Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Wide Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

tusk wrote: »
    Niiice.

Where would we all be without the alex drawers :pac:
    Sitting there at home, with the Alex page bookmarked in Chrome, checking it a few times a day to see is it available for order online yet...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

38" LG 38GL950G 3840 x 1600 Curved

Love it, previously using two screens (and a laptop screen when working) and wouldn't go back. The convenience of dividing the screen space into zones and snapping windows to each zone has become second nature now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

For the dubious here,

Can you split the screen?

I love my dual monitor setup. One screen for gaming, while boards and prime video say on two tables in the other screen.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

For the dubious here,

Can you split the screen?

I love my dual monitor setup. One screen for gaming, while boards and prime video say on two tables in the other screen.

If you have a picture in picture option you can split the screen across two inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

dmigsy wrote: »
    I got a cheap one, second hand, on adverts about a year ago. Crossover 34U100 - 3440x1440 resolution, 100hz. One of the best tech purchases I ever made - only regret is not buying one sooner. Had been close to buying a fancy Alienware one but glad I went for the one I did. Don't need a higher resolution or faster refresh rates. 3 browser windows open side by side is fantastic. Been brilliant for working from home. Use it for the PS4 too.

how cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

I got the following second hand Asus Rog Swift Pg348q. Would never go back to dual monitor. Can anyone recommend a monitor arm for it? It's 34 inch. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dmigsy

lawred2 wrote: »
    how cheap?

300 I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

right i shouldnt be in here, i gave up messing around with pcs as a hobby years ago, then i stumble on this and see fitz's sexy set up....

anywho, i only use pcs for work now, atm i have dual dell 24" ultra slim bezel jobbies vesa mounted, what would be the benefit to me of a superwide and how big one would i need to give similar screen real estate?

i suppose there is also the issue of being able to drive that resolution....

Cyrus wrote: »
    right i shouldnt be in here, i gave up messing around with pcs as a hobby years ago, then i stumble on this and see fitz's sexy set up....

anywho, i only use pcs for work now, atm i have dual dell 24" ultra slim bezel jobbies vesa mounted, what would be the benefit to me of a superwide and how big one would i need to give similar screen real estate?

i suppose there is also the issue of being able to drive that resolution....

driving 2d tasks at ultrawide resolutions can be done by anything even integrated graphics, its only gaming that needs GPU horsepower. If you want super high refresh rate, or ten bit colour for professional applications (important to me but mostly thats a niche thing) a decent modern GPU is needed.

I much prefer a single monitor having run a tripple monitor setup for a long time. Colour is more consistent, view angles are better and you dont end up moving your head as much. Look cool too.

given that i wouldnt be gaming on it what would folks recommend as the best 49" UWS for business use (would still want it to look reaosonably slick with slim bezels etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

given that i wouldnt be gaming on it what would folks recommend as the best 49" UWS for business use (would still want it to look reaosonably slick with slim bezels etc)

Probably something like the Dell Ultrasharp

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-ultrasharp-49-curved-monitor-u4919dw/apd/210-argk/monitors-monitor-accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We've some 34" units in our office. I reckon 49" will look like a cinema not a workstation in nearly any office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

ED E wrote: »
    We've some 34" units in our office. I reckon 49" will look like a cinema not a workstation in nearly any office.

49" is much better than a 34" from a productivity point of view, even splitting a 34" into two leaves you with two small ish sized areas to work with.

A 49" gives much more flexibility - especially when combined with Powertoys (https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys) to split the screen as you like.

well it would be replacing two 24" ultrasharps so i dont think 34" would cut it :confused:

1080p on a 49" probably wouldn't be great to be honest. Especially if you're using smaller text sizes to get the full use of the screen size

1080p on a 49" probably wouldn't be great to be honest. Especially if you're using smaller text sizes to get the full use of the screen size

good shout i assumed they were the same res :o

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

well it would be replacing two 24" ultrasharps so i dont think 34" would cut it :confused:

If you can try one. Comfortably do three regular "document" windows tiled across.

If you can try one. Comfortably do three regular "document" windows tiled across.

ok thanks, unfortunately im more likely to be using excel and the width really comes in useful especially if looking at two side by side

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

ok thanks, unfortunately im more likely to be using excel and the width really comes in useful especially if looking at two side by side

Have the dell 49" and use a lot of excel, at 100% Zoom,

1nr new sheet open Covers columns A to CA; Rows 1 to 56
    2nr side by side covers A to AM and Rows 1 to 56
    3nr side by side covers A to Z & Rows 1 to 56 (perferred setup)

• Advertisement

Have the dell 49" and use a lot of excel, at 100% Zoom,

1nr new sheet open Covers columns A to CA; Rows 1 to 56
    2nr side by side covers A to AM and Rows 1 to 56
    3nr side by side covers A to Z & Rows 1 to 56 (perferred setup)

thanks very useful

thanks very useful

Samsung LC49RG90SSUXEN 49" Curved LED Gaming Monitor - Super Ultra Wide Dual WQHD 5120 x 1440,

Its a good one, good resolution but none of the crazy gaming specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm gone mad now since reading about ultrawide monitors - was thinking of a second 24 inch for the home office but having read this thread - I'm thinking one large ultra wide

Bloody expensive buggers though

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'm gone mad now since reading about ultrawide monitors - was thinking of a second 24 inch for the home office but having read this thread - I'm thinking one large ultra wide

Bloody expensive buggers though

i did the same i have two dell 24" pro's but they will do me for now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Pick out one you like on amazon.co.uk / amazon.fr or amazon.de etc that Amazon sell directly as 'used like new'.

Buy during black Friday event when they should have 20% off used items :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 batmansDad

Provided the resolution is sufficient I would strongly recommend an ultrawide. For example 3440x1440 is a good resolution for 34" / 35" ultrawide. The cheaper models have something like: 2560 x 1080 which isn't as good.

One thing to make sure is that monitor supports Picture in Picture or Picture by Picture

Explanation:
    https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/computing/what-is-the-difference-between-pip-and-pbp/

batmansDad wrote: »
    Provided the resolution is sufficient I would strongly recommend an ultrawide. For example 3440x1440 is a good resolution for 34" / 35" ultrawide. The cheaper models have something like: 2560 x 1080 which isn't as good.

One thing to make sure is that monitor supports Picture in Picture or Picture by Picture

Explanation:
    https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/computing/what-is-the-difference-between-pip-and-pbp/

Depends on the person to be honest. I don't bother with PIP/PBP on a 34", I've gotten pretty used to just snapping and moving around windows. I certainly wouldn't call it a necessity unless you're going for a much larger screen like one of the 49" UWs which are practically two screens in one anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Multi input is only critical if you really do want 2 distinct physical sources. Otherwise a good software window manager can easily automate placement and sizing for you aswell if not better than the hardware option. I use a Samsung CRG9 with DisplayFusion Pro for this on a single input and it's a great combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My new job just gave me a Dell 34" U3415W to work on.

Good gods, it's MASSIVE!

I can't imagine how big a 49" is...

Advertisement