Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I expect all outgoing are factored in calculations.

I personally manage to save over 19k per annum pre covid, now post covid approx. 20k
    Saved per annum on net after tax income of over 25k. My income should be increasing so I hope to save more. Delighted with what I've saved so far and really enjoy it.

I dont drive, dont drink and dont smoke and dont eat out as it's usually unhealthy salt and fat laden food. I entertain my friends at home.

I hope everyone else achieves their goals. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Yyhhuuu wrote: »

I personally manage to save over 19k per annum pre covid, now post covid approx. 20k
    Saved per annum on net after tax income of over 25k. My income should be increasing so I hope to save more. Delighted with what I've saved so far and really enjoy it.

I dont drive, dont drink and dont smoke and dont eat out as it's usually unhealthy salt and fat laden food. I entertain my friends at home.

Fair play to you. Those savings are remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Do they factor in pension payments for that stress testing, as they can be stopped any time? Seems rather stupid to stop them for a few months.

When we were talking to AIB they said they wouldn't include my pension as it is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

If you can live on 100euro a week including rent food transport bills etc you are a better person than most I know with regards to saving

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Pelezico wrote: »
    Fair play to you. Those savings are remarkable.

I find trying to save 10 grand tough enough. But I drink and have a car loan atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

fin12 wrote: »
    I find trying to save 10 grand tough enough. But I drink and have a car loan atm.
    It's no shame in having a life and living it. Every one is different, keep on it!

He is the best saver I have come across. Must have enormous discipline.

Repaying a loan is the equivalent if saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Does anyone know how long harvey Norman click and collect takes?

I have heard of that kind of saving before, I have the book how to be good with money by Eoin Magee and one of his examples some guy definitely earned under 20 grand a year but managed to save like 13 k or something, they lived at home but to be honest it seemed to be me he must have had a pretty miserable life to save all that money.

I have heard of that kind of saving before, I have the book how to be good with money by Eoin Magee and one of his examples some guy definitely earned under 20 grand a year but managed to save like 13 k or something, they lived at home but to be honest it seemed to be me he must have had a pretty miserable life to save all that money.

Maybe he felt that he was in control of his life and enjoyed that feeling. Either way, the previous poster is a remarkable saver.

In the long run, one has to be careful not to be a servant of money, either as a saver or spender. Money is a very hard master.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

Heading into our fourth week waiting for word/AIP from KBC.

We are Sale Agreed on a house with holding deposit paid, survey done, and contracts with our solicitor. We have a combined income of 150k, with job security, not looking to take our maximum mortgage.

I thought banks wanted to lend money? What can possible be the delay aside from just trotting out the ‘being processed slower then usual’ line. We are using a broker which makes it trickier.

Are many others going through the same at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

narodvale wrote: »

We are Sale Agreed on a house with holding deposit paid, survey done, and contracts with our solicitor. We have a combined income of 150k, with job security, not looking to take our maximum mortgage.

I thought banks wanted to lend money? What can possible be the delay aside from just trotting out the ‘being processed slower then usual’ line. We are using a broker which makes it trickier.

Are you waiting for AIP or loan offer? I don't know about KBC but BoI and PTSB have both been super quick with AIP. Days not weeks.

HannahR31 wrote: »
    Are you waiting for AIP or loan offer? I don't know about KBC but BoI and PTSB have both been super quick with AIP. Days not weeks.

Waiting on AIP, looking to move straight to valuation, and then to loan offer as soon as we can. Application has been with KBC 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'm seeing very little mention of Ulster Bank on here or elsewhere in terms of people applying to them. Anybody have any indications of their timelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I'm seeing very little mention of Ulster Bank on here or elsewhere in terms of people applying to them. Anybody have any indications of their timelines?

There was talk of them pulling out of Ireland so perhaps people are being wary

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

narodvale wrote: »

Most agents won't even let you view a property without AIP! We went through a broker with KBC, took 3 weeks to the day to get AIP, hopefully you hear back soon.

Thanks @jimmy86,

Great to hear you were around the 3 week mark with KBC!

It's a unique situation where the property was Sale Agreed twice previously but the prospective buyer had issues so it fell through twice. The seller is looking to buy themselves, and I think we were next in line, unsure if others had bid. We're also not in a chain, and were able to show proof of funds for much of the property cost.

Though none of that will matter if the bank doesn't get moving

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Adt1989

We applied for AIP with Ulster Bank 4 weeks ago and received it today. Went ahead 2 weeks ago and applied for the mortgage on the portal and are still awaiting a loan offer. The advisor has come back multiple times looking for more paperwork prior to submitting it to the underwriters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Adt1989 wrote: »
    We applied for AIP with Ulster Bank 4 weeks ago and received it today. Went ahead 2 weeks ago and applied for the mortgage on the portal and are still awaiting a loan offer. The advisor has come back multiple times looking for more paperwork prior to submitting it to the underwriters.

Thanks. At what stage do you get access to a portal? There's been no mention of a portal from the UB person we are dealing with and I shared all the docs via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

HannahR31 wrote: »

We're also sale agreed with AIP - BOI are taking forever with the loan offer, 3 weeks now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭klose

Would banks mind you starting to pick up things now before you've gotten your letter of offer? Thinking of picking up a new telly with the black Friday deals coming up. Booking deposit paid, engineering report sent for just waiting on banks and solicitors now to thrash out the formalities. Would they be questioning big purchases for house bits basically what I'm asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I am able to save so much as I have no rent to pay, it also helps that I walk everywhere ( about 15km per day) which really makes me feel good. I dont go to a gym but swim in the sea which is far more invigorating than a pool.

My expenses are literally only Electricity and phone (9.99 a month). I buy all my food reduced to clear. I can make a main course for about €1 no processed food and certainly not beans on toast. I used to treat myself to about four foreign holidays pre-covid usually London which I love. These cost very little as great value accommodation.

If saving, my advice is to differentiate between needs and wants. Ask yourself do you need this, will you use it? Before buying anything think twice especially if buying on impulse.

It's amazing how cutting back on small things adds up to savings like daily coffees or especially eating out. The best things in life are usually free. Look through your bank statements and see what you can cut back on or identify waste such as gym membership rarely used, expensive phone plans when 48.ie or go mo would be better. Satellite dish instead of cable tv etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Adt1989

Thanks. At what stage do you get access to a portal? There's been no mention of a portal from the UB person we are dealing with and I shared all the docs via email.
    We got access within 2 days of deciding to do full application over just AIP. The mortgage advisor just needs to set you up and sends a link to log in to your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

klose wrote: »
    Would banks mind you starting to pick up things now before you've gotten your letter of offer? Thinking of picking up a new telly with the black Friday deals coming up. Booking deposit paid, engineering report sent for just waiting on banks and solicitors now to thrash out the formalities. Would they be questioning big purchases for house bits basically what I'm asking :)

We are in the same boat and decided to ask our advisor in EBS and she said it wouldn't be a problem in her eyes.

I am able to save so much as I have no rent to pay, it also helps that I walk everywhere ( about 15km per day) which really makes me feel good. I dont go to a gym but swim in the sea which is far more invigorating than a pool.

My expenses are literally only Electricity and phone (9.99 a month). I buy all my food reduced to clear. I can make a main course for about €1 no processed food and certainly not beans on toast. I used to treat myself to about four foreign holidays pre-covid usually London which I love. These cost very little as great value accommodation.

If saving, my advice is to differentiate between needs and wants. Ask yourself do you need this, will you use it? Before buying anything think twice especially if buying on impulse.

It's amazing how cutting back on small things adds up to savings like daily coffees or especially eating out. The best things in life are usually free. Look through your bank statements and see what you can cut back on or identify waste such as gym membership rarely used, expensive phone plans when 48.ie or go mo would be better. Satellite dish instead of cable tv etc etc.

Would u pay for Netflix or any subscription like that? What about clothes?

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This sounds absolutely miserable, to be honest.

I would not recommend this approach to anyone, instead I'd recommend finding a more appropriate balance between saving and having some sort of a life.

Would u pay for Netflix or any subscription like that? What about clothes?

He is obviously a naturist
    Spends that much time in Garda custody for indecent exposure that it's no wonder his living expenses are so low :D

awec wrote: »
    This sounds absolutely miserable, to be honest.

I would not recommend this approach to anyone, instead I'd recommend finding a more appropriate balance between saving and having some sort of a life.

I have a BIL who lives somewhat like this
    He does drink and smoke and gets a takeaway once a week
    However he scrimps and saves
    Cheap drink ,cheap tobacco
    Its an illness in my opinion

Sorry off topic but it is actually to do with saving money?

Anyone with an post mobile? I’m currently with Vodafone and pay €30 a month but I see an post have a €15 a month plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Sorry off topic but it is actually to do with saving money?

Anyone with an post mobile? I’m currently with Vodafone and pay €30 a month but I see an post have a €15 a month plan.

Gomo is 12.99pm
    48 is 7.99pm

I'm using 48 myself, no issues at all. There are threads on both if you look them up.

Advertisement