deny :D:D:D

Can you tell - is there any image for this device which might have Tvheadend Server plugin available?

I got minisatip to run on OpenPLi but would need to learn how to configure it for my needs if I am to use it.

It would take much less effort on my part if I could use TVH. ;)

Couldn't see anything suitable on openVix. (not that I'd know anyway)

I've been doing a little testing on this box, and am quite surprised at the temp of the CPU.

While streaming 3 SD channels and 1 HD channel the CPU is showing as
    90 C (2 x DVB-T; 2 x DVB-S)

This seems rather very high to me ...... but no sign of degradation of the received channels. Maybe the CPU does not have thermal throttling!
    CPU BCM7362A0 752 MHz

I suspect it could do with a heatsink. :)

I failed to find any E2 image with a Tvheadend server plugin available.
    I was rather surprised TBH.
    The TVH client is quite common.

So last night I took the alternate track and having set up a favourites bouquet I exported the .m3u8 file and used that in TVH server on a different device, and have all favourites available through Kodi on my PC.

This method is not as easily managed as TVH server would be on the Zgemma, but it does get all the channels mapped in the TVH server and so available to all.

The Zgemma needs to be put into standby for this to operate correctly, else there is always one tuner used, as apparently it cannot be switched on without some channel being displayed.

It is a manageable work-around, but only that.
    The system would be better integrated if the tuners themselves could be exported using TVH server as Sat>IP tuners.

Thanks all for the assistance.

I have a feew more details to sort out but have a working scheme.

I also received a second Zgemma (whose CPU also runs very hot) so now have four sat tuners across the two boxes available should I want them.

I guess this is the end of my quest ........ unless someone comes across a TVH server plugin for any of the E2 operating systems.
    If yes I would immediately change to using that.

;)

I finally got the result I was seeking, using minisatip on OpenATV.

The tuners from the Zgemma are exported and can be managed by TVH-server on another device which manages all tuner allocations, EPG, recording, timeshif etc etc.

I have had 5 different channels playing on client devices from the two tuners in the Zgemma. There were no problems at all.

So my intent is to run this image on the Zgemmas with the GUI killed as I will not be using the HDMI output. I would probably leave it running except there appears to be no way to not have some channel playing if it is turned on.

Anyway, all is looking good.
    I just have to sort out a few small details - like how best to launch minisatip after the OpenATV GUI has been killed.

That is it ....... end of this story.
    All is well that ends well (and if it doesn't I will post back). ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭niallb

That's great info.
    I was just about to pitch in when I saw your latest post.

I used tvheadend a lot years ago and have a box full of old old PCI satellite and analog tuners to prove it! While I could always get it working, it felt painful to manage and retune in early versions.

I got a zgemma H2S about 5 years ago, though never got usb connected dvb-t working without freezing. Must try a more recent openatv, but I'll try what you're running first! I have a spark triplex combo running enigma since. It's slower than the zgemma, but works fine on an older build with dvb-t as well as dvb-s.

I just use the enigma2 service directly for feeding TV around the house. I've used KODI on raspberry pi or PC to receive it, but my favourite is dreamplayer on Android TV. You can add a bouquet from the tuner as a live channel, and the picons for channels appear on the Android TV home screen.
    All you need is the IP address of the zgemma box. The client downloads channel list and EPG. Clients are also available for iOS and firetv and even some old LG TVs could read the streams if you converted the m3u list.

My aim with our TVs is to have the same interface and no need to switch source with a different remote to watch TV instead of Netflix! This way the TV is permanently left on the same HDMI input and life is mostly simple and manageable with one remote.

Dreamplayer also has a tvheadend version though, so I could change my backend without anyone else noticing!

Thanks for posting.

You should be able to turn off the local playback by visiting the IP of the box in a browser and looking at what's playing in WebIF.

Flick the green switch at the top right from green to red.

niallb wrote: »
    You should be able to turn off the local playback by visiting the IP of the box in a browser and looking at what's playing in WebIF.

Flick the green switch at the top right from green to red.

Yes thanks, that can be done ....... but does it ensure that it stays off if turned off and on again?

It seemed not here.

In any case as I will only be using the box as a Sat>IP server there is no need to have the GUI on at all.

I am more interested in the best means of ensuring the minisatip is started after the GUI has been stopped.

Suggestions welcome. ;)

Cant speak for SAT>IP but normally if using WEBIF you can stream any channel(s) by hitting the TV icon beside the channel name with the box remaining in standby. However hitting the actual channel name 'zaps' the box to that channel and can trigger the box to come on. If you disable HDMI CEC this should not be an issue. The box may come on to try display that channel but will not start the TV. If you later change channel again, it will treat the command like a record signal and switch over if there isn't another free tuner. The difference in power consumption between standby and fully on is milliwatts.

Cant speak for SAT>IP but normally if using WEBIF you can stream any channel(s) by hitting the TV icon beside the channel name with the box remaining in standby. However hitting the actual channel name 'zaps' the box to that channel and can trigger the box to come on. If you disable HDMI CEC this should not be an issue. The box may come on to try display that channel but will not start the TV. If you later change channel again, it will treat the command like a record signal and switch over if there isn't another free tuner. The difference in power consumption between standby and fully on is milliwatts.

Yes, all that seems to be what happens (except I have not tested CEC) ....... but in the set up I am testing there is no display connected to the Zgemma, and the tuners are made available to a Tvheadend-server backend on the LAN, which administers all the usual stuff.

So my intention would be to start up the Zgemma in a 'level' (init 4? 5?) where it does not grab the tuners, or else fire it up completely and then drop back down.
    Either option immediately followed by launching minisatip to make the tuners available to the TVH backend.

How best to do that is what I need to sort out now.

I'm guessing but it seems to treat streams the same as a record timer. So even if the box is ON, a stream request should override the screen output giving you access to all tuners as needed.

I'm guessing but it seems to treat streams the same as a record timer. So even if the box is ON, a stream request should override the screen output giving you access to all tuners as needed.

What happens is that E2 grabs a tuner and locks on to a mux frequency, so only that mux would be available to TVH, unless E2 relinquishes the tuner.
    Standby would allow the two tuners to be available to TVH for use on any mux it decides is required.

Just tried a quick test on my H7 using WEBIF and was able to stream terrestrial and two different satellites at the same time. I.E all three tuners. When I switched on the TV it said 'no free tuner.'

Just tried a quick test on my H7 using WEBIF and was able to stream terrestrial and two different satellites at the same time. I.E all three tuners. When I switched on the TV it said 'no free tuner.'

yes, that is what I will avoid by not allowing the usused E2 to lock onto one of the two available tuners.

I believe I have finished this - eventually.

Running OpenATV I went into settings - Customise and set the device to start up in Standby mode.
    In /etc/init.d/rc.local I added the following to the end of the file
    sleep 10
    /usr/bin/minisatip

The attached tuners are then made available on the LAN and usable by my TVH server backend.

It took me a long time for something so simple, but am glad I did it. :D

• Advertisement

Hi @JohnBoy1951.

I've been digging away on my openatv install to set up exactly what you're talking about.
    I've put a new version of tvheadend on a server in the attic and installed mysatip.

The ideal way to stop enigma2 starting is to change the default runlevel from 3 to 5. It's set to respawn in runlevel 3, but is not started otherwise.

If you edit the file /etc/inittab
    find the line that reads id:3:initdefault and change it as below
    # The default runlevel.
    id:5:initdefault:

Then head over and take a look at the /etc/init.d directory.
    We need to make some links so that mysatip gets started in runlevel 5 and stopped in runlevel 3.
    ln -s /etc/init.d/minisatip /etc/rc5.d/S91minisatip
    ln -s /etc/init.d/minisatip /etc/rc3.d/K09minisatip

I see you suggest just starting the service with minisatip.
    This may work for your setup, though I couldn't detect the tuners from tvheadend when I did this (yet!).
    If you need to add any parameters to the service to get it to work as you'd like,
    create a new file /etc/default/minisatip with a variable like this for the extra options:
    MINISATIP_OPTS='-y 554 -R /usr/share/minisatip/html'

Put everything you need on the one line and restart - it will come up running just the mysatip service.
    You can make it back into an enigma2 box again by connecting in and changing just the runevel default back to '3' . You don't need to make any other changes.
    You can temporarily change it by connecting using ssh and typing telinit 3.
    minisatip will stop and enigma2 will take over again.

@niallb

I had previously used the command
    /usr/bin/minisatip  -f -D /usr/bin/share/minisatip/html

to start minisatip, but found it unnecessary in my setup.
    Hence the change.

I am limited in my testing recently because the signal from the 'test' sat dish is gone bad so must get it attended to (maybe new year).

I am unsure (knowing little about E2) what the differences might be in starting in level 3 as opposed to using the 'standby' option in OpenATV, but suspect there might be some as E2 appears to first launch and then go into standby.

I am not concerned about the delay that would introduce as it should happen very rarely that the box is restarted.
    I 'suspect' it is helpful to other parts of the installed system, but have no certain knowledge of it.

Essentially I made only the two changes ....

1. In WebGUI set the box to start in standby
    2. Put the minisatip command in the rc.local file

No other changes were needed here that I am aware of.

minisatip should function while E2 is launched (from what I have read) and make available the unused tuners to the LAN.

Thanks for posting your solution ;)

Thanks a million for your input.
    I was happy enough with how things were working, but now I've switched to minisatip and tvheadend
    everything is much snappier and I don't have a tuner tied up by the box in the kitchen anymore.

I've been a unix admin for decades, and work with embedded systems too,
    so setting things up in such a way that they launch with a service running is second nature.
    Doing it by runlevel was extra handy since when I was fiddling with it I could just type in 'telinit 5' for the minisatip system
    and go back to normal behaviour with 'telinit 3' when others were around who might actually want to watch the telly.
    "It'll be back in a few days" wasn't going to cut it.

The best bit is that the client we were using to watch the channels has a version for tvheadend as well as enigma2 so the interface is exacty the same,
    just a different colored icon and much faster channel changes.

I did not find the minisatip tuners automatically detected by my tvheadend install,
    but added the IP of the box to the configuration of the startup script and up they came.
    # /etc/default/tvheadend # last line
    TVH_ARGS="-d --satip_xml http://[i]IP.OF.MYSATIP.BOX[/i]:8080/desc.xml"

They're not on the same machine, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks for the feedback. ;)
    I just muddle through trying to pick up on the way how things should work. :)

Strange that TVH did not immediately 'see' the minisatip tuners.
    No doubt there are lots of differences in our setups which might account for such behaviour.
    My TVH server is on a cheap (€25) Android box running CoreElec with the client devices using Kodi +TVH client plugin.
    Regardless client device used, Kodi is installed so all devices give similar user experience.

All good for the present it seems. :D

Update:

The device has no problem serving 6 different channels with no buffering or other problems. This is better than I expected TBH.

What I have found though is that depending on how those channels are disconnected (shut down Kodi) seems to affect the availability of the tuners.
    The Zgemma or minisatip seems to lose them.
    A reboot of the Zgemma makes them available again.

I have not had time to figure out what actually happens ...... if it happens only in unusual circumstances I probaly won't even bother.

Anyway here is a pic of the six channels being received on my PC

Zgemma-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is the Zgemma box capable of showing a 7 day epg for satellite or is it just now & next? Also is it possible just to have one epg for both terrestrial and satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

hi trying to get zgemma h2s working on my wifi,i put the wifi usb dongle in but nothing happening as in not seemingly been found.
    does anyone know if i need a specfic driver ?.

yes, do you have name of usb dongle and then you look under drivers.

muahahahaha, you not read read very much of this thread go back to beginning and the answer is yes yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

swoofer wrote: »
    yes, do you have name of usb dongle and then you look under drivers.

muahahahaha, you not read read very much of this thread go back to beginning and the answer is yes yes

muahahahaha are you ok pet.

• Advertisement

ooops you have to say image you are using , have you name of usb dongle and then i can tell you name of driver but then again ..im only telling you this as I got 4 different wi fi dongles working in the h2s

Advertisement