Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record video in an apartment block

Options
  • 24-11-2020 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Is it legal to install and use a doorbell equipped with a camera that is motion activated in an apartment block? The device would be on my apartment door so the camera faces into a communal corridor i.e. not public, only the residents and buzzed in guests of residents should have access to this corridor.

My concern though is the camera activates and records not just people ringing at my door (which in itself may or may not be an issue from what little I know) but also my neighbours and their guests.

I'm on the fence as technically the camera isn't recording anything that I could not see myself hypothetically if I'd been standing at my door in place of the camera. Does the fact that it's recording when activated by motion change that? Or would me telling v not telling my neighbours in advance make any difference?

One small edit is the camera, I believe, would also catch and record a small part of the inside of my neighbours apartment as they enter and exit.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Yes it is.

The common areas of the apartment, ie, hallways, are also within your ( shared ) private space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Yes it is.

The common areas of the apartment, ie, hallways, are also within your ( shared ) private space.

Do you think it makes an impact that they get to record the inside of their neighbours apartment when their neighbour opens and closes their door when entering and leaving their private dwelling?

joeguevara wrote: »
    Do you think it makes an impact that they get to record the inside of their neighbours apartment when their neighbour opens and closes their door when entering and leaving their private dwelling?

I don't know, but I just pray that the op is not the usual piss-taker who makes up a plethora of differing and yet highly unlikely scenarios so people pass comment on them. I cannot see how a camera outside his front door is managing to look into a neighbour's for starters? Fingers crossed the op is genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Is it legal to install and use a doorbell equipped with a camera that is motion activated in an apartment block?

Aside from the legal issues, perhaps check the lease and/or management company rules to see if your particular apartment complex has any rules on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Strictly, it is likely at the discretion of the owners management company, and or the terms of your lease. Cameras which have facility to record common areas, and more particularly the entry way to other apartments could possibly be an issue.

Have you been asked to remove whatever you have put up?

It’s not unreasonable for you to want to know who is at your door before you open it. Hopefully some accommodation can be arrived at. There are also some ‘peep holes’ which have an inbuilt camera. From the outside nobody would know it was anything more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

I cannot see how a camera outside his front door is managing to look into a neighbour's for starters? Fingers crossed the op is genuine.
    Easily enough done, I've lived in an apartment before where the last in the row had a door at 90 degrees to the others, looking along the walkway instead of across it.
    And OP mentions a corridor, they could be opposite the neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SoberAsABird

I don't know, but I just pray that the op is not the usual piss-taker who makes up a plethora of differing and yet highly unlikely scenarios so people pass comment on them. I cannot see how a camera outside his front door is managing to look into a neighbour's for starters? Fingers crossed the op is genuine.

Never used this area before so didn't realise that was a thing here. I would gain absolutely nothing from watching people go back and forth. I'm just asking for help and trying to be as clear and concise as possible.

My front door is about 2 or 3 metre away (across the corridor) from my neighbours. So they're not really my next door neighbour in the sense that their door isn't to the left or right of mine they're across the hall. So if their door is open I see their kitchen.

Never used this area before so didn't realise that was a thing here. I would gain absolutely nothing from watching people go back and forth. I'm just asking for help and trying to be as clear and concise as possible.

My front door is about 2 or 3 metre away (across the corridor) from my neighbours. So they're not really my next door neighbour in the sense that their door isn't to the left or right of mine they're across the hall. So if their door is open I see their kitchen.

Ok I thought as much.

Can you supply a diagram, it would be really helpful?

What colour tiles are in their kitchen?

Thanks.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Strictly, it is likely at the discretion of the owners management company, and or the terms of your lease. Cameras which have facility to record common areas, and more particularly the entry way to other apartments could possibly be an issue.

Have you been asked to remove whatever you have put up?

It’s not unreasonable for you to want to know who is at your door before you open it. Hopefully some accommodation can be arrived at. There are also some ‘peep holes’ which have an inbuilt camera. From the outside nobody would know it was anything more.

I haven't properly installed it yet. I stickied it temporarily to where I'm going to put it to test it out and thats when I noticed the camera did activate as people walked up to my door and my neighbours so that's when I started to wonder.

I'll run it by the landlord as I've been here years so know them quite well.

Ok I thought as much.

Can you supply a diagram, it would be really helpful?

What colour tiles are in their kitchen?

Thanks.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. How would the colour of the tiles be relevant?

If this is another question of my sincerity then I'll ask a mod to just delete the post because if I'd known I'd be met with this suspicion I never would have asked the question here.

• Advertisement

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. How would the colour of the tiles be relevant?

If this is another question of my sincerity then I'll ask a mod to just delete the post because if I'd known I'd be met with this suspicion I never would have asked the question here.

Ah no please don't.

What about the diagram?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

This might drive you crazy. I have a camera doorbell for my duplex. I share a set of steps to my front door with one other duplex. They trigger the motion sensor about 20 times more than my door does.

Ah no please don't.

What about the diagram?

Alright. Well I would thank you for your initial advice but given you were the only one here who, from the start, couldn't grasp the concept of an apartment doorway facing another I'm going to completely ignore it in favor of the advice from other people who were capable of visualising in more than two dimensions.

Alright. Well I would thank you for your initial advice but given you were the only one here who, from the start, couldn't grasp the concept of an apartment doorway facing another I'm going to completely ignore it in favor of the advice from other people who were capable of visualising in more than two dimensions.

I would have thought that a simple diagram would be able to give a firm illustration of this predicament you are incurring?

To be honest I am more struggling to grasp how a camera above a doorway is getting a birdseye view of your neighbours kitchen?

A diagram would surely help everyone get a more robust angle at what is happening?

Do you own the apartment?

I would have thought that a simple diagram would be able to give a firm illustration of this predicament you are incurring?

To be honest I am more struggling to grasp how a camera above a doorway is getting a birdseye view of your neighbours kitchen?

A diagram would surely help everyone get a more robust angle at what is happening?

Do you own the apartment?

I mentioned a landlord. So what do you think?

Simple Diagram below.

DOOR1

DOOR2

Behind door number 1 is a kitchen/living room.
    Behind door number 2? Same.

The camera, I might have mentioned, is on the doorbell. I was going to be completely bonkers and put the doorbell beside the door at approx chest height but having read your suggestion of placing it over the doorway... Well I must admit I'm a fan. That way people will need a ladder to press it so while they're ringing to bother me with whatever they've come for I can rush out and knock them off the ladder. Can you advise me legally where I would stand on that? Or would you need more diagrams?

I mentioned a landlord. So what do you think?

Simple Diagram below.

DOOR1

DOOR2

Behind door number 1 is a kitchen/living room.
    Behind door number 2? Same.

The camera, I might have mentioned, is on the doorbell. I was going to be completely bonkers and put the doorbell beside the door at approx chest height but having read your suggestion of placing it over the doorway... Well I must admit I'm a fan. That way people will need a ladder to press it so while they're ringing to bother me with whatever they've come for I can rush out and knock them off the ladder. Can you advise me legally where I would stand on that? Or would you need more diagrams?

I am not so sure tbh.

What type of camera is it, as in, what model camera?

It sounds sneaky enough, considering it fits into your doorbell?

What is the model type of the camera?

Also consider that the management company might have an issue with you installing a doorbell if you don't already have one as to do so would involve drilling into common area walls.

I am not so sure tbh.

What type of camera is it, as in, what model camera?

It sounds sneaky enough, considering it fits into your doorbell?

What is the model type of the camera?

Don't know to be honest. It's one of these yokes MiTec Miview II Video Doorbell. The camera lens is visible so I dont think it's sneaky as it's not being concealed.

I'm going to lean on the side of not putting it up and just returning it. If it confounds the neighbours a fraction of how much it's confused you It's not worth it. And as others pointed out it's not as useful as one would think.

Let me know where we are with the knocking people off ladders query.

Edit. Spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You are renting, but even if you owned the apartment, you don't own the walls or doors outside of the apartment so you can't modify them to attach the camera.

Technically nearly all video doorbells are illegal as domestic CCTV shouldn't record public areas and most do. You will be installing it in a private area where the other residents have an expectation of privacy, so unless the management company already have CCTV already installed in the corridors I doubt it's legal or allowed.

Caranica wrote: »
    Also consider that the management company might have an issue with you installing a doorbell if you don't already have one as to do so would involve drilling into common area walls.

Cheers. Good catch. It's got an adhesive strip on it so I wouldn't need to drill.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    You are renting, but even if you owned the apartment, you don't own the walls or doors outside of the apartment so you can't modify them to attach the camera.

Technically nearly all video doorbells are illegal as domestic CCTV shouldn't record public areas and most do. You will be installing it in a private area where the other residents have an expectation of privacy, so unless the management company already have CCTV already installed in the corridors I doubt it's legal or allowed.

Okay that sorts it then. Appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Put the cameras up, everybody should have cameras in this day and age that we live in...

Cheers. Good catch. It's got an adhesive strip on it so I wouldn't need to drill.

Easily ripped off so. The ring doorbell has theft proof screws to avoid this.

Caranica wrote: »
    Easily ripped off so. The ring doorbell has theft proof screws to avoid this.

Yes, that's probably a fair observation. It did come with screws too but like you said the landlord may well have given grief if I'd done that.

At least I'd have been able to partially record the thieves! Illegally as it turns out...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

Why would you need one of them for, as you stated every person needs to be buzzed in. And no daubt there is cctv right outside the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They're £30 off at the moment - I know because I bought one at £89 the week before which is going back. You can set up the zones it picks up motion in its got great granularity. Also if it's the one I'm thinking off, you get a new one free if it gets nicked. Just the one though but my logic was if mine got nicked I'd sell on the replacement.

They're £30 off at the moment - I know because I bought one at £89 the week before which is going back. You can set up the zones it picks up motion in its got great granularity. Also if it's the one I'm thinking off, you get a new one free if it gets nicked. Just the one though but my logic was if mine got nicked I'd sell on the replacement.

Does it have a motion detector like the Ops one and is it able to override the standard bell and camera system which are prevalent in apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Does it have a motion detector like the Ops one and is it able to override the standard bell and camera system which are prevalent in apartments?

No it just sits outside the gaff, doesn't do anything with any existing system.

It has quite sophisticated motion detection, you can set different zones. I'm assuming the OP is talking about a 'Ring'.

Also it won't store the video unless the OP subscribes to their cloud service, it's just live view.

No it just sits outside the gaff, doesn't do anything with any existing system.

It has quite sophisticated motion detection, you can set different zones. I'm assuming the OP is talking about a 'Ring'.

Also it won't store the video unless the OP subscribes to their cloud service, it's just live view.

What is the point in having video unless it records?

• Advertisement

mea_k wrote: »
    Why would you need one of them for, as you stated every person needs to be buzzed in. And no daubt there is cctv right outside the door?

There are longer answers but a short one is I'd prefer not to answer my door to anyone/everyone who gets past the apartment building buzzer door without knowing if I want to talk to them.

Advertisement