Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Posted in the phoenix park thread as well.

Was heading down by the Aras in the Phoenix park earlier. On the drops and going at pace - 40 kph plus. €150 worth of seesense lights blaring back and front. Still didn't stop some dope overtaking me and pulling into the cycle lane, stopping abruptly in front of me. He swerved in without warning i genuinely thought he was deliberately trying to kill me or he had collapsed at the wheel. Closest I've come to being milled in a while. Never under estimate the tools on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Very close near miss left hook courtesy of a Dublin taxi driver

https://streamable.com/8srvjw

Very close near miss left hook courtesy of a Dublin taxi driver

https://streamable.com/8srvjw

What cyclist? sure all I could see was the sun judge.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What cyclist? sure all I could see was the sun judge.
    Given a previous verdict in the courts, it's a valid excuse for killing someone :rolleyes:

Make sure you wear bright colours so drivers can see you on the road;

https://streamable.com/27rz47

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I experienced a lot of very poor driving today for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Maybe I am missing a bit of the clip, but it looks like he indicated when the cyclist was behind, seem to be a cyclist error.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

indicating does not give you right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,078 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Flashing orange lights on a car allow you to do whatever you like. Turn through people, park on double yellows, stop in the middle of roads

Maybe I am missing a bit of the clip, but it looks like he indicated when the cyclist was behind, seem to be a cyclist error.

Is that how you drive on a dual carriageway - indicate and pull across the inside lane of traffic assuming they will pull out of your way?

• Advertisement

No excuse for the car but the guy does himself no favors either in that if he had to apply heavy breaking he only had one to choose from it was the one that was sending him over the bars. Was he on his phone there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

The car was ahead of him and indicating... He the one that has right of way. Cyclist could see clearly what happening and has time to react, he could have slowed down as the majority of cyclists would have done in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The car was ahead of him and indicating... He the one that has right of way. Cyclist could see clearly what happening and has time to react, he could have slowed down as the majority of cyclists would have done in that situation.

Yeah but again this situation is not the same for cars travelling on a dual carriageway. You can't just pull across from the right lane and swing left, ignoring the car on your inside left.

It wouldnt have bothered me if I was on the bike. You can see him turning from a fair bit back. Its not the same as an overtake and turn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Car was in the wrong, but as a cyclist you should always be prepared for things like that. In an ideal world you shouldn't have to, but I always follow the mantra that cyclists are invisible to vehicles and you should try to behave like that's always the case.

The car was ahead of him and indicating... He the one that has right of way.

Please tell me that you're not a driver. Please tell me you don't drive like this, slapping on your indicator to claim ' right of way and cutting up other road users?

No excuse for the car but the guy does himself no favors either in that if he had to apply heavy breaking he only had one to choose from it was the one that was sending him over the bars. Was he on his phone there?

He had a coffee in his left hand and was tootling along a very gentle speed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The cyclist had stopped pedalling before the video even started, he was well prepared for it and slowing, I'd even go as far as to say he was letting the car go.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The cyclist had stopped pedalling before the video even started, he was well prepared for it and slowing, I'd even go as far as to say he was letting the car go.

Also everyone looks like they are going about 5kph

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The car was ahead of him and indicating... He the one that has right of way.

The cycle lane has a solid white line - it's a distinct separate lane that's being crossed. If you're leaving your lane, you don't have priority over someone who's already in the lane.

If it was a broken line then you'd be correct as both would be in the same lane - but that isn't the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Clip isn't long enough to say for sure tbh. You're not allowed to overtake on the left while cycling if a vehicle ahead has indicitated left and it's likely they'll be turning before you overtake. As someone said above it's entirely possible the driver was indicating well in advance and the cyclist was holding back waiting for them to turn as they're supposed to. They were clearly waiting for them, not pedalling. Actually looks like they're concentrating on holding something in their left hand?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Of all the poor driving incidents that go on, this is simply not one of them based on the video. Cyclist has slowed / given way, video doesn't show anything much pre turn but based on that I would have to say that the cyclist not only expected it and gave way, he may have even signalled it as the car seems to be holding back until the cyclist has slowed.

if I was driving, I wouldn't have turned but I see nothing dangerous there, and there is plenty to give out about on that road daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

CramCycle wrote: »
    if I was driving, I wouldn't have turned but I see nothing dangerous there, and there is plenty to give out about on that road daily.
    Last time I was driving in that situation I was given out to for waiting for them to overtake when they were waiting for me to turn, some people really don't like losing momentum!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kiss1037

blackwhite wrote: »
    The cycle lane has a solid white line - it's a distinct separate lane that's being crossed. If you're leaving your lane, you don't have priority over someone who's already in the lane.

If it was a broken line then you'd be correct as both would be in the same lane - but that isn't the case here.

Line looks like a broken line at the junction , Honestly, what is the correct protocol here as seems to always have 2 views is there consistency in the law or as usual just grey area

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Kiss1037 wrote: »
    Line looks like a broken line at the junction , Honestly, what is the correct protocol here as seems to always have 2 views is there consistency in the law or as usual just grey area

Lines change to broken at a junction to indicate that it's legal to cross the lane. It doesn't change that the cycle lane is marked and signed as a mandatory cycle lane with a solid white before and after - with hours of operation indicated also

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3237934,-6.2510065,3a,66.8y,130.91h,93.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXUPTXA6Sjl1lFrWOYQbDFQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Further back (from Nightmarket back towards the city) is a non-Mandatory lane, and is marked as such with a broken line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Speaking of crossing cycle lanes, someone I know was in an incident a few weeks ago where he was cycling along and a car was crossing the road in front of him (perpendicular to the main road from a side road straight across to an entrance to a driveway). This was a reasonable distance ahead, maybe 50m. The car stopped in the middle of the road to let a pedestrian cross in front of his driveway, but the guy I know kept cycling on because the car was stopped and the bike lane was clear. Car moved off again, crossing the bike lane, and the guy I know slammed on his bike brakes to avoid a collision and flew head over heels.

I thought he should have waited for the car to complete the movement as he could see what was happening, but I figure he thought it would be safe to do so with the bike lane free in that moment. There was a solid white line along the bike lane and based on previous comments that could be a factor?

Seems very grey to me, but I wonder if he has a claim for the bit of damage to his bike.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Speaking of crossing cycle lanes, someone I know was in an incident a few weeks ago where he was cycling along and a car was crossing the road in front of him (perpendicular to the main road from a side road straight across to an entrance to a driveway). This was a reasonable distance ahead, maybe 50m. The car stopped in the middle of the road to let a pedestrian cross in front of his driveway, but the guy I know kept cycling on because the car was stopped and the bike lane was clear. Car moved off again, crossing the bike lane, and the guy I know slammed on his bike brakes to avoid a collision and flew head over heels.

I thought he should have waited for the car to complete the movement as he could see what was happening, but I figure he thought it would be safe to do so with the bike lane free in that moment. There was a solid white line along the bike lane and based on previous comments that could be a factor?

Seems very grey to me, but I wonder if he has a claim for the bit of damage to his bike.

If he knew the car was trying to turn into the driveway and only stopped for a pedestrian ide say the cyclist was being selfish. He could either wait or if possible go round the outside of the turning car. Sounds like the kind of must pass driving we all hate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

Please tell me that you're not a driver. Please tell me you don't drive like this, slapping on your indicator to claim ' right of way and cutting up other road users?

Tell me you're not a cyclist. :p
    A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

From the clip, the driver was indicating before the turn and before the cyclist had started to overtake, so the cyclist was not permitted to overtake on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Cyclist in the wrong here, or more to the point, car is not in the wrong - as hard as that is to admit. Another point - given Ranelagh is one of the tightest chokepoints on the City--> Southside rat corridors and extremely variable even on a good day, why would you choose to keep one hand occupied and not involved in controlling the bike??

No coffee is that good!! :pac:

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Cyclist in the wrong here, or more to the point, car is not in the wrong - as hard as that is to admit. Another point - given Ranelagh is one of the tightest chokepoints on the City--> Southside rat corridors and extremely variable even on a good day, why would you choose to keep one hand occupied and not involved in controlling the bike??

No coffee is that good!! :pac:

I didn't notice the coffee first time but on first watch no one was at fault. A car slowly indicated and turned ahead of a bike that had plenty of time to saunter past. All I see is 2 considerate road users

Advertisement